2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

USK Qualifying and Priority lists

7 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

By your logic shouldn't we see a lot more red numbers on Hurricanes since they aren't long either but I guess those kids just aren't working hard enough. Just drive wedge lag putt right? 

No because Hurricanes are lot longer than US Kids tournaments and they play on harder courses. The same thing is AJGA and other tournaments that older kids play. 

You really can't compare the them at all. Much different skill set

Even playing FJT 9-12 ia very different skill set and mental game then US Kids.

20 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

No because Hurricanes are lot longer than US Kids tournaments and they play on harder courses. The same thing is AJGA and other tournaments that older kids play. 

Hurricanes play on the same courses as USKids here or inferior to the USKids. USKids here are playing on premium courses. Our USKids tour plays on courses that host AJGA, SJGT, oh and a Korn Ferry event so take that USKids plays on inferior courses crap and shove it up your pie hole. 

USKids 15 - 18 and HJGT Girls are playing essentially the same yardages Tiger, where are the red numbers?

USKids 12 and 13 year old boys are playing the same or longer than Hurricanes, where are all the red numbers?

5600 is short for HS Girls so where are all the red numbers? 

Drive, wedge, lag, tap in right Tiger? Why aren't they doing it?

Would love your explanation how it is such a different skill and mental game though, I will pop some popcorn for what you come up with on that. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Oh and for context, I hate the current USKids system, despise the way they do things, so I am not a USKids fanboy defending them, but saying its easy to qualify for Worlds is ridiculous. 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, darter79 said:

Again check your facts. At 10 worlds is 4400, and 10 isn't 2200 at a local, its actually shorter. Yeah soo so easy. Then why isn't all the scoring par or better? That's right not every 10 year old will hit it 175+ Some might only hit it 125. Blade it over 3 times chunk it a few more and 4 putt. Even kids who can play those yardages can become awkward. Nothing easy about it.  USKG isn't setting it up for the LONGEST hitters. Its setup for what they consider the average kid distances not GOLFWRX averages. You sound foolish and uneducated. Go look crap up before just making it up here.  Again if it was so easy all the tours would be par or better but its no where near that. 

boys 10 play from 5200 yards… 😳

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We are new to this as well. My son will be in the 9yo division for worlds. He has a level 10 currently and I was told that has always been invited but it hasn’t yet this year. There are only 60 some kids registered at this point. Do you think 10 will receive an invite or does he need to get that 11? Not sure when they usually invite additional levels…

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MommyCaddy said:

We are new to this as well. My son will be in the 9yo division for worlds. He has a level 10 currently and I was told that has always been invited but it hasn’t yet this year. There are only 60 some kids registered at this point. Do you think 10 will receive an invite or does he need to get that 11? Not sure when they usually invite additional levels…

The 10s are very likely to get invites, but it may be as late as June when that happens. With only 60 registered, I would expect there to be a lot of additional invites.

@MommyCaddy Last year the boys 10 YO, Level 10 was sent out very late.  They actually gave everyone a heads up that it would be opening on a certain date & time and that there was a limited amount of spots.  Two friends were hitting refresh at the opening time, one got a spot and the other didn't.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 9:06 PM, jg9235 said:

My kid is 8 now and has shot well enough for a priority 10 which qualifies 8 year olds. He’ll turn 9 in June. The priority for 9 year olds is 11. Is it fair to assume that he’ll need to get to priority 11 to qualify for Pinehurst?

No. I strongly suspect that they are waiting until after Spring seasons conclude and will allow anyone who gets to Priority Status 11 in the Spring season a little time to register. After that, I would guess that at least Priority Level 10 will open for a number of the age groups. My recollection is that Priority Level 10 did not open for some age ranges until June or maybe later last year.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
18 hours ago, Medson said:

Screenshot 2023/02/08 status update for future reference. 427454067_Screenshot2023-02-16at11_28_54AM.png.2f71f031eee72415ed0208bc3c7d283c.png

I have no idea why anyone would pay $429.00 for three 9 hole rounds?  Isn't that the going rate for World's now?

• Thanks 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

3 hours ago, Movingday said:

Looks like $425 for 9 hole and $495 for 18 hole. Much better deal for the older kids lol

No way in hockey sticks am I paying $425.00 for 27 holes of golf on average course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heavy_hitter said:

No way in hockey sticks am I paying $425.00 for 27 holes of golf on average course.

What puzzles me with so many junior tournaments out there why would you bother spending this much for amounts to a modified mini golf course at those yardages.  

More parents of young golfers need to talk to parents of older kids and understand that in a few years you will be traveling every weekend so enjoy the time you can actually stay at home.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, tiger1873 said:

What puzzles me with so many junior tournaments out there why would you bother spending this much for amounts to a modified mini golf course at those yardages.  

More parents of young golfers need to talk to parents of older kids and understand that in a few years you will be traveling every weekend so enjoy the time you can actually stay at home.

Agree.  I don’t fully understand US kids golf.  We never did it and ended up just fine.  But I guess if it’s fun for the kids then it’s something to consider 

• Like 2

We never really did USK thank god.  At the beginning of 2020 it was the only game in town putting on tournaments for my daughter.

So we did a few.

Def a different crowd of parents as well.  Not that its bad just that you dont need to hang onto every shot of a 13 yo. 

No one was giving out Div 1 scholarships that day. 😉

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

We never really did USK thank god.  At the beginning of 2020 it was the only game in town putting on tournaments for my daughter.

So we did a few.

Def a different crowd of parents as well.  Not that its bad just that you dont need to hang onto every shot of a 13 yo. 

No one was giving out Div 1 scholarships that day. 😉

We all played them in the past. I think the height of popularity was just after the Netflix Documentary the short game.  Which was the height when my oldest started playing.   

I think US Kids  jumped the shark after the short game had a short live tv series that no one watched that was so bad it killed the network it was on. 

I wish I knew then what I know about junior golf. So many of us ask why we never see  most of the kids are who played so well back in the day.

Edited by tiger1873

I don't think the issue is with USK, but with parents expectations. USK has been a blast for us over the last year...traveled to multiple regional events and worlds and the kid had an amazing time. She had some ups and some downs, but we enjoyed the travel and experiences together. It was worth every penny.

But do I expect her results as an 8-9yo to matter for her future? Not at all. If parents think it does, thats on them, not on USK. We met some intense parents along the way and also made friends with parents and kids in a more similar mindset as our own.

To say USK is "not worth it" is to pass your expectations on why other people join and compete. USK has been 100% worth it for us because we got to travel to Palm Springs, Vegas, Arizona and Pinehurst to play golf and have fun...not because I was expecting a D1 scholarship out of it.

Even the costs...just because its not financially worth it for you, doesn't not mean others have to share that feeling. Personally I have no issue spending whatever on 'experiences' and USK Worlds 100% falls into that bucket. My kid watched Short Game and couldn't wait to go have that same experience...so the fairly significant spend on 2 weeks in Pinehurst was totally worth it for us - (Doesn't have to be for you) - but don't s*** on others spending habits and enjoyment. We stayed in the area and played Pine Needles, Tobacco Road and Southern Pines after Worlds together.

PS. Even the Short Game TV series was amazing! Don't even pretend you didn't love every minute of it...Cringey moments and all.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bizzle80 said:

I don't think the issue is with USK, but with parents expectations. USK has been a blast for us over the last year...traveled to multiple regional events and worlds and the kid had an amazing time. She had some ups and some downs, but we enjoyed the travel and experiences together. It was worth every penny.

But do I expect her results as an 8-9yo to matter for her future? Not at all. If parents think it does, thats on them, not on USK. We met some intense parents along the way and also made friends with parents and kids in a more similar mindset as our own.

To say USK is "not worth it" is to pass your expectations on why other people join and compete. USK has been 100% worth it for us because we got to travel to Palm Springs, Vegas, Arizona and Pinehurst to play golf and have fun...not because I was expecting a D1 scholarship out of it.

Even the costs...just because its not financially worth it for you, doesn't not mean others have to share that feeling. Personally I have no issue spending whatever on 'experiences' and USK Worlds 100% falls into that bucket. My kid watched Short Game and couldn't wait to go have that same experience...so the fairly significant spend on 2 weeks in Pinehurst was totally worth it for us - (Doesn't have to be for you) - but don't s*** on others spending habits and enjoyment. We stayed in the area and played Pine Needles, Tobacco Road and Southern Pines after Worlds together.

PS. Even the Short Game TV series was amazing! Don't even pretend you didn't love every minute of it...Cringey moments and all.

USKG was a blast.

6 minutes ago, Bizzle80 said:

Some people have a blast with US Kids.  If you do have at it , no one say don't do it. I think it is overpriced for what it is and you can get better competition for less money.   

US Kids also is not like it was  7 or 8 years ago for sure.  Local events were nuts and I didn't have to just watch that series my daughter played with a few those kids and jerk of parents during that taping.  I didn't enjoy there over the top behavior at all.

Most of us moved on and those kids well some got good results but lately a few not doing so well and I can say it pretty sad to see it unfold as they got older.

The only one with an ok story out that series is Pano.