Big Max Bags at Costco

39 minutes ago, awtryau89 said:

https://www.costco.com/dri-light-summit-golf-stand-bag.product.100772158.html

Anyone had any experience with this bag? Seems like a great deal and being water repellent makes it attractive. Just wondering about the quality and maybe get an idea of who actually makes the bag.

They get lots of play in Europe, and from what I’ve heard is that they are 2nd to none in the waterproof dept! 

https://thegolfwire.com/big-max-european-market-share/

30 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

They get lots of play in Europe, and from what I’ve heard is that they are 2nd to none in the waterproof dept! 

https://thegolfwire.com/big-max-european-market-share/

Good news. Just ordered one and will report back. $148 with tax and free shipping. I haven't been interested in waterproof much until this year. I have been caught in 2 downpours. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, awtryau89 said:

Good news. Just ordered one and will report back. $148 with tax and free shipping. I haven't been interested in waterproof much until this year. I have been caught in 2 downpours. 

Definitely give it a proper write up. 

I got a Titleist Hybrid 14 recently from 2019-2020, but wish I saw this instead. 

The Titleist Hybrid 14 has plenty of club tangle and I have standard +4 grips 😡 My 2007ish Ogio Ozone (Woode top) has less tangle, but I tend to ride 90% due to back injury/arthritis 

The Big Max are supposed to sit nice and flat on a cart or push cart from what I’ve read. I didn’t care for the Giant BIG MAX branding, but the Costco version seems not to have that. 

Looks like a great bag, I hope it fits your needs. 

please give us a proper write up when you get out on some rounds and find the time to do so! 

Edited by Drivingrangehero

I bought one and love it.  It looks like the bag is the same bag that was old as the hybrid. The bag replaced a SM 4.5 14 way.  I love the water resistance.  As online reviews say for the hybrid, the material for the bag does not have a lot of give - i noticed that the big pocket would only hold my rain coat.  I love the insulated cooling pocket which fits 3 sixteen bottles easily.  

I have played four rounds with it and really like the weight.  Have not used it in the rain yet but dirt wipes off easily,

For the price I don't think you cannot go wrong - especially since Costco is like $80 cheaper than the manufacturer (it ships straight from them).  I figure if I don't like it I can always return it. 

I got the bag and it immediately went back. The way I arrange my clubs, the putter goes in a top slot. I use a superstroke and it would not fit in one of those slots. This made the bag a non starter for me. That aside, the bag is a very good value. It fit great on my cart and the materials were all very good. Storage was decent but not top level. I needed a few more pockets but could have made it work. The zippers were iffy to me. They were all waterproof but very hard to work. Again something I could work around. Legs and base were very similar to the Mizuno bags if you have seen those. Overall I was sad the slots were too small for my putter. If it weren't for that I would have kept it.

I bought the older version of this bag used off eBay, and I'm tempted to jump on this deal, just because...

Seems high quality and well thought out, and for the Costco price, this is serious bang for the buck.

It fits well on my Rovic RV-1C push cart. This bag doesn't have an external "foot" to activate the legs, so I think it would tend to fit better on push carts generally.

Because the zippers are waterproof, they're stiffer than those on other bags, but, to me, not excessively so. (Mine was "preowned," so it's possible they've loosened up a little from use.) Since I put the bag in play, I've been caught in several heavy rains (!@#$ Gulf Coast weather) and everything stayed dry.

Although I would prefer it at the top, a slot in the bottom middle is larger than the other 13, and my midsize putter grip fits easily.

It has enough storage for my needs, but I don't pack a lot of stuff.

I did make one modification. I like quick-release bag straps, so they don't get in the way when I use my push cart. For about eight bucks, I got these clips. They work perfectly. 

image.png.a45104235d4657c5f728766bebf2d96a.png

• 2 months later...

I've had this bag for about 6 rounds now and I thought I'd post some comments. I bought it to play during winter rains in the PNW. I've only had it out once in the rain and that part seems OK so far. I haven't had any issues with the zippers as described above but I do have an issue with the "valuables" pocket. It's much too tight. I have trouble slipping my slender hand into the pocket without scraping it. I like to keep my range finder in there and it's caused me to have to switch to one of the less handy front pockets. I also have a SuperStroke putter grip and my putter fits into the middle opening at the top of the bag fairly well. It sometimes catches when I pull it out but it's not a major hassle. Same with the non-full-length dividers. Clubs get somewhat tangled when pulling them out or returning them but a little jiggling fixes the problem. I've not noticed this to be any more of an issue than is is on my Sun Mountain 4.5 14-way.

Other issues: I really miss having a pen holder on the bag. I hate having to fish around for a marker when putting a new ball into play. I'm not crazy about the cooler pocket. It's much more narrow than the one on the SM and I can't see myself carrying a beverage in there. I'm using it to hold a couple of balls, since there isn't any place to hold a couple at the ready the way there is on the SM. The fabric of the bag is pretty thin which helps to keep the bag light, I suppose. The shoulder straps are fairly wide but comfortable. The legs work well and I haven't had any issues when putting it on a cart. The bag has a "bulky" feel when I'm carrying.

All in all, I'd say it's a pretty good deal for $139 but I'll probably go back to my SM (or get a new SM - I just couldn't see myself getting an H2No) when the raining season ends.

• Thanks 2

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know the difference between the Big Max DriLite Hybrid (the bag I own) and the DriLite Summit (the bag on offer from Costco)? They look identical. I'd jump on the current Costco deal if it were more than just a sideways move. I submitted this question to Big Max, but they seem disinclined to answer.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:58 AM, Leftist said:

Does anyone know the difference between the Big Max DriLite Hybrid (the bag I own) and the DriLite Summit (the bag on offer from Costco)? They look identical. I'd jump on the current Costco deal if it were more than just a sideways move. I submitted this question to Big Max, but they seem disinclined to answer.

Big Max answered my question. I got this yesterday:

The bags are nearly identical and have the same features and construction, with only a slight difference in fabric and color pallet.  Due to incredible stand bag demand here in the U.S. and factory sourcing issues resulting from Covid, we requested assistance from Big Max Golf Europe, our parent company and the European market leading brand in golf bags and push carts. We were able to redirect shipments of this Euro model bag to the U.S. The Hybrid and Summit are both excellent choices. Thank you for your interest in Big Max Golf.

The Hybrid Tour would be the updated version of the Hybrid.