2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Biggest Driving Range Annoyances

When the range is empty, miles of room to use. And some stranger comes up right beside me and starts hitting balls..... BAH ;) :cheesy: :cheesy: Its worse if they talk to themselves :cheesy:

or on there Cell phones the whole time......................

Lol, and they grab 100 balls and only hit 30 of them with 2 hands :cheesy:

Thats classic because I see that all the time since I work at a range. Nothing really bothers me to be honest except for one thing. I don't mind people talking on the phone, little kids running around, swing advice that I'm not listening to, and to be honest I don't mind people interrupting me to talk because if they're passionate about the game then I don't mind taking a few seconds to answer a question or help if I can.

The one thing that really bothers me is people who either A. pull one of my clubs out without asking or B. contuinally ask to hit my stuff. Now its different if you're a friend or I've seen/talked to you a buncha times but theres nothing worse than a random watching you bomb a driver and then want to hit it like the only reason is the driver.

I can see how that would be annoying. Become left handed :cheesy:

I don't have many issues at the range. Usually people leave me alone, unless they're watching me hit hooded 3 irons at the guy picking range.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not driving range, but practice putting green annoyance:

People who "play 18" on the practice green, meaning they hit three balls to the first practice hole, then three to the next, and so on.

What is that all about? Why can't they just use one hole, and if they want to practice different putts, just hit some from above the hole, some from below, some from farther away, and so on.

This moving from hole to hole annoys me alot, because I usually spend quite some time on the practice green and stick to a particular hole. Inevitably at some point someone will insist on putting to the same hole because it is obviously the next in his "round", although there are about ten other holes, where nobody is putting.

Maybe they think it is a miniature golf track. But I think they should know better due to the absence of windmills and Eiffel towers.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

one thing i hate more than anything, is ther a range near me that has one of these discount stores on it, who push there own brands on people, like john letters and adams golf etc.

they will be talking crap non stop about how great these clubs are and some poor sap gets decked out in a full set of john letters, i just want to say they push this on everyone buy a decent make!

Not driving range, but practice putting green annoyance:

People who "play 18" on the practice green, meaning they hit three balls to the first practice hole, then three to the next, and so on.

What is that all about? Why can't they just use one hole, and if they want to practice different putts, just hit some from above the hole, some from below, some from farther away, and so on.

This moving from hole to hole annoys me alot, because I usually spend quite some time on the practice green and stick to a particular hole. Inevitably at some point someone will insist on putting to the same hole because it is obviously the next in his "round", although there are about ten other holes, where nobody is putting.

Maybe they think it is a miniature golf track. But I think they should know better due to the absence of windmills and Eiffel towers.

I am with you on that one. Similarly to your situation, I was hitting 35-40yard pitches to a hole on the PITCHING GREEN, when a father teaching his son decides it was time to work on 10 foot putts to that same hole. They apparently didn't notice the collection of balls around the hole or maybe thought they had just fallen out of the sky. I kinda chipped one up to the hole to get their attention, then stopped and stared at them when they looked up till they got the hint. The real kicker to this story is that there is a PUTTING GREEN about 50 yards away!!!! Total epitome of dumb and lazy!! Poor kid is learning to be a moron just like dad!

Another good one was the nice old gentleman who loves giving out swing advice. He means well and I don't get mad but I was there trying to work on my swing plane with my video camera set up and everything when he came over to pontificate. I smiled and said "OK I'll try that." Then purposely shanked one and said, "Hmmm I guess that doesn't work for me." Got him off my back without me having to be mean.

But hey, I would rather be on the driving range dealing with dummies than at work dealing with dummies. You gotta take it all in perspective or else golf stops being fun. I hope I live long enough and stay in good enough shape to be the nice old gentleman dealing out unsolicited advice on the range.

i can't beleive someone would have the nerve to give you advice when you are wearing earphones. also, i would be very uncomfortable giving any advice to a stranger. seems like common sense. i was a plus handicap in my college days and never really like giving advice. i bet most guys that come up to you can't even break 80!

Here are mine:

1. The parent who knows NOTHING about golf who is out there trying to teach their kid how to swing. Get the kid a coach if you want them to be a player.

2. People who scrounge balls from each stall. Dude buy some balls if you want to hit out there!

3. The "Range pro" that wants anyone within earshot to hear how great they played the other day.

4. Parents who let their kids run wild and yell and scream while others are trying to practice.

5. People who hog the whole chipping area like they own the place. This is the same dude who never bought range balls.

• 4 weeks later...
The biggest driving range annoyances ---

1. Driving range regulars.

2. Driving ranges.

3. The cost of hitting balls.

4. How people continue to use golf as their form of hobby, when basketball is the more cost saving and healthier choice.

true. but in basketball you can get dunked on. that's not very cool. But I do agree, basketball is awesome. I think the best part is you can play with anyone in pick up games and great opportunity to meet new people/

I hate the guys who think just because they paid $9 for a bucket of balls that they own the range!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Tuesday at the range it was a bit cooler out, so I parked under the range cover. About 12 stalls, with about 4 signs that says "Cell phone use prohibited in this area".

In the 1/2 hour that I was there, 4 people were on their cell phones in this area.

Did you mention to them that they were apparently in the cell phone prohibited area or did you just grimace in disbelief that they were not obeying the sign that was posted in several locations?

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

I got one!

How about the guy who brings the hot chick with him and lets her hit golf balls! How am I supposed to concentrate with that going on?????? screws my whole swing up! :wub:

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

I got one!

How about the guy who brings the hot chick with him and lets her hit golf balls! How am I supposed to concentrate with that going on?????? screws my whole swing up! :wub:

That is the worst distraction in the world.....totally unfair!!!!

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

I try not to let stuff bother me on the range. I used to be one of those smokers who just didnt care. If I was outside, and it was not marked as a "no smoking" area, to be honest, I really didnt care what anyone else thought about me smoking. I no longer smoke, but someone smoking outside really doesnt bother me. Now, if it were in an enclosed area, it would be different, but it probably wouldnt be a driving range, and I most likely wouldnt be hitting golf balls. Just like the mentality that "smokers dont own the world and shouldnt smoke around others", neither do the non-smokers, and you certainly should not be telling another adult what not to do when what he is doing is within the law. If I were outdoors smoking, and you came up to me and asked me, or were brave enough to TELL me, to put it out, I would probably tell you to get bent.

the only thing that bothers me is when someone wants to give me advice. I'm not the best golfer. Hell, i'm not even good in my mind. But, if I wanted someones advice, I would seek it. I usually just continue hitting balls and when they stop talking, just mumble" uh huh" under my breath. I dont make eye contact, and after a minute or so, they are usually on their way.

when your just hitting balls, a guy comes up beside you hits 2 wedges maybe a 7 iron, then takes the driver and swings with all his might........

i forgot to menton with every swing for the fence he RIPS a fart, and the smell lingers,

honest to god this happend it was funny at first but then it just smelled