F1 fans?

lefthack

I will say it here first. Lando Norris is the best driver on the grid. If McLaren can get his car right next year, he's my pick to win it.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

2 hours ago, lefthack said:

I will say it here first. Lando Norris is the best driver on the grid. If McLaren can get his car right next year, he's my pick to win it.

I'm not so sure.  I'm not a fan of his, but Hamilton still pulls stuff out of thin air when he looks beaten.  Norris is quite good, but I don't know that he is any better than a bunch of them.  Although Mazespin seems to be the only driver who really doesn't belong.  

And Gasly is a driver who is really punching above the car's weight. 

24 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

And Gasly is a driver who is really punching above the car's weight. 

For sure, I'm a huge fan of his. He's pissed about next year, but if he hangs in there, he will be at Red Bull making bank.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

17 hours ago, lefthack said:

For sure, I'm a huge fan of his. He's pissed about next year, but if he hangs in there, he will be at Red Bull making bank.

I'm not so sure.  I think any car that isn't an AT is going to be anything but RB.  Highly doubt he stays after what they did to him.   

The big difference is with AT he's #1 and he knows he will be #2 at RB, Max is the money right now. But I think in the RB, it's a very close race at this point.

Perez has another year to show other teams he's worth keeping around a few more years. Seb will retire soon, same for Alonzo. So there will be seats to fill, but 2023 Red Bull will be Max and Gasley, if he isn't at McLaren.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

4 hours ago, lefthack said:

The big difference is with AT he's #1 and he knows he will be #2 at RB, Max is the money right now. But I think in the RB, it's a very close race at this point.

Perez has another year to show other teams he's worth keeping around a few more years. Seb will retire soon, same for Alonzo. So there will be seats to fill, but 2023 Red Bull will be Max and Gasley, if he isn't at McLaren.

Perez will be worth keeping so long as Carlos Slim's money comes with him.  I figured he was perfect for RB because the money he brought could also help fund the engine development project.

RB either has the car tailored specifically to Verstappen, or they really put all their eggs in one basket and screw the other guy.  Gasly and Albon both didn't do well.  And Perez, who has the driving chops, is doing better, but isn't matching Verstappen.  So at what point is it no longer a driver problem?

Is Gasly under contract?  Word was Gasly was treated just as bad or worse behind the scenes as he was publicly.  Unless the cash is huge, I can't see him staying in that ecosystem.  

I have to wonder how long Leclerc has with Ferrari.  I don't think he is quite what he was made about to be.  They have not brought the car, but Norris, Russell, Gasly have all gotten more out of lesser cars it seems to me.  He was 8th last year, currently 6th this year.  Although I could be influenced by a former coworker who always said he was waiting for Leclerc to pass somebody.

• Like 1

Leclerc was looking at a new contract to 2026. He could be a lifer and there are worse teams to commit to. 

Stroll is spending a small fortune building a new development center so they could be a major player next year. With RB building their own engines and a whole new car for everybody next year, it could be damn near anybody's game.

I think Ferrari has the best drivers pair, but I'm really pulling for Yuki to step up and help Gasley put a B team on the podium.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I'm a excited to see what Aston Martin is building. You know you are serious about your son's racing career when you buy a team for him to drive for and a car company to back it up  🤣

https://f1i.com/news/418538-stroll-new-aston-martin-factory-the-reverse-of-mclarens-mtc.html

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 9/16/2021 at 4:51 PM, golfortennis said:

Perez will be worth keeping so long as Carlos Slim's money comes with him.  I figured he was perfect for RB because the money he brought could also help fund the engine development project.

RB either has the car tailored specifically to Verstappen, or they really put all their eggs in one basket and screw the other guy.  Gasly and Albon both didn't do well.  And Perez, who has the driving chops, is doing better, but isn't matching Verstappen.  So at what point is it no longer a driver problem?

Is Gasly under contract?  Word was Gasly was treated just as bad or worse behind the scenes as he was publicly.  Unless the cash is huge, I can't see him staying in that ecosystem.  

I have to wonder how long Leclerc has with Ferrari.  I don't think he is quite what he was made about to be.  They have not brought the car, but Norris, Russell, Gasly have all gotten more out of lesser cars it seems to me.  He was 8th last year, currently 6th this year.  Although I could be influenced by a former coworker who always said he was waiting for Leclerc to pass somebody.

What's crazy is Alpine has 3 junior drivers that show skills but there aren't any seats available. Some say it's a waste to put Bottas in a seat since he's shown in the Merc he's good, but isn't great. He should retire and give the Alpha seat to an F2 kid. Seb too. He can still drive, but he's got 4 titles. Give up your seat to the next gen.

Alonso has shown he still has game at 40. But even he needs to move on soon.

Lando-Norris-Monza-podium-shoey-planetF1-1200x630.jpg

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

What's crazy is Alpine has 3 junior drivers that show skills but there aren't any seats available. Some say it's a waste to put Bottas in a seat since he's shown in the Merc he's good, but isn't great. He should retire and give the Alpha seat to an F2 kid. Seb too. He can still drive, but he's got 4 titles. Give up your seat to the next gen.

Alonso has shown he still has game at 40. But even he needs to move on soon.

Lando-Norris-Monza-podium-shoey-planetF1-1200x630.jpg

I'm $ure tho$e guy$ have rea$on$ why they $tay in the $port.....

I know Martin Brundle has said many times there is room on the grid for 2 more teams.  Porsche/Volkswagen is always making noises, but apparently are just teases.  

The bigger problem is Mazespin is a pay-driver, Latifi likely is, and a couple others probably as well.  It isn't about the best 20 drivers.  It's about the 10 or so best, and another 10 who bring a lot money with them.  

While I will certainly say I respect Hamilton doing the shoey, as well as Norris, why on earth would you do it from another guy's shoe?  I would count it if you did it from your own shoe....

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, golfortennis said:

I'm $ure tho$e guy$ have rea$on$ why they $tay in the $port.....

I know Martin Brundle has said many times there is room on the grid for 2 more teams.  Porsche/Volkswagen is always making noises, but apparently are just teases.  

The bigger problem is Mazespin is a pay-driver, Latifi likely is, and a couple others probably as well.  It isn't about the best 20 drivers.  It's about the 10 or so best, and another 10 who bring a lot money with them.  

While I will certainly say I respect Hamilton doing the shoey, as well as Norris, why on earth would you do it from another guy's shoe?  I would count it if you did it from your own shoe....

Oh please, pay me $8M to lose in a mid level car. That would be pretty rough.

It's just tough when there are only 20 seats. Russian mob money bought one, so 19. I joke with my wife (she's a huge fan) that F1 is 16 of the best drivers in the world. 🤣 

Japan has a driver, China is about to have one. I hope in 2-3 years some video game kid from the Midwest steps into a Hass program and gets a seat. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Oh please, pay me $8M to lose in a mid level car. That would be pretty rough.

It's just tough when there are only 20 seats. Russian mob money bought one, so 19. I joke with my wife (she's a huge fan) that F1 is 16 of the best drivers in the world. 🤣 

Japan has a driver, China is about to have one. I hope in 2-3 years some video game kid from the Midwest steps into a Hass program and gets a seat. 

You think Haas will even still be involved?  I'm guessing Mazespin's pops is looking at buying out the team.  I think Haas has been losing money on the team beyond what he expected he might.  

24 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

You think Haas will even still be involved?  I'm guessing Mazespin's pops is looking at buying out the team.  I think Haas has been losing money on the team beyond what he expected he might.  

They are the only American F1 team. What other team would even consider an American for a seat? 

I think Mazapin's dad is going to ship him off to the military if he doesn't step up next year. He needs to launder his money, but he also doesn't want to bankroll a loser. He could launder some serious cash if he owned the team, though. F1 isn't cheap. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

5 minutes ago, lefthack said:

They are the only American F1 team. What other team would even consider an American for a seat? 

I think Mazapin's dad is going to ship him off to the military if he doesn't step up next year. He needs to launder his money, but he also doesn't want to bankroll a loser. He could launder some serious cash if he owned the team, though. F1 isn't cheap. 

American or not, they haven't been very successful.  And while I think F1 is somewhat stacked against newbies beyond the normal growing pains type stuff, they still haven't made inroads. 

There was a good discussion somewhere where the question was asked, why would an American driver want to deal with all the stuff involved in F1 when they are probably making very good bank in IndyCar, and not dealing with 15+ different countries?  Yes there is the "prove yourself stuff", but given the politics, etc., as well, you likely have a ride in IndyCar. 

As for Mazepin, pops isn't sending him anywhere, IMHO.  If he weren't related, maybe, but I can't see it.  Closest I could see is buying the whole team, getting one driver who could contend(if they get the car right), and then keeping his son in the other car.  Just can't see it. 

Indy car doesn't pay like F1.

Taken from IndyStar:

Scott Dixon. Again, these are just educated guesses, because his contract is not public, but multiple sources speculated the six-time series champion makes somewhere between $3.5 million and $4.5 million annually, making him the highest-paid driver in the series -- which he has been for some time. 

---------------------

That's closer to the bottom of the grid. Hamilton at $40M, Max is like $32M I think Norris is at $4M a year. But there are more teams and more seat in Indy.

Hass spends a lot on NASCAR. Maybe the Russians need to buy them and give Mick a real car. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Indy car doesn't pay like F1.

Taken from IndyStar:

Scott Dixon. Again, these are just educated guesses, because his contract is not public, but multiple sources speculated the six-time series champion makes somewhere between $3.5 million and $4.5 million annually, making him the highest-paid driver in the series -- which he has been for some time. 

---------------------

That's closer to the bottom of the grid. Hamilton at $40M, Max is like $32M I think Norris is at $4M a year. But there are more teams and more seat in Indy.

Hass spends a lot on NASCAR. Maybe the Russians need to buy them and give Mick a real car. 

Actually, apparently the Nascar Haas and F1 Haas are not the same.  The principals may be related, I can't recall, but they aren't the same team like McLaren.  (At least, I could swear I read that somewhere.)

I don't know that F1 is much more after the top few guys though.  Based on https://racingnews365.com/formula-1-driver-salaries-2021  only a handful make significantly more than what they can make in IndyCar.  And currently you aren't racing as many times in IndyCar as F1, and it's all within NA.  Unless you're offered one of those big contracts, I can see why a guy may not find F1 all that attractive.

3 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Actually, apparently the Nascar Haas and F1 Haas are not the same.  The principals may be related, I can't recall, but they aren't the same team like McLaren.  (At least, I could swear I read that somewhere.)

I don't know that F1 is much more after the top few guys though.  Based on https://racingnews365.com/formula-1-driver-salaries-2021  only a handful make significantly more than what they can make in IndyCar.  And currently you aren't racing as many times in IndyCar as F1, and it's all within NA.  Unless you're offered one of those big contracts, I can see why a guy may not find F1 all that attractive.

Gene Hass (Hass CNC Automation) owns both teams. They are ran by different folks, but it all comes out of his bank account.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 minute ago, golfortennis said:

Ok, not sure where I read that.  Or maybe I imagined it.  

Btw, are you purposely spelling his name wrong?  🤪

Haas, Hass, same thing. He has too much money. Hell, Stroll and Wolfe have too much money, too. At least Wolfe can drive. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 hour ago, golfnhack said:

How did I miss this thread. Here I thought I was the only F1 fan golfer.

In for a snoozer this week. Sochi is about as interesting as Monaco and Paul Ricard (and I guess Zandvoort now).

Did you see the '22 schedule? 23 races in 32 weeks with 3 triple headers.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

I also think this is really cool 

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why-aston-martins-new-f1-base-marks-a-significant-step/6672030/ 

The best wind tunnel in F1. With a Mercedes power unit, they should be competitive.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

23 hours ago, lefthack said:

You talking about the change in venue in Russia? Yeah.. ANYTHING would be better than Sochi.

Monaco is screwed though. The race cars in the 50's/60's were half the width of today's cars, and there is no way to widen the track. It will forever remain a snooze fest.

• Like 1

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

On 9/21/2021 at 1:23 PM, lefthack said:

Somehow I don't think that will get pulled off.  Australia is probably a 30% chance of happening.  Who knows what will happen with China.  Heck who knows what will happen with our Canadian race.  

Strange that they didn't work Miami and Canada into the same trip.  China, Miami, Spain.....  then after Monaco, Azerbaijan, Canada, Silverstone.  ???  I know they came to Canada as a one off before, but making a second trip in the spring seems .... suboptimal.  

I don't know what I think of triple headers.  Nice on one hand to have races, but they also air while I'm on the course April-October, so....  wouldn't be upset with a little more spreading out.  

Interesting they don't seem to know if they will race at Paul Ricard or Imola.  Wonder what they deciding factor will be.

• Like 1

Where you gonna fit 30 cars on a track that's less than 2 miles long? 

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a37698976/mercedes-f1-campaigns-30-car-grids/

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

9 hours ago, lefthack said:

Where you gonna fit 30 cars on a track that's less than 2 miles long? 

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/formula-1/a37698976/mercedes-f1-campaigns-30-car-grids/

Given how, at Monza I believe it was, all but the top 3? finishers were lapped, what difference does it make if there are 10 more cars?  🤪

It would be nice to see in some ways, but would never work.  

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

Given how, at Monza I believe it was, all but the top 3? finishers were lapped, what difference does it make if there are 10 more cars?  🤪

It would be nice to see in some ways, but would never work.  

I'm down with adding another team or two. But imagine what a mess qualifying would be with 30 cars trying to back up to create space. Nobody would get a lap in.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

5 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I'm down with adding another team or two. But imagine what a mess qualifying would be with 30 cars trying to back up to create space. Nobody would get a lap in.

Read an interesting discussion about possible qualifying formats.  IndyCar does a group thing early on, and then brings everyone together once some have been weeded out.  Not without its issues, but could be an option.

It would also be interesting to see if they would just remove the tire limit(or increase it a fair bit).  (Or is it tyre limit?)  Part of the issue right now is they are managing tires so much that everyone comes out at the exact same time.  If they didn't have to worry about that, you wouldn't have so much "come out at beginning of session, get a lap in, and then try to cross the line before the session ends".  I think it was Austria? last year where the quali was in the rain, and so guys were just constantly running hot laps.  It was great to watch.  

but 30 cars would be excessive.  No question.