2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Mad Mad Mad (Tiger Not Selected Athlete of Year)

mattbbaker

I just saw that TW didn't get AP Male athlete of the year. Wasn't that mad at first but he didnt even get second place. Brady won by 18 votes over Federer...then TW was third...come on...how ridiculous is that...Brady is good but but nowhere even close does he deserve this. I can make an argument for Federer ...and also even though some of you spit at the Fedex Cup...it was an inaugural big time event and Tiger won it by a landslide. Looks like there may be some tomfoolery going on over at the AP building...just my 2 cents...maybe I am biased

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with you. Brady is having probably the best year he will ever have and has set so many records (this year). Tiger won it last year, but he had two majors. Yeah, this year was great, but not like last year. I personally think the FedEx cup is okay, but it's not like winning a major. I bet Tiger would trade the FedEx cup for another Major this year. Federer won 3 majors this year (which unto itself is amazing)...he deserves to have won it more than Tiger did. I don't think they made any mistakes with how this turned out.

I've got to agree with the last two guys. Federer was as dominant as ever. Not only did he win 3 majors, but he also was in the finals of the French Open. Brady's team is headed to an undefeated regular season and he's lighting up the record books. Compared to Tiger it's not even close.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I plead the fifth! :busted2:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

at the risk of ruffling feathers....

you guys are WRONG WRONG WRONG, and I almost always agree with kenk...

brady is lighting up the record books by rolling up scores against teams that are not competitive, and doing it mostly when games are already decided. touchdowns are coming in bunches because he plays sad sack teams, sometimes twice. from a purely statistical standpoint this season is good, but if you are going to beat washington 52-3 or whatever, then every touchdown after the second one was meaningless. he is going to set the record against the giants, who will have their special teams players playing most of the defense, so that won't be anything worth writing home about, and who will be sitting their key offensive players, so they won't be staying on the field overly long on the right side of the ball. because the nfl is what it is this year, and because the patriots are CHEATERS from the top down, his records are tarnished and he isn't the athlete of anything important.

take him out of the mix and you have a serious competition between federer and tiger. it would be hard not to give it federer.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

I'm not a Patriot's fan, but you can say all you want about them, they are clearly the best. Records and all. You say Brady couldn't do what he has done with out the guys around him, duh! Joe Montana had a team around him, Terry Bradshaw etc...had a team around them. It's all about coaching. Tiger is the best and probably will be for a while. He will continue to cash his checks as the best! The best are always judged by the records the break and then set. Even when they take roids, allegedly! Sorry Bonds fans!

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

Personally I don't care if Brady or anyone else is picked. It seems like you can make a case for TW every year which in effect makes the award boring.

I agree with the above argument against Brady because his records are coming against mediocre competition when the game is already decided. It's nothing special to run up a score. And Federer's level of competition is pretty pathetic. Is he so dominant or is it because American tennis is at an all time low? He cannot even consistently beat the one guy who does give him the most competition - Nadal. At least for TW, his competition is varied and he plays/wins on many different types of courses.

Regardless, at least it's not Lance Armstrong or any other cyclist.

How can anyone be MAD, MAD, MAD.......it's a frickin' award that he should be grateful to win (if he does). He didn't, so the true sportsman would be happy for the one who did win...not bitter. Because he expected it and didn't win, and now throws a fit, just reflects poorly IMHO.

Cardo

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

i dont think brady should get it because if the team thing. dont get me wrong, he is the best quaterback right now but not athlete of the year.

Federer plays bums in a match play system every round. Yes he dominates but his compitition is pathetic. Tiger plays against a much higher level of compitition and has to beat 143 other guys every week. If Tiger could play 4 match play rounds every week I know he would lose alot of them, but throughout the year he would have more victories than he does now in stroke events.

I think the easier an athlete wins their respective sports' major events, the less the voters and the public view that victory as a big accomplishment. I watch golf and understand the rigors and pressure of having to beat a field of players that could have the best four days of their life, when you are having the best four days of your life. Now, with tennis, it simply match play and you react (phyiscally and mentally) to what your opponent is doing. You don't ever worry about the other matches in progress, because they will not determine your fate. However, in golf, you cannot force your opponent to hit a bad shot after you stick it tight or pump a drive down the middle. So when I see Federer and Woods winning tournaments, especially majors I look at the victory as accomplishment, but I also expect it from them and it doesn't surprise me. I never, for one second expected Tom Brady to do what he is doing, especially in a sport like football that is high energy and has an endless amounts of variables that can be the difference in winning and losing. Golf and Tennis have variables that can be controlled by the athlete and because of that control, guys like Woods and Federer can dominate like they do.

[quote name='DieselMp32' post='836824' date='Dec 25 2007, 08:36 PM']gotta agree with the year Brady is having, it's hard to argue his selection...

it's possibly the greatest performance by a QB EVER...

2 majors, and the Fed Ex cup...? as sweet as that is, it doesn't compare to 16-0... if Tiger had won the other 2 majors he blew then he would have won it over Brady...[/quote]

I'm not trying to correct you, but Tiger only won one major this year. Without discussing who should have won 1st or 2nd, Tiger deserved 3rd this year.

For those of you that are dissing Brady when he and NE breeze through the playoffs will you feel the same way?

Name Team G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int Rush Yds Y/G Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL
Tom Brady NWE 15 117.2 366 536 68.3 4450 296.7 8.3 48 8 33 102 6.8 3.1 2 20 118 5

The guys stats are awesome

As far as the cheating New England got caught doing what every team in the league does trying to get and edge lets get over it

And no I am a Dallas fan

Note even Tiger would say no majors bad year

i still say tiger deserved second to federer. i know the competition is not great in tennis right now, but all Federer can do is beat whoever they put on the other side of the net. the patriots are setting the record by running up the score in what basketball fans know as "garbage time." golf and tennis don't have "garbage time." also, it can't be ignored that the patriots got caught cheating, stealing defensive signs, which goes directly to play calling on offense, which goes directly to Brady's success. Belichek got the punishment of course, but that cheating helped Brady's numbers. also, they were cheating to try to beat the friggin Jets: that would be like Tiger cheating to beat my mother.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Mizuno T-22 wedges

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='836838' date='Dec 25 2007, 08:55 PM']For those of you that are dissing Brady when he and NE breeze through the playoffs will you feel the same way?

Name Team G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int Rush Yds Y/G Avg TD Sack YdsL Fum FumL
Tom Brady NWE 15 117.2 366 536 68.3 4450 296.7 8.3 48 8 33 102 6.8 3.1 2 20 118 5

As far as the cheating New England got caught doing what every team in the league does trying to get and edge lets get over it

And no I am a Dallas fan

Note even Tiger would say no majors bad year[/quote]

tiger won the PGA, i believe that is still a major

[quote name='mizunofan2' post='836849' date='Dec 25 2007, 09:04 PM'][quote name='kenk7us2002' post='836838' date='Dec 25 2007, 08:55 PM']For those of you that are dissing Brady when he and NE breeze through the playoffs will you feel the same way?

And no I am a Dallas fan

tiger won the PGA, i believe that is still a major
[/quote]

oops yeah sorta forgot that one

I will say this if Brady does not win the Superbowl they should take away his award

Tiger's placement in any annual vote is dependent on the standards that Tiger has set himself. Yes, he must finish number one and he must win the most tournaments, which he has done.

He must now also win at least two or more majors, or maybe a major and the Fed Ex Cup/Players/WGC events. It would not hurt either for him to be a significant part of a U.S. Ryder Cup win. Right or wrong, anything less than what was accomplished in 2000 is unbelievably considered an average year for Tiger.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

the last thing i'll say on this is the following:

it doesn't matter if everyone now is trying to steal signals, etc. what you would have to show is that the 49ers, Dolphins, Packers, Colts, etc. were stealing signals when their QBs worked up those records. also, it is a very bad message that the organization has not disclosed anything about this, have just paid the fine and shut up, when people are asking how much of the information they cheated to obtain is still helping them get through their season and the playoffs. i would like to know that, for sure.

if you are going to use the excuse everyone is doing it, then bonds gets no asterisk since some pitchers he faced were on HGH or roids, and he is just the best hitter of all time. AND, he has about 20 per cent more of a human head than he had when he broke into the league, and Aaron retired with the same size head, so Bonds has improved on that as well.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Mizuno T-22 wedges

[quote name='rankoutsider' post='836875' date='Dec 25 2007, 09:28 PM']the last thing i'll say on this is the following:

it doesn't matter if everyone now is trying to steal signals, etc. what you would have to show is that the 49ers, Dolphins, Packers, Colts, etc. were stealing signals when their QBs worked up those records. also, it is a very bad message that the organization has not disclosed anything about this, have just paid the fine and shut up, when people are asking how much of the information they cheated to obtain is still helping them get through their season and the playoffs. i would like to know that, for sure.

if you are going to use the excuse everyone is doing it, then bonds gets no asterisk since some pitchers he faced were on HGH or roids, and he is just the best hitter of all time. AND, he has about 20 per cent more of a human head than he had when he broke into the league, and Aaron retired with the same size head, so Bonds has improved on that as well.[/quote]

There is a problem with your analogy you can not prove Bonds did roids we will have to see if the goverment can

Football teams have been scouting and looking for and edge since the begining having someone stand with a camera goes down as stupid getting caught stupider but thats it no big deal and they paid a harsh penalty

I think Federer should have won it. Federer had a GREAT year by all standards, even Tigers standards, Tiger a some what modest year for his normal standards.

Federer won 3 Gran slams this year and was in the final at the 4.th Gran Slam. He also won what is considered the "Fed Ex Cup" of tennis at Shanghai, the Masters Cup, in November.
The guys who argue, that the competition in tennis is thin at the moment obviously aren't aware, that the same could be said about the current competition in golf.
Tiger is much better than the rest. Federer is much better than the rest.

To everyone who says that the competition in tennis is not very deep. That's just not true. Federer is so much better than everyone else, that it makes the competition seem weak. It's quite the opposite. Competition has never been better or deeper. Athletes work harder, hit harder, run faster and above all this stands the mighty Federer dealing out strokes of genius.
Another anti-Federer argument is that he does not have to beat as many opponents as Tiger. I daresay if Tiger played as many matchplay tournaments as Federer he would've won less and be physically and mentally emaciated.

[quote name='kenk7us2002' post='836838' date='Dec 25 2007, 07:55 PM']For those of you that are dissing Brady when he and NE breeze through the playoffs will you feel the same way?

And no I am a Dallas fan

They should have lost to the Unheathy Colts in the regular season, and will lose to a Heathy Colts team in the playoffs. No team sets up cameras to watch coaches live to effect the outcome of a game during play. He should have been fired! And I am no Colts fans!

Good for Brady. I'm tired of hearing about Tiger. He's clearly the most dominant player in golf right now, but it's getting rather boring if you ask me. What's this have to do with tour equipment shouldn't this be this be a general discussion?

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5*

Taylormade Stealth 15*
Taylormade Stealth 22*

Sri on Z U85 26*
Adam’s A-Tour Red 5-P
Edel 54* DVR, 58* DVR

Ping PLD Milled DS-72

All i'm going to add is how many records would Brady be setting if he didn't have Moss as a target? Have you seen the impact that Moss has had on QBs since his entrance into the league?

Now that isn't taking anything away from Brady as he will go down as one of the greats, but if the pats didn't have Moss he wouldn't be lighting it up.

Can any of you answer me what single season scoring record the pats are chasing? I'll give you a hint...think purple :busted2:

federer beats nadal at every other surface than clay.
clay is the only surface nadal is competitive to federer on as it complements his style of play.
being quick from edge to edge.
it is a known fact that nadal's playing style is ruining his body. it is too high tempo and high impact.

on the other hand. federer is very efficient, smooth and controlled. his playing style is simply the most efficient yet seen.
i can see him being fit for a long time save some foot issues, which is common to tennis players due to having to cut and change directions at high speeds.

however, the way federer controls play to his whim, makes it that much easier to maintain his body.

simply put. he is dominant in a way never before seen.
american tennis may be at an all time low, but there are plenty of global competitors that are very high quality. safin, hewitt, etc. however, federer is just that ridiculously consistent and injury free, in a surprisingly high impact sport.

also. by the time you get to the final round. do you know how many high intensity matches a tennis player has to play?
getting to the finals of a major is not easy.

golfers have what? 4 rounds of walking? i'm not saying it's easier, but getting to the finals every time means that he plays that many more emotionally and physically draining matches.
and when you're number one. everyone brings their a game. nobody disrespects federer with their b/c game. cuz they just get demolished.

and i believe a young buck recently beat federer? guillermo canas beat him twice this year, david nalbandian, novak dokovic, nadal, all beat him this year.

but on a side note, he beat nadal on clay. twice this year. meaning either federer is figuring clay out, or nadal is breaking down.

but yea. there is parity in tennis. that and the grind of a full tennis season, when ur making more than 85% of the finals, is a loooong a** season.

in short. he is that dominant. but can lose. because there are other great players as well.

and who does tiger compete with?

you can make the same argument that tiger doesnt play anybody @ a similar level to himself.