Pinehurst - Sept/Oct 2021

eclectic taste

Beginning to plan a trip to Pinehurst for Sept/Oct 2021. Probably 8-12 guys, coming from California, staying up to 1 week, so this is essentially a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Definitely want to play #2 & #4, but what other courses are "Don't Skip" courses? #8? Tobacco Road? I'd like to play 2 rounds on one day, then 1 round the next, and so on. Minimize fatigue, especially for walking only courses. Just as important, which PH courses are skippable, not worth the time which could be spent on better courses. No glorified munis. Cost of the rounds is not a major issue if they're worth it. We've played Bandon & Chambers Bay, so $350/rd with 1/2 price replay (if offered) is not out of the question for the best of the best courses.

We'll probably rent a house, so time to hang out after the rounds is important. I don't know if that factors into round availability and pricing.

Edited by eclectic taste

Mid Pines and Pine Needles are across the street from each other, so that would be an easy 36 day. TR is an fun course. You will either like it or you won't. Not too many neutral opinions. I have never played Dormie Club, but it seems to be well thought of. It is supposed to go private at some point, but not sure when.

6 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Mid Pines and Pine Needles are across the street from each other, so that would be an easy 36 day. TR is an fun course. You will either like it or you won't. Not too many neutral opinions. I have never played Dormie Club, but it seems to be well thought of. It is supposed to go private at some point, but not sure when.

100% on mid pines and pine needles. TR is a must play. Dormie is already private. You have to stay in a specific area to be able to play Dormie 

• Like 1

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

Pinehurst 2

Pinehurst 4

Pinehurst 8

Pine Needles

Mid Pines

Tobacco Road

Dormie Club (Package companies can get you on)

If you belong to a private club and can get on any of the private courses here that would open up a few more options. Can't go wrong with the courses mentioned above. 

• Thanks 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

On 9/26/2020 at 12:40 PM, eclectic taste said:

Beginning to plan a trip to Pinehurst for Sept/Oct 2021. Probably 8-12 guys, coming from California, staying up to 1 week, so this is essentially a once-in-a-lifetime trip. Definitely want to play #2 & #4, but what other courses are "Don't Skip" courses? #8? Tobacco Road? I'd like to play 2 rounds on one day, then 1 round the next, and so on. Minimize fatigue, especially for walking only courses. Just as important, which PH courses are skippable, not worth the time which could be spent on better courses. No glorified munis. Cost of the rounds is not a major issue if they're worth it. We've played Bandon & Chambers Bay, so $350/rd with 1/2 price replay (if offered) is not out of the question for the best of the best courses.

We'll probably rent a house, so time to hang out after the rounds is important. I don't know if that factors into round availability and pricing.

If you want to play #2 and #4, especially during peak season like September or October, you have to stay at the resort to get times in advance.  You could to a night or two at the resort, and then move offsite somewhere to save a few bucks.  MidPines and Pine Needles are great, Tobacco Road is REALLY different but fun.  Dormie is really good, but you'll probably need to book through someone like Tobacco Road Travel or Talamore to play it.  You could look at packages  including lodging and golf through either of those.  Others in that area that I really like are Mid South, Talamore, Southern Pines GC (variable conditions, but now owned by the Mid Pines/Pine Needles group, so I expect that to improve).

• Like 2

This is really important to note during Sept/October. I would actually recommend calling and taking to Pinehurst NOW, even though it’s a year in advance. They won’t be able to make tee times yet (the tee sheets for next fall won’t open until the spring), but they’ll put you on the list to get on the tee sheet. This is really only pertinent to No 2 and 4–but if time of day matters, you’ll want to get signed up early. We’re going to Pinehurst in two weeks and I did this last fall, hoping for 830am tee times on 2 and 4...and got placed at near 10am for both courses because of demand. If you don’t stay at Pinehurst and hope to play 2 and 4, there’s a good chance you could get shut out this time of year. I know the Tuesday we’re playing 2, they have virtually no times left available—so if we waited until 24 hours before, we likely wouldn’t get on. 

Otherwise, the tips above are spot on, IMHO. Stay at pinehurst a night or two, then get off campus into a house. Pinehurst is expensive, and you’ll save a lot of money this way. There’s about 6-8 courses in the area that you’ll be sure to want to play, and they’ve all been mentioned above. 

• Thanks 1

Just got back from Pinehurst 3 weeks ago.  A group of 8-12 of us have been going every year for about 15 years now.  No.2 and No.4 are tremendous No. 8 is also very good.  I personally love Tobacco Road but I've also played it a dozen times.  It's target golf that places a premium on tee shot placement and approach shots.  I feel like everyone should play it once but the other posters are right, it's either love or hate, no in between.  No onto the two courses that are the main reason my group comes back every year, Pine Needles and Mid Pines (Opening hole is my profile pic).  I cannot stress enough how outstanding these two courses are.  Both Ross designs and both always in terrific shape.  Pine Needles is perhaps my favorite course I've ever played and as a 5 handicap I've played a ton!!  You have to get your group out to these two courses, they are beautiful, fair and classic Ross.  Both are in the $225 - $275 range based on your time of year but for half the price of what you'd pay at No. 2 they are a tremendous value!  Enjoy your trip, Pinehurst really is golfers paradise and our group has many great memories there.  We are already booked again for next June and counting down the days.  Have fun and hit em straight!

• 2 weeks later...

Member at Pine Needles/Mid Pines/Southern Pines...

I would also try to arrange something at The Country Club of NC if you can swing it - would need to find a member or have your pro call (Hopefully from some equally exclusive club)- 

Dogwood course is really special (They played the US AM there in 1980 - Hal Sutton won)

Azalea is very good

If I was stack ranking Pinehurst Courses

Pine Needles 

Mid Pines

CCNC Dogwood

Dormie

CCNC Azalea

Forest Creek (North)

Tobacco Road (Goofy, easy, but visually interesting)

All these are in the same 2nd tier bucket

Southern Pines, Talamore, Legacy, Mid-South, FC (South), Pinewild, FoxFire courses

• Like 1

21 hours ago, allparz said:

Member at Pine Needles/Mid Pines/Southern Pines...

I would also try to arrange something at The Country Club of NC if you can swing it - would need to find a member or have your pro call (Hopefully from some equally exclusive club)- 

Dogwood course is really special (They played the US AM there in 1980 - Hal Sutton won)

Azalea is very good

If I was stack ranking Pinehurst Courses

Pine Needles 

Mid Pines

CCNC Dogwood

Dormie

CCNC Azalea

Forest Creek (North)

Tobacco Road (Goofy, easy, but visually interesting)

All these are in the same 2nd tier bucket

Southern Pines, Talamore, Legacy, Mid-South, FC (South), Pinewild, FoxFire courses

How do you like the membership at PN and MP?  I have heard that it’s the best membership in pinehurst. I love both those courses. When the pandemic ends, I was thinking about joining. 

PN MP SP membership works for me - It's not a traditional CC and you have to dance around resort guests at times...

Cons

Not many club tourneys

Tee times need to be booked in advance (sort of)

Pros

3 great courses (Plenty of Variety)

Best range in the area (Pine Needles)

You can always find time slots to play on weekends - but you need to be flexible - I join guests 1/2 the time as single or 2-some

No issues with access mid-week

Folks always cancel weekend time slots 

Play after work most nights with course to yourself

Conditions are outstanding

Tennis Courts - pool - gym - food service excellent

Close to where I live

• Like 1

9 hours ago, allparz said:

PN MP SP membership works for me - It's not a traditional CC and you have to dance around resort guests at times...

Cons

Not many club tourneys

Tee times need to be booked in advance (sort of)

Pros

3 great courses (Plenty of Variety)

Best range in the area (Pine Needles)

You can always find time slots to play on weekends - but you need to be flexible - I join guests 1/2 the time as single or 2-some

No issues with access mid-week

Folks always cancel weekend time slots 

Play after work most nights with course to yourself

Conditions are outstanding

Tennis Courts - pool - gym - food service excellent

Close to where I live

Thanks for the info. My parents just moved down there from Cary. I was thinking about joining and making the drive to play.  Pretty inexpensive as a non-resident for 2 amazing golf courses 

9 hours ago, jpbova said:

Thanks for the info. My parents just moved down there from Cary. I was thinking about joining and making the drive to play.  Pretty inexpensive as a non-resident for 2 amazing golf courses 

Three courses now that they've taken over Southern Pines.

I also appreciate the info, @allparz.  I may be moving to the area within the next few years, after I retire.  I own one of the condos at Talamore, so I have a membership to Talamore and MidSouth.  Those two courses are good, but not nearly as good as Mid Pines and Pine Needles.  I know I'll have choices available as to where to play, and where we might join.    

9 minutes ago, davep043 said:

Three courses now that they've taken over Southern Pines.

I also appreciate the info, @allparz.  I may be moving to the area within the next few years, after I retire.  I own one of the condos at Talamore, so I have a membership to Talamore and MidSouth.  Those two courses are good, but not nearly as good as Mid Pines and Pine Needles.  I know I'll have choices available as to where to play, and where we might join.    

Talamore and Mid-South are nice and underrated, but they need to stop running groups off both 9s on the weekend mornings.  Many times I have played a 9 in under 90 minutes, and there are still groups teeing off 10.  Plus, the first hole at Talamore drives me nuts.  I suppose if you are retired, it won't matter, and you can play during the week to avoid the crowds.

Edited by jpbova

13 minutes ago, jpbova said:

Talamore and Mid-South are nice and underrated, but they need to stop running groups off both 9s on the weekend mornings.  Many times I have played a 9 in under 90 minutes, and there are still groups teeing off 10.  Plus, the first hole at Talamore drives me nuts.  I suppose if you are retired, it won't matter, and you can play during the week to avoid the crowds.

I totally understand why this would make everyone mad, but I also understand why they do this. During the summer months everyone typically wants to get off early in the morning to beat the summer heat. I do not want to be teeing off anytime after 8:00am during the summer months in the south. 

11 minutes ago, krtgolfing said:

I totally understand why this would make everyone mad, but I also understand why they do this. During the summer months everyone typically wants to get off early in the morning to beat the summer heat. I do not want to be teeing off anytime after 8:00am during the summer months in the south. 

totally makes sense in the summer.  Middle of July, it is hot AF buy 11am.  I don't mind it, but I know others do.  I played Mid-South a lot this summer, and was able to motor around in under 3 hours.  They tee off both 9s year around when they're busy enough to justify it.  Happened to me 2 weeks ago at Talamore.  It was cold enough to wear pants and seed rye.  The truth of it is, these courses are best played in off-seasons when the tourists go away.

Edited by jpbova
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, jpbova said:

totally makes sense in the summer.  Middle of July, it is hot AF buy 11am.  I don't mind it, but I know others do.  I played Mid-South a lot this summer, and was able to motor around in under 3 hours.  They tee off both 9s year around when they're busy enough to justify it.  Happened to me 2 weeks ago at Talamore.  It was cold enough to wear pants and seed rye.  The truth of it is, these courses are best played in off-seasons when the tourists go away.

The course I play locally just stopped sending people off both nines. Has been nice to buzz around the course in like 1.5 hours by myself. I have not played either course, but I am hoping to swing an off-season trip early next year and play these 2 along with pine needles, ormie club, and pinehurst 4. I have played mid pines, tobacco road, pinehurst 2, and pinehurst 4 (pre-renovation). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpbova said:

Its the job of most commercial establishments to keep as many people happy as possible, and that's what using the split tees is intended to do.  Putting people off front and back allows twice as many players the potential to get a second round in, which is a big deal for many golf-trippers.  Its simply good business, it makes more people happy, even if it does make a smaller number of people unhappy.  I don't think anyone should expect to play 18 holes on a weekend in 3 hours, its just not reasonable outside of truly private clubs.  And when I KNOW they're going off front and back, I make sure to slow down, to avoid that half-hour wait.  

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Must Plays
No. 2

No. 4

Pine Needles

Mid Pines

Tobacco Road- recommend a 36 day here as you will appreciate it more the                      second time around.  
The Cradle

Almost Must Plays

No. 8

Dormie Club

Southern Pines-reserving judgement until current work is complete.  

CCNC and Forest Creek North are worth a visit on the private side.