2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Asheville, NC golf suggestions

possible trip planning
Hey!

Me and some golf buds are thinking about going to western NC for a week in about May. One has a time share in Lake Lure, NC. We need golf suggestions, we want some local knowledge and this is the place.

-For sure we'll play Apple Valley and Rumbling Bald, as I believe they are right on the timeshare property.

-There will also be a brief trip to the Sandhills, likely for No. 4 or No. 7, I want to combo that with Southen Pines CC, some of them want to play Tot Hill (they dont realize that that's a bit of a drive away...)

-Its "possible" that we can get on CC of Asheville.

-Others considered are: Maggie Valley, River Falls, Cleghorn Plantation, Reems Creek, Cattails GC, Red Fox CC, Linville GC

I'd really really like to find a way onto something like Wade Hampton, Grandfather G&CC, or Bright's Creek.

Locals... what are some good courses? We're looking to find some great "mountain courses" with interesting architecture, history, and prestige. We need some must plays and some value minded (yet quality) G-courses.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a thought, I live in Hickory, NC (about an hour away from Asheville) and called Wade Hampton and Grandfather Mountain CC and told them both that my Dad had always talked about playing there and I really wanted to find a way to get him on as a Father's Day present. I let them know that I was a scratch golfer and my dad was a 4 handicap and we always fill our divots and fix ball markers. I also had my club pro call to verify handicap and to help get us on.

We played both courses over Father's Day weekend.

Most of the time if you just ask, they will let you on.

Skip Maggie Valley not worth it, play Laurel Ridge in Waynesville right off I-40, played both in college and for mountain golf it doesn't get much better than Laurel. Willing to drive Cleghorn and Red Fox are great also, look at Links of Tryon(same area) if it's still open. Also, an hour drive in Conover(Hickory is Rock Barn) Champions tour course with 36 Holes, play the Trent Jones Jr. Course, you won't find much better in W. NC

Linville, Grandfather and Wade Hampton are hands down the best mountain golf courses in the Carolinas and probably all in the top 5 of mountain courses on the east coast.
The Sandhills are quite a drive from the mountains and even Linville isn't terribly close to Asheville. That being said, Linville is probably my favorite course on earth. I grew up playing there a lot in the summers and is a really special place in my opnion. I think it is a much better golf course than Grandfather and much more enjoyable. To play at Linville you have to be with a member, staying at the lodge, or renting a house though, and they are very strict about that. Like the previous guy said, the only real way to get on some of the private courses are to have your pro call (and hopefully he knows somebody there) and be very lucky. Linville, Wade Hampton and Grandfather have enough member play to keep them busy, and Linville with the lodge to where they won't let just anybody on, so good luck.

I grew up in Asheville, NC and my father is a member at the CC of Asheville. I agree with the last post--Linville and Grandfather are great. Wade Hampton is supposedly unreal. There is also the grove park inn country club. Links o' Tryon is where we used to play our conference tournaments--not a bad track at all. Buncombe County Municipal course is very laid back, people wearing jeans, etc.

I would stay away from Broadmoore near the airport. It is always sooo wet.

A really fun course is Mountain Air. It has a plane landing strip in the middle of the course and it is just a lot of fun. HIGHLY recommend that course--only 30 minutes from Asheville.

Hope that helps somewhat

• 3 weeks later...

Jon,

Grove Park Inn Course, by Donald Ross.

Google it.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Grove Park, definitely aware. Kinda pricey unfortunately, cool w/ me, but we've got to plan for 6 players...

Here is the 1st draft course list:

-day 1- Highland's Cove in Highlands

-day 2- Southern Pines CC or Tot Hill AND Pinehurst 4, 8, or 7.

-day 3- Cleghorn Plantation

-day 4- Rock Barn AND Verdict Ridge

-day 5- Apple Mountain OR Rumbling Bald (on the campus of the timeshare...)

-day 6- TBA Cheapo course OR AWESOME Country Club. We have 2 NCAA golfers going, they may be able to have their coaches call and arrange something at a top level CC.

Obviously it depends on availability of some courses, but we think we have a good mix of good value/reasonable driving distance/quality golf.

Basically I dont give a crap as long as I can hang out in Pinehurst for a day...

I bet it is cheaper than any of those Pinehurst courses....have fun and take lots of pics..

I live in Waynesville, right next to Asheville. I'm going to go ahead and tell you that you more than likely aren't going to be able to get on Wade Hampton and some of the other private courses. I would suggest Laurel Ridge as well for mountain golf. I live and have worked there and it's got some great views.

A lot of people who have played Pinehurst 2 and Pine Needles say Needles is a better course. I am playing the Sandhills in a few weeks and I will be playing Pine Needles because it was about 1/3 the cost of #2 and everyone I have talked to said it was their favorite Donald Ross. Tot Hill and T-road are very unusualy courses... most people either love them or hate them... I've never been, but will try them eventually, just not when I go in a few weeks. Southern Pines is suppoed to be great traditional type golf... haven't heard anything bad about it. I was planning on playing Southern Pines, but they will be aierating the greens.

I am relocating to Charlotte, and already have family in the area and have played some area courses. I assume at Rock Barn you are playing the Jackson Course? Also, heard Verdict Ridge is nice, will know for sure in a few weeks.

Grove Park, definitely aware. Kinda pricey unfortunately, cool w/ me, but we've got to plan for 6 players...

Here is the 1st draft course list:

-day 1- Highland's Cove in Highlands

-day 2- Southern Pines CC or Tot Hill AND Pinehurst 4, 8, or 7.

-day 3- Cleghorn Plantation

-day 4- Rock Barn AND Verdict Ridge

-day 5- Apple Mountain OR Rumbling Bald (on the campus of the timeshare...)

-day 6- TBA Cheapo course OR AWESOME Country Club. We have 2 NCAA golfers going, they may be able to have their coaches call and arrange something at a top level CC.

Obviously it depends on availability of some courses, but we think we have a good mix of good value/reasonable driving distance/quality golf.

Basically I dont give a crap as long as I can hang out in Pinehurst for a day...

Are you sure about day 2??? It's almost 200 miles from Lake Lure to Southern Pines, about a 4 hour drive each way.

And actually Highlands is a pretty long drive as well on mostly 2 lane winding mountain roads.

Having said that you are playing some nice courses.

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

Are you sure about day 2??? It's almost 200 miles from Lake Lure to Southern Pines, about a 4 hour drive each way

No Pinehurst = no trip! That was part of the deal, we head for the Sandhills, or nobody wants to go. Im still pushing to stay a night in the area and ditch some other course.

Hell, I'd play all Ross - all week, but some of the others want variation...

Play Pineneedles Jon, it is BETTER than No. 2....Wait you already got to play No. 2....

If I was single right now, I would be living in Southern Pines. I love that area.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Boone, NC close to Linville and Grandfather. As said earlier, both are very difficult to get on. It is possible to get on Grandfather if your head pro or club manager calls for you, but be prepared to pay! You might have a chance since you are coming in May, that's before the Floridiots come up for the summer. Linville is an awesome Donald Ross, I love that one. I grew up playing at Blowing Rock, a short but fun Donald Ross.

Quite a varied trip you have planned. Asheville to Pinehurst is a fur piece, as we say. Too many choices- I will vote for Mt. Mitchell as a course you can get on easily. Beautiful with only two bad holes, a tough chore on a mountain course. Grandfather is not nearby, but well worth the trip if you can get one. I played it once in the rain (it was free) and loved it. If you are coming down I40 from Asheville, stop in Morganton and play at Mimosa Hills CC-a Ross design reworked by Kris Spence and a fantastic course.

I will chime in that if you can play No 2 you must as everyone who is serious about golf should play it. Don't plan on shooting a good score, though. I would avoid No. 7-just my opinion.

Red Fox, Cleghorn- fine choices from what I am told.

You will have fun and can't make too bad a decision.

• 1 month later...

Grew up in Asheville, Live in Asheville, and I'm the Asst. Pro at Laurel Ridge in Waynesville...

Here is the Asheville area golf course run through...

Public:

1-Asheville Municipal: D. Ross design, front 9 is a birdie fest, back 9 is an absolute different world. Where I learned to play... awesome course for the money. I played there about a month ago and they were installing a new irrigation system, so I'm not sure if they are back in order, or if the course is still being worked on. 3 Minutes from downtown Asheville, 1.5 miles off of I-240

2-Broadmoore: Supposed "links style" course. If you like a completely flat boring constantly soggy golf course that smells like crap... literally... (cattle farm just to the left of #12... stinks up the whole place) and don't mind airplane turbine engines in the middle of your putting stroke... then this is the place for you. Its probably my least favorite place around. 15 minute drive on I-26, Asheville airport exit.

3-Etowah: Good mix of flat and hilly terrain. If you like a looooong course, tip it out... it's all you want from the black tees. 27 holes... the East course is a goat track. Stick to the North and West courses and you'll be fine. 30-35 minutes from downtown, I-26 Airport exit, past Broadmoore.

4-Furman University Course: Awesome awesome awesome! Its in S.C. down I-26, but its an amazing course. Word on the street is that they are going to undergo a major rennovation this summer, so you better make sure they are open if you want to try and play. 1 Hour from downtown Asheville, I-26 to Hwy 25 to S.C.

5-Reems Creek: To be competely honest... the first time I played Reems Creek, I hated it. Its now one of my favorite tracks around. Always green... always plush, but can get on the soggy side every now and then. Mountain target golf at its greatest (except here at Laurel Ridge). Great risk/reward holes, and some challenging holes also. Best to play with someone that knows the course to let you know of yardage to the corners of doglegs, elevation/yardage gaps... great mountain views... Highly reccomended... just be prepared to be frusterated. 30-40 minutes North of downtown... I-26/19-23 towards Weaverville.

Semi-Private:

1-Grove Park Inn: 'Nuff said. Creme de la creme of the area. Classic Ross layout, crowned greens-lightning fast, perfect fairways... I know they punched the greens about 2 1/2 weeks ago, so they might be in good shape by the time you get up this way. Last I heard, rates were $125.00 for 18... pretty steep, but the beverage cart girl has this heavy European accent and its quite nice! 3 minutes from downtown, I-240 Merrimon ave exit.

2-Laurel Ridge C.C.: Where I work for 60 hours a friggen week... You wanna talk about mountain golf? Look no further. I would describe the 'Ridge as Reems Creek on steroids. Huge elevation changes, target golf oriented, but you can pull out the driver alot more times than you can at Reems Creek. We punched our greens a little over a month ago and they are almost back to perfect. That being said... we are having a little bit of a problem with the Poa sneaking onto the greens and they can get a little bumpy later in the afternoon. Fairways are in great shape... the rough is thick, the birdies are there, but you gotta find them out. In season rates are $80.00... plus if you come, I might be able to hook it up a little cheaper and Ill give you directions to the best restaurant in town for when you get done. 35 minutes from downtown Asheville, I-40 West.

Private:

1: Asheville C.C.: Good track, good luck getting on. Can only get on the course as a members guest. They just re-did the fairways with bent, and they are in great shape!! The back 9 has some of my ABSOLUTE favorite golf holes around here. 10 minutes North of downtown, Merrimon Ave. Definatly worth the try.

2: Biltmore Forest C.C.: Worked there for 4 1/2-5 years. Classic Ross. Ben Hogan stated that #2 from the black tees was the most challenging par 4 on the East Coast. One par 5 on the front, beasts of par 4s and 3s the rest of the way. The bermuda fairways are just starting to turn as of last week. Good luck getting on. Better know someone. 10 minutes South from downtown on Hendersonville Rd.

Those are the ones worth playing.

~Adam.