Anyone can compare Ping i20 irons to i210?

barnum1

4 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

The MOI as measured by GolfWorks... S55 MOI is 12.9, i210 is 14.957.

That CG of the i210 is fairly high, though.  Can see where it could be an issue for some players.

Say Ed,

I see the settings were set to "driver" on the screen there. Think that goofs the #'s? I seem to recall a clubfitter saying the some LM's look for different launch angles and spin rates when set to "driver" versus other clubs and how the cameras capture the data. I often wonder about that when people try out irons on LM's especially in the big box stores. (Check the wind settings as well. I have seen 20MPH downwinds set into big box lm's and they claim they didn't know. Yepper.)

3 minutes ago, blueonblack said:

I'm following here in that people are saying i210 are S-55 short irons that blend into more of an i20, more forgiving style long iron. That sounds really good.

Ok, so short i210 irons are less forgiving (l'm now guessing S-55 are less forgiving than i20)? 

Callaway Paradym 10.5° Hzrdus Silver 50g stiff

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Ping Glide Forged 58° bent to 60°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

49 minutes ago, barnum1 said:

Ok, so short i210 irons are less forgiving (l'm now guessing S-55 are less forgiving than i20)? 

No, I wouldnt say that.  They have more mass down low than the S55 or i20.   I think overall, every club in the set of the i210 is more forgiving than BOTH the S55 and i20.  Not to say those arent good in their own rights, and they are forgiving, but the 210 are just better than both overall, even if it is only by a little on paper.  Hitting them, it's obvious to me.  But, thats just me.  The i200s are just as good, but the elastomer on the 210 gives them extraordinary feel.  It's like the S56... they are very good, but the 55s were  definitely an improvement in feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

3 hours ago, blueonblack said:

Say Ed,

I see the settings were set to "driver" on the screen there. Think that goofs the #'s? I seem to recall a clubfitter saying the some LM's look for different launch angles and spin rates when set to "driver" versus other clubs and how the cameras capture the data. I often wonder about that when people try out irons on LM's especially in the big box stores. (Check the wind settings as well. I have seen 20MPH downwinds set into big box lm's and they claim they didn't know. Yepper.)

Good question.  Launch monitors are currently outside my nerd zone for the most part ?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

20 hours ago, barnum1 said:

@Nixhex524 is pretty well nailing it as far as the way I felt about the feel upgrade of the S-55 from the S-56. The S-55 got a lot of love as it was surprising the relative forgiveness for the head size. With the tungsten in the toe of the 56/55, I felt like that cradled the COG between the hosel and shaft, with that tungsten plug out on the toe.

The i20, I could feel more the perimeter weighting on each side of the head, if that makes sense.

If you hit the center of the face pretty often, and were after a little more turf interaction, the S-55 allowed that for me. (I was very low single digit at the time.)

I think only in that context were they "forgiving," so to speak. I think Maltby playability factor numbers (ease of use) really opened a lot of eyes as to how forgiving the S series was when compared to the i series. That was on paper, but many found it translated very well to the course. Mostly I think the wider sole for someone that got a little steep, the i series would probably save that "miss" better. And if you got away from center face too much. I almost felt like misses thin were a little more often for me with the wide sole of the i20, that was about it.

But the single biggest thing I felt about the i20 was the COG trailing behind the shaft axis with the offset and perimeter weighting. I could feel the weight behind the shaft, where its much more inline with the S series. If you like some offset, the S series will be a little more demanding, and shaft for shaft, you'll see lower flight (although that was pretty close betwee them too.)

I guess I don't know why the short irons in the i200 would be harder to hit than the S-55, @Nixhex524? Are they really?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueonblack said:

@Nixhex524 is pretty well nailing it as far as the way I felt about the feel upgrade of the S-55 from the S-56. The S-55 got a lot of love as it was surprising the relative forgiveness for the head size. With the tungsten in the toe of the 56/55, I felt like that cradled the COG between the hosel and shaft, with that tungsten plug out on the toe.

The i20, I could feel more the perimeter weighting on each side of the head, if that makes sense.

If you hit the center of the face pretty often, and were after a little more turf interaction, the S-55 allowed that for me. (I was very low single digit at the time.)

I think only in that context were they "forgiving," so to speak. I think Maltby playability factor numbers (ease of use) really opened a lot of eyes as to how forgiving the S series was when compared to the i series. That was on paper, but many found it translated very well to the course. Mostly I think the wider sole for someone that got a little steep, the i series would probably save that "miss" better. And if you got away from center face too much. I almost felt like misses thin were a little more often for me with the wide sole of the i20, that was about it.

But the single biggest thing I felt about the i20 was the COG trailing behind the shaft axis with the offset and perimeter weighting. I could feel the weight behind the shaft, where its much more inline with the S series. If you like some offset, the S series will be a little more demanding, and shaft for shaft, you'll see lower flight (although that was pretty close betwee them too.)

I guess I don't know why the short irons in the i200 would be harder to hit than the S-55, @Nixhex524? Are they really?

Per my experience, I would say no.  Again, not to say the S55 are difficult by any means, they are not.  The sole on the 200/210 being a little bigger could turn a few people off to turf interation feel, but I think Ping rounded out the sole on the 210 more than the 200.  To me, I think that makes them cut through the ground more freely.  The 210 may be a touch bigger than the S55 in the low irons (even though I think it may be close) and my interpretation so far is that you can miss in a few different spots on the 210 face whereas the S55 will punish you a little but more.  Honestly, the 210 is the first Ping irons that has really WOWED me.  The S55 were great, felt great and looked nice.  I hit them well but the 210s almost feel like cheating.  They are currently at Ping getting adjusted, I am really looking forward to playing them to my specs for further review... Playing them 1/2" long and upright had no real adverse effects other than looking or feeling a little weird but flights were fine really.  I can not hit a driver in the fairway right now and if I can dial that club in, I don't see how these 210s couldn't help me improve GIR numbers and lower scores.  I'm pretty excited honestly.

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I have played them all from i3 blades to the i210 in the i series and the i20s are still in the bag. I think 3-5 irons in the i20 turned people off to them and that ping did improve that look not necessarily playability from the iE1 to i210. I honestly don’t think you will be disappointed making the upgrade, but don’t sell the i20 by any means. 

How do the distances compare between the i20 and the i210, especially in the long irons?

I'm still love (and play) my i20s. My only real gripe is that I would like to get a bit more distance.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

1 hour ago, bazinky said:

How do the distances compare between the i20 and the i210, especially in the long irons?

I'm still love (and play) my i20s. My only real gripe is that I would like to get a bit more distance.

I hit the i210 a few yards further, but the lofts are stronger. I always go back to the i20s, they truly just perform at the end of the day. What shaft do you play in them?

On 9/29/2020 at 2:40 AM, Caddykev said:

I have played them all from i3 blades to the i210 in the i series and the i20s are still in the bag. I think 3-5 irons in the i20 turned people off to them and that ping did improve that look not necessarily playability from the iE1 to i210. I honestly don’t think you will be disappointed making the upgrade, but don’t sell the i20 by any means. 

I promise, I won't sell the i20 🙂 
I've actually had a great iron play this season, so I could really continue with them. But the wear is pretty noticable after 7-8 years.
Anyway, season is coming to an end where I live, so let's see what happens in spring.

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

I haven’t had the i20s, but did use the ie1s for a while. I now have the i210s. The 210s launch higher, spin more, go through the turf better and go a little further. In my opinion, the 210s are a better iron. Not A LOT better, but still better than the e1s I had. I think you would enjoy the 210s and they would be an upgrade, in my opinion. 

Hmmm... I found this: 
https://Not allowed Per Todaysgolfer's UK request/features/equipment-features/2020/april/which-ping-iron-suits-me/ 
where Today's Golfer means i210 fits golfers with hcp <= 8.
I have been playing my i20 over a 7-8 years period where I've been a 9-11 handicapper.
And the comments in here have been that i210 is more forgiving than i20.
So based on this I have played with too "difficult" clubs.

I know that it's difficult to set a hcp range for a club, and there are a lot of individual factors. 
But it would be interesting to hear if you generally agree with Today's Golfer?

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

19 hours ago, barnum1 said:

Hmmm... I found this: 
https://Not allowed Per Todaysgolfer&#39;s UK request/features/equipment-features/2020/april/which-ping-iron-suits-me/ 
where Today's Golfer means i210 fits golfers with hcp <= 8.
I have been playing my i20 over a 7-8 years period where I've been a 9-11 handicapper.
And the comments in here have been that i210 is more forgiving than i20.
So based on this I have played with too "difficult" clubs.

I know that it's difficult to set a hcp range for a club, and there are a lot of individual factors. 
But it would be interesting to hear if you generally agree with Today's Golfer?

I dont ever like to pigeonhole an iron to a cap number.  There are 20 caps that hit blades better than GI irons and low caps that can't hit a blade if their life depended on it.  Its why demoing things or even going through a fitting process can be so important and helpful.  The i20s are still great irons.  This thread is not to take away from the i20s, personally I just feel like the i210 is an all around better club, even if it is by a small margin.  I really loved a lot of things about the i25. I thought they looked great!  But they were shorter than anything else I was playing with the cfs shafts and I didn't feel it was worth it to reshaft them at the time...  if the i20s work for you and aren't costing you strokes then stick with them!

• Like 1

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 3 years later...

Sorry for bumping old thread. Just bought a set of Ping i20 as a backup set as I really enjoyed playing i20 in the past. I have played i25, ie1, G400, i230, 425 since selling i20. Now have both G425 and i20. 

Loves the feel of i230, but distance was why I sold it for G425. 

Edited by malelee21

Ping G425 10.5 / Ping G410
Callaway UW 17*
Ping G410 4H
Cobra F7 EL 4i
Ping i200 6-UW / i500 5-PW Power Spec / i210 5-PW
Ping Glide 4.0 54/58
SC Phantom x 9.5