2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

F1 fans?

lefthack

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

Really looking forward to seeing how the new car behaves next year. Going from 13" tires to 18" low profile tires seems like a *massive* change that they barely even talked about on the broadcasts this year.

I'm honestly surprised they were still running tiny rims. The car must handle WAY different since there will be a lot less sidewall flex. When you see how much the tires move side to side in slow mo corners, that has to be a huge difference in how the force feels.

I think next year could be huge based on who gets the car and driver dialed first. Ferrari and McLaren made big jumps this year, so it might be more that a 2 team fight up front.

I just know my man Yuki took 4th to end his rookie year, that was epic. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 12/12/2021 at 10:44 AM, dcmidnight said:

Sure you do, sort of, Nascar does it on every single restart - or at least they used to when I stopped watching a few years back. Every restart you had one car getting the "free pass".

I'm a Hamilton fan but IMO they screwed up in not covering Max on his first pit stop. No reason not to bring Lewis in then, I'm not buying the "track position" excuse they gave him. They would have been on the same tire rotation with the clearly faster car. 

Being a fan of Max or Lewis would obviously skew the emotions of the ending I'm agnostic towards both so for me I was happy what the stewards did because the ending of that race couldn't have been more tense or more dramatic. 

The world championship came down to the last lap.  Lewis was screwed because of his tires but Max has to carry his nuts around in a wheelbarrow - that dude goes flat out. 

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

3 hours ago, lefthack said:

I'm honestly surprised they were still running tiny rims. The car must handle WAY different since there will be a lot less sidewall flex. When you see how much the tires move side to side in slow mo corners, that has to be a huge difference in how the force feels.

I think next year could be huge based on who gets the car and driver dialed first. Ferrari and McLaren made big jumps this year, so it might be more that a 2 team fight up front.

I just know my man Yuki took 4th to end his rookie year, that was epic. 

I just hope the change will reduce the impact tire deg has on races.  While it has to be a factor, it seems like it is way too big of one.  

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

19 hours ago, ebrasmus21 said:

Being a fan of Max or Lewis would obviously skew the emotions of the ending I'm agnostic towards both so for me I was happy what the stewards did because the ending of that race couldn't have been more tense or more dramatic. 

The world championship came down to the last lap.  Lewis was screwed because of his tires but Max has to carry his nuts around in a wheelbarrow - that dude goes flat out. 

Agreed. And again if the tables were reversed, Toto would have been begging for a restart of one more lap.

Still have no idea why they didn't just mirror Max's first stop. They had clearly the better engine, there was no reason not to - that I could see.

18 hours ago, golfortennis said:

I just hope the change will reduce the impact tire deg has on races.  While it has to be a factor, it seems like it is way too big of one.  

I'm more interested in the impact the low profile tire has on some of those curbs. Some of the new tracks had pretty aggressive curbing which may (?) have an impact when you push a low profile tire into it, sideways, at 200 kph. Heck they said that some of the curbs on the new track last weekend had to be ground down in the middle of the night.

• Like 2

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Agreed. And again if the tables were reversed, Toto would have been begging for a restart of one more lap.

Still have no idea why they didn't just mirror Max's first stop. They had clearly the better engine, there was no reason not to - that I could see.

I'm more interested in the impact the low profile tire has on some of those curbs. Some of the new tracks had pretty aggressive curbing which may (?) have an impact when you push a low profile tire into it, sideways, at 200 kph. Heck they said that some of the curbs on the new track last weekend had to be ground down in the middle of the night.

I know Brundle has been going on about track limits(and I agree with him).  Maybe this will help to actually "enforce" them?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

There was no way merc were going to make Lewis have to overtake Max, even with a faster car and better tyres, can pretty much say for certain if Lewis had got in front at the end of the straight max would have just plowed into him, he had nothing to lose doing that, if he got a 30 second penalty wouldnt have mattered because lewis wouldnt have finished

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, Superbrit said:

There was no way merc were going to make Lewis have to overtake Max, even with a faster car and better tyres, can pretty much say for certain if Lewis had got in front at the end of the straight max would have just plowed into him, he had nothing to lose doing that, if he got a 30 second penalty wouldnt have mattered because lewis wouldnt have finished

There was no way Max was going to wreck him. Everyone was expecting it and the FIA made it pretty clear.

I don't think Hamilton could have beat him with fresh tires, either. Max was on a mission, that last lap was all him.

• Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Just now, lefthack said:

There was no way Max was going to wreck him. Everyone was expecting it and the FIA made it pretty clear.

I don't think Hamilton could have beat him with fresh tires, either. Max was on a mission, that last lap was all him.

If lewis had brand new red tires max wouldn't have got close, compared to the tires Lewis was on it was worth 3 seconds a lap, lewis was nearly 10 seconds ahead before the safety car, and max virtually had a fee pitstop before that so was already on fresher tires, and still couldn't catch him

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

34 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

If lewis had brand new red tires max wouldn't have got close, compared to the tires Lewis was on it was worth 3 seconds a lap, lewis was nearly 10 seconds ahead before the safety car, and max virtually had a fee pitstop before that so was already on fresher tires, and still couldn't catch him

We will never know because Mercedes chose to keep him out. It just wasn't meant to be.

Sad because Hamilton has no chance next year and he only has 2 more years to get #8. There are too many kids who can drive. 2025 ditches the exhaust hybrid system and gets maybe 2 more PU suppliers. If Mercedes can still win, it's with Russell.

• Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

1 minute ago, lefthack said:

We will never know because Mercedes chose to keep him out. It just wasn't meant to be.

Sad because Hamilton has no chance next year and he only has 2 more years to get #8. There are too many kids who can drive. 2025 ditches the exhaust hybrid system and gets maybe 2 more PU suppliers. If Mercedes can still win, it's with Russell.

Well no one knows who will have the best car next year that's for sure, but to say Lewis has no chance? for me its still only Max that can get close to him, maybe Norris in an equally good car

Although don't be surprised if Lewis doesn't come back after what happened, which will be a sad day for F1 if he doesnt

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

9 minutes ago, Superbrit said:

Well no one knows who will have the best car next year that's for sure, but to say Lewis has no chance? for me its still only Max that can get close to him, maybe Norris in an equally good car

Although don't be surprised if Lewis doesn't come back after what happened, which will be a sad day for F1 if he doesnt

You put Leclaric, Sains, Gasley, Max, Lando, Russell, and Hamilton in the same car, I'm not giving Lewis an edge.

Russell will be in the same car as Lewis, that fits him. Watch Russell outdrive him next year. But the car will matter most next year. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

"For 57 Laps in Abu Dhabi, He Was Going to Be 8-Time World Champion, but There Were 58 Laps” - Romain Grosjean 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 12/16/2021 at 6:04 PM, lefthack said:

"For 57 Laps in Abu Dhabi, He Was Going to Be 8-Time World Champion, but There Were 58 Laps” - Romain Grosjean 🤣

Was Grosjean an awful driver or was he in an awful car or both?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

12 minutes ago, ebrasmus21 said:

Was Grosjean an awful driver or was he in an awful car or both?

Both? He caught fire, that was a limiting factor. He's been doing well in Indy.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 12/16/2021 at 5:38 AM, dcmidnight said:

Tire durability won't really be effected. The big difference with be in suspension setups. F1 cars have been runing super stiff because the tire aborbs a lot of those bumps and track irregularities. With the smaller side wall the tire becomes much stiffer so the suspension has to be able to absorb more of the forces. Having a better mechanical setup is going to be much more important than it has been in the past.

Edited by Jc0

3 hours ago, Jc0 said:

Tire durability won't really be effected. The big difference with be in suspension setups. F1 cars have been runing super stiff because the tire aborbs a lot of those bumps and track irregularities. With the smaller side wall the tire becomes much stiffer so the suspension has to be able to absorb more of the forces. Having a better mechanical setup is going to be much more important than it has been in the past.

F2 has been running them for a couple years, so they should have some idea of the changes needed.

I agree with Alonso in that I think one team will exploit a grey area and have an advantage out the gate while everyone else scrambles to catch up. I would love to see 4 teams fighting up front.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

But here’s my beef. Any other race the thing would end on a yellow flag. Why wait for the final race of the season. If it ends on yellow, it ends on a yellow.
in the upcoming 2022 season I’m going to see if the stewards do the same thing on races upcoming.

Thats basically why the uproar is all about. 
You can’t just line up all the cars during a yellow for one lap. 

• Like 1

It should have gone red with 5 laps to go. Everyone gets fresh tires, restart and give it 5 laps to shake out. 

But I would rather see one lap of racing than a yellow parade to the end. 

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

So just read today that Otmar Szafnauer is leaving Aston Martin.  Apparently there were some rumors of him ending up at Alpine.

Wasn't what I would have expected, but word is he and Lawrence Stroll were not seeing eye to eye.

I was a little surprised by that as well but Alpine might be a better fit. I think Alpine might be hot this year. I know Alonso wants a few more wins. 

I'm more interested in Red Bulls aero engineer, that's a good mess. The LAST thing you want in a new aero package is someone else getting it, too. 🤣

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

If Hamilton retires, Mercedes poaches Gasley? That would be interesting, I know he's ready for a real shot.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-news-how-gasly-can-replace-lewis-hamilton-at-mercedes-in-big-blow-to-red-bull-f1/

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Cant see Hamilton going out like that, just cant. 

Although I also cant fathom what its like to have that much cash so - maybe its just not worth it. Combine how great Max is with the new car? I dont know.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

11 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Cant see Hamilton going out like that, just cant. 

Although I also cant fathom what its like to have that much cash so - maybe its just not worth it. Combine how great Max is with the new car? I dont know.

I honestly think Russell will be a bigger worry than Max. If Red Bull has a strong car and Mercedes tries to make Russell be support, they could lose. I think as bad as Mercedes wants an 8th title for Hamilton, I think a win by either is best. 

Hamilton had never had a slow car, ever. Russell has been in the back for 3 years scrapping for a single point. He pushed that Williams past it's limits, he will crush in the Mercedes. Had the pit crew not screwed him in '20 he would have won in a Mercedes that was too small for him.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Damn, that is bold. While I don't see him getting another title, I would love to see Alonso get at least one win this year. 

Ferrari with double championship with Carlos as drivers champ. 

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

4 minutes ago, lefthack said:

Damn, that is bold. While I don't see him getting another title, I would love to see Alonso get at least one win this year. 

Ferrari with double championship with Carlos as drivers champ. 

I'm in the minority that thinks Alonso is a better driver than Hamilton or Vettel. 🤷‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Toybota said:

I'm in the minority that thinks Alonso is a better driver than Hamilton or Vettel. 🤷‍♂️

I totally agree at this stage. He's driving at a wicked high level at 40! If he has a car that runs, I know he can win. 

The new level coming up, though. Even Sainz says the new kids drive fast and clean. I'm excited to see how the new car does.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Ferrari has been working with Shell and not only recovered the power lost switching to E10 but was able to find as much as a 6% gain. So that gives them as much as 16% power increase over an unchanged '21 PU. That plus the upgraded hybrid system they deployed at the end of last year makes them look damn competitive.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW