2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

USK Qualifying and Priority lists

Haven't done US kids in a while because I could piggy back younger kid with older kids on other tours.  I noticed that a lot the better kids who have been playing a while are not playing the local events. Looks like they moved on to regional events.

For the most part if the goal is to play in the worlds you should be looking at those regional events. 

My personal feeling is you are better off to move on to local PGA if you kid is old enough for their events.  If you kid is under 10 though US kids is the place to be.

My experience is that a lot of kids are not playing in US Kids local tour events because they cannot get into the field. Our local tour only has 6 spots available per tournament in some age groups and everything immediately fills up as soon as registration opens. As a result, you get a mix of players in the small fields. Even worse, we did not even have a summer season. The result is that a lot of the players that have historically played US Kids have moved to other tournaments.

As for qualifying for Worlds, local tours remain the best way to get there. The Regional events generally have the same scoring requirements as local events in order to get status, but the Regionals are generally on more difficult and longer setups.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Haven't done US kids in a while because I could piggy back younger kid with older kids on other tours.  I noticed that a lot the better kids who have been playing a while are not playing the local events. Looks like they moved on to regional events.

For the most part if the goal is to play in the worlds you should be looking at those regional events. 

My personal feeling is you are better off to move on to local PGA if you kid is old enough for their events.  If you kid is under 10 though US kids is the place to be.

Unless I’m looking at something wrong, it’s seems like local tours is absolutely the easiest way to qualify for worlds. From the looks of it, our US Kids is going to be the same yardages as our state tour for 10 yo. I imagine the fields will be similar as well. They are well priced and have done a good job of avoiding the dates of our state tour. Will probably play some just to supplement the schedule

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Movingday said:

Unless I’m looking at something wrong, it’s seems like local tours is absolutely the easiest way to qualify for worlds. From the looks of it, our US Kids is going to be the same yardages as our state tour for 10 yo. I imagine the fields will be similar as well. They are well priced and have done a good job of avoiding the dates of our state tour. Will probably play some just to supplement the schedule

Locals is by farrrr the easiest way to get status for worlds. Its always shorter so shooter better scores can be obtained easier. Locals and states the 2 best ways. Focus on the score and the outcome takes care of its self. Winning locals does not give you a better status all about score now. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, darter79 said:

Locals is by farrrr the easiest way to get status for worlds. Its always shorter so shooter better scores can be obtained easier. Locals and states the 2 best ways. Focus on the score and the outcome takes care of its self. Winning locals does not give you a better status all about score now. 

Us Kids has changed so much over the years. The courses at the local level are just horrific.  They literally play on the worse courses in the area that should be shut down.  

My comment about regionals was based on the fact you will be playing a much better course with greens that are playable and half decent.  You really don't need to be playing courses with greens like this. The fairways were even worse.

IMIMG_7041.jpg.3061d4dad0b9277bc21564f615d76a4e.jpgG_7041.HEIC

Edited by tiger1873

2 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Us Kids has changed so much over the years. The courses at the local level are just horrific.  They literally play on the worse courses in the area that should be shut down.  

My comment about regionals was based on the fact you will be playing a much better course with greens that are playable and half decent.  You really don't need to be playing courses with greens like this. The fairways were even worse.

IMUnavailable IMG_7041.jpg.3061d4dad0b9277bc21564f615d76a4e.jpg G_7041.HEICUnavailable

local will be different in each section but regardless of those greens. Some make it easy some make it harder.  A lot easier from a lot shorter vs regionals. And in order to get into a regional you must first have the correct status.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

IMUnavailable IMG_7041.jpg.3061d4dad0b9277bc21564f615d76a4e.jpg G_7041.HEICUnavailable

So one time you played at a bad course for US Kids and now they all suck lol. Ours are being played on very nice courses. The only bummer our home course is hosting on Masters Sunday. We won’t be playing that weekend. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Movingday said:

So one time you played at a bad course for US Kids and now they all suck lol. Ours are being played on very nice courses. The only bummer our home course is hosting on Masters Sunday. We won’t be playing that weekend. 

The local tour here is playing on crappy courses for the whole season. The list of courses are the worst conditions in the area. I know this because we made the mistake of playing at some of them over the years. 

i had high hopes for this course because it was suppose to have had a renovation and it at one time was fun track. Obviously they did not do much after been shut down for a few years and looks in worse shape then I ever seen it.

That picture was one of the better holes.   It’s okay if you just want to play a 1 day throw away tournament but lets be serious conditions like that isn’t going to produce good results.

if your serious about playing worlds i just think you owe it to yourself and you kid to play a nicer course.  The regionals are on usually playable courses.

if you have decent local tour with nice courses then by all means play it.

It not just US Kids Local pga also plays some of the same courses. Parents seem to sign them up still. If it’s a ranked 2 day tournament your not really doing your kid a favor playing them. Sometimes it is better to stay home.

Edited by tiger1873

18 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

The local tour here is playing on crappy courses for the whole season. The list of courses are the worst conditions in the area. I know this because we made the mistake of playing at some of them over the years. 

i had high hopes for this course because it was suppose to have had a renovation and it at one time was fun track. Obviously they did not do much after been shut down for a few years and looks in worse shape then I ever seen it.

That picture was one of the better holes.   It’s okay if you just want to play a 1 day throw away tournament but lets be serious conditions like that isn’t going to produce good results.

if your serious about playing worlds i just think you owe it to yourself and you kid to play a nicer course.  The regionals are on usually playable courses.

It not just US Kids Local pga also plays some of the same courses. Parents seem to sign them up still. If it’s a ranked 2 day tournament your not really doing your kid a favor playing them. Sometimes it is better to stay home.

10 year old. Just trying to have fun and play golf. My kids are competitive so they will compete to win every time they go out, but at 10 I promise, winning isn’t the goal. If worlds happen then great, but it won’t be a goal. I won’t even tell my son it’s a possibility. I am just curious about the process. Everything doesn’t revolve around rankings and every time your unsuccessful it doesn’t mean that you’ve been cheated or wronged in some way. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Movingday said:

10 year old. Just trying to have fun and play golf. My kids are competitive so they will compete to win every time they go out, but at 10 I promise, winning isn’t the goal. If worlds happen then great, but it won’t be a goal. I won’t even tell my son it’s a possibility. I am just curious about the process. Everything doesn’t revolve around rankings and every time your unsuccessful it doesn’t mean that you’ve been cheated or wronged in some way. 

I really don’t like US Kids events that much.  I understand why people play them.  People in my opinion worry about qualifying too much.  If your willing to pay the money to go you will most likely get a chance to go assuming your kid practices a bit at it. 

My younger kid is not ready to play without a caddie. So options are limited that why we will play US Kids right  now.   If your playing us Kids events it about fun and if your kid is willing to out the work in and finding out if they like golf. 

personally I think playing a 9-12  FJT 3 day event is a bigger accomplishment then US Kids world. Have very little desire to play worlds.

Sounds bad here in UAE besides one course I would say we play all top courses., and these course where parents complain is still in a better condition than 90% courses in EU. Yas Links for example couple weeks before HSBC DPWorld Tour, so condition amazing everywhere but, courses are tougher probably, but I partly agree with @Movingdayits about fun, you can have it nearly everywhere.
I dont think its right to say 10y and younger isnt about winning, most kids here really want to win most even want to qualify for worlds, so I think you should play courses in good condition but as soon as the tournament is over they forgot their placing and play with each other for hours Tag, Putting, Playground or whatever is possible on the courses. 
So at the course everyone wants to win, but as soon its over most kids dont care 🙂

Edited by MWhack
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

51 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I really don’t like US Kids events that much.  I understand why people play them.  People in my opinion worry about qualifying too much.  If your willing to pay the money to go you will most likely get a chance to go assuming your kid practices a bit at it. 

My younger kid is not ready to play without a caddie. So options are limited that why we will play US Kids right  now.   If your playing us Kids events it about fun and if your kid is willing to out the work in and finding out if they like golf. 

personally I think playing a 9-12  FJT 3 day event is a bigger accomplishment then US Kids world. Have very little desire to play worlds.

Man oh man. From haven’t played US Kids in a while because need play with older kids on other tours. To don’t play US Kids because the courses suck. To have to play US Kids because we need a caddie in less than a day. Bravo sir, Bravo! I bet you’re a treat on the car ride home

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, MWhack said:

Sounds bad here in UAE besides one course I would say we play all top courses., and these course where parents complain is still in a better condition than 90% courses in EU. Yas Links for example couple weeks before HSBC DPWorld Tour, so condition amazing everywhere but, courses are tougher probably, but I partly agree with @Movingdayits about fun, you can have it nearly everywhere.
I dont think its right to say 10y and younger isnt about winning, most kids here really want to win most even want to qualify for worlds, so I think you should play courses in good condition but as soon as the tournament is over they forgot their placing and play with each other for hours Tag, Putting, Playground or whatever is possible on the courses. 
So at the course everyone wants to win, but as soon its over most kids dont care 🙂

Everyone really wants to win. That’s not what I’m saying. My kids are trying to win every time they tee it up. They are competitive and I’ve raised them to be. What I’m saying, is I don’t make it about winning. I never talk to them about winning, advancing, ranking, etc. I only talk to them about having fun, doing their best, trying to improve their individual game. The stress of winning will come and the importance will matter at some point. 10 yo isn’t the time. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Movingday said:

Everyone really wants to win. That’s not what I’m saying. My kids are trying to win every time they tee it up. They are competitive and I’ve raised them to be. What I’m saying, is I don’t make it about winning. I never talk to them about winning, advancing, ranking, etc. I only talk to them about having fun, doing their best, trying to improve their individual game. The stress of winning will come and the importance will matter at some point. 10 yo isn’t the time. 

Fully agree, since I try to tech my daughter to focus on improving her skills instead of winning. Results becoming better and she has more fun on tournament days.
First tournament year we def. focused to much on USKids Worlds, and she didnt made it. Now I said we dont fly even she qualifies, she played without pressure and she gets now at least Priority 9 at the end of the series.
So yes fun and friends with focus on practice generates for sure better results then focus on the next tournament win.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Movingday said:

Man oh man. From haven’t played US Kids in a while because need play with older kids on other tours. To don’t play US Kids because the courses suck. To have to play US Kids because we need a caddie in less than a day. Bravo sir, Bravo! I bet you’re a treat on the car ride home

I take it from your posts you do not have an older kid who has outgrown US Kids.  I am not surprised by this because most parents who have kids in US Kids do not have exposure to other tours that older kids play. 

Everyone knows US Kids are some the worst tournaments out there especially locals.  There might be some better local tours out there but I haven't seen them yet.

The best tournaments for us has been ones that have 9 holes the same time with the older kids. You know how nice it is to not have to split up with wife at one course an me at another.  I really wish more tours did this.

The only reason I started to play US Kids again is the south florida PGA decided to make it harder to jump between divisions with some misguided policies .   Jumping from 9 holes with a caddie to 18 holes at much longer yardage without a caddie is a kind of big jump.   US Kids is close to home and allows caddies for 18 holes so it's a logical choice for a couple of months.

Here in Florida the best tournament for 9-12 is FJT hands down. It's 36 holes without caddies and they have usually a lot officials and really does a good job of teaching the kids what to expect as they get older.   They truly make put US kids tournaments to shame.

Edited by tiger1873

9 minutes ago, Movingday said:

I take it from your post that you don’t read what you write. You definitely don’t read what others write. You take your one experience and ALWAYS make it the way it is ALL the time for EVERYONE. I only respond because I’m afraid someone new to the board might actually believe the things you say. 
I have a 14 year old, plays on the Sneds (main tour in TN). He is at a point where we are starting to care more about what tournaments he plays and he is definitely in a space right now where he wants to be an elite golfer and is working towards that. I think (my personal opinion) he’s at the age to make that decision and shift all his focus to golf. I do not believe that with my 10 yo. I will not allow him to to focus on golf yet. He plays about half the year. The other half he plays other stuff. Our US Kids is playing on some nice courses. The dates work for us and we don’t have to travel. If he qualifies for worlds then great. (50/50 on whether we would go). If he doesn’t. Also great. 
I ask questions on this board because I never played competitive golf and I am always trying to learn. Hearing others opinions is always helpful. There are definitely some people on here that give great advice. I enjoy reading about the game and am really trying to learn about equipment. Maybe one day we will be “serious” about golf lol.

You have no clue and from what you post it's pretty clear you think you know me.   Trust me you really don't. 

I will be honest with you your kid is late if he is 14 and just now starting to get serious about golf. He is way behind the curve. Around 11 or 12 is where you start to see kids practice a lot. They don't need to win but they better be putting in some serious hours.  If you kid likes it you will know way before they are 14 or 15.

US Kids world is easy to qualify.  Yes you have to put in some time and effort but it's not like a USGA event where your going to have to have a ton of skill to get into.

5 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

You have no clue and from what you post it's pretty clear you think you know me.   Trust me you really don't. 

I will be honest with you your kid is late if he is 14 and just now starting to get serious about golf. He is way behind the curve. Around 11 or 12 is where you start to see kids practice a lot. They don't need to win but they better be putting in some serious hours.  If you kid likes it you will know way before they are 14 or 15.

US Kids world is easy to qualify.  Yes you have to put in some time and effort but it's not like a USGA event where your going to have to have a ton of skill to get into.

Certain USKids age groups are easier to qualify.

If you think it is easy for boys 10+ to qualify for Worlds you don't pay attention. By that age you have to be a par or better golfer now Tiger, we aren't talking like the old days.

Also not all kids need to be putting in crazy hours at 10-11, there are PGA tour guys and numerous numerous numerous D1 kids who didn't take up the game until late. Every kid is different Tiger.  

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BloctonGolf11 said:

Certain USKids is easy to qualify.

If you think it is easy for boys 10+ to qualify for Worlds you don't pay attention. By that age you have to be a par or better golfer now Tiger, we aren't talking like the old days. 

If you put in the effort and practice and stay focused. You should have no problem unless your kid is just not athletic at all they should be able to make it.  

At the younger ages you can work hard is enough to make it to the top. Once they get older you need a little skill to go along with the work. Even then you need luck sometimes on your side.

Now is going to worlds worth it that is another topic.

2 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

If you put in the effort and practice and stay focused. You should have no problem unless your kid is just not athletic at all they should be able to make it.  

At the younger ages you can work hard is enough to make it to the top. Once they get older you need a little skill to go along with the work. Even then you need luck sometimes on your side.

Now is going to worlds worth it that is another topic.

Just a little skill to be a tournament par golfer?

I just can't with you today.

• Like 4

Just now, darter79 said:

Easy? Not so much my uneducated friend. Easier for girls nothing easy about doing as a boy. Older girls even harder. You can't go shoot 85 and win the tour and get in any more. You have to SCORE. If its easy why have I never seen you there? 

There really is no need to play US Kids worlds when you can play FJT.  The level of competition is higher in my opinion then worlds. I am talking about when they play 18 holes a day too.

When it comes to 9 holes I tend to think of US Kids worlds as a rip off.  I know lots of people like doing it and that is okay. It just not worth spending that money at this age to play it for me.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

Just a little skill to be a tournament par golfer?

I just can't with you today.

Your talking what 2200 yards for 9 holes for a 10 year old.  That's short for a lot kids that a driver and wedge on the green.  All they need to do is lag putt and tap it in it should be pretty easy. 

It's a lot different when there 16 or 17 and playing close to 7000 yards..

Edited by tiger1873
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Your talking what 2200 yards for 9 holes for a 10 year old.  That's short for a lot kids that a driver and wedge on the green.  All they need to do is lag putt and tap it in it should be pretty easy. 

Again check your facts. At 10 worlds is 4400, and 10 isn't 2200 at a local, its actually shorter. Yeah soo so easy. Then why isn't all the scoring par or better? That's right not every 10 year old will hit it 175+ Some might only hit it 125. Blade it over 3 times chunk it a few more and 4 putt. Even kids who can play those yardages can become awkward. Nothing easy about it.  USKG isn't setting it up for the LONGEST hitters. Its setup for what they consider the average kid distances not GOLFWRX averages. You sound foolish and uneducated. Go look crap up before just making it up here.  Again if it was so easy all the tours would be par or better but its no where near that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

One drive in the water and you double bogey a hole now you have to throw two birdies out to recover. Every bogey, a birdie to cover it up. Just because it is short doesn't take away the course management and consistency that it takes to post a red or even par number and you have to do it twice to hit standard now. At 9 holes it can be even more difficult because there are so fewer holes to clean up mistakes. Add on that some of these tours are on crappy courses where it is actually harder to score and others are at pristine level courses where the greens can be difficult to drop a two putt on and any semblance of par golf being "easy" is gone. The idea that you can be that level of golfer with "just a little work" is one of the most asinine things you have ever said on this board and that is a freaking bold statement. Going red is hard and acting like it is easy is foolish. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

5DE32B3B-F8C4-41A7-8251-34B749D0A459.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, darter79 said:

Again check your facts. At 10 worlds is 4400, and 10 isn't 2200 at a local, its actually shorter. Yeah soo so easy. Then why isn't all the scoring par or better? That's right not every 10 year old will hit it 175+ Some might only hit it 125. Blade it over 3 times chunk it a few more and 4 putt. Even kids who can play those yardages can become awkward. Nothing easy about it.  USKG isn't setting it up for the LONGEST hitters. Its setup for what they consider the average kid distances not GOLFWRX averages. You sound foolish and uneducated. Go look crap up before just making it up here.  Again if it was so easy all the tours would be par or better but its no where near that. 

I went off this chart.  Kids who work and practice have no problem doing well enough if they are serious about wanting to go.  

Parents of younger kids really don't understand that a lot the kids that win US Kids are not the ones who win when kids get older.

https://foundation.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/player-info/age-groups-and-yardages

When they get older you have to really work hard but you need a little talent too. 

Edited by tiger1873

10 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I went off this chart.  Kids who work and practice have no problem doing well enough if they are serious about wanting to go.  

Parents of younger kids really don't understand that a lot the kids that win US Kids are not the ones who win when kids get older.

https://foundation.uskidsgolf.com/tournaments/player-info/age-groups-and-yardages

When they get older you have to really work hard but you need a little talent too. 

By your logic shouldn't we see a lot more red numbers on Hurricanes since they aren't long either but I guess those kids just aren't working hard enough. Just drive wedge lag putt right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2