Moving to Atlanta and looking for a good members club to join

Sponge111

Excited about moving to Atlanta this month and looking for a golf club to join.

Would prefer a private club rather than semi private but open.  Country club would be nice but really it's all about the golf.

I am living in Old Fourth Ward and happy to travel up to 45 minutes or so to get to my club.

Budget is up to around 30k joining and $800 per month after,

Would love a place with a good members feel that I can use socially as well as play golf, also like good practice facilities.

Any suggestions most welcome.

If it's more about the golf then I'd look at Rivermont (N), Berkeley Hills (NE), or Pinetree (NW) first. Haven't seen the latest on initiations or dues, but I think they would still be in that ballpark.

Anything inside the perimeter is going to be outside that budget. Everything else is going to start getting outside that 45 minute mark. All three of those are inside of 45 minutes if traffic isn't bad. If you are trying to get out from O4W to any of them in the rush hour, odds are it will be a bit longer than 45 minutes. You could get a Peach Pass and that might save you some time in the express lanes (I'd get one anyways just to have).

There is plenty in this forum about all three of those clubs with probably some recent info. And I know there are members of all of those on here who could chime in on waiting lists and updated initiation/dues.

• Like 1

Berkeley is by far the easiest to get to from the options listed above and a great course.  I live way north OTP so clubs in my area are too far for you, but welcome to the area.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Unfortunately you are moving to the literal worst place in Atlanta for golf accessibility.  How old are you?  Not sure how flexible you are on initiation but if you are younger there may be an under 40 option at Druid Hills.  But my guess is that their waitlist is loooooong.

I would also look at Golf Club of Georgia.  About 45 min from downtown and has 2 courses and a nice new facility renovation.  @jpthreesticksis spot on with Rivermont.   Initiation is well, well below 30k and is full of really good players.  I think members come and go more than more expensive clubs but it has been there forever and is a great starting point.  All the money goes into the core course.  

Prepare yourself for an insane waitlist.  My guess is that based on your $$$ expectations, every club in the $10k+ initiation fee category is going to be multiple years.  Right now we have 100+ on the waitlist which is at least 5 years if the economy stays like is.  Just be prepared....  Read the thread in the main courses forum and you will see everyone is full full full.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sponge111 said:

Will be working in Smyrna

Depending on exactly where your office is and what your work hours/days of the week in the office, that could make Berkeley or Rivermont a little tougher to get to if you wanted to go after the office compared to Pinetree. If you have flexibility in your schedule to where you didn't have rush hour to deal with or if you didn't plan on going during the week, then I wouldn't worry about that as much.

Also, consider whether how long you plan on living in O4W or being in the area. As @david.c.w mentioned, you are looking at some long waiting lists at most, if not all clubs around. If you think you might end up moving in a few years towards Smyrna/Vinings/Marietta to be nearer to your work, you may not want to be sitting on the commute over to Berkeley. If you have flexibility and/or don't think you'll be at this job forever, one of the other two might be a better fit. 

Also, go try and play the courses when you get down here before committing to anything. The last thing you want to do is put down that money and not enjoy the course.

Finally, if/when they get the big 285 project going, it could be another 10 years of construction of various projects and that will be an impact on getting around town. Keep that in mind!

I live in Pittsburgh, which is in the West End and teach at Walton High School so I have pretty much the same commute as you. I do have the Forepass which is the City course membership which they offer two flavors: The forepass and the annual pass. The forepass is 30 dollars a month and you can walk all four of the city courses after 6 from March to November and after 4 from November to February. You do get discounted cart fees and tee times if you dont want to walk too. Plus you get unlimited range balls at Brown's Mill which is great. I personally have the Annual Pass that allows me to walk whenever during the week and after 12 on the weekends. The Annual  Pass is 875 dollars one time payment with no option for monthly installments but I play so much its like free golf. All three of the 18 hole courses are in pretty good shape, with Browns Mill and Chastain Park being the best out of the three. That could hold you over until you find something private. 

• Thanks 1

I’m a member at Pinetree in Kennesaw. If you’re a serious golfer, Pinetree is a great place. We have a collection of great golfers and a course laid out to frustrate the best of us. As golf goes, our claim to fame is our super slick and pure greens. They’re lightning year round and a very unique challenge. 

With that said, we are like everybody else right now and full. I believe we are still accepting a small number of new members, as we continue to work thru those non-equity members who joined pre-pandemic and still have not paid the full Initiation Fee. I could be wrong, but I’d be happy to help. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested and I’ll try to help where I can.

Enjoy the area!

Edited by ctfuzz21

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone, I think I will take the advice and join a semi private for a year whilst I work things out.  Although Berkeley looks very tempting but will feel cheated first year with greens being closed as they are replaced so may give it a miss for the year.  Eagles Landing looks a great deal to try for a year whilst I look around, any thoughts on that and how bad a journey it would be from Old Fourth Ward. 
also interested in thoughts on TPC? 
thanks

Colin  

Eagles Landing should be fairly easy to get to from downtown.  It is far, but I think the traffic on 75 really gets bad south of Eagles Landing.  Not sure of the deal you are talking about, but I would not consider it to be semi-private or something that would make sense to join for just a year.

TPC is going to be FAR.  Probably an hour each way from Old Fourth Ward.  

Man, it's a bit of a downer thinking about the affordable golf options for anyone living in Downtown ATL circa 2022. 

Depending on how you prefer to play, it might be wiser to use your golf budget for regularly-scheduled weekend trips. There are lots of places within a two-hour radius where you can "stay and play" on great courses. Reynolds Plantation, Barnsley Gardens, Callaway Gardens, Chateau Elan, McLemore, the RTJ Trail and the FL Panhandle would be a few to check out.  

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

@me05501 is right, public golf in the Atlanta area is sad.  Private clubs dominate everything.  However, there are private clubs in every price range, so overall pretty available (Covid waitlists notwithstanding).  There are some decent public tracks but they are so far out, and hard to get to.

I am lucky and happy to be a private club member.  I have actually only played 5 other Atlanta courses in the past 5+ years.  All of my local golf has been at my home club.  Fun course, fun guys, <10 min from my house.  Three of the courses were open during Covid when we were closed:  The Frog, Echelon, Legacy Lake Lanier.  The other 2 were rounds with friends:  Settindown Creek and AAC.

Back to OP, Old Fourth Ward is an amazing place to live and work and eat and have fun, just NOWHERE NEAR ANY DECENT GOLF, except Druid Hills and PDC.  Again, if you are younger and can bump your budget, check out Druid HIlls.  

Berkeley is scheduled for the greens project to begin in May. I can't speak for their membership process or waiting list, but if that's a club you are eyeing to join, you should put your name down now. 

The greens they will install will be playable relatively quickly. Granted, they will be rock hard for a year or so as they mature and settle in, but it's not like you will be not playing any golf out there in 2022. My guess is that they will be playing by late summer, if not a little sooner, if they get started by that May timeframe.

On 1/10/2022 at 10:56 AM, Sponge111 said:

Thanks David, is it a good course? 

Eagles Landing is a great course to play. There are three nines and all are a great challenge. There was a regular LPGA stop there for years until Chick fil a decided it didn’t want to sponsor anymore. I’ve been a member there for about 5 years. I’m actually about to join one of the high end clubs, but if you don’t want to go the Cherokee/CCC/Piedmont route, then Eagles Landing is a great option. 

I'm moving to West Roswell in about 2 weeks and starting to work on finding a club. I'm a lower-handicap player and most interested in a club where I can find a regular game. I'll be working from home and it's just my wife and I are so amenities aren't a big deal. I'm not much or a practice guy either - I just like to play.

In researching all of the Atlanta threads it seems like Rivermont might be a no-brainer for me, but I have read that getting there from where I'll be living can be an issue. I'll be about 10 miles away. I also have some minor concerns about how crowded Rivermont might be and if it will be tough to break into a regular group.

I'll be about 14 miles from Pinetree, which I think would also be the type of place I'm looking for based on reading through past threads here. I'm closest to Brookfield (about 2 1/2 miles) but the reviews seem pretty mixed about it. I'd also maybe be interested in White Columns. It's pretty close and I heard it's a good track but I'm not sure what kind of game you might be able to find out there.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or advice on those 4 clubs or any other suggestions, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Edited by ChrisSP

10 hours ago, ChrisSP said:

I'm moving to West Roswell in about 2 weeks and starting to work on finding a club. I'm a lower-handicap player and most interested in a club where I can find a regular game. I'll be working from home and it's just my wife and I are so amenities aren't a big deal. I'm not much or a practice guy either - I just like to play.

In researching all of the Atlanta threads it seems like Rivermont might be a no-brainer for me, but I have read that getting there from where I'll be living can be an issue. I'll be about 10 miles away. I also have some minor concerns about how crowded Rivermont might be and if it will be tough to break into a regular group.

I'll be about 14 miles from Pinetree, which I think would also be the type of place I'm looking for based on reading through past threads here. I'm closest to Brookfield (about 2 1/2 miles) but the reviews seem pretty mixed about it. I'd also maybe be interested in White Columns. It's pretty close and I heard it's a good track but I'm not sure what kind of game you might be able to find out there.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts or advice on those 4 clubs or any other suggestions, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I live close to where you are apparently, I am a few miles away from Brookfield as well.  I can give you the following info/ideas.

1. Rivermont is a great course, love the layout. The owner dumps a bunch of money into the course yearly.  I know nothing about the membership or it's current state of waitlist.  I have a friend that is a member, but have never asked much about the other members.  The practice area isn't much to look at.  

2. Brookfield, just no.  They have flooding issues(four or so holes sit in a flood plain) and the lake there is full of silt and needs to be cleaned so it won't flood.  There is a good membership there and some good players.  My club plays them once a year in a big club vs. club tournament.  Not much for a practice area, and the layout isn't great.

3.  White columns, just like Brookfield is a club corp property, but a great layout that i love.  I know very little about the membership, but it is more of a country club atmosphere.

4. Pine Tree.  I was a member here pre covid.  Had I known my company was going to a mainly work from home posture, I wouldn't have left.  Where I work it is much easier to get to Indian Hills after work.  It is a great club with great members.  There are a few former Georgia Golfers of the year that are members.  Srixon/Cleveland PGA Tour rep is a member.  The club champion in 2019 won the Georgia State Club Championship(where all the club champions from all Georgia clubs play in a tournament). This club has a ton of good golfers, when I left I believe the count was 10 with a plus handicap, and another 40 with handicaps under 3.  Not much of a country club, more of a Golf Club with a pool and a couple of tennis courts.   One of the best layouts in the area, and greens that consistently run at 11 all year, and up to 13 during big tourneys.  I believe there is a waiting list, and have heard rumors of redoing the greens in the next two years.

5. Indian Hills.  27 holes, great greens now, still a bit firm.  Tee shot golf course, greens stay pretty quick all year.  Gets a ton of play, has a waiting list that would take 6+ months to get through.  There are about 7 or 8 guys with plus handicaps.  There are another 30 or so under 4 as well.  A few groups that have regular games, but not easy to get into those groups.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

30 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I live close to where you are apparently, I am a few miles away from Brookfield as well.  I can give you the following info/ideas.

1. Rivermont is a great course, love the layout. The owner dumps a bunch of money into the course yearly.  I know nothing about the membership or it's current state of waitlist.  I have a friend that is a member, but have never asked much about the other members.  The practice area isn't much to look at.  

2. Brookfield, just no.  They have flooding issues(four or so holes sit in a flood plain) and the lake there is full of silt and needs to be cleaned so it won't flood.  There is a good membership there and some good players.  My club plays them once a year in a big club vs. club tournament.  Not much for a practice area, and the layout isn't great.

3.  White columns, just like Brookfield is a club corp property, but a great layout that i love.  I know very little about the membership, but it is more of a country club atmosphere.

4. Pine Tree.  I was a member here pre covid.  Had I known my company was going to a mainly work from home posture, I wouldn't have left.  Where I work it is much easier to get to Indian Hills after work.  It is a great club with great members.  There are a few former Georgia Golfers of the year that are members.  Srixon/Cleveland PGA Tour rep is a member.  The club champion in 2019 won the Georgia State Club Championship(where all the club champions from all Georgia clubs play in a tournament). This club has a ton of good golfers, when I left I believe the count was 10 with a plus handicap, and another 40 with handicaps under 3.  Not much of a country club, more of a Golf Club with a pool and a couple of tennis courts.   One of the best layouts in the area, and greens that consistently run at 11 all year, and up to 13 during big tourneys.  I believe there is a waiting list, and have heard rumors of redoing the greens in the next two years.

5. Indian Hills.  27 holes, great greens now, still a bit firm.  Tee shot golf course, greens stay pretty quick all year.  Gets a ton of play, has a waiting list that would take 6+ months to get through.  There are about 7 or 8 guys with plus handicaps.  There are another 30 or so under 4 as well.  A few groups that have regular games, but not easy to get into those groups.

Thanks for a great rundown - much appreciated! Also appreciate the info on Indian Hills - thought there would be a longer waitlist out there so that's good to know. Thanks again!

11 hours ago, ChrisSP said:

Thanks for a great rundown - much appreciated! Also appreciate the info on Indian Hills - thought there would be a longer waitlist out there so that's good to know. Thanks again!

No worries, I joined both Pinetree and Indian Hills blind, as in I didn't know anyone out there.  A great golf course helps, but what makes or breaks a country/golf club for me is the members and games and ability to get some games and the MGA folks, and both Pine Tree and Indian Hills are great on the these aspects.  Pine Tree is a much longer and I think better golf course, but it is a true second shot golf course, when the greens get slick you can hit it in places where you hope for a three putt and in the two years I was there I saw many many people putt a ball off of the green, and not bad putters either.  I believe there is a wait list currently but not sure how long of one.

Indian Hills is shorter, even from the tips I hit driver two or three times each nine, the greens are pretty firm, Seminole and Choctaw being the nines with greens in the ground the longest, Cherokee is still really firm.  Cart Paths on two of the nines are brand new and they will redo Cherokee in the next 12 months or so, brand new carts coming in June.  They have been raising the dues every year trying to push some people out for the last two years, which is a god send.  Only issue is no walking before 2 or 3 on the weekends, carts only.  Met a guy last week that got in after 6 months as a social member.  So do not quote me on the 6 months, but the latest person I know that was the length.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

21 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Membership is kind of bimodal distribution - you've got the old guys crowd that has been members for 20+ years and then over the past 5 years an influx of younger members and a lot of good players (something like 15+ members with plus handicaps currently). 

Waitlist is a nightmare and I'm not even sure the waitlist is even open right now. 

Practice area is not good, has always been a problem there. There is a decent practice green down by the #1 tee. 

Edited by ND2005
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 3:36 PM, ND2005 said:

Membership is kind of bimodal distribution - you've got the old guys crowd that has been members for 20+ years and then over the past 5 years an influx of younger members and a lot of good players (something like 15+ members with plus handicaps currently). 

Waitlist is a nightmare and I'm not even sure the waitlist is even open right now. 

Practice area is not good, has always been a problem there. There is a decent practice green down by the #1 tee. 

Thanks! Anyone have any thoughts on Atlanta National as an option?

On 1/22/2022 at 4:09 PM, ChrisSP said:

Thanks! Anyone have any thoughts on Atlanta National as an option?

It's a club Corp property.  I have a friend that has the White Columns, Manor, and ATL National club corp membership and I have played with him at all three a few times.  ATL National has a few funky holes(2 to 4 of them depending on who you ask), awesome clubhouse.  This is exactly a golf club, not a country club.  No pool or tennis courts, but they do have lodging on site for visiting guests which is pretty cool.

I have never seen it in bad shape, but the times I have played it wasn't in as good a shape as it was while it was still an equity club.  The fairways have always been great, I believe they are still zoysia.

• Like 1