2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Journey to Scratch

dvq9654

Update - I had my L5/S1 microdiscectomy in January. Surgery went well and wasn’t all that bad. Modern medicine is impressive. 

I’ve been in a pretty rigorous PT program for the past 5 months, and I’m arguably stronger than ever. 

My surgeon and PT gave me the go ahead to start hitting balls slowly and easily a couple weeks ago. I have two range sessions under my belt. Sessions have felt good, and it’s great to be back at it. My swing feels like second nature and although it’s degraded a bit on camera, it’s not far off. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit paranoid, but progress is all I can ask for. 

I’m going to spend the next month or two at ~50% working on engraining solid moves. From there I’ll slowly work back into the game, likely from the reds tees and moving back. 

With this approach, I’m confident I’ll come back close to what I was, and maybe even on a better path given deliberate practice (which has always been the key to improvement) and elevated fitness. 

I’ll keep updating as I progress. 

Edited by dvq9654
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Played my first 9 think morning. Played from the front tees so I could swing “50%”. Was good to get back out. 

I hit some pretty awful shots, but came away 2 over for 9, which I can’t complain about. My short game was awesome, so I guess it didn’t care about the 9 months off…

I’m gonna stick with 9 holes from front tees for a bit then move back to white once I’m regularly hitting it solid off the tee, and then back again as I get more comfortable / less skiddish 

Good to cross off a big milestone and hopeful the path back continues to be a success 

On 8/12/2023 at 2:54 PM, dvq9654 said:

Played my first 9 think morning. Played from the front tees so I could swing “50%”. Was good to get back out. 

I hit some pretty awful shots, but came away 2 over for 9, which I can’t complain about. My short game was awesome, so I guess it didn’t care about the 9 months off…

I’m gonna stick with 9 holes from front tees for a bit then move back to white once I’m regularly hitting it solid off the tee, and then back again as I get more comfortable / less skiddish 

Good to cross off a big milestone and hopeful the path back continues to be a success 

glad to see you are back at it!

im starting a similar journey but am currently a 4-5 depending on the day. 

thanks for posting your journey. 

Just found your thread.  Exceptional read and happy to hear your trials and tribulations.  I started Project 2025 this week as I move towards age 50 with a goal to see how good I can get.  Currently playing off a soft low single digit handicap as I have been playing some easy courses.  Glad to hear you are back from injury.

Going back to read the entire thread now.  Thanks for posting and keep it up!

Moss

Chrome Soft X LS

Driver, 5 and 7 wood = Ping G425

Irons = Titleist AP2 716 in 4-PW

Wedges = Ping Glide 3.0 in 50, 54 and 58

Putter = Evnroll ER2

On 1/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, MelloYello said:

To me, that would not seem short on the kind of regular courses normal people play. 

105 mph is to 6,500-yds what 120 mph is to 7,400. 

When I see guys who are swinging 115+ mph on courses of reasonable length they are more often than not struggling to fit those distances (and those misses) in where the course isn't really designed for it. 

I think ~110 mph is precisely where you want to be unless you plan to get comfortable taking some "silly" lines. Don't get me wrong, I've seen guys do it but it results in a lot of doubles and triples, too. 

I played with an aspiring Pro like that a couple weeks ago. Granted he shot 72 but he erased his 6-7 birdies with multiple doubles and triples. It's a weird thing to watch. Not sure that's how you want to play unless you plan on competing over on those 7,400-yd courses. If you're going to eventually tee it up on those super-long courses, you will need that extra gear for sure. 

With drives reaching out to the high 200's or 300 regularly do you see any need to do speed training?  Coming up on 50 I would seem to be tempting fate with injuries and would be better off focusing on other aspects.  Thoughts?

Moss

Chrome Soft X LS

Putter = Evnroll ER2

On 2/6/2022 at 9:08 PM, dvq9654 said:

Played again today. Was originally planning on playing 9 early but switched to an afternoon tee time knowing I wouldn't finish 18. Hoped to get in more holes than I did, but it was like pulling teeth pace-wise on the local muni. I got in ~13 holes, the last 4 of which were jumbled as I played till darkness on an empty course and tried to work my way back to my car. Round was prefaced by a range session with one focal point - more connected takeaway + more wrist set (more on this below) 

As an aside - I will never understand how some people can play so slowly. The group in front of me today was literally chatting on the tee boxes and in the fairway, all while we were clearly waiting for them. They had no sense of etiquette and were in their own little world (so much so the single with them broke ahead at hole 3; this is an entirely different issue). Couple this with them not being particularly good at golf and it was a grind. Even after a marshal came due to a call from the guys behind us (I'm guessing) they did not speed up one bit. It's downright rude and incredibly inconsiderate to play like this. Play faster, please

Ok, rant over. Round summary below (only including the 9, since didn't play enough to record 18)

Course Par: 37

Yards: 3566

Course Rating: 36.6

Slope: 120 

Score: 37

Fairways: 2/7 

Greens: 7/9 

Putts: 16

Birdies, Pars, etc.: 9 pars

Up and Downs within ~30 yards: 1/2

Strokes Gained (Per Arccos): Overall (+1.6), Driving (+0.5), Approach (+1.1), Short (+0.0), Putting (+0.0)

Positives

Wrist Set: I have always had trouble setting my wrist. I think it goes back to when I broke my wrist and tried to rush back, so developed a habit of minimal wrist set. I've been practicing this and, as noted above, made this a focus in my pre-round range session. I managed to take it to the course today and the results were great. Better contact, straighter flight, you name it. It's particularly beneficial with my driver. Although I missed a lot of fairways, the fairways I missed were generally small misses. My good drivers were great and in spots I've rarely been in before distance-wise (e.g., greenside bunker just short of a 330 yard par 4), so going to continue to focus on wrist set in my range sessions

Ball Striking: Hit some pure irons throughout the bag (an extension of the above). Hit a PW to 6 feet, a 50 to ~10 feet, a 6 iron from 200 to ~15 feet (wind aided). Generally, just solid contact with minimal curvature. Would love to keep this up

Undecided

Putting: I didn't make anything today, but I felt like I hit good putts. Greens were bumpy as can be and slow, so even though I hit putts where I aimed, they didn't go in. That said, probably could have read a few lines better, which I may need to work on

Overall, I played solid making par on all 13 holes I played (with some goofing around on the last 4 holes as darkness approach / I was speeding along alone). I need to make more birdies to reach my goal, but I can't help but echo my earlier thoughts - if I continue to hit the ball as I am right now, good things will come

Your rant is excatly why I am considering joining a club next year.  The pace of play, consideration for others and availability of tee times is driving me crazy.  I almost always end up playing with someone who can barely drive it to the fairway but insists on playing the blue or black tees.  Sigh...

Moss

Chrome Soft X LS

Putter = Evnroll ER2

14 hours ago, Moss Hopper said:

With drives reaching out to the high 200's or 300 regularly do you see any need to do speed training?  Coming up on 50 I would seem to be tempting fate with injuries and would be better off focusing on other aspects.  Thoughts?

I'm in my late-30s so I may not be the one to ask. I swing about 105 and that's plenty for what I need on the courses I play in this area that generally reach about 6,500 from my tees. I would LOVE to play flatter courses and get run as I'm sure I'd get more drives into the 280-300 range.

Here, I carry it 260 and the ball basically slams into an upslope and stops. And in other cases, hitting driver is just dangerous and requires a big risk, carrying corners and stuff.

That said, I think speed training is A LOT more complicated than most people realize. It involves understanding your swing and whether your body and your swing mechanics will allow you to swing faster. Swinging faster usually means clearing the hips faster and in a lot of older guys that's just a physical limitation. I think a lot of those guys might be better served learning to increase their AoA and hit it higher so they carried it further. 

Not to mention, look at the LPGA. Those ladies are shooting in the 60s without prodigious distance. I'd rather a great swing that lacks a bit of length than a slight boost of speed on a crappy foundation, you know? 

Speed as a replacement for work is never the answer. At best, speed is icing on the cake but I seriously doubt it's the optimal thing for guys to work on. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

10 hours ago, MelloYello said:

I'm in my late-30s so I may not be the one to ask. I swing about 105 and that's plenty for what I need on the courses I play in this area that generally reach about 6,500 from my tees. I would LOVE to play flatter courses and get run as I'm sure I'd get more drives into the 280-300 range.

Here, I carry it 260 and the ball basically slams into an upslope and stops. And in other cases, hitting driver is just dangerous and requires a big risk, carrying corners and stuff.

That said, I think speed training is A LOT more complicated than most people realize. It involves understanding your swing and whether your body and your swing mechanics will allow you to swing faster. Swinging faster usually means clearing the hips faster and in a lot of older guys that's just a physical limitation. I think a lot of those guys might be better served learning to increase their AoA and hit it higher so they carried it further. 

Not to mention, look at the LPGA. Those ladies are shooting in the 60s without prodigious distance. I'd rather a great swing that lacks a bit of length than a slight boost of speed on a crappy foundation, you know? 

Speed as a replacement for work is never the answer. At best, speed is icing on the cake but I seriously doubt it's the optimal thing for guys to work on. 

Happened to get a swing eval at GolfTec today and I do not believe distance is the issue holding me back.  He said I have a two way miss and with some alignment work we can clean this up, which in turn means more GIR which then focuses on putting.  At close to 36 putts per round I will move in this direction and let weight training, cardio and stretching look after the distance.  Like you said, I need to maintain some semblance of a controllable swing and ball flight.  Cheers

Moss

Chrome Soft X LS

Putter = Evnroll ER2

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve now played 4 9-hole rounds since being back. Getting more and more comfortable each round, but still very much swinging easy. I will say playing short course and swinging easy is not nearly as fun as playing “real” golf (sorry Play it Forward…), as it’s just too easy. That said, I know it’s the right thing to do for at least a bit longer so I’m gonna stick with it and hopefully continue to knock off some rust in the process. 

I played yesterday, which was my best round to date. If my short game was a little sharper, especially my putter, it could have easily been 2-3 under on the 9. 

Score: 35

Fairways: 5/7

Greens: 6/9

Putts: 15

Birdies, Pars, etc.: 2 birdies, 2 bogies, 5 pars 

Up and Downs within ~50 yards: 2/4

Strokes Gained (Per Arccos): Overall (-0.4), Driving (-0.4), Approach (+0.2), Short (-0.2), Putting (0.0)

Some observations:

Good: I hit some absolute darts from 115-130 with “baby” PW and 9 iron. PW to 2 feet, 9 iron to 6 feet, and other PW that was all over the flag but inexplicably took a huge bounce away from flag (on what are usually soft, receptive greens). This has always been the strength of my game, but range sessions focused on slower, controlled swings with input from Monte continue to sharpen this part of my game 

Good: It’s apparently very easy to hit a driver straight when you swing half speed. I’ve developed a consistent fade off the tee, which as a long-time hooker is a thing of beauty. I need to continue on making this swing and slowly speed up and I think the results will be an improvement

Meh: Wedges are a little sloppy overall, whether it’s from 80 yards or around the green. Hit some nice shots but also some head scratchers. Rust most likely, but as I alluded to above, if I can improve these a bit my scoring will improve 

Meh: I guess Arccos says otherwise, but my putting wasn’t great. Lots of burned edges and felt like I was continually missing right. Rust, again, but annoying nonetheless 

Another thing I’ve been surprised by is the strokes gained off the tee. I expected it to be far worse given how short I’m hitting it (220-230) with these weak swings. I guess the accuracy somewhat offsets the distance. 

Lastly, and probably most importantly, my back feels great after each round. I went for a hike / run right after the round yesterday and there is no tightness, pain or anything today. Huge win on that front. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dvq9654 said:

I’ve now played 4 9-hole rounds since being back. Getting more and more comfortable each round, but still very much swinging easy. I will say playing short course and swinging easy is not nearly as fun as playing “real” golf (sorry Play it Forward…), as it’s just too easy. That said, I know it’s the right thing to do for at least a bit longer so I’m gonna stick with it and hopefully continue to knock off some rust in the process. 

I played yesterday, which was my best round to date. If my short game was a little sharper, especially my putter, it could have easily been 2-3 under on the 9. 

Score: 35

Fairways: 5/7

Greens: 6/9

Putts: 15

Birdies, Pars, etc.: 2 birdies, 2 bogies, 5 pars 

Strokes Gained (Per Arccos): Overall (-0.4), Driving (-0.4), Approach (+0.2), Short (-0.2), Putting (0.0)

Some observations:

Good: I hit some absolute darts from 115-130 with “baby” PW and 9 iron. PW to 2 feet, 9 iron to 6 feet, and other PW that was all over the flag but inexplicably took a huge bounce away from flag (on what are usually soft, receptive greens). This has always been the strength of my game, but range sessions focused on slower, controlled swings with input from Monte continue to sharpen this part of my game 

Good: It’s apparently very easy to hit a driver straight when you swing half speed. I’ve developed a consistent fade off the tee, which as a long-time hooker is a thing of beauty. I need to continue on making this swing and slowly speed up and I think the results will be an improvement

Meh: Wedges are a little sloppy overall, whether it’s from 80 yards or around the green. Hit some nice shots but also some head scratchers. Rust most likely, but as I alluded to above, if I can improve these a bit my scoring will improve 

Meh: I guess Arccos says otherwise, but my putting wasn’t great. Lots of burned edges and felt like I was continually missing right. Rust, again, but annoying nonetheless 

Another thing I’ve been surprised by is the strokes gained off the tee. I expected it to be far worse given how short I’m hitting it (220-230) with these weak swings. I guess the accuracy somewhat offsets the distance. 

Lastly, and probably most importantly, my back feels great after each round. I went for a hike / run right after the round yesterday and there is no tightness, pain or anything today. Huge win on that front. 

I'm glad you reported your driving distance because when I heard 115 for Pw my first thought was, 'that's not terribly short,' LOL. The 230 driving distance is definitely short. 

That said, I carry my driver about 260 on a good strike and "only" expect about 120-125 out of a Pw from the best sort of lie. I wouldn't call 115 "baby." I'd call it a little 3/4 or knock-down perhaps. So maybe there is a bit of a lesson there? 

That said, I think a lot of us get obsessed with distance in the short irons when we should really be treating our Pw more like our Sw >> if we feel the need to swing big, we should instantly club up. 

I think the lack of accuracy (and the occasional big misses) observed in many player's attempts at hitting 3/4 knock-downs really shows what they ought to be working on more. We make the 100-150 range a lot more difficult than it needs to be. 

Here's a good example of how we should think...

The other day me and a couple friends are in the fairway. We're 100-yds out, facing an uphill shot to a green that slopes heavily (~6%) back-to-front. Let's say the shot is 100-yds, playing 110. I feared hitting Gw and spinning it back off the front so I hit a soft cut Pw which ended up about 15-ft short of the flag. 

The other two guys did the predictable thing and muscled their wedges which both spun back off the front. Being mentally "okay" with hitting a 100-yd Pw can do a lot for you! 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

5 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

I'm glad you reported your driving distance because when I heard 115 for Pw my first thought was, 'that's not terribly short,' LOL. The 230 driving distance is definitely short. 

That said, I carry my driver about 260 on a good strike and "only" expect about 120-125 out of a Pw from the best sort of lie. I wouldn't call 115 "baby." I'd call it a little 3/4 or knock-down perhaps. So maybe there is a bit of a lesson there? 

That said, I think a lot of us get obsessed with distance in the short irons when we should really be treating our Pw more like our Sw >> if we feel the need to swing big, we should instantly club up. 

I think the lack of accuracy (and the occasional big misses) observed in many player's attempts at hitting 3/4 knock-downs really shows what they ought to be working on more. We make the 100-150 range a lot more difficult than it needs to be. 

Here's a good example of how we should think...

The other day me and a couple friends are in the fairway. We're 100-yds out, facing an uphill shot to a green that slopes heavily (~6%) back-to-front. Let's say the shot is 100-yds, playing 110. I feared hitting Gw and spinning it back off the front so I hit a soft cut Pw which ended up about 15-ft short of the flag. 

The other two guys did the predictable thing and muscled their wedges which both spun back off the front. Being mentally "okay" with hitting a 100-yd Pw can do a lot more you! 

I agree with what you’re saying. Over this journey, I’ve definitely learned the value of staying within yourself on wedges and short irons. I’d never try to hit my PW much more than 125, but for some reason a “slow” or 3/4 PW still goes like 110-115 for me. 

For some reason, the driver just goes a lot shorter when swinging easier. Probably a matter of % (ie 75% of 280 is a lot more yards lost than 75% of 135). I also think my iron swing is just better / more efficient than my driver swing, so that plays into things. 

As I think about distance going forward, I think if I can get my drive to go 260-280 without wailing at it, I’ll be fine. I may not be playing from the tips, but as long as I can play courses in the 6600-6800 range again, I won’t complain. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve been exercising like crazy and am probably in my best shape in 15 years or so (strength, flexibility, etc). This will help keep my back in check (ideally), but should translate to more efficient distance. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Played 9 both mornings this weekend. Yesterday's round was nothing to write home about, particularly with the driver. Today was a bit more fun. Driver is still a bit silly, as I don't really know how to swing slow and well. The story of today was really my full wedges and my putting. Not to sound over the top, but I don't think I've every putted so well from <12ft and cannot recall seeing anyone else do so either. The end result was a 2 under 33, including a barely missed birdie on the last for 3 under. From the front tees, so not all that impressive, but was fun to make some birdies and show some precision. Detailed summary below:

Score: 33

Par: 35

Fairways: 2/7

Greens: 7/9

Putts: 14

Birdies, Pars, etc.: 2 birdies, 7 pars 

Strokes Gained (Per Arccos): Overall (+1.6), Driving (-1.0), Approach (+0.9), Short (-0.2), Putting (+1.9)

The Good 

Putting: My lag putting was just ok, but I was unbelievable from within ~12 or so feet. My start lines were perfect and I was reading the greens really well. The quality of my putting is shown by my strokes gained, which at 1.9 for 9 holes may be the best I've done. I attribute this to practice at home with a gate. I basically can start the ball online nearly every time now, so if my speed is ok, the ball has a chance. This is basically what Obee says in his putting thread, and I cannot overemphasize how right he is and how much of a benefit this is to one's game 

Fuller Wedges: These are probably the only swings that feel natural to me at this stage. I was a little long on some tweener wedges (~50 yards), but I hit a ~100 yarder to 1 inch (was nearly a dunk) and a ~95 yarder to ~12 feet. I feel really comfortable with a wedge in hand, which if I ever stop swinging a driver like a wimp will be a huge advantage 

Pitching / Chipping: While not required often, I was pretty happy with the couple I hit. 

The Not So Good 

Driver: It's hard to swing this club slow. I need to start taking the training wheels off and swing a bit more aggressively, if not particularly faster. This is just a matter of time / comfortableness, but I think the time is soon 

Today was a lot of fun. I've been getting a little annoyed / bored with playing old man golf, but I know it's the right thing to do at this stage and today proved it can still be fun. I also think the strides I'm making with wedges and short game will pay huge dividends as my longer game comes back a bit.

• Like 1

Another milestone today: played my first 18. Felt great overall. 18 is so much more fun than 9, and it's great when you're able to settle into a round. I played ok, but am certainly still a little rusty. Felt like a round where I could have easily scored 4-6 better, as I just wasn't sharp with my partial wedges and could not buy a putt as the greens were SOOOOO slow. Regardless, I'll take the progress. Summary below.  

Score: 74

Par: 72

Fairways: 6/15

Greens: 12/18

Putts: 31

Birdies, Pars, etc.: 1 birdie, 14 pars, 3 bogeys 

Up and Downs within ~50 yards: 3/5

Strokes Gained (Per Arccos): Overall (-2.6), Driving (-2.0), Approach (-0.6), Short (-0.6), Putting (+0.6)

Positives

Driver - I tried to swing a bit more aggressively today. Not hard by any means, but more intently. When I did it right, I hit by far the best drives I've hit since being back. Far from long (~240), but dead straight and very smooth / comfortable feeling. Key feeling is to really throw the club hard behind we from the top while staying closed. Do that, and I hit a dead straight baby fade. If I can keep dialing these up, I like where I'm headed

100 - 140 yards - I hit some incredibly pure approach shots today. Hit a soft 7 into a decent headwind from ~140 which was about as pure a shot as I can remember. Landed about 10 feet left and stuck there. I've been working on getting my arms to speed up sooner and my left should off my chin faster and these shots really are benefiting from that. 

GIR - related to the above, but after a slower start, I finished hitting 9/10 greens, with the one miss being 1 foot short on the fringe due to an entirely impossible bounce (Kikuyu collars...). I wasn't necessarily hitting it close, but I was automatic 

Negatives

Driver (yes, it can be both!) - my bad drives are awful. I have a tendency to spin out early when trying to swing slow, which is basically the worst thing ever. Heely cuts that go nowhere. I left these in the dirt towards the end of the round, so I just need to keep being more intentional with my swings. 

"Touch wedges" - My wedges from 50-75 yards were garbage. Not surprising given I haven't exactly played a lot, but today felt a little bit worse than prior rounds. That said, my miss was hitting the ball "too" good and air mailing the flag. I think this is from recent practice to speed my arms up / get my shoulder off chin. Need to dial it back, but I'll try to stay positive and realize I can adjust 

Putting Speed - I could not for the life of me hit the ball hard enough. It could be cause it was cooler, foggy and a little wet, but I left 5-6 putts <.5ft short in the jaws. If I hit my puts about 5 feet farther over the course of the round, this could have been a great round. All that said, I hit my puts where I was aiming and that's the biggest battle. The GolfWrx in me thinks I need a new putter with a little more weight / feel in general, but I need to remember last weekend when I thought I was the next coming of Denny McCarthy before I do anything rash 

Overall, great to play 18. I'm making progress and I'm not far away from playing good golf. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dvq9654 said:

Another milestone today: played my first 18. Felt great overall. 18 is so much more fun than 9, and it's great when you're able to settle into a round. I played ok, but am certainly still a little rusty. Felt like a round where I could have easily scored 4-6 better, as I just wasn't sharp with my partial wedges and could not buy a putt as the greens were SOOOOO slow. Regardless, I'll take the progress. Summary below.  

Score: 74

Par: 72

Fairways: 6/15

Greens: 12/18

Putts: 31

Birdies, Pars, etc.: 1 birdie, 14 pars, 3 bogeys 

Up and Downs within ~50 yards: 3/5

Strokes Gained (Per Arccos): Overall (-2.6), Driving (-2.0), Approach (-0.6), Short (-0.6), Putting (+0.6)

Positives

Driver - I tried to swing a bit more aggressively today. Not hard by any means, but more intently. When I did it right, I hit by far the best drives I've hit since being back. Far from long (~240), but dead straight and very smooth / comfortable feeling. Key feeling is to really throw the club hard behind we from the top while staying closed. Do that, and I hit a dead straight baby fade. If I can keep dialing these up, I like where I'm headed

100 - 140 yards - I hit some incredibly pure approach shots today. Hit a soft 7 into a decent headwind from ~140 which was about as pure a shot as I can remember. Landed about 10 feet left and stuck there. I've been working on getting my arms to speed up sooner and my left should off my chin faster and these shots really are benefiting from that. 

GIR - related to the above, but after a slower start, I finished hitting 9/10 greens, with the one miss being 1 foot short on the fringe due to an entirely impossible bounce (Kikuyu collars...). I wasn't necessarily hitting it close, but I was automatic 

Negatives

Driver (yes, it can be both!) - my bad drives are awful. I have a tendency to spin out early when trying to swing slow, which is basically the worst thing ever. Heely cuts that go nowhere. I left these in the dirt towards the end of the round, so I just need to keep being more intentional with my swings. 

"Touch wedges" - My wedges from 50-75 yards were garbage. Not surprising given I haven't exactly played a lot, but today felt a little bit worse than prior rounds. That said, my miss was hitting the ball "too" good and air mailing the flag. I think this is from recent practice to speed my arms up / get my shoulder off chin. Need to dial it back, but I'll try to stay positive and realize I can adjust 

Putting Speed - I could not for the life of me hit the ball hard enough. It could be cause it was cooler, foggy and a little wet, but I left 5-6 putts <.5ft short in the jaws. If I hit my puts about 5 feet farther over the course of the round, this could have been a great round. All that said, I hit my puts where I was aiming and that's the biggest battle. The GolfWrx in me thinks I need a new putter with a little more weight / feel in general, but I need to remember last weekend when I thought I was the next coming of Denny McCarthy before I do anything rash 

Overall, great to play 18. I'm making progress and I'm not far away from playing good golf. 

@dvq9654 Congrats for getting 18 in… seemingly without pain!  Keep at it and I’m following your thread.

Edited by SBH9458
  • Like 1