Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

If you're talking about on the course, I like a gps device with the shot distance button that drops a breadcrumb.  For range work the laser is the obvious choice.  Laser would also work ok on the course, just shoot the flag and then figure out how short or long you were.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

40 minutes ago, PingPoncho said:

that will show how far you need to hit the green but does not show you how are you hit your shots

It's pretty basic arithmetic.

380 to the pin from the tee, then 150 to the pin from where your drive lands, drive went 230.

Or note where the monument (or large tree) is on the tee relative to where you're teeing off and when you get to your drive turn around and shoot the monument.

• Thanks 1

Titleist Pro V1X

3 minutes ago, PingPoncho said:

does Arccos or shot scope have a shot distance button that drops a breadcrumb? if not, what device does?

I want to know my average distance taken over several rounds for each club and do not wan to have to do calculations while playing or writing them  down.

How ACCURATE do you want to be ?

GPS is accurate to 3-4 yards. All 3 you listed are GPS devices.

The best(?) rangefinders are accurate to less than a yard.

Up to you. 🙃

Edited by nsxguy

Titleist Pro V1X

21 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

How ACCURATE do you want to be ?

GPS is accurate to 3-4 yards. All 3 you listed are GPS devices.

The best(?) rangefinders are accurate to less than a yard.

Up to you. 🙃

For plotting shot distances on the course GPS is probably more accurate.  For example, hit a drive and drop a breadcrumb at tee box.  Then when get to ball look at GPS device for distance.  This is much more accurate then the arithmetic example you provided above.  Now, if there's something near the tee box that you can hit with a laser from where your ball landed then you could maybe do a yard or 2 better than gps.  GPS breadcrumb is a lot easier though and not every situation with the laser is going to provide you with something to shoot.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

For plotting shot distances on the course GPS is probably more accurate.  For example, hit a drive and drop a breadcrumb at tee box.  Then when get to ball look at GPS device for distance.  This is much more accurate then the arithmetic example you provided above. 

Now, if there's something near the tee box that you can hit with a laser from where your ball landed then you could maybe do a yard or 2 better than gps.  GPS breadcrumb is a lot easier though and not every situation with the laser is going to provide you with something to shoot.

I guess I'm not following you. You say GPS is much more accurate but in your last paragraph admit that laser is more accurate.

Make up my mind, will ya ? :classic_biggrin:

I can see where subtracting one number from another can easily take a few seconds and the GPS will calc it immediately so I'll give you easier/more convenient - but more accurate ? Ummm, no.

Now I fully admit one can make a mistake with the arithmetic but I did learn it in 3rd grade. :classic_wink:

And I will also admit that for driver distance, the GPS is "good enough". I mean, if I hit a drive 235 or 239, who cares ?

I'm thinking more for the irons/scoring clubs. Hitting to the pin is where a more precise distance is more/most helpful (IMO of course).

And yes, it's not always easy to find something in the right place to shoot. Tee markers can be problematic.

As I said earlier, "Up to you". 👍

Titleist Pro V1X

12 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I guess I'm not following you. You say GPS is much more accurate but in your last paragraph admit that laser is more accurate.

Make up my mind, will ya ? :classic_biggrin:

I can see where subtracting one number from another can easily take a few seconds and the GPS will calc it immediately so I'll give you easier/more convenient - but more accurate ? Ummm, no.

Now I fully admit one can make a mistake with the arithmetic but I did learn it in 3rd grade. :classic_wink:

And I will also admit that for driver distance, the GPS is "good enough". I mean, if I hit a drive 235 or 239, who cares ?

I'm thinking more for the irons/scoring clubs. Hitting to the pin is where a more precise distance is more/most helpful (IMO of course).

And yes, it's not always easy to find something in the right place to shoot. Tee markers can be problematic.

As I said earlier, "Up to you". 👍

What I meant for accuracy is the example you gave of '380 yd hole, 150 left to the pin, do the arithmetic'.  Assuming the resulting shot was 230 yds is a BIG assumption and could be off by quite a bit.  Whereas the breadcrumb approach is going to be within 1 to 3 yds.  That's all.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I'm an Arccos user and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The club distance feature is especially useful. For the distance average portion it drops off miss-hits and long outliers. You can go back and scroll through past "usage" to decipher how long you hit a particular club in different circumstances. It also will tell you the percentage missed in different directions, left, right, long, or short with each club. 

5 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

What I meant for accuracy is the example you gave of '380 yd hole, 150 left to the pin, do the arithmetic'.  Assuming the resulting shot was 230 yds is a BIG assumption and could be off by quite a bit.  Whereas the breadcrumb approach is going to be within 1 to 3 yds.  That's all.

Fair enough. What I left out was a center pin but even then that could be off by 3-4 yards easily.

So yes, off the tee I would admit the GPS devices would be more accurate and easy. And also subject to the largest variance.

But as I mentioned/alluded to in my previous post (and the OP did say "clubs") I was always thinking irons, the scoring clubs, where being more precise is more important.

thanks.gif

Titleist Pro V1X

23 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Fair enough. What I left out was a center pin but even then that could be off by 3-4 yards easily.

So yes, off the tee I would admit the GPS devices would be more accurate and easy. And also subject to the largest variance.

But as I mentioned/alluded to in my previous post (and the OP did say "clubs") I was always thinking irons, the scoring clubs, where being more precise is more important.

thanks.gif

Yep, agreed.  For iron shots to a green, shooting the flag and then estimating how far off the shot is from the flag should be ever so slightly better than GPS breadcrumbs, although it may be a 'push' since GPS won't require any estimates on the user's part.  Either should be way more than sufficient for most users to figure out their iron distances though.  So go with whichever device you prefer.  I'm in the GPS camp.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Maybe its just me, but I tend to not look at my driving distance as so many factors play into it which doesnt really tell me anything I can rely on.

The only thing nice would be how far I carried each drive, but that info is just based on best guess as to where it landed, but even then, the wind and shot shape would have played a factor.

Maybe these stats will be more relevant with averages across a lot of data, but as far as knowing how far you can carry on any given golf shot, I feel like thats more for range rather than on course.

Honestly, I still use my Game Golf system in combination with my Garmin Approach S2 on the course. However while on the Range i use the Toptracer Range they have installed at my nearby range. I use the Toptracer numbers then compare them to my Game golf and its pretty good 😊 

i also will be using my new mileseey rf when we are freed from lockdown 3 over here in the uk and when the golf clubs and ranges can reopen.

I've only used the ShotScope V3 of the three mentioned. I am very pleased with it as one of the features they added was a way to see just how far you hit your previous shot. It can be used with any club except putts. Length of all shots, including putts from both on and off the green, with accuracy limitations, can be seen post round.

ShotScope gives you an average distance for each club that includes any and all shots over 50 yards though you can choose to not include any given shot. They also provide you with what they call a "P-AVG" which throws out outliers, both long and short.

GPS has limitations that have been pointed out, 3-4 yards and that is 95% of the time. When an additional GPS signal is fully enabled across all GPS satellites (L5) , using dual signal GPS as ShotScope has incorporated into their watch will supposedly bring GPS accuracy down to a couple of feet.

IMHO, using arithmetic to determine the length of tee shots is probably the worst way and leads many to think they hit the driver a lot farther than they really do. Tee and pin locations relative to the the scorecard distance and center of the green can be considerably different than the yardage that the hole was measured to when rated. In addition, the yardage of a hole is down the centerline of the fairway not a straight line distance from tee to pin. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phil75070 said:

IMHO, using arithmetic to determine the length of tee shots is probably the worst way and leads many to think they hit the driver a lot farther than they really do. Tee and pin locations relative to the the scorecard distance and center of the green can be considerably different than the yardage that the hole was measured to when rated. In addition, the yardage of a hole is down the centerline of the fairway not a straight line distance from tee to pin. 

^ Exactly what I was getting at earlier.  Also agree that a lot of golfers think they hit 300 yd bombs because they have 110 left on a 410 yd hole.  However, they didn't consider (or ignored) that the tees were up that day, the flag is in the front of a large green, they cut the dog leg off, and were down hill and down wind.

• Like 2

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST