2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scoring

MikekiM

3 minutes ago, mrshinsa said:

no penalty for not marking the ball.

Thanks.

You still have to identify at the beginning of the round the make and number of your ball to your playing partners.  If you change balls you have to also tell your playing partners.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

18 minutes ago, MWhack said:

Is it really? because my "best friend" never marks, and tbh today he overstepped a line I will not tolerate anymore.
Im way to nice cause dont want to punish his daughter but he stood every shot on the green next to her and let her practice "over the ball, next to the ball" until he said "Stop, thats your tempo for this putt" he was in her down under line at hole 1 as well and told her if she aimed good or not, and after I pointed out he broke again the rules, he argued that my daughter did also 😄 and she didnt hit the ground in the bunker for 100%, she got angry and told him "No I didnt"  and then she missed the putt, I dont blame him for that she should refocus but come on its now getting to a point where I start to take it personal unf. we dont have marshals there and I dont want to call every hole the Lady who organize it cause she has enough trouble parents to care for.
So what can I do if I'm not his marker? I really think about pulling out my daughter from the tournaments cause it starts really to piss of both of us.

Every Ranked tournament we play that is 2 days gets everyone to identify their ball before they start. Also everyone  always will mention if they change balls too.  Last thing anyone wants to do is hit the wrong ball or be accused of hitting the wrong ball.  

What you're describing is what goes on in one day small and not very organized tournaments.  When your first learning to play everyone makes mistakes.  Time to look for better tournaments when you notice problems and it starts to piss you off.

When balls get dropped usually they are the same ball with a mark on them.  That is why it pretty hard to catch them and they make you second guess them.  You really have to find the other ball to get anywhere and good luck if you can because it isn't their first time doing it.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Every Ranked tournament we play that is 2 days gets everyone to identify their ball before they start. Also everyone  always will mention if they change balls too.  Last thing anyone wants to do is hit the wrong ball or be accused of hitting the wrong ball.  

What you're describing is what goes on in one day small and not very organized tournaments.  When your first learning to play everyone makes mistakes.  Time to look for better tournaments when you notice problems and it starts to piss you off.

When balls get dropped usually they are the same ball with a mark on them.  That is why it pretty hard to catch them and they make you second guess them.  You really have to find the other ball to get anywhere and good luck if you can because it isn't their first time doing it.

Unf. we have here only USKids, for shorter tees than Red.
Everything else is Red, so dont have a choice. But can we complain after the round that he turned in wrong scores even he keeps score with someone else?
Today I showed him the R&A Rules about lost ball, and 1-2 penalty strokes, he said he dont agree, his daughter should get one 😄 I mean I explained him for the last tournament so didnt wanted to change scores but still he says Im wrong, no matter if I read the rules together with him.
Really would love to start counting penalties for him, just not sure if I really should do it, and telling him during the hole or after the whole game (dont want to make his daughter cry)

49 minutes ago, MWhack said:

Unf. we have here only USKids, for shorter tees than Red.
Everything else is Red, so dont have a choice. But can we complain after the round that he turned in wrong scores even he keeps score with someone else?
Today I showed him the R&A Rules about lost ball, and 1-2 penalty strokes, he said he dont agree, his daughter should get one 😄 I mean I explained him for the last tournament so didnt wanted to change scores but still he says Im wrong, no matter if I read the rules together with him.
Really would love to start counting penalties for him, just not sure if I really should do it, and telling him during the hole or after the whole game (dont want to make his daughter cry)

Same stuff goes on with US Kids here.  The issue is the local directors just care about numbers they really are just there to get kids to play a few holes.

The best thing you can do is look at US kids as organized play time with other kids.  I know it seems like forever but eventually your kid will process and since your honest with your scores the transition is easier.  

It's tough though and we have all been where you are.  Don't give up and keep plugging away as soon as your kid can play longer tee' move them up.

Its annoying, but if parents are going to teach their kids to cheat in the long run they will be much worse off for it. As golfers and as humans. If it means your kid goes from 3rd to 4th in a meaningless event (in life) like a USK event its really not that big a deal in the long tail of life.

I have mentioned to parents at a sign of infraction that: "I'm not worried about penalizing your kid, but you should know that...is not allowed. I am pretty sure of it, but if you want to check I can call the Marshall..." I have found that just pointing it out once in a more friendly manner does wonders for curbing that behavior moving forward.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Bizzle80 said:

Its annoying, but if parents are going to teach their kids to cheat in the long run they will be much worse off for it. As golfers and as humans. If it means your kid goes from 3rd to 4th in a meaningless event (in life) like a USK event its really not that big a deal in the long tail of life.

I have mentioned to parents at a sign of infraction that: "I'm not worried about penalizing your kid, but you should know that...is not allowed. I am pretty sure of it, but if you want to check I can call the Marshall..." I have found that just pointing it out once in a more friendly manner does wonders for curbing that behavior moving forward.

It is a me me me world.  This stuff is what happens with no consequences.  It sets up kids for failure, not success.

Get your kids used to identifying their ball and marking out loud before they tee off and if they are hitting a provisional, or changing balls. Some of that stuff is easily forgotten and could cost your kid going ahead. Get them to ask their competitors about their marking before they hit a provisional. It is as easy as "Hey I think we will probably find your first ball, but what is the marking on your second ball?"

These threads always make me think back to my high school days. I qualified for districts as a Sophomore and the in-league events were pretty casual we never identified our balls except when we were looking for it in the woods. Anyway on the first tee they announced our names and then the TD said "Gentlemen, identify your balls to each other hand have a good round." Me and my competitor were both as green to "real golf" as anyone and we just stared at each other red faced, unsure of what to say. I guess in the mind of a 15 year old everything is innuendo. My coach from out of the crowd yells "What kind of ball are you playing, you numbskull!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RmoorePE said:

Get your kids used to identifying their ball and marking out loud before they tee off and if they are hitting a provisional, or changing balls. Some of that stuff is easily forgotten and could cost your kid going ahead. Get them to ask their competitors about their marking before they hit a provisional. It is as easy as "Hey I think we will probably find your first ball, but what is the marking on your second ball?"

This video goes into details about playing provisional balls (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXRkDlrH9t4). There are a lot of nuances into properly playing a provisional ball. In short, by asking marking, you are actually protecting your playing partner in a weird way. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 7:00 AM, killer21 said:

We had a girl creating a lot of drama, worse usually when the mother is involved.  The tournament committee had to follow her/our group for an entire tournament.  She has a reputation now.  Too bad because she is not a bad player. I find when people cheat it's stupid because it's usually an mid 80's shooter turning in a low 80's or high seventies score so doesn't make sense.

My other pet peeve is kids not marking their ball in general with a sharpie and it's worse for the cheaters... It's seems that the first Titleist they find in the woods is always their ball.  It never fails. Mark or no mark.  A ball that I swear went in 30 yards back and that same kid comes out of the wood 30 yards up with a Titleist and claims its theirs.  Drives me nuts.😩

LMAO.  The ball marking thing made me think of a certain tournament.   My buddy's son was playing with a Notorious Cheater (NC).  They step up to the first tee and show each other which ball they are playing.   The Cheater has no markings.  Just a brand new Titleist Pro V1x.  My buddy's son tells the kid to mark his ball and calls over the director as back up.   They made him mark his ball and both the NC and parent were visually pissed off.  Guess why?  The dad of this kid has been known to drive ahead in his cart on errant tee shots and just drop a ball for his son.  He will do the same if a ball is heading towards any type of hazard. Crazy I know, but it has happened on several occasions and every kid/parent who has played with him has witnessed it.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, kekoa said:

LMAO.  The ball marking thing made me think of a certain tournament.   My buddy's son was playing with a Notorious Cheater (NC).  They step up to the first tee and show each other which ball they are playing.   The Cheater has no markings.  Just a brand new Titleist Pro V1x.  My buddy's son tells the kid to mark his ball and calls over the director as back up.   They made him mark his ball and both the NC and parent were visually pissed off.  Guess why?  The dad of this kid has been known to drive ahead in his cart on errant tee shots and just drop a ball for his son.  He will do the same if a ball is heading towards any type of hazard. Crazy I know, but it has happened on several occasions and every kid/parent who has played with him has witnessed it.

but he could mark the ball he drops as well.. its not a real protection just for the case you find a random ball and tell people its yours, cause you cant find yours.
Its really sad to read that so many have the same issues as we have with some parents, cant understand why this parents are not ashamed of their own behavior.

16 hours ago, kekoa said:

High School State Championship when my daughter was a sophomore they played against a team whose coach was doing this.  I witnessed him do it twice, spoke up to the tournament director, and nothing was done.  A different school was paired up with them again the next day and the other coaches witnessed him do it.  The coach got a verbal warning.  This coach is no longer coaching.  The program was a perennial power in the state and now can't get to the state.

• Like 2

One the things I noticed is the kids who have a hard time counting seem to have scores that crazy high quite a bit. When a kid is scoring in the 90's half the time what are the chances they score in the low 70's on their good day and only in their local tours.

There are certain kids I can almost predict a good day or bad day based on who they are paired with.  I know sometimes setups are easy but when a kid can't hit a fairway or slices every shot and can't sink a 5 foot putt there going have a hard time getting low 70's.

The local pga tours seem to have the biggest problem.  I guess that should be expected because a lot kids who play high school golf play there.  

Just really wish some these tours would just count random players and make sure it matches up with their scorecard. I think that would solve 95% of the kids who are problems. I've seen tour directors who do that and you be surprised how much scores rise quickly.