Fantasy trip: A month in Scotland UPDATED: DAILY ITINERARY ADDED

philsRHman

I heard from my B&B that they’ve been sold and the new owners won’t be doing the breakfast, I guess now it’s just a B. They offered to take money off, but now I’m second guessing if it’s worth cramming into a single if I’m not even getting the breakfast and maybe different kind of hospitality. I noticed two others I had reached out to came back with different names. I’m sure it was a very difficult year on these hosts, and it would be a shame if there’s a massive turnover in innkeepers having to sell this year. 

Anyone notice if there’s a trend underway, or just a random coincidence on the few I noticed?

Edited to add:

for anyone who has stayed in the heart of Murray Place would the location itself be worth it? Most of the AirBNBs I’m seeing would be a little more on the outskirts. More space, washer/dryer, kitchen would be nice especially if I’m staying 10 nights. 

Edited by philsRHman
Hit post too early

14 hours ago, philsRHman said:

I heard from my B&B that they’ve been sold and the new owners won’t be doing the breakfast, I guess now it’s just a B. They offered to take money off, but now I’m second guessing if it’s worth cramming into a single if I’m not even getting the breakfast and maybe different kind of hospitality. I noticed two others I had reached out to came back with different names. I’m sure it was a very difficult year on these hosts, and it would be a shame if there’s a massive turnover in innkeepers having to sell this year. 

Anyone notice if there’s a trend underway, or just a random coincidence on the few I noticed?

Edited to add:

for anyone who has stayed in the heart of Murray Place would the location itself be worth it? Most of the AirBNBs I’m seeing would be a little more on the outskirts. More space, washer/dryer, kitchen would be nice especially if I’m staying 10 nights. 

Murray Place is a great location. Literally 200 yds from The Old Course, The Dunvegan, and 50yds from North Street. I stayed just around the corner on the Scores. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Murray Place is a great location. Literally 200 yds from The Old Course, The Dunvegan, and 50yds from North Street. I stayed just around the corner on the Scores. 

wow that can't be a cheap property.

I am wanting to buy one or two properties to rent for golfers in StA but won't be that close!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

6 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

wow that can't be a cheap property.

I am wanting to buy one or two properties to rent for golfers in StA but won't be that close!

It was literally the PERFECT place! #18 The Scores, It’s a 5 br 3 ba Victorian with 8 beds. Unfortunately the owner sold it and it’s no longer available for rent. We stayed there twice. Last trip was 7 days total was $3500 for the week for the eight of us. So $62.50 per night for each of us. Not a better deal to be had in St. Andrews.

8BD3F099-B999-43C1-B285-79C496A84702.png

Edited by hammergolf

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

It was literally the PERFECT place! #18 The Scores, It’s a 5 br 3 ba Victorian with 8 beds. Unfortunately the owner sold it and it’s no longer available for rent. We stayed there twice. Last trip was 7 days total was $3500 for the week for the eight of us. So $62.50 per night for each of us. Not a better deal to be had in St. Andrews.

8BD3F099-B999-43C1-B285-79C496A84702.png

Amazing. I need to crunch the numbers before the price of this trip gets completely away from me haha. Right now it seems I can spent 80-90£ on either a nice B&B in a great location (decent sized room), 70ish£ for an apartment in a so-so location (more space, kitchen, washer/dryer). Or 50£ for a tiny room in a former B&B in a great location. 

At this point I’m leaning toward mixing it up. I have 10 days in SA (14 if I nix Cruden Bay) so maybe I will do the first half in a nice B&B to get that experience and then move over to a flat, especially since I’ll be working toward the end. But gosh doesnt  50£/night help the lodging budget a lot. 

16 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Amazing. I need to crunch the numbers before the price of this trip gets completely away from me haha. Right now it seems I can spent 80-90£ on either a nice B&B in a great location (decent sized room), 70ish£ for an apartment in a so-so location (more space, kitchen, washer/dryer). Or 50£ for a tiny room in a former B&B in a great location. 

At this point I’m leaning toward mixing it up. I have 10 days in SA (14 if I nix Cruden Bay) so maybe I will do the first half in a nice B&B to get that experience and then move over to a flat, especially since I’ll be working toward the end. But gosh doesnt  50£/night help the lodging budget a lot. 

In my trips, I’ve found the most economical way is to rent Air bnb. But keep in mind, we are a group of 8. The times I’ve been by myself, I always did bnb. There is also an option on Air bnb to just rent a room too. But I’m not sure how that pricing relates. When I went by myself, I really hardly spent any time in my room, so I chose the most economical I could get that had a good location. 

Edited by hammergolf

• 1 month later...

Updating this tread since I appreciate all the feedback and input over the past couple years (that’s so crazy to say).  I got a cancellation notice from United tonight. Looks like almost all flights to EDI are now cancelled in Sept. I think I have to face reality that I won’t be making my trip.

This is such a punch to the gut.

I really thought we turned the corner a month or two ago, I have my vaccine, I absolutely thought things were full steam ahead. I think this hurts more than the first cancellation 18 months ago.

I know it’s completely insane and insensitive to belly ache over a stupid golf trip when people are still dying in a global pandemic and businesses, especially in tourism, are struggling to stay alive. But I just feel so raw emotionally, so jerked back to reality after several months here in NJ that really felt so back to “normal” that until a week or so ago I wasn’t even watching for travel updates. 

I still have 9 weeks until I’m supposed to go. I guess something could change but right now I’m really down. 

8 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Updating this tread since I appreciate all the feedback and input over the past couple years (that’s so crazy to say).  I got a cancellation notice from United tonight. Looks like almost all flights to EDI are now cancelled in Sept. I think I have to face reality that I won’t be making my trip.

I really thought we turned the corner a month or two ago, I have my vaccine, I absolutely thought things were full steam ahead. I think this hurts more than the first cancellation 18 months ago.

I know it’s completely insane and insensitive to belly ache over a stupid golf trip when people are still dying in a global pandemic and businesses, especially in tourism, are struggling to stay alive. But I just feel so raw emotionally, so jerked back to reality after several months here in NJ that really felt so back to “normal” that until a week or so ago I wasn’t even watching for travel updates. 

I still have 9 weeks until I’m supposed to go. I guess something could change but right now I’m really down. 

We have had 3 flight cancellations for our flight less than a week away now. Until the USA opens up to the UK and EU then the flights will continue to be cancelled.

Will you try and do it next year now?

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

10 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Man that sucks. I know how you feel, and I’m afraid the same thing is going to happen to our trip to Ireland the end of September. Fingers crossed that you’re able to make the trip. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

We have had 3 flight cancellations for our flight less than a week away now. Until the USA opens up to the UK and EU then the flights will continue to be cancelled.

Will you try and do it next year now?

Can you book on Aer Lingus through Dublin and get to EDI? Our flight to Shannon was cancelled, but they rebooked us into Dublin.

2 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Can you book on Aer Lingus through Dublin and get to EDI? Our flight to Shannon was cancelled, but they rebooked us into Dublin.

I am flying Houston to Miami to Heathrow to Aberdeen.

Never flown through Ireland ever. 

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

3 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I am flying Houston to Miami to Heathrow to Aberdeen.

Never flown through Ireland ever. 

Ok, was just checking if you were still able to fly into the UK. Have a great trip! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Ok, was just checking if you were still able to fly into the UK. Have a great trip! 

As of now I still see direct flights to London. I think that’s my plan. Get to London and train to Scotland. But I think my trip’s odds went from 95% a month ago to 75% two weeks ago to 50% this week to 1% last night when my flight was cancelled. But now with at least the potential for London I’ll nudge it back to 15%. I suppose Dublin could also work. 

• Like 2

I have had to rebook our groups trip for a third time.  Now planned for May 2022.   This delta variant and the next one are definitely worse and more contagious.   I like you am vaccinated but I am even concerned with domestic travel and potential mandates as the vaccine rates plateau and situation worsens.   Hoping it gets better by next year.

Ping G430 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6S
Ping G410  17.5* and 20.5* Tour stiff

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 
Ping I230 6-pw - Project X IO 6.0
Ping Glide 4.0 50/54/58 Project X IO 6.0
Ping Redwood Anser - Starshot Finish

Titleist Pro V1X

Today's Times of London:

Millions of fully vaccinated travellers from Europe and the US will be allowed to enter England without quarantining from next week as part of a significant reopening of the border, it was confirmed today.

Grant Shapps, the transport secretary, said that people inoculated outside the UK would be able to enter from amber destinations from 4am on Monday, August 2.

Travellers will be required to submit a negative coronavirus test before boarding England-bound flights as well as taking a lab-based PCR test within two days of arriving.

Waiting for news from Scotland.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

3 hours ago, philsRHman said:

This is such welcome news. The roller coaster of emotions continues! Now do I book flights to London and train over? Do I fly with a stop in Dublin? Really have to dig in. Rental car is the other thing that looks surprisingly expensive at the moment. 

I fly to Heathrow today, then up to Aberdeen - America and BA.

Surprised about the hire car, we have one for 3 weeks and its not cheap but not as bad as it was in Hawaii a couple months ago; that was just stupid.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

12 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

Scotland is the same.

Scotland’s beleaguered travel industry has been thrown a “lifeline” with fully vaccinated visitors from the EU and US allowed to enter without having to quarantine from Monday.

The need for travellers to self-isolate for ten days on arrival will be waived subject to countries remaining on the amber travel list.

The agreement, which effectively marks the reopening of borders, will still require all travellers to produce a negative Covid test before departure and a negative PCR test on the second day after their arrival.

Michael Matheson, the transport secretary, said: “Fully vaccinated travellers will be able to travel to Scotland under this significant relaxation of international travel measures, providing a boost for the tourism sector and wider economy while ensuring public health is protected.

“This new arrangement will be carefully monitored by clinicians and kept under close review as we seek to put Scotland firmly on the path to recovery — but people should continue to think very carefully about travelling — especially given the prevalence and unpredictable nature of variants of concern.”

Proof of vaccination is required in the form of an EU digital Covid certificate or the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s white card, known as a CDC card.

Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 6R

Cobra Radspeed 5W Fujikura Motore X F3 R

Taylormade 3,5 Hybrid (2010)
5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R 
7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
52.08 Vokey SM5
56.08 Vokey SM5
Any of 5 Pings and 1 Seemore FPG

11 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I fly to Heathrow today, then up to Aberdeen - America and BA.

Surprised about the hire car, we have one for 3 weeks and its not cheap but not as bad as it was in Hawaii a couple months ago; that was just stupid.

Safe and easy travels to you. 

I’m striking out on cars with the big names. Suddenly a lot of reasonable prices with two companies I’ve never heard of (and have some terrible reviews) - Greenmotion and Movemee. Like, half the price of Sixt and a third the price of Avis or any of the US names I know. Since I need it for 19 days, it really adds up fast so $25/day vs $75/day is significant. 

16 hours ago, philsRHman said:

Safe and easy travels to you. 

I’m striking out on cars with the big names. Suddenly a lot of reasonable prices with two companies I’ve never heard of (and have some terrible reviews) - Greenmotion and Movemee. Like, half the price of Sixt and a third the price of Avis or any of the US names I know. Since I need it for 19 days, it really adds up fast so $25/day vs $75/day is significant. 

there are some sketchy companies so watch, enterprise is normally the cheapest for me in Aberdeen.

use the big search companies to find the best deal, normally work out well. 

Now back in my house in Scotland but my bike bag was being tracked to being on a flight from Miami back to Houston! I think I have about 12000 dollars of bike stuff in that bag; I am not a fan of American Airlines. I have my golf clubs at least. 

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

So I’m really struggling with the rental car. Let me see what you guys think of this idea. Flying to London appears my best bet. And rental cars are so much cheaper at Heathrow, like $500 vs 1000 at EDI and 1500 at Waverley Station. So I’m toying with the idea of just driving from London to North Berwick, instead of train or a second flight. How miserable does that sound, especially after a red eye?

I could break it up into a couple days with a stop or two, since I know there were some big fans of golf in Northumberland, but looks like that might as well just be all the way to North Berwick. Any natural stops 2-3 hours north of London for golf and an overnight?

4 hours ago, philsRHman said:

So I’m really struggling with the rental car. Let me see what you guys think of this idea. Flying to London appears my best bet. And rental cars are so much cheaper at Heathrow, like $500 vs 1000 at EDI and 1500 at Waverley Station. So I’m toying with the idea of just driving from London to North Berwick, instead of train or a second flight. How miserable does that sound, especially after a red eye?

I could break it up into a couple days with a stop or two, since I know there were some big fans of golf in Northumberland, but looks like that might as well just be all the way to North Berwick. Any natural stops 2-3 hours north of London for golf and an overnight?

You can hop on the M25 to the M1 to Nottingham. Play Notts/Hollinwell and stay at the Mour Hotel (I think that's the name). The course is about 10 minutes off the motorway and you pass the hotel on the way. There is also a Premier Inn just up the road near Mansfield. Notts is one of the best courses in England...sort of a moorland-heathland mix. If you can't get on Notts, there are two other high quality courses nearby, Sherwood Forest and Coxmoor. From this area you can make the drive to North Berwick the next day. I urge you stop and play Alnmouth Village on the way. A cool nine holer to stretch the legs that is cheap as chips. Goswick will take more time and money, but it's very good and a short drive off the A1. 

10 hours ago, El Gringo said:

You can hop on the M25 to the M1 to Nottingham. Play Notts/Hollinwell and stay at the Mour Hotel (I think that's the name). The course is about 10 minutes off the motorway and you pass the hotel on the way. There is also a Premier Inn just up the road near Mansfield. Notts is one of the best courses in England...sort of a moorland-heathland mix. If you can't get on Notts, there are two other high quality courses nearby, Sherwood Forest and Coxmoor. From this area you can make the drive to North Berwick the next day. I urge you stop and play Alnmouth Village on the way. A cool nine holer to stretch the legs that is cheap as chips. Goswick will take more time and money, but it's very good and a short drive off the A1. 

Thanks for this, exactly what I needed to get started. I actually already have Goswick on my itinerary for while I’m in North Berwick. 

I am such a damn mess with this trip. Was up very late looking at scenarios. Now the train looks like a mess, because weekends instead of 4.5 hours it’s 6.5, I guess construction or something. So then I started looking at flights but I’m not sure how big a pain in the neck it would be getting from Heathrow to the airport the cheap carriers fly from. Maybe no more difficult than getting to Kings Cross. 

United (where I have all my points and credit card, lounge passes, etc) has a flight through Brussels, but it’s very expensive. 

I went from feeling so confident in my planning and now I’m back to spiraling.

Seems United don't like the Euro airlines and they are not really codeshare with any big ones. I would just go to London then get a BA up to Edinburgh.

The drive via the A1 to Edinburgh is slow but easy. If I was driving straight to St Andrews I would go the M6 via Glasgow.

Never done train but they use Sundays for closures.

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

On 7/31/2021 at 8:08 PM, scott_Donald said:

Seems United don't like the Euro airlines and they are not really codeshare with any big ones. I would just go to London then get a BA up to Edinburgh.

The drive via the A1 to Edinburgh is slow but easy. If I was driving straight to St Andrews I would go the M6 via Glasgow.

Its about 15 minutes quicker to St Andrews from Heathrow if you use the M6 toll for an extra fiver, but imo the risk of bad traffic is higher than M1/A1. Beau Desert is a good option if you go the M6 route, not too far off the M6. Don't have a good suggestion for digs. 

Edited by El Gringo

20 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

I should have mentioned my itinerary starts in North Berwick, if that changes things.