Video of my latest Sidesaddle Putting Stroke

BigEx44

Latest video of my sidesaddle putting stroke (using my "boomerang" putting trainer).  I included it the sidesaddle "what putter are you suing" thread.  But thought I'd post it on its own thread too.

I sent it to my golf coach (Julian Mellor) for his comments/reaction. I've been slowly sending him my "indoor winter training routines" to make sure I'm practicing useful stuff and that what I'm practicing - I'm practicing correctly!

I use this putting device about every other day. I stay at it until I can make 5 "in and outs" in a row (much harder than it looks.  1st putt has to be a good lag. 2nd putt you have to hit the first golf ball perfectly; if off even a little, the first one just stays in the hole). My all-time record is 17 "in and outs" in a row.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q4zzf7nl9fy1 ... 2.mp4?dl=0

Edited by BigEx44
  • Like 2

Very Impressive, you've obviously put the time in. How do you do on the course?

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

5 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

Very Impressive, you've obviously put the time in. How do you do on the course?

I average about 31 putts a round.

With my SS stroke I feel 100% confident I can start the ball on the line I want and with a good roll.  My weaknesses are:  1) I'm not a very good green reader.  2) I haven't had the time to practice often enough on real greens - so sometimes my lag putting can be a bit of a problem.  3) I inherited a bit of "tremors" from my dad - so my hands sometimes shake (that's why the head on my SS putter is 525g)

But having said all that...I used to average 38+ putts a round (40 putts a round not being unheard of...lol) with my old traditional stroke with a traditional putter.  I really struggled - which is why I was willing to try something that seems pretty drastic.  So moving to SS saved me 7+ strokes a round.  Well worth it for me.

I've gotten so comfortable with this stroke now - and have discovered so many other benefits - that I could never go back to my old way of putting.

• Like 1

Well congrats to you on finding something unconventional that works and sticking with it.  

That's a heavy putter head!!!!!!

Edited by SEP1006

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I used to have one of those putting cups, the nice thing is that you can make it more or less difficult by screwing the bottom of the cup up or down. I find it interesting that you use a side saddle putting stroke but don't look at the hole. That seems to be an important part of the side saddle method. Have you tried heads up?

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

11 minutes ago, Tupperwolf said:

I used to have one of those putting cups, the nice thing is that you can make it more or less difficult by screwing the bottom of the cup up or down. I find it interesting that you use a side saddle putting stroke but don't look at the hole. That seems to be an important part of the side saddle method. Have you tried heads up?

1) Screwing the bottom of the cup up or down doesn't make the putting more difficult, it just changes the difficulty.

For example, if you screw the bottom up of the cup up, making it shallower, getting the 1st putt to lag and stay in the hole becomes more difficult, but hitting it out of that hole on the 2nd putt becomes easier.

If you screw the bottom of the cup down, making it deeper, it becomes much easier to lag the first putt and have it stay in hole - but becomes much more difficult to knock out on the second putt.

I've tried to set the depth where it's a good balance of both skills.

2) And looking at the hole while putting is NOT a fundamental of sidesaddle putting.  Some folks do and some don't.   Some people putting traditionally look at the hole.  The only fundamental of SS putting is to be facing the hole with your body.  And yes, I tried looking at the hole while putting but could never get comfortable with it.

35 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

Well congrats to you on finding something unconventional that works and sticking with it.  

That's a heavy putter head!!!!!!

Thanks.  Everyone needs to find what works for them.  I do think more people who are really struggling with their putting, should consider sidesaddle as a viable option.  But to each their own.

I also think in general that SS putter heads tend to be heavier because it's much more of a pendulum stroke and a heavier head helps promote that feeling.  But mine is even heavier because of my hand tremors.....

52 minutes ago, BigEx44 said:

I average about 31 putts a round.

With my SS stroke I feel 100% confident I can start the ball on the line I want and with a good roll.  My weaknesses are:  1) I'm not a very good green reader.  2) I haven't had the time to practice often enough on real greens - so sometimes my lag putting can be a bit of a problem.  3) I inherited a bit of "tremors" from my dad - so my hands sometimes shake (that's why the head on my SS putter is 525g)

But having said all that...I used to average 38+ putts a round (40 putts a round not being unheard of...lol) with my old traditional stroke with a traditional putter.  I really struggled - which is why I was willing to try something that seems pretty drastic.  So moving to SS saved me 7+ strokes a round.  Well worth it for me.

I've gotten so comfortable with this stroke now - and have discovered so many other benefits - that I could never go back to my old way of putting.

Looks good to me!

I think if people gave it a try (and honestly, if a good  SS was available through a big manufacturer) more people might be willing to give it a try.  In my experience I've only had consistent and notable success with the Bobby Grace side saddle putters, and needless to say, dropping $450+ on an experiment is  tough for a lot of people to swallow.  I'm just lucky I found one of his prototypes on eBay for $150, then once I saw the merit in it I had no problem ordering a F22 from him.

Happy to know I'm not the only one where SS has essentially changed/saved their putting game.  I went from a complete liability to honestly one of the more consistent putters I know.  

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

3 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

Looks good to me!

I think if people gave it a try (and honestly, if a good  SS was available through a big manufacturer) more people might be willing to give it a try.  In my experience I've only had consistent and notable success with the Bobby Grace side saddle putters, and needless to say, dropping $450+ on an experiment is  tough for a lot of people to swallow.  I'm just lucky I found one of his prototypes on eBay for $150, then once I saw the merit in it I had no problem ordering a F22 from him.

Happy to know I'm not the only one where SS has essentially changed/saved their putting game.  I went from a complete liability to honestly one of the more consistent putters I know.  

I tried/experimented with side saddle by using existing long putters that I got pretty cheaply on Ebay.  And they worked pretty good.

Once I knew SS was the stroke for me - that's when I zeroed in on the more expensive Bobby grace putter and refined the specs I wanted.

So I don't think someone has to (or should) be dropping big bucks on a SS putter while they're still in the experimental stage.

I think the thing that holds most people back is how different or "non-traditional" the stroke looks.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

I tried/experimented with side saddle by using existing long putters that I got pretty cheaply on Ebay.  And they worked pretty good.

Once I knew SS was the stroke for me - that's when I zeroed in on the more expensive Bobby grace putter and refined the specs I wanted.

So I don't think someone has to (or should) be dropping big bucks on a SS putter while they're still in the experimental stage.

I think the thing that holds most people back is how different or "non-traditional" the stroke looks.

Thats very true and I actually did the same thing before I bought my BG.

But I can't deny using a putter designed to be used SS as well as the F22/BG putters really makes the system click to me.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/21/2022 at 4:04 AM, BigEx44 said:

Latest video of my sidesaddle putting stroke (using my "boomerang" putting trainer).  I included it the sidesaddle "what putter are you suing" thread.  But thought I'd post it on its own thread too.

I sent it to my golf coach (Julian Mellor) for his comments/reaction. I've been slowly sending him my "indoor winter training routines" to make sure I'm practicing useful stuff and that what I'm practicing - I'm practicing correctly!

I use this putting device about every other day. I stay at it until I can make 5 "in and outs" in a row (much harder than it looks.  1st putt has to be a good lag. 2nd putt you have to hit the first golf ball perfectly; if off even a little, the first one just stays in the hole). My all-time record is 17 "in and outs" in a row.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2q4zzf7nl9fy1 ... 2.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for sharing 

I’m going down the side saddle route 

1. Trying to find the right putter.  I see direct force putter in the video.  Do you try it and how did you find it for side saddle?

2  I tried to look at the hole and some times I don’t.  I think it’s like bowling /shuffle board. some players look pins and some look for those arrows on the lane. I think I tend to look for a spot to aim when I doing face on. It’s still work in process 

Any advise what to focus on?

See you mentioned hand tremors. I developed my right hand tremor as a result of some medications prescribed to me.  I no longer take them but the tremors stayed.  Totally screwed up my putting and chipping.  I used to average less then 30 putts per round and was deadly chipping. It was so bad that I could miss the ball when putting. I almost quit the game. 5 years later and I'm still fighting it.  Putting improved when i changed to a claw grip.  I also chip with a claw grip.  Using the claw in close physical connection with my left hand is the key.  My putting is near 30 putts per round again and I'm getting up and down chipping more often now.  It's been a long long journey.

• Like 1

Totally missed this thread, obviously, but very interesting. Can't say I've ever seen a side saddle set up that made more sense to me. 

I'm a traditionalist, so Side-saddle is antithetical to my nature and I'm never going to use it personally, but what the OP is doing here is definitely interesting. 

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

2 hours ago, jholz said:

Totally missed this thread, obviously, but very interesting. Can't say I've ever seen a side saddle set up that made more sense to me. 

I'm a traditionalist, so Side-saddle is antithetical to my nature and I'm never going to use it personally, but what the OP is doing here is definitely interesting. 

With all due respect, you're probably using multi-layer urethane cover golf balls, which you strike with a 460 cc driver with a graphite shaft, and then hit your approach shot with some sort of a cavity back or hollow head game improvement iron.  So why bother with "tradition" when you get to the green? 

I'd also add that we do NOT know for certain that the Scottish shepherds that started this whole thing didn't face whatever they were aiming at when they got close enough to it.  "Tradition" is a slippery slope...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bluedot said:

With all due respect, you're probably using multi-layer urethane cover golf balls, which you strike with a 460 cc driver with a graphite shaft, and then hit your approach shot with some sort of a cavity back or hollow head game improvement iron.  So why bother with "tradition" when you get to the green? 

I'd also add that we do NOT know for certain that the Scottish shepherds that started this whole thing didn't face whatever they were aiming at when they got close enough to it.  "Tradition" is a slippery slope...

Yeah, you've got a point. It might be reasonable to substitute the words "conformist" or even "snob" to describe my attitude. I can't deny that shades of those attitudes are there.

In my own defence, I'll let you know that I am a skateboarder at heart and style matters to me. It may be a legitimate shortcoming. I don't know.

What I can say with confidence is that most side saddle putting strokes look "not good" to me. 

Edited by jholz

or
or

14 hours ago, Haroputt said:

Thanks for sharing 

I’m going down the side saddle route 

1. Trying to find the right putter.  I see direct force putter in the video.  Do you try it and how did you find it for side saddle?

2  I tried to look at the hole and some times I don’t.  I think it’s like bowling /shuffle board. some players look pins and some look for those arrows on the lane. I think I tend to look for a spot to aim when I doing face on. It’s still work in process 

Any advise what to focus on?

Glad you're giving SS putting a try.  I personally could never go back to a traditional way of putting.  But to each their own!

1) Yes, I have a DF sidesaddle putter and it works fine for that stroke.  I just putt better with my BG F22.

2) I personally don't look at the hole.  I'm focused just ahead of the ball and the target line I want the ball to start on.  It's whatever works best for you.  Experiment. 

13 hours ago, 596 said:

See you mentioned hand tremors. I developed my right hand tremor as a result of some medications prescribed to me.  I no longer take them but the tremors stayed.  Totally screwed up my putting and chipping.  I used to average less then 30 putts per round and was deadly chipping. It was so bad that I could miss the ball when putting. I almost quit the game. 5 years later and I'm still fighting it.  Putting improved when i changed to a claw grip.  I also chip with a claw grip.  Using the claw in close physical connection with my left hand is the key.  My putting is near 30 putts per round again and I'm getting up and down chipping more often now.  It's been a long long journey.

Yea, the tremors thing is tough.  Good for you on overcoming that issue.  Mine aren't real bad yet although the more nervous I am about a putt the more my right hand will shake.  My VERY heavy putter helps with that.

7 hours ago, bsuwara said:

Impressive … Can’t argue with saving 7+ strokes a round … 

Of course, I was able to get that kind of improvement because my traditional putting was so horrible!

I was playing a round with a guy a few weeks ago who loved the SS stroke.  All he kept saying was "Nothing moves.  Nothing moves except your arms.  I love it!".....

12 hours ago, jholz said:

Yeah, you've got a point. It might be reasonable to substitute the words "conformist" or even "snob" to describe my attitude. I can't deny that shades of those attitudes are there.

In my own defence, I'll let you know that I am a skateboarder at heart and style matters to me. It may be a legitimate shortcoming. I don't know.

What I can say with confidence is that most side saddle putting strokes look "not good" to me. 

I am intentionally NOT evangelical about side saddle putting, and never will be.  It isn't a magic trick; it takes time and work like any other change in golf, though it is MUCH shorter than a full swing change.  Also, and perhaps more importantly, putting side saddle is not for everybody because of the reactions of others.  This past Thursday, at Legacy Golf Links in Aberdeen, NC, the starter rode by the practice green, stopped his cart, and said to me, "Is that legal now?"  I had never met the man.  I get a bit weary of that sort of thing, though it ONLY comes from chops; good players are interested, never dismissive.

As to the way side saddle strokes "look", I'll take the opposite view; I've never seen one that looks bad!  I've seen guys putting conventionally that you literally have to look away from while they putt; side saddle is just a simple arm motion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigEx44 said:

Of course, I was able to get that kind of improvement because my traditional putting was so horrible!

I was playing a round with a guy a few weeks ago who loved the SS stroke.  All he kept saying was "Nothing moves.  Nothing moves except your arms.  I love it!".....

this is the really interesting part, at least to me.  The issue isn't whether or not there is more than arm movement in a side saddle stroke; the issue is how to NOT move in a conventional stroke.  The position of the body in a conventional putting stroke is used in multiple sports to generate speed and power thru rotation and weight shift, including the full golf swing; it is a position designed for movement! 

Yet it is gospel in putting instruction that movement other than the shoulders and arms is eliminated.  Literally, there is nothing else in sports comparable to trying stay still in a conventional putting stroke. 

6 hours ago, bluedot said:

I am intentionally NOT evangelical about side saddle putting, and never will be.  It isn't a magic trick; it takes time and work like any other change in golf, though it is MUCH shorter than a full swing change.  Also, and perhaps more importantly, putting side saddle is not for everybody because of the reactions of others.  This past Thursday, at Legacy Golf Links in Aberdeen, NC, the starter rode by the practice green, stopped his cart, and said to me, "Is that legal now?"  I had never met the man.  I get a bit weary of that sort of thing, though it ONLY comes from chops; good players are interested, never dismissive.

As to the way side saddle strokes "look", I'll take the opposite view; I've never seen one that looks bad!  I've seen guys putting conventionally that you literally have to look away from while they putt; side saddle is just a simple arm motion.

Yeah man, I completely agree. Any putting stroke can look bad (or good). Don't even get me started on the unpleasant aesthetics of Bryson or Michelle Wie's "conventional" putting strokes. Ugh. They might get it in the hole, but jeezey creezy does it look awkward.

That was the thing about this particular video. I've never seen a side saddle stroke look more natural and smooth. That long putter laying across the chest looks great. Most side saddle guys tend to use shorter sticks, and them get hung up on trying to make the lie angle of the putter completely upright - which results in some seriously wonky looking setups and swings.

or
or

12 hours ago, jholz said:

Yeah man, I completely agree. Any putting stroke can look bad (or good). Don't even get me started on the unpleasant aesthetics of Bryson or Michelle Wie's "conventional" putting strokes. Ugh. They might get it in the hole, but jeezey creezy does it look awkward.

That was the thing about this particular video. I've never seen a side saddle stroke look more natural and smooth. That long putter laying across the chest looks great. Most side saddle guys tend to use shorter sticks, and them get hung up on trying to make the lie angle of the putter completely upright - which results in some seriously wonky looking setups and swings.

Thanks jholtz.  I appreciate the positive feedback.  And it feels as natural and smooth as it looks.

Now if  i could only read greens......

• Like 1