2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Fantasy trip: A month in Scotland UPDATED: DAILY ITINERARY ADDED

philsRHman

The more I think about it, driving 6+ hours in what's likely a small car for 6-7 hours, after a red eye, even with stops along the way sounds kind of miserable. I have found an Aer Lingus flight that connects through Dublin and gets me right to EDI at 8 am on arrival day (it leaves 3 hours earlier from NYC, but that's fine). It's also cheaper than my United flight direct to EDI was. I just lose the flexibility if United reinstates the EDI flights in the next few weeks, and if the trip gets cancelled again I'm stuck with an Aer Lingus credit instead of United.  

Anyone ever fly Aer Lingus? I'd guess most of these carriers are about the same these days. More than anything, I'm spiraling and have too much up in the air at the moment, so I should probably just get something buttoned up. Even as I type this, I'm like, ugh, maybe that drive wouldn't be too bad. Since I'm going for 3 weeks, I definitely have enough fat in the itinerary to account for this.

Now I'm talking/typing myself into knots again LOL. This is why I travel alone, imagine being a travel companion and having to deal with me when I get like this? 

2 hours ago, philsRHman said:

The more I think about it, driving 6+ hours in what's likely a small car for 6-7 hours, after a red eye, even with stops along the way sounds kind of miserable. I have found an Aer Lingus flight that connects through Dublin and gets me right to EDI at 8 am on arrival day (it leaves 3 hours earlier from NYC, but that's fine). It's also cheaper than my United flight direct to EDI was. I just lose the flexibility if United reinstates the EDI flights in the next few weeks, and if the trip gets cancelled again I'm stuck with an Aer Lingus credit instead of United.  

Anyone ever fly Aer Lingus? I'd guess most of these carriers are about the same these days. More than anything, I'm spiraling and have too much up in the air at the moment, so I should probably just get something buttoned up. Even as I type this, I'm like, ugh, maybe that drive wouldn't be too bad. Since I'm going for 3 weeks, I definitely have enough fat in the itinerary to account for this.

Now I'm talking/typing myself into knots again LOL. This is why I travel alone, imagine being a travel companion and having to deal with me when I get like this? 

Jeepers, you are more fickle than weather forecasts! 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, philsRHman said:

You wouldn’t even board the plane!

Lock up a flight to Scotland, get a car rented and post again when you’ve landed safely. 

• Haha 2

Thought I would post this here for you to prep yourself for golf in Scotland.

Well I am two rounds into Scottish golf again(2 other practice few holes) and wow I am struggling! 2 years and I have forgotten a lot of how to play here.

Sand is soooo different to Texas; soft and fluffy with much smaller grains, you get very little bounce in the bunkers.

Forgot how penal the fairway bunkers are; yesterdays round I hit one off the tee and a nice double. I had to play sideways into the thick rough for my second then missed the green; it was the first hole too!

Down wind I am fine but as soon as I turn into the wind, I just almost chip it and don't swing properly and I am all over the place. I know what to do but my body won't let me swing softer and normally - so frustrating!

Chipping - the first bounce is so firm then the greens are running much faster than I remember them.

With such a wet May here the gorse has grown very fast and there seems to be far more of it than there used to be; to me this is not fair as its almost an auto lost ball if you go into it.

The fairways are very firm; - prime example is at least 30 yards on a 2 iron after pitching.

Playing St Andrews Old or New next week but my friend who is a member says its much firmer than Royal Aberdeen as they have have not used the sprinklers on the fairways like they have up here. 

Right now my handicap is probe going to go up 10 shots if I continue the way I have started! I miss easy Texan Golf!

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

2 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Well I am two rounds into Scottish golf again(2 other practice few holes) and wow I am struggling! 2 years and I have forgotten a lot of how to play here.

Sand is soooo different to Texas; soft and fluffy with much smaller grains, you get very little bounce in the bunkers.

Forgot how penal the fairway bunkers are; yesterdays round I hit one off the tee and a nice double. I had to play sideways into the thick rough for my second then missed the green; it was the first hole too!

Down wind I am fine but as soon as I turn into the wind, I just almost chip it and don't swing properly and I am all over the place. I know what to do but my body won't let me swing softer and normally - so frustrating!

Chipping - the first bounce is so firm then the greens are running much faster than I remember them.

With such a wet May here the gorse has grown very fast and there seems to be far more of it than there used to be; to me this is not fair as its almost an auto lost ball if you go into it.

The fairways are very firm; - prime example is at least 20 yards on a 2 iron after pitching.

Playing St Andrews Old or New next week but my friend who is a member says its much firmer than Royal Aberdeen as they have have not used the sprinklers on the fairways like they have up here. 

Right now my handicap is probe going to go up 10 shots if I continue the way I have started! I miss easy Texan Golf!

It is definitely a different game on the links. I always make sure I bring a SW with tons of bounce and wide sole for the bunkers, but a very low bounce LW for the tight lies around the greens. Enjoy the transition and the "joys" of links golf! 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

6 hours ago, hammergolf said:

It is definitely a different game on the links. I always make sure I bring a SW with tons of bounce and wide sole for the bunkers, but a very low bounce LW for the tight lies around the greens. Enjoy the transition and the "joys" of links golf! 

If you look at my dads Artisan 55 and 60 compared to mine they are very different. Mine were made by Mike for Texas and Scotland, dads for just Scotland with Mikes special links grind.

I played 4 days in a row; heavy rain today and taking tomorrow off, mentally I need the break more than physically! 

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

9 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

The fairways are very firm; - prime example is at least 30 yards on a 2 iron after pitching.

Fantastic, thanks for sharing. Part of me wants to get my teeth kicked in, so I can try to tame the beast before I leave. 

On 8/6/2021 at 10:16 PM, scott_Donald said:

If you look at my dads Artisan 55 and 60 compared to mine they are very different. Mine were made by Mike for Texas and Scotland, dads for just Scotland with Mikes special links grind.

I played 4 days in a row; heavy rain today and taking tomorrow off, mentally I need the break more than physically! 

So you are enjoying been back then? 😂

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

49 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

So you are enjoying been back then? 😂

Its been a massive struggle!

just in from Chipping and putting for 3 hours - loving having a membership again!

good thing is though so far my wedges have been awesome on the very tight burnt lies.

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

1 hour ago, scott_Donald said:

just in from Chipping and putting for 3 hours - loving having a membership again!

good thing is though so far my wedges have been awesome on the very tight burnt lies.

How are finding daily life in general there vs. the US (I think Texas?)? Masking in public places? Restaurants and pubs seeming normal, or kind of odd like when things started re-opening here? Although I suppose it's a different experience in Texas vs. the NY-NJ area, too.

It seems like the lodging adjustments I had to make have been easy, as well as tee times, except for weekends, so my hunch is there's quite of bit of UK weekend getaways, but still only a trickle from overseas. At least two B&Bs told me they could host me my entire trip in any room since they're totally unbooked. 

8 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Was talking to copacetic earlier and he said it’s been very rainy in Ireland, so maybe some of its coming your way to soften it and green it up a little.

13 hours ago, philsRHman said:

How are finding daily life in general there vs. the US (I think Texas?)? Masking in public places? Restaurants and pubs seeming normal, or kind of odd like when things started re-opening here? Although I suppose it's a different experience in Texas vs. the NY-NJ area, too.

It seems like the lodging adjustments I had to make have been easy, as well as tee times, except for weekends, so my hunch is there's quite of bit of UK weekend getaways, but still only a trickle from overseas. At least two B&Bs told me they could host me my entire trip in any room since they're totally unbooked. 

Weird, Air Bnbs are mostly booked through to October. Friend doesn't have one free night near a weekend until October - he offered me two night but not till then.

Co vid never existed in Texas.

The rules changed yesterday to fully open except for masks indoor in public(fair); we were out for dinner last night and it was great except for the slow service. Tipping a lot does have its advantages but I do prefer the lower tipping here!

6 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Was talking to copacetic earlier and he said it’s been very rainy in Ireland, so maybe some of its coming your way to soften it and green it up a little.

The rain has really hit further South, we have been fine here except one day for golf.

My chipping is fine; I normally practice every Monday. I am just falling apart into the wind; my body tries to chip it rather than swing. I am also over reading the putts too; the course I played regularly in Houston was a Tom Doak Memorial design with lots of break so these older simpler greens just break less and are a lot smaller! Plus there is proper rough, Texas didn't have rough! I just need to get better.

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Back to golf. I had decided Kingsbarns wouldn’t make the cut. So expensive. So modern/American. I’ve been to Bandon.

But I stumbled upon their hype video today and my gosh do I want to play it.  I know value is in the eye/wallet of the beholder, but is it worth the price? I mean, it’s so out of whack (£328) with all the other places I have on my list. That’s almost $500 and add a caddie and it’s well above $500. 

Just for kicks, here is my latest itinerary. Anything with times are confirmed, mostly everything else is open for reconsideration.  Looks like the St Andrews 3 day or 7 day pass will be a good bet since I have to work afternoons of my last week and they told me early morning tee times won’t be a problem. Cruden Bay remains a tough decision as it gets complicated with lodging and timing. 

Arrival day: Musselburgh Hickories

North Berwick 1007 North Berwick 230
Muirfield 950  
north berwick 1007 North Berwick 240
Goswick  
Gullane 2 (early avail) Gullane 3
Killspindie Gullane/NBerwick?
TBD explore SA Attend Dunhill?
Elie Elie?
SA Old 1130  
SA Castle 1000 Anstruther
SA New (OLD BALLOT) SA Jubilee
Cruden Bay  
Cruden Bay  
Carnoustie   
StA TBD work
Crail? St A? work
OLD BALLOT/leven? work
StA TBD work
OLD BALLOT/StA TBD work
StA TBD   
Depart EDI

45 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Anxious to hear about Kilspindie. We passed on it because of bad weather and taking in nice dinner and concert at the festival and regretted not getting there. 

I have to break myself of still looking at the scorecard and wondering what it will feel like playing sub-6000 yard courses, but right now I’ve stacked several rounds at the 3 places I am most excited for: Old, North Berwick, Cruden Bay. Unsure how my body will react to this much golf I think these shorter walks will have to help keep me active but hopefully not quite beat me up so much. There are others in East Lothian I have on the list depending on time, like Glen, Longniddry, Dunbar, Luffness but I fear 4 rounds over 4 links courses they start to blend and blur, so Killspindie is currently ahead of those based on price and availability and something I read somewhere along the way that kept it stuck in my head. 

My plan remains trying to play twice (or more) at half the number of courses.

I have to break myself of still looking at the scorecard and wondering what it will feel like playing sub-6000 yard courses, but right now I’ve stacked several rounds at the 3 places I am most excited for: Old, North Berwick, Cruden Bay. Unsure how my body will react to this much golf I think these shorter walks will have to help keep me active but hopefully not quite beat me up so much. There are others in East Lothian I have on the list depending on time, like Glen, Longniddry, Dunbar, Luffness but I fear 4 rounds over 4 links courses they start to blend and blur, so Killspindie is currently ahead of those based on price and availability and something I read somewhere along the way that kept it stuck in my head. 

My plan remains trying to play twice (or more) at half the number of courses.

In my opinion, Kilspindie is not to be missed.  It's as pure a Scottish golf experience as you can have.

Regarding the others you mention in East Lothian, I would pass on Glen and definitely put Dunbar at the top of that list.  I have always enjoyed Longniddry - it's an interesting mix of links and parkland.

13 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Back to golf. I had decided Kingsbarns wouldn’t make the cut. So expensive. So modern/American. I’ve been to Bandon.

But I stumbled upon their hype video today and my gosh do I want to play it.  I know value is in the eye/wallet of the beholder, but is it worth the price? I mean, it’s so out of whack (£328) with all the other places I have on my list. That’s almost $500 and add a caddie and it’s well above $500. 

IMHO Kingsbarns is overpriced at that price. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

21 hours ago, NY_Scratcher said:

In my opinion, Kilspindie is not to be missed.  It's as pure a Scottish golf experience as you can have.

Regarding the others you mention in East Lothian, I would pass on Glen and definitely put Dunbar at the top of that list.  I have always enjoyed Longniddry - it's an interesting mix of links and parkland.

Agree. You can't be in East Lothian that long and not play Dunbar. 

IMO Kingsbarns is a modern masterpiece, but I don't know if it's worth $500.

Kilspindie is cool. If you are a long hitter leave your driver and 3 wood in the boot. 

Back to the drawing board. Aer Lingus appears to have cancelled all their flights out of the NYC area. Fun email to wake up to. 

I’m “scheduled” to fly out of O’hare next month direct to Dublin, but two of our group are scheduled to fly out of JFK to Dublin. I have not received any emails about flights being cancelled. Just looked on the site and it doesn’t have any updates and was able to select flights out of JFK. Did they cancel your flight out right, or just move you to a different one?

Edited by hammergolf

2 hours ago, hammergolf said:

I’m “scheduled” to fly out of O’hare next month direct to Dublin, but two of our group are scheduled to fly out of JFK to Dublin. I have not received any emails about flights being cancelled. Just looked on the site and it doesn’t have any updates and was able to select flights out of JFK. Did they cancel your flight out right, or just move you to a different one?

Email just said that it's cancelled and they'll be in touch when they reschedule me. Same here, I can still book this same flight, so I'm confused. But if I look at their route map and their time tables, there's nothing coming out EWR to EDI or Dublin.

Edited to Add: Whew, as if they heard me talking about it, an email just popped through, looks like they've shifted my departure flight from Newark to JFK. Pain in the neck to get out there, but not as big a pain as getting from London to Edinburgh by train or driving, so I'm happy.

Edited by philsRHman
  • Like 1

Email just said that it's cancelled and they'll be in touch when they reschedule me. Same here, I can still book this same flight, so I'm confused. But if I look at their route map and their time tables, there's nothing coming out EWR to EDI or Dublin.

Edited to Add: Whew, as if they heard me talking about it, an email just popped through, looks like they've shifted my departure flight from Newark to JFK. Pain in the neck to get out there, but not as big a pain as getting from London to Edinburgh by train or driving, so I'm happy.

Ok much better news. I think Ireland is just trying to consolidate incoming flights. We were originally scheduled to fly into Shannon, but I believe Ireland is routing incoming flights only to Dublin. Fingers crossed that everything works out for both of our trips.

Heathrow for me is the only way to go to fly to the UK right now from the USA. We were seamless - arrive Terminal 5C; ten minutes train and walk to domestic connection passport control in Terminal 5, 10 minutes there then 10 minutes security bag check and through to the normal Terminal 5. 1 hour wait then flight up to Aberdeen. 

I would do the same flight but to Edinburgh as they leave at roughly the same time.

Glad you have been moved again and will get here. I played a few holes yesterday and the wind was over 30mph. I was hitting my GW about 30 yards longer than normal down wind and in to the wind it was about a 4 club wind. 

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, it’s crunch time. I leave two weeks from yesterday. Started really ramping up walking the past several weeks, been averaging 14,000 steps a day. Feels a little like cramming for an exam the night before though. Weight hasn’t come off as I’d hoped but at this point, it is what it is. Hard to say a trip in the works for 2.5 years snuck up on me but sort of did. Won’t be close to the 200 pound target I set for myself every 6 months along the way, but I walking 18 at the moment is a piece of cake even at 220. 

Getting down to just final details. Sorted my mobile phone. Ride to JFK. Ordered a UK covid test kit but still Have to figure out what I need to do here to get tested late next week. Still need to get plug adaptors. Any convenience things I’m forgetting? Stocked up on new fancy socks and added a short sleeve rain shirt snd better fitting ProQuip waterproof pants.

Freaking a bit about packing as tightly as possible. Will need to find laundry service somewhere late in my first week but that should get me through to the Airbnb for the third week with washer.

I think the only thing giving me pause and second guessing is Cruden Bay. I leave North Berwick and arrive in SA at the start of week 2. Premier Inn for a night (everything is booked due to the Dunhill), then 3 nights at a B&B on Murray Place to get the experience of being in the middle of the action. 

But then I drive to Cruden Bay and stay 2 nights before getting back and checking into my Airbnb for a final week (which I’ll be playing in the mornings and logging on to work in the afternoons). As much as everything tells me Cruden Bay is a golf course not to miss, it also means I have 6 different accommodations over 3 weeks, never really settling in, constantly packing up. I can still extend my B&B or Airbnb to fill it if I decide to, and guess I could always make that decision on the fly once I’m there. 

Not sure how accurate the weather apps are but looks like next week is lows in the low 50s and highs in the mid 60s, I’d surely sign up for that if it sticks around!

That’s the update for now, as I start a modified lock down. Passed on meeting friends to watch football this weekend. Can’t imagine picking up the virus right now. Hearing too many stories of vaccinated folks still getting it, so I’ll be a little cautious. 

1 hour ago, philsRHman said:

Ok, it’s crunch time. I leave two weeks from yesterday. Started really ramping up walking the past several weeks, been averaging 14,000 steps a day. Feels a little like cramming for an exam the night before though. Weight hasn’t come off as I’d hoped but at this point, it is what it is. Hard to say a trip in the works for 2.5 years snuck up on me but sort of did. Won’t be close to the 200 pound target I set for myself every 6 months along the way, but I walking 18 at the moment is a piece of cake even at 220. 

Getting down to just final details. Sorted my mobile phone. Ride to JFK. Ordered a UK covid test kit but still Have to figure out what I need to do here to get tested late next week. Still need to get plug adaptors. Any convenience things I’m forgetting? Stocked up on new fancy socks and added a short sleeve rain shirt snd better fitting ProQuip waterproof pants.

Freaking a bit about packing as tightly as possible. Will need to find laundry service somewhere late in my first week but that should get me through to the Airbnb for the third week with washer.

I think the only thing giving me pause and second guessing is Cruden Bay. I leave North Berwick and arrive in SA at the start of week 2. Premier Inn for a night (everything is booked due to the Dunhill), then 3 nights at a B&B on Murray Place to get the experience of being in the middle of the action. 

But then I drive to Cruden Bay and stay 2 nights before getting back and checking into my Airbnb for a final week (which I’ll be playing in the mornings and logging on to work in the afternoons). As much as everything tells me Cruden Bay is a golf course not to miss, it also means I have 6 different accommodations over 3 weeks, never really settling in, constantly packing up. I can still extend my B&B or Airbnb to fill it if I decide to, and guess I could always make that decision on the fly once I’m there. 

Not sure how accurate the weather apps are but looks like next week is lows in the low 50s and highs in the mid 60s, I’d surely sign up for that if it sticks around!

That’s the update for now, as I start a modified lock down. Passed on meeting friends to watch football this weekend. Can’t imagine picking up the virus right now. Hearing too many stories of vaccinated folks still getting it, so I’ll be a little cautious. 

I’m in the same boat. I fly out on the 24th. Spending a few days sightseeing then the guys will be meeting me on the 29th. Been walking every morning getting the legs stronger. A couple of weeks and you’ll be good. You’ll love SA and especially Murray Place. Perfect location! Only thing to remember is to make sure you contact your bank and credit card company that you will be in the UK and Scotland. Def wouldn’t miss Cruden Bay if you can help it, would be worth the stop.

Getting close now; courses are really good right now. We are trying to get a nice round somewhere here next Friday so looking forward to branching out in Scotland. 

I was supposed to play Cruden Bay last week but my dad cancelled on me! I will hopefully get a game there in the next couple of weeks as he has still only played there once this year with his membership. The weather was amazing last week, very cold yesterday and this week is looking good enough after a colder day today; its the wind direction you have to watch for warmth.

You can always do a day trip to play Cruden Bay, its a couple hour drive but you are working in the afternoon in your last weekend. As said If I am in ABZ I could do RAGC for you too. 

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gfnt07u1s#?date=2021-09-13

I have not replied to your PM due to not knowing my plans yet. All I know is I get the keys for the place that my company have bought on October 1 in St Andrews(Greyfriars Garden) so I will be down a fair bit trying to get that set up and October 8 I will be in Edinburgh for the weekend as have the Kitchin restaurant(Michelin starred and 6 month to get a table for the wife's birthday) and then I am playing Muirfield and maybe Gullaine on Monday 11th.

For US to UK testing I just did CVS testing and got that free off medical insurance. Funny when went to Hawaii I had to pay!

For plug adapters; I normally buy a USB multi, when I have a USA and UK cable and just swap that out to the block and have 5 USB to use. 

Handicap certificate handy for old course etc, lots of golf balls bought here if you are not the straightest hitter! 

For golf all you need is a medium jumper, warmer jumper then a waterproof; that will cover you in all conditions. I have managed to wear shorts daily since I have returned back but most times golfing I have worn pants with the gorse etc. 

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400