Summer RTJ Golf Trip Planning - Need Suggestions

Abh159

Over the next month or so I'm going to plan the a golf trip for myself and three other family members. We've already chosen to do an RTJ site (it's an easy drive for everyone involved) so I'm not looking for suggestions outside of that, but I would like some help with picking which site we go to. I've played a number of courses on the trail (Ross Bridge, Oxmoor, Magnolia Grove, Highland Oaks), however I'm not opposed to going back to one of those. I am also up for hearing about the ones I've never been to seeing as how I have no experience with them.

Dates will be sometime early summer (mid may - mid June), and we would probably do 3 days / 2 nights with 18 holes each day (54 total). Specific dates will be determined based on the maintenance/aerification schedules at whichever site we choose.

So far, these are my thoughts / top 3. Let me know what else I should consider!

Capital Hill - Three 18 hole courses so seems like an easy choice

Ross Bridge / Oxmoor Valley - Three 18 hole courses between the two sites, but I've always thought RB was pricey for what it is

Grand National - Just the two 18 hole courses so would probably have to replay one or find a third course within somewhat close proximity

FYI there's no interest in either Silver Lakes or Cambrian Ridge since neither is really close to anything noteworthy and we would want at the very least some decent places to eat/drink in the evenings.

• 2 weeks later...

Ross Bridge/Oxmoor would be appealing if your group are all low handicappers, otherwise those courses can make for a very long day. You could mix it up with another greater Birmingham course like Farm Links, Limestone Springs or Timberline. 

Capital Hill is the obvious choice for three quality courses on the same property. I think the Senator is disappointing. It's supposed to be "links style" but the only links elements are tall native grasses and lots and lots of blind shots. The Judge is epic. Haven't played the Legislator. 

I've heard raves about Grand National but haven't been there. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I'm a member at Oxmoor and play Ross Bridge a few times a year.  I agree with @me05501, the two Oxmoor courses are hard in different ways and Ross Bridge's length makes those 3 better suited for lower handicap players.  I've watched many trip groups reduced to tears and club throwing by Oxmoor's Ridge course and it only plays 6300 +/- from the Orange Tees.  The rough and penalty areas are unforgiving.  The Valley course just reopened, and takes some of the Ridge's penalties and adds length.  

Capitol Hill has 3 distinct courses.  The Senator is probably my favorite on the trail.  It is "links" design and by carefully choosing the tees, can be enjoyable for all involved.  

Grand National is also great.  The Links course is stunning, but #18 kicks my butt every time I play it.  

Highland Oaks in Dothan is a beautiful course, but also not for the faint of heart.  It is (3) 9 hole courses that can be paired for a round.  Marshwood is the hardest of the 3 in my opinion.

Have fun.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, me05501 said:

You could mix it up with another greater Birmingham course like Farm Links, Limestone Springs or Timberline. 

Farm Links is an excellent course.  Fairly easy course, but a great day on a beautiful property.  Picture below is of #5 at Farm Links.  Something like 180' vertical drop from tee to green.

IMG_0069.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

I'm a member at Oxmoor and play Ross Bridge a few times a year.  I agree with @me05501, the two Oxmoor courses are hard in different ways and Ross Bridge's length makes those 3 better suited for lower handicap players.  I've watched many trip groups reduced to tears and club throwing by Oxmoor's Ridge course and it only plays 6300 +/- from the Orange Tees.  The rough and penalty areas are unforgiving.  The Valley course just reopened, and takes some of the Ridge's penalties and adds length.  

It's been a long time since I played either but IIRC tears were not out of the question.

On those courses, the places you don't want to hit the ball outnumber the places you do. 

My standard advice to anyone going to the Trail is to swallow your ego and move up at least one set of tees from what you'd normally select. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 3:20 PM, me05501 said:

It's been a long time since I played either but IIRC tears were not out of the question.

On those courses, the places you don't want to hit the ball outnumber the places you do. 

My standard advice to anyone going to the Trail is to swallow your ego and move up at least one set of tees from what you'd normally select. 

Good advice (but I'm stubborn and I've yet to follow it.) The trail courses are all challenging. It was amazing to see 2nd tier PGA pros that didn't play the British Open absolutely tear up the Lake course at Grand National (the old Barbasol venue).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spicoli said:

Good advice (but I'm stubborn and I've yet to follow it.) The trail courses are all challenging. It was amazing to see 2nd tier PGA pros that didn't play the British Open absolutely tear up the Lake course at Grand National (the old Barbasol venue).

It’s definitely good to have a lot of people out there to help locate a wayward tee shot. 

I remember losing a lot of shots just a few yards off the fairway at The Senator. A lot of those holes were lined with tall thick native grasses. If a ball goes in that stuff it’s very hard to find. 

• Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 months later...

As stated earlier, the 3 loops at Capital Hill are all unique from one another and quite excellent.

Grand National and the Birmingham area courses are also excellent, and probably the better options for food and evening entertainment than the Montgomery area.

• Like 2

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

On 4/12/2022 at 3:37 PM, bcflyguy1 said:

As stated earlier, the 3 loops at Capital Hill are all unique from one another and quite excellent.

Grand National and the Birmingham area courses are also excellent, and probably the better options for food and evening entertainment than the Montgomery area.

I'll be at Grand National in 12 days.  What are some good dinner spots?  We are starting out in Capitol Hill then will be at Grand National.  Dinner suggestions for both places would be greatly appreciated. 

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

• 3 months later...
On 1/3/2022 at 1:49 PM, me05501 said:

Ross Bridge/Oxmoor would be appealing if your group are all low handicappers, otherwise those courses can make for a very long day. You could mix it up with another greater Birmingham course like Farm Links, Limestone Springs or Timberline. 

Capital Hill is the obvious choice for three quality courses on the same property. I think the Senator is disappointing. It's supposed to be "links style" but the only links elements are tall native grasses and lots and lots of blind shots. The Judge is epic. Haven't played the Legislator. 

I've heard raves about Grand National but haven't been there. 

The Judge is one of my favorite courses in Alabama! Spectacular views. 

11 minutes ago, blangst1 said:

The Hound in Auburn. Zazu Gastropub in Opelika. 

Acre and Bow & Arrow are good choices as well in Auburn.

Capitol Hill is out in Prattville with mostly chains near it.  Downtown Montgomery has a few good places as well as the AU side of Montgomery (Taylor Rd/ Vaughn Road area)

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread for any additional intel/suggestions.  We are looking at a trip mid October thru early November and considering several "package trips" such as this one RTJ Trail Golf Vacation Packages | Robert Trent Jones Trail Tour (premiergolf.com).  The other option is a DIY itinerary flying into Birmingham, driving to Auburn, then onto Montgomery.  Thinking 7-8 nights and 6 rounds.  

The whole RTJ Trail concept is so cool and I've heard so many good things about it.  It's been on my bucket list for some time.

14 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Bumping this thread for any additional intel/suggestions.  We are looking at a trip mid October thru early November and considering several "package trips" such as this one RTJ Trail Golf Vacation Packages | Robert Trent Jones Trail Tour (premiergolf.com).  The other option is a DIY itinerary flying into Birmingham, driving to Auburn, then onto Montgomery.  Thinking 7-8 nights and 6 rounds.  

The whole RTJ Trail concept is so cool and I've heard so many good things about it.  It's been on my bucket list for some time.

For a trip that extensive I think hiring a tour operator is your best bet. I'd guess their relationships can result in much better tee times than you'll be able to get on a DIY basis. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 8/18/2023 at 7:52 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I agree with what @me05501 has said regarding a trip operator.  I know travel agents have sort of withered but this might be a case where it will be nice to have all of the arrangements handled ahead of time by someone else.  Alabama is a pretty sizeable state top to bottom.  You have a decent amount of driving mixed in there.

If you are not dead-set on what order you play the courses in you are better off logistically to go from BHam to Mont then to Auburn.  You can utilize I-65 between Bhma and Mont and save yourself nearly an hour of driving versus 280.

Another fun course to play while in the south Birmingham area is Ballantrae in Pelham.  Going down 65 out of Bham takes you that direction.  If you played both courses at Oxmoor, Ross Bridge and Ballantrae that is 72 holes of golf. 

I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency/Wynnfree in BHam and recommend it.  Good hotel restaurant and bar, not far from interstate nor the courses.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, renobleiii said:

We did Capitol Hill for our annual golf trip in May. Everyone loved it, except no one wants to play Senator again. 

Can see that; visually blah but still manages to be difficult.

WITB Link

On 9/20/2023 at 8:40 PM, renobleiii said:

We did Capitol Hill for our annual golf trip in May. Everyone loved it, except no one wants to play Senator again. 

I’m a local to Capitol Hill and this take surprised me. I’ve always figured it to be a very unique course and fun course, unlike just about anything else in the area. Any particular things y’all didn’t like about it?

Personal takes on all three courses are that the Judge is impressive, but a bit excessively punishing, Legislator is good, but a somewhat bland, and the Senator is a good mix.

13 hours ago, AU_Matt said:

I’m a local to Capitol Hill and this take surprised me. I’ve always figured it to be a very unique course and fun course, unlike just about anything else in the area. Any particular things y’all didn’t like about it?

Personal takes on all three courses are that the Judge is impressive, but a bit excessively punishing, Legislator is good, but a somewhat bland, and the Senator is a good mix.

Everyone in our group except the scratch golfer hated senator for the blind shots and how you couldn’t find your ball in the rough. Felt very gimmicky. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, renobleiii said:

Everyone in our group except the scratch golfer hated senator for the blind shots and how you couldn’t find your ball in the rough. Felt very gimmicky. 

I agree with this take. It's described as a "links" course which it is most definitely not. It plays like a course that was crammed into a spot that didn't have space for it. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 1 month later...

Following up asking for RTJ Trail recommendations. Will be in Birmingham the last week of May 2024 and playing as a single. 66yo, 8/9 hdcp. Reading previous comments sounds like RB & Oxmoor may be less than ideal for my skills. I prefer courses that are picturesque and at least moderately challenging.  I’ve looked at the courses online but hard to tell what they’re actually like. Please let me know your preferences/thoughts. TIA

19 hours ago, MVD said:

Following up asking for RTJ Trail recommendations. Will be in Birmingham the last week of May 2024 and playing as a single. 66yo, 8/9 hdcp. Reading previous comments sounds like RB & Oxmoor may be less than ideal for my skills. I prefer courses that are picturesque and at least moderately challenging.  I’ve looked at the courses online but hard to tell what they’re actually like. Please let me know your preferences/thoughts. TIA

RB and Oxmoor will be fine for you, but I'd suggest playing both from perhaps one tee box forward than you might normally choose if you haven't played them before. That should be enough to keep the experience fun.

WITB Link

Debating with my group right now: Capitol Hill or Grand National for our 2024 trip. Would love opinions from those here, which site has the better courses? Also, is it worth the 1.5hr drive to play Pursell?

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser 

Somewhat depends on when you go, in my opinion between the two.  If you are going in the fall, you have to be cognizant of the college football schedule in Auburn.  That could be a plus or minus - depending on your group.

To me, the golf is much better at Grand National, but you are a good 15-20 from Auburn/Opelika Proper where the selection of  good restaurants/bars are located.  Easy Uber.  You only have the 2 courses and a short course, but would play the lake multiple times.

Capitol Hill has 3 courses.  The Judge is one you should play just to say you played.  Some good views but lots of tricked up holes for no good reason.  The Senator is a links style course with a lot of blind tee shots and not that fun.  The Legislator is good but nothing special.  Its facility is in Prattville where there are all of the chain restaurants you want.  There are some good local spots in Montgomery, but again - Uber.

Pursell is worth playing, in my opinion.  It is not the most difficult or best course, but it has a fun layout, great scenery and a good story.

My suggestion, for what its worth would be to mix it up.  If you are flying into ATL, go ahead and drive to Montgomery.  Play the judge then go to Pursell and enjoy a cabin/dinner.  Play Farmlinks then head to Auburn.  Play the Grand National Offerings, enjoy one of the better college towns in America and then drive back to ATL.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

Somewhat depends on when you go, in my opinion between the two.  If you are going in the fall, you have to be cognizant of the college football schedule in Auburn.  That could be a plus or minus - depending on your group.

To me, the golf is much better at Grand National, but you are a good 15-20 from Auburn/Opelika Proper where the selection of  good restaurants/bars are located.  Easy Uber.  You only have the 2 courses and a short course, but would play the lake multiple times.

Capitol Hill has 3 courses.  The Judge is one you should play just to say you played.  Some good views but lots of tricked up holes for no good reason.  The Senator is a links style course with a lot of blind tee shots and not that fun.  The Legislator is good but nothing special.  Its facility is in Prattville where there are all of the chain restaurants you want.  There are some good local spots in Montgomery, but again - Uber.

Pursell is worth playing, in my opinion.  It is not the most difficult or best course, but it has a fun layout, great scenery and a good story.

My suggestion, for what its worth would be to mix it up.  If you are flying into ATL, go ahead and drive to Montgomery.  Play the judge then go to Pursell and enjoy a cabin/dinner.  Play Farmlinks then head to Auburn.  Play the Grand National Offerings, enjoy one of the better college towns in America and then drive back to ATL.

Agree on all points though I probably wouldn't want to do that much driving over a short golf trip. 

Just pick a weekend when Auburn has an away game and stay close to Grand National. 

To quote the late great David Foster Wallace, the Prattville site is "a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again." The Judge is dramatic in good and bad ways. The Senator is a boring slog. The Legislator could be any golf course anywhere. 

• Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 11/10/2023 at 8:37 AM, j.b.newton said:

The Good: Personally, I think Pursell is what "resort/travel" golf should be. Interesting, varied holes that are not incredibly penal or overly challenging. If you are a + handicap then, sure, go play some mega tight, tricked up golf course. If you have a group with varied handicaps and everyone wants to have a good time and hit driver a lot....Pursell fits that bill perfectly. I would play Pursell everyday of the week over something like PGA National but maybe I am just a coward. 

The Bad: Still just the one course out there. As mentioned above though, it is a really good/fun course to me. Better than having 4 mediocre courses in my opinion like all the "other" courses at Kiawah, for example (Turtle, Cougar, Osprey all STINK). 

The ugly: Pursell has some pretty big pricing swings in the last year and I think I saw it topping out at $290 which is....a lot. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 11/10/2023 at 8:44 AM, me05501 said:

To quote the late great David Foster Wallace, the Prattville site is "a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again." The Judge is dramatic in good and bad ways. The Senator is a boring slog. The Legislator could be any golf course anywhere. 

I actually like the Legislator the best of the 3, but that in no way falsifies your assessment of it. Says more about the faults of the other 2.

The Judge would be ideal for an aspiring player looking for a home course that is very demanding on all skills. If the Judge was your home track, you'd either improve or quit in frustration. However, that's almost none of Capitol Hill's clientele. It's difficult to the point of punishing and not fun when fun is what most are primarily after.

The Senator isn't a bad golf course, per se, but it is little more than a 4 hour journey through a green canyon with all too few visually distinctive landmarks. Instantly forgettable.

• Like 1

WITB Link

1 hour ago, bcflyguy1 said:

The Senator isn't a bad golf course, per se, but it is little more than a 4 hour journey through a green canyon with all too few visually distinctive landmarks. Instantly forgettable.

Exactly! It's like playing through a tunnel with no landmarks visible beyond the phony hills that line every fairway. I guess that's meant to support the illusion that it's a links course located in the middle of Alabama. Doesn't work for me. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS