2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Any Jacksonville residents here?

Dr.Zevia

Presumably you're talking about Jacksonville Florida, but if you're talking about Jacksonville Oregon, a town of 2,000 people I can definitely help you out with that one 😆

Edited by rooski
  • Haha 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

4 minutes ago, rooski said:

Presumably you're talking about Jacksonville Florida, but if you're talking about Jacksonville Oregon, a town of 2,000 people I can definitely help you out with that one 😆

Funny enough at one point I was looking at places in Medford.  I live in the bay area of CA, so I've been up through south Oregon on my way to Bend or Coos many times.

• Like 1

Holy crap man, if you're thinking of moving from the Bay Area to Jacksonville, you are in for a bit of culture shock my friend. 

Northern, central, and panhandle Florida are distinct and weird places. 

But, there's a lot of good golf and a lot of good people as well. Good luck mon frer!

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

6 minutes ago, jholz said:

Holy crap man, if you're thinking of moving from the Bay Area to Jacksonville, you are in for a bit of culture shock my friend. 

Northern, central, and panhandle Florida are distinct and weird places. 

But, there's a lot of good golf and a lot of good people as well. Good luck mon frer!

Yes I am quite aware of 'Florida Man.' The whole laid back CA thing is nice, but my money and I need out of this place.   I figure Jacksonville being more of a city and suburbs is more my vibe compared to the more rural places in FL.   

2 minutes ago, Dr.Zevia said:

Yes I am quite aware of 'Florida Man.' The whole laid back CA thing is nice, but my money and I need out of this place.   I figure Jacksonville being more of a city and suburbs is more my vibe compared to the more rural places in FL.   

Dude, I couldn't get out of SF quick enough. Don't get me wrong. 

And yes, a more metropolitan area - like Jacksonville - is going to be less weird than say, Florala or Defuniak Springs, but don't let the metro feel fool you. 

Lots and lots of weirdness down there. I don't know if it's the heat or the lizards or the meth, but damn, Florida is off the hook. 

or
or

2 minutes ago, jholz said:

Dude, I couldn't get out of SF quick enough. Don't get me wrong. 

And yes, a more metropolitan area - like Jacksonville - is going to be less weird than say, Florala or Defuniak Springs, but don't let the metro feel fool you. 

Lots and lots of weirdness down there. I don't know if it's the heat or the lizards or the meth, but damn, Florida is off the hook. 

Where did you make your way to from the bay area?  I got paired up with a random single a few months back, fellow happened to be from Florida and wow he was obnoxious.  Gave me a window into what it could be like there.  I figure if I can get into an area with an older retiree crowd and a quiet place, Jacksonville suburbs, St. Augustine or Ponde Vedre, I could handle it.

19 minutes ago, Dr.Zevia said:

Where did you make your way to from the bay area?  I got paired up with a random single a few months back, fellow happened to be from Florida and wow he was obnoxious.  Gave me a window into what it could be like there.  I figure if I can get into an area with an older retiree crowd and a quiet place, Jacksonville suburbs, St. Augustine or Ponde Vedre, I could handle it.

I'm originally from Denver. f***** up place. Moved to SF. Equally f*****. Back to Colorado. 

Then to Alabama. Teaches you something about tolerance and people. I learned how to "behave" in Alabama. But, equally f***** up. 

Now, in Baltimore. Totally f*****. But at least it's honest. 

I don't know man. If you live a quiet life and keep to yourself, you can live anywhere. If you are looking for deep personal connections and lasting relationships, you better come up with a good answer for the questions of: "so, where do you go to church?"

or
or

I live in the ‘burbs ~35 miles from SF. CA gets a lot of hate here and I typically ignore it because people are entitled to their opinions. Let’s make it clear that the SF Bay Area is NOT SF. SF, though visually stunning, is like it’s own state and I avoid it unless I am going to a Giants game. Is it expensive here? Absolutely. It’s by far the biggest gripe. But if you have the means, it really is one of the nicest areas in the Country. Weather (low humidity, year round golf, moderate rain) proximity to Napa, Carmel/Monterey, Tahoe, Yosemite… All a fairly short car ride. But yes, it’s expensive. But I feel like I get what I pay for. But hey, to each their own 😊

I live in the world golf village of St Augustine. We love it here and most people do love living here! 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

11 minutes ago, TiScape said:

I live in the ‘burbs ~35 miles from SF. CA gets a lot of hate here and I typically ignore it because people are entitled to their opinions. Let’s make it clear that the SF Bay Area is NOT SF. SF, though visually stunning, is like it’s own state and I avoid it unless I am going to a Giants game. Is it expensive here? Absolutely. It’s by far the biggest gripe. But if you have the means, it really is one of the nicest areas in the Country. Weather (low humidity, year round golf, moderate rain) proximity to Napa, Carmel/Monterey, Tahoe, Yosemite… All a fairly short car ride. But yes, it’s expensive. But I feel like I get what I pay for. But hey, to each their own 😊

If you have the means!

Just kidding TiS ; )

NoCal is dope. Got tons going for it.

There was this cool book I read years ago, novel, “Already Dead” by Denis Johnson. Wild tale, amazing writing and very descriptive of the beauty of NoCal. The redwoods, wine, weed, and some totally insane characters.

Oh, here’s a review. 

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/97/08/31/reviews/970831.31gate01.html

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TiScape said:

They lost me when the state was defrauded out of 30 billion in phony unemployment claims.   There are yearly huge fires and less and less water, especially for golf courses.  I also can't afford the real estate here, so the decision is made for me I suppose.

Edited by Dr.Zevia

2 hours ago, Dr.Zevia said:

How does that area differ from Jacksonville or the suburbs there?  Is St. Augustine more of a sleepy town with mainly retirees and seasonal tourists?

Certainly not sleepy. Growing like crazy but still has charm. Typical suburban area. I like the whole area. Just depends on your tastes. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

5 hours ago, Dr.Zevia said:

They lost me when the state was defrauded out of 30 billion in phony unemployment claims.   There are yearly huge fires and less and less water, especially for golf courses.  I also can't afford the real estate here, so the decision is made for me I suppose.

Well all the golf course I play are quite green, I’ve never not had water come out of the faucets or showers when I turn the knob and I’ve never had any fires by my house!… I’m obviously being a bit tongue in cheek. But whatever works for ya Dr. Z! What city do you live in here? 

8 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

If you have the means!

Just kidding TiS ; )

NoCal is dope. Got tons going for it.

There was this cool book I read years ago, novel, “Already Dead” by Denis Johnson. Wild tale, amazing writing and very descriptive of the beauty of NoCal. The Redwoods, wine, weed, and some totally insane characters.

Oh, here’s a review. 

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/books/97/08/31/reviews/970831.31gate01.html

The redwoods are truly awe inspiring. My girlfriend and I drove up to Mendocino (North) a few weeks back. The road off of the 101 that takes you there in lined with them. It’s like another world. It’s cool because if you head North up the coast it’s a totally different environment/vibe than heading South down the coast. Up North you get that cooler weather, rocky coast that you associate with, say Oregon. Head South (Santa Cruz, Monterey/Carmel, Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach) you get more of that sandy, sunny vibe people associate with CA. Can you tell I’m into it?! Haha 😆 

Edited by TiScape

6 hours ago, Dr.Zevia said:

There are yearly huge fires and less and less water, especially for golf courses. 

This is similarly the only problem with Southern Oregon. Hoping to get a bit less smoke this next summer.

I've got a deep well so generally the water problems don't worry me as much as they maybe should, but the golf courses do get pretty dead here over the summer

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

13 hours ago, TiScape said:

Well all the golf course I play are quite green, I’ve never not had water come out of the faucets or showers when I turn the knob and I’ve never had any fires by my house!… I’m obviously being a bit tongue in cheek. But whatever works for ya Dr. Z! What city do you live in here? 

I'm in the north bay, Marin City.  I'd like to buy a home here but don't have the million dollars it costs for a small home. (I'm not an actual Dr.). I've noticed a big drop off of the course conditions here with the drought, north bay all the way down to Monterey.  Yet the courses are still packed.

12 hours ago, TiScape said:

The redwoods are truly awe inspiring. My girlfriend and I drove up to Mendocino (North) a few weeks back. The road off of the 101 that takes you there in lined with them. It’s like another world. It’s cool because if you head North up the coast it’s a totally different environment/vibe than heading South down the coast. Up North you get that cooler weather, rocky coast that you associate with, say Oregon. Head South (Santa Cruz, Monterey/Carmel, Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach) you get more of that sandy, sunny vibe people associate with CA. Can you tell I’m into it?! Haha 😆 

CA is certainly beautiful and nothing beats the dramatic coastline.  However the high cost of living, taxes and politics of this state are tipping the scales for me.

44 minutes ago, Dr.Zevia said:

I'm in the north bay, Marin City.  I'd like to buy a home here but don't have the million dollars it costs for a small home. (I'm not an actual Dr.). I've noticed a big drop off of the course conditions here with the drought, north bay all the way down to Monterey.  Yet the courses are still packed.

Oh okay. I’m in the Danville/SR area. I’ll typically play anywhere within an hour of my house and haven’t run into the ‘non-green’ conditions. And I’m playing at mostly places that are under $70 a round. I played Blue Rocks the other day on a Saturday and we didn’t have a group behind us or in front of us! I was both surprised and pleased. 

Edited by TiScape

1 hour ago, Dr.Zevia said:

I put the taxes under the high cost of living. No doubt it’s expensive. Most of the nicer things in life are. As for the politics. I know all kinds of people here with varying opinions and affiliations. The city I live in is actually considered more conservative. It doesn’t keep me from living my best life. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Most in this area are highly educated, have great jobs and are great neighbors. Which makes for a good community. And if you have school aged kids, the the schools are all really highly rated. But I completely understand that if you are tired of renting and want a house, it’s not an easy place to do that. 
Plenty of great places to live in this country. Find what works best for you and good luck Dr. Z! 

Edited by TiScape

3 hours ago, TiScape said:

Oh okay. I’m in the Danville/SR area. I’ll typically play anywhere within an hour of my house and haven’t run into the ‘non-green’ conditions. And I’m playing at mostly places that are under $70 a round. I played Blue Rocks the other day on a Saturday and we didn’t have a group behind us or in front of us! I was both surprised and pleased. 

I usually play Bodega Harbor, or up in Santa Rosa, Napa.  I'll also do some two day trips to Monterey.  The prices really took a jump this past year.  What used to be $50 is now $65.  Tough to find that good deal on a weekend twilight round. 

43 minutes ago, Dr.Zevia said:

I usually play Bodega Harbor, or up in Santa Rosa, Napa.  I'll also do some two day trips to Monterey.  The prices really took a jump this past year.  What used to be $50 is now $65.  Tough to find that good deal on a weekend twilight round. 

Yeah, I typically use GolfNow and book a week ahead of time. I’m able to play during the week, so typically can find good deals on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday around 10/11am. Will get the “hot deals” for something in the $30s a lot. That’s another nice thing. There are so many decent courses within an hours drive the options are plentiful. Have you ever played Eagle Vines in American Canyon? Feels like you are in Napa, but with American Canyon prices 😊

Edited by TiScape

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

Yeah, I typically use GolfNow and book a week ahead of time. I’m able to play during the week, so typically can find good deals on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday around 10/11am. Will get the “hot deals” for something in the $30s a lot. That’s another nice thing. There are so many decent courses within an hours drive the options are plentiful. Have you ever played Eagle Vines in American Canyon? Feels like you are in Napa, but with American Canyon prices 😊

Been there many times, usually try and play Chardonnay, with EV as a back up.  Vitner's is a lot of fun too for a casual round.
My latest obsession is Northwoods up in Russian River.  It's a drive, but worth it.  

• Like 1