Jump to content

Best for determining how far you hit your clubs


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've only used the ShotScope V3 of the three mentioned. I am very pleased with it as one of the features they added was a way to see just how far you hit your previous shot. It can be used with any cl

^ Exactly what I was getting at earlier.  Also agree that a lot of golfers think they hit 300 yd bombs because they have 110 left on a 410 yd hole.  However, they didn't consider (or ignored) that the

It's pretty basic arithmetic.   380 to the pin from the tee, then 150 to the pin from where your drive lands, drive went 230.   Or note where the monument (or large tree) is on the

Nikon COOLSHOT PRO STABILIZED | Nikon Rangefinders

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're talking about on the course, I like a gps device with the shot distance button that drops a breadcrumb.  For range work the laser is the obvious choice.  Laser would also work ok on the course, just shoot the flag and then figure out how short or long you were.

PING Hoofer Lite 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Srixon Z U85 23*

Nike VR Forged Pro Combo

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PingPoncho said:

that will show how far you need to hit the green but does not show you how are you hit your shots

 

 

It's pretty basic arithmetic.

 

380 to the pin from the tee, then 150 to the pin from where your drive lands, drive went 230.

 

Or note where the monument (or large tree) is on the tee relative to where you're teeing off and when you get to your drive turn around and shoot the monument.

  • Thanks 1

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PingPoncho said:

does Arccos or shot scope have a shot distance button that drops a breadcrumb? if not, what device does?

I want to know my average distance taken over several rounds for each club and do not wan to have to do calculations while playing or writing them  down.

 

How ACCURATE do you want to be ?

 

GPS is accurate to 3-4 yards. All 3 you listed are GPS devices.

 

The best(?) rangefinders are accurate to less than a yard.

 

Up to you. 🙃

 

 

Edited by nsxguy

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

 

How ACCURATE do you want to be ?

 

GPS is accurate to 3-4 yards. All 3 you listed are GPS devices.

 

The best(?) rangefinders are accurate to less than a yard.

 

Up to you. 🙃

 

 

For plotting shot distances on the course GPS is probably more accurate.  For example, hit a drive and drop a breadcrumb at tee box.  Then when get to ball look at GPS device for distance.  This is much more accurate then the arithmetic example you provided above.  Now, if there's something near the tee box that you can hit with a laser from where your ball landed then you could maybe do a yard or 2 better than gps.  GPS breadcrumb is a lot easier though and not every situation with the laser is going to provide you with something to shoot.

PING Hoofer Lite 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Srixon Z U85 23*

Nike VR Forged Pro Combo

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

For plotting shot distances on the course GPS is probably more accurate.  For example, hit a drive and drop a breadcrumb at tee box.  Then when get to ball look at GPS device for distance.  This is much more accurate then the arithmetic example you provided above. 

 

Now, if there's something near the tee box that you can hit with a laser from where your ball landed then you could maybe do a yard or 2 better than gps.  GPS breadcrumb is a lot easier though and not every situation with the laser is going to provide you with something to shoot.

 

I guess I'm not following you. You say GPS is much more accurate but in your last paragraph admit that laser is more accurate.

 

Make up my mind, will ya ? :classic_biggrin:

 

I can see where subtracting one number from another can easily take a few seconds and the GPS will calc it immediately so I'll give you easier/more convenient - but more accurate ? Ummm, no.

 

Now I fully admit one can make a mistake with the arithmetic but I did learn it in 3rd grade. :classic_wink:

 

And I will also admit that for driver distance, the GPS is "good enough". I mean, if I hit a drive 235 or 239, who cares ?

 

I'm thinking more for the irons/scoring clubs. Hitting to the pin is where a more precise distance is more/most helpful (IMO of course).

 

And yes, it's not always easy to find something in the right place to shoot. Tee markers can be problematic.

 

As I said earlier, "Up to you". 👍

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

 

I guess I'm not following you. You say GPS is much more accurate but in your last paragraph admit that laser is more accurate.

 

Make up my mind, will ya ? :classic_biggrin:

 

I can see where subtracting one number from another can easily take a few seconds and the GPS will calc it immediately so I'll give you easier/more convenient - but more accurate ? Ummm, no.

 

Now I fully admit one can make a mistake with the arithmetic but I did learn it in 3rd grade. :classic_wink:

 

And I will also admit that for driver distance, the GPS is "good enough". I mean, if I hit a drive 235 or 239, who cares ?

 

I'm thinking more for the irons/scoring clubs. Hitting to the pin is where a more precise distance is more/most helpful (IMO of course).

 

And yes, it's not always easy to find something in the right place to shoot. Tee markers can be problematic.

 

As I said earlier, "Up to you". 👍

What I meant for accuracy is the example you gave of '380 yd hole, 150 left to the pin, do the arithmetic'.  Assuming the resulting shot was 230 yds is a BIG assumption and could be off by quite a bit.  Whereas the breadcrumb approach is going to be within 1 to 3 yds.  That's all.

PING Hoofer Lite 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Srixon Z U85 23*

Nike VR Forged Pro Combo

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an Arccos user and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The club distance feature is especially useful. For the distance average portion it drops off miss-hits and long outliers. You can go back and scroll through past "usage" to decipher how long you hit a particular club in different circumstances. It also will tell you the percentage missed in different directions, left, right, long, or short with each club. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

What I meant for accuracy is the example you gave of '380 yd hole, 150 left to the pin, do the arithmetic'.  Assuming the resulting shot was 230 yds is a BIG assumption and could be off by quite a bit.  Whereas the breadcrumb approach is going to be within 1 to 3 yds.  That's all.

 

Fair enough. What I left out was a center pin but even then that could be off by 3-4 yards easily.

 

So yes, off the tee I would admit the GPS devices would be more accurate and easy. And also subject to the largest variance.

 

But as I mentioned/alluded to in my previous post (and the OP did say "clubs") I was always thinking irons, the scoring clubs, where being more precise is more important.

 

thanks.gif

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

 

Fair enough. What I left out was a center pin but even then that could be off by 3-4 yards easily.

 

So yes, off the tee I would admit the GPS devices would be more accurate and easy. And also subject to the largest variance.

 

But as I mentioned/alluded to in my previous post (and the OP did say "clubs") I was always thinking irons, the scoring clubs, where being more precise is more important.

 

thanks.gif

Yep, agreed.  For iron shots to a green, shooting the flag and then estimating how far off the shot is from the flag should be ever so slightly better than GPS breadcrumbs, although it may be a 'push' since GPS won't require any estimates on the user's part.  Either should be way more than sufficient for most users to figure out their iron distances though.  So go with whichever device you prefer.  I'm in the GPS camp.

PING Hoofer Lite 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Srixon Z U85 23*

Nike VR Forged Pro Combo

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe its just me, but I tend to not look at my driving distance as so many factors play into it which doesnt really tell me anything I can rely on.

 

The only thing nice would be how far I carried each drive, but that info is just based on best guess as to where it landed, but even then, the wind and shot shape would have played a factor.

 

Maybe these stats will be more relevant with averages across a lot of data, but as far as knowing how far you can carry on any given golf shot, I feel like thats more for range rather than on course.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I still use my Game Golf system in combination with my Garmin Approach S2 on the course. However while on the Range i use the Toptracer Range they have installed at my nearby range. I use the Toptracer numbers then compare them to my Game golf and its pretty good 😊 
 

i also will be using my new mileseey rf when we are freed from lockdown 3 over here in the uk and when the golf clubs and ranges can reopen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only used the ShotScope V3 of the three mentioned. I am very pleased with it as one of the features they added was a way to see just how far you hit your previous shot. It can be used with any club except putts. Length of all shots, including putts from both on and off the green, with accuracy limitations, can be seen post round.

 

ShotScope gives you an average distance for each club that includes any and all shots over 50 yards though you can choose to not include any given shot. They also provide you with what they call a "P-AVG" which throws out outliers, both long and short.

 

GPS has limitations that have been pointed out, 3-4 yards and that is 95% of the time. When an additional GPS signal is fully enabled across all GPS satellites (L5) , using dual signal GPS as ShotScope has incorporated into their watch will supposedly bring GPS accuracy down to a couple of feet.

 

IMHO, using arithmetic to determine the length of tee shots is probably the worst way and leads many to think they hit the driver a lot farther than they really do. Tee and pin locations relative to the the scorecard distance and center of the green can be considerably different than the yardage that the hole was measured to when rated. In addition, the yardage of a hole is down the centerline of the fairway not a straight line distance from tee to pin. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, phil75070 said:

 

IMHO, using arithmetic to determine the length of tee shots is probably the worst way and leads many to think they hit the driver a lot farther than they really do. Tee and pin locations relative to the the scorecard distance and center of the green can be considerably different than the yardage that the hole was measured to when rated. In addition, the yardage of a hole is down the centerline of the fairway not a straight line distance from tee to pin. 

^ Exactly what I was getting at earlier.  Also agree that a lot of golfers think they hit 300 yd bombs because they have 110 left on a 410 yd hole.  However, they didn't consider (or ignored) that the tees were up that day, the flag is in the front of a large green, they cut the dog leg off, and were down hill and down wind.

  • Like 2

PING Hoofer Lite 

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*

Srixon Z U85 23*

Nike VR Forged Pro Combo

Vokey SM7 52.8F, 58.8M

PING BeCu Anser

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by MasterCard @ Bay Hill - Discussion & links
      John Augenstein WITB - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Jason Dufner testing a new Cobra 3D printed putter - 2021 Arnold Palmer invitational
      Rickie Fowler clubs - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Cameron T-11.5 putters - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      New LA Golf driver & putter shafts - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      Justin Rose - Axis putters - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
      New UST Mamiya Dart iron shaft - 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational
       

       
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #1
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #2
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #3
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #4
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #5
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #6
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #7
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #8
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #9
      2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational - Tuesday #10
       

       
       
      • 13 replies
    • 2021 WGC Workday Championship @ The Concession Photos- Links & Discussion (UpDaTeD)
      Please post any questions or comments here.
       
      Links...
       
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 WGC Workday Championship - Tuesday #6
      Cameron Smith's Cameron 11.5 putter - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Cameron putter 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      2021 Ping putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Rory wearing new Nike Tour Victory II shoes - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 WGC Workday Championship
       
      • 66 replies
    • 2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - discussion
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #1
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #2
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #4
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #7
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 AT&T Pebble Beach - Tuesday #9

      Ryan Moore with Axis 1 putter @ 2021 AT&T PB
       
       
       
      Please post any questions and comments here
      • 59 replies
    • 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Discussion
      General galleries
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open - Tuesday #4
      Monday Qualifier for Waste Management Open 
      Special galleries
       
      Ping PLD putters - 2021 WMPO Scott Brown with MMT graphite shafts in his ProTo Concept irons - 2021 WMPO TaylorMade putter cover from 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open New Srixon golf balls - 2021 WMPO Bettinardi putters & cover - 2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Piretti putters -2021 Waste Management Phoenix Open Cameron mallets - 2021 WMPO Odyssey 2-ball Ten - 2021 WMPO  
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Jason Day's Bag...
        • Like
      • 21 replies
    • 2021 FARMERS WITB & Equipment Photos- Links and comments
      We are back on the ground at the 2021 Farmers PGA Tour event. Please add you comments in this thread. Here are links to all the galleries:
       
      Special galleries:
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #1
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #2
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #3
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #4
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #5
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #6
       
      2021 Farmers - Tuesday #7
       
      Cameron putters - Farmers 2021
       
      Odyssey 2-ball Ten - Farmers 2021
       
      Project X Even Flow RipTide MX & LX proto shafts - Framers 2021
       
      TaylorMade putter cover for Torrey Pines - Farmers 2021
       
      Sling Shot training aid - Farmers 2021
       
       
      • 47 replies

×
×
  • Create New...