Titleist 905R

easyyy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up the New 905R 8.5* v2 X-Flex, straight from Titleist Pro Bag. Maybe not so new new according to this site! You all tend to be ahead of the curve....OK enough Jibber Jabber.

Straight to the range with this stick....I've hit a hodgepodge of drivers for the last two years trying to find something 440CC+ that will give me a little more forgivness and allow me to keep it on the planet. I'm an OK player I played in college and still play to a scratch. The thing I like about this driver from my 50+ balls I hit on the range was the ability to hit her straight. I have been taking lessons again and hitting the range more than ever after work, but this thing seemed to bring my mega snarp back to the fairway.

The stiffer shaft did not seem to sacrifice any distance and optically it's a "10" After our first test run I have to give it a thumbs up for the following reasons:

-Look: Just like all the other Low-Pro Titleists, except it's 455cc, so you feel safe taking a big cut.

-Feel: Hotter Face than the S and the T for sure, you can use those as scrap parts, Stick with the R

-Price: I stole mine from a HoBo, just kidding, I got it off a trade cheap. It's worth the extra Penny!

Bottom Line is they all are good these days. Find something you like the look of and allows you to keep up with the college kids then it's all about swinging hard, and making no excuses. Cant wait to hit her again this weekend!

Hit em Long and Straight Boys'

Cheers,

R.I.P Earl.

JR

• 5 weeks later...

I have had my new 905r with the v2 65 shaft for a little while now, and everytime I go out it just gets a little bit better. First off, is there a sweeter looking driver out there?. For me this club at adress instills confidence. I hit it long and it is more forgiving than my 905t was.By far Titleist best driver ever!

I also play the R with V2 65. Custom ordered it from Titleist with 10.5 head and stiff 65 and so far am liking the set-up. I went with the 65 over the stock 75 feeling the 65 would be a little less demanding. I never played the S or T (stuck with the trusty ol' K through those). Compared to the K it's def. more forgiving and prob. about 10 or so yrds. longer. Feels very solid. Applause go out to Titleist for coming out with a 450+ cc head, and keeping me from being tempted to stray.

• 2 months later...

First let me say I am a 1.5 HCDP, I do all of my testing with the same balls, and do it outside with accurate launch angle monitoring.

A couple of observations; Many folks who have posted who know what their talking about have specifically said, "Make sure you get the right loft & shaft". It is impossible to compare 2 different clubs, regardless of the manufacturer, if more than one variable is different, and get accurate data. To find out if a 905R is better than a 510 TP, 905T, or whatever, the only thing that can be different between the two clubs is the head, the shafts must be identical. It has to be the same length, same grip size etc. When more than one variable changes, an accurate evaluation cannot be made to determine which "head" is better.

I am looking at going to a 905R 10.5 from a G5 10.5. I use a UST HTD 7250, and am comparing it in both heads. This shaft was chosen in a 2 hour fitting with 6 identical set-ups, with only the shafts being different. However true loft on my current Ping is 11.0 and the first Titleist I tried a "9.5" which was actually 10.0. It went way to low. I have now purchased a 10.5 905R, which actually measures out at 12.0 loft. We will put the Harmon in it, test it outdoors, and see if I get the optimum trajectory. If not, I'll have to go and find a head with a 11.0 actual loft.

I hope this helps. The more variables that are present in an experiment, the harder it is to find the catalyst.

Hit em' straight.

Ty

• 1 month later...

For reference, I'm an 8 hcp currently. After hitting a number of shaft combos on a vector launch monitor in 9.5* and 10.5* heads, I have mixed feelings about the 905R at this time. Unfortunately I was only able to test these heads with Titleist Speeder, V2 75 and NV65 in S flexes. The head in and of itself was stable, but felt a little tinny. I could tell the face was hot though. The stock Speeder produced 265 carry/282 total for me and was the most stable of the shafts I tested. SS is 112-114 with mid-fast tempo. The V2 was ok, but the torque was too low. I felt like I couldn't feel the weight of the head with the V2 and personally didn't like it all that much. The NV65 was horrible. I intermittantly tested my 983K 9.5* tour w/ ProLite 3.5 S for reference. To my surprise the K still blew all combo's in the R right out of the water. 272 carry/ 294 total. Is it me, or is the ProLite 3.5 still the best $35.00 shaft money can buy? Anyways, I digress...I hit a higher ball with high spin and think this is why the 905R didn't perform all that well with these shaft/loft combos. I still need to test the R in 8.5* head, Speeder 757, YS7+, X flexes, and some other heavier weight shafts. A couple of questions for the crew here: Is the 905R tour head as solid/stable/excellent as the 983K tour head? I'm absolutely in love with the K but am considering purchasing the 905R tour head in 9.5* if it's capable of producing better numbers. (K: 2850-2900 rpm, 112-114mph ss, 12.9-13.1* launch angle, 155mph ball speed, 272 carry, 294 total, slight fade). Honestly, am I missing out by not finding a better 905R/shaft combo? Should I try 85g shafts in the 905R like the NV85? The reason I ask is cuz the FitOn11 Pro95 in my 3-wood is the absolutely perfect 3-wood shaft and flex profile and weight for me. Interestingly, according to the titleist website the flex profile of the ProLite 3.5 is almost identical to the Fuji FitOn11 Pro95 but in ultralite format. Makes sense. I have the feeling I'm leaving some yards on the table still with driver.... need some advice. Hope this helps others in the process as well.

• 2 weeks later...

After spending the past several months demoing the FT-3 and Hibore to replace my 983E I have agian returned to Titliest. I wanted to like the Hibore and FT-3 but the limited feedback that occured with hitting them was a major drawback. Distance with the FT-3 was a big plus and the consistancy with the Hibore but lack of feedback has kept me with Titliest. The 905R has been a very pleasent surprise, only about 5 to 10 yards shorter then the FT-3 and every bit as consistant and long as the Hibore. The increased forgiveness and extra distance compared to the 983E has made this the best golf purchase for me since buying my MP-60's. After hitting the 9.5 with both the speeder and YS-6 shafts I went with the YS-6 stiff the same shaft I have in my 983E. It keeps the ball flight fairly low as I prefer and plenty of roll. The fact that they are on sale this time of year doesn't hurt either. For referance I have a 6 handicap and have been told a very smooth easy swing and have been hitting the 905R consistantly 260-270 with a few in the 280 range hitting 9-11 fairways a around.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all let me say I have been hooked on TM juice for a long time. Have owned a r7 nv 65 stiff, a r5 tp with the diamana 83 blue stiff, and most recently have been using a r7 tp 10.5 with rayon lt-70 stiff. I average around 110-114 swing speed. I tend to be a higher launching higher spinning player so I really liked how the tp r7 felt and performed for me, but recently started launching the ball around 16*. Also if you ever mis hit the r7 quad you will see some definite loss in distance. I average about 285 off the tee.

I have been really wanting to get the r7 425 tp with the rombax 75 stiff, but have not had any luck finding one worth the money. So needless to say decided to try the 905r after months of searching for a driver and launch monitor after launch monitor.

Found out that I needed to playing a lower lofted stick with a high kick point and low spin. Tried the 905r 9.5 with the v2 76 stiff and was all over the place. I really wanted to like the shaft but had no feel with it. Tried the 9.5 and an 8.5 head with the speeder in stiff flex and found a rocket in the 8.5*.

I have never really been a big fan of Titleist drivers, but they hit the mark here. Took the new 8.5 out to play 18 3 days ago and what what I will say next I know that a lot of people out there are not going to believe.

I have hit some bombs before probably about the best has been driving a 340 yard green with the r7, but on wednesday I was pin high on a 360 yard par 4! This driver is awesome and I know that most of the extra distance is by getting more roll out with the lower loft and lower spin.

Hitting the sweet spot on this driver is like slicing butter. It feels so good and the sound is amazing just a loud thwack. I was playing with my father, and he hits an r5 he is going to get a new 905r this week. He was trying to get mine out of my bag. Also the feedback is good, when you miss you know that you have but it's not as harsh as the r7 tp. Love how it sets up at address too. I have hit everything under the sun trying to find a new stick, and with exception of the r7 425tp this is the best thing out there. Nice big forgiving head, but does not look as big as most of the other 460's out there. Definitely a players version of a bigger driver. If you are like me it's been hard to warm up to the big spaceship looking drivers out there, but this one is really pleasing to the eye. Love Titleist's classic look and always offer more options on shafts than any other driver out there.

My advice is to go try one, but get on a launch monitor before buying. I would have never bought as low as an 8.5 and would have bought the v2 if I did not see the difference in launch, spin, and distance.

I am still having thoughts of trying a 425 tp just because I can't get TM out of my head, but so far I do not think there is anything better than the 905r in my bag!

Just to give a little background on me. I have been playing a little over 3 years and I am hooked on this addiction called golf. I am a good ball striker, can play shots when I want, and usually hang with anyone I play with off of the tee box. As I said before average between 280-290 and I'm playing right now to about a 7 handicap that will travel. Putting is my downfall, but working on it and it's coming around. Hopefully by next summer I can get down below a 5!

ONE MORE THING; THIS WEB SITE IS AWESOME!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome driver now that I've found the right shaft combo...the Accra combines the stability of the V2 with the feel of the YS-6...what a great combination. The occasional snap hook that I experiences with the T and K has now disappeared. Now my bad ones are gentle (but long) fades and the good ones...seriously powerful draws...a good 15 yards further than any previous driver...wonderful club

Ping G425 LST 10.5* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 Max 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

Well first off I gave this driver a 3. I really didnt care for it too much. I had one with a v2 76 in it. Great shaft, but the club was about 15 yards shorter than my FT-3 Tour and my r7 425 TP. Great feeling head with great feedback, but I just couldn't justify giving up 15 off the tee and not gaining anymore accuracy or anything.

• 1 month later...

I have waited for the price to come down... even before testing. I did the same testing with the 905T when its price came down also. I had seen one of the juniors (index 4) drive 370 across a corner in an ambrose with speeder 652 stiff shaft so I new this head had some pop.

My driver swing speed is between 95 and 105 and I am 5'7" and play off 12. I hit driver on average 250 yards but sweet ones travel about 300 (2 a round). I am hitting a Cobra at the moment but it has started going left...

I tried the 905R with 9.5 v2 stiff and the 10.5 YS6+ reg. I tried them on the course so did not hit too many.

The v2 stiff felt dead in my hands although drives were reasonably straight. I could not feel the shaft load at all. I didn't try too many as I new it was not for me. I had tried the 905T Aldila 65S and hit them all right.

I had tried the 905T YS6+ a while ago and I had low slinging hooks- that is death on my home course. But the 905R with the same shaft was dead straight and reasonably long. I hit the first 280, then 250, then 280 the 300 uphill. What really impressed me was that my father who is 72 (who was killing me in our match and is not a golfer) hit one 270 also. It is still not the flat out longest club I have had.. that title still belongs to the Callaway BB 454 but hitting 3 out of 4 fairways with the 905R was a seller for me!!

I hit up ebay straight away for a 9.5 in the YS6+ which cost me $240....

Can't beat that!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I must agree with a majority of the group on here - the 905R is solid. I was a HUGE fan of the 983K, but this is definitely the next generation.

I also demoed the new Nike SUMO and Callaway FT-I and FT-5, and the 905R is still staying in the bag. Got a Speeder shaft in it (S flex) and I absolutely love it. I will try the new D1 and D2, but they have to really impress me to change.

after cracking the face on a T i made the switch to the R and its amazing. Its not the most forgiving driver out there, but probably the most workable. Im a scratch golfer and have no problem hitting this thing solid and its so so easy to work the ball with it. Even with the new 907D2 comming out its gonna have to be something special to make me give up the R. Great driver for anyone looking for something cheap since a lot of dealers are basically giving them away with new drivers comming out.

I bought one brand new on ebay for under $200. Mine is an 8.5* with the Titleist Speeder in stiff. I hit it at the range for the first time yesterday. I've read in several reviews that this head provides too much backspin, but for me I did not experience a rising ball flight (upshooting). Trajectory was what I expected with a driver with this loft. Sound was really nice. Feel was excellent. There was no hook bias at all. In fact it went relatively straight and I could slightly draw or fade without any problem.

The ball jumps off the face when hit in the middle. I was forced to hit off a mat because there is still 6 inches of snow on the ground. I generally hit the ball in the midline of the head anyhow and I think teed up a little higher, where I could hit it a pinch about dead center, that this thing will go a long way.

A very nice driver, but definitely one for a ball striker. I can't believe the 907D2 would be that much better. It's hard to beat the price for this much club.

I have been looking for a driver for two years since I gave away my K. I loved the 983k/nv65s...and have never had a better driving percentage. Not the longest club..but by far the most accurate for me. I let a friend hit it and he went under the ball and put a halfmoon ball mark right on the crown....so I gave it to a friend because I just couldnt look at it. Two years and 4 drivers later I finally have a club that matches the accuracy I had with the k. I tried the j33/nv65s....pushed everything. j33460/nv75x....pushed everything and didnt like the look. 905t/652 tourspec speeder...hooked everything.

I picked up the 905R/ys6s...and I am finally interested in going to the course again. I was so tired of playing out of the wood that I put up the clubs for about 6 months. I have only hit it on the range twice...but it fits my swing perfectly. I took all the other drivers with me..and hit them all...and they all had the same tendencies as always....the ys6 shaft with this head just seems to fit my tempo and transition.

Drivers are so personal that I cant say this club would work for everyone..but I am very happy with it. I have always been a fan of the titleist pear shaped head and traditional look....and although this driver does look big...it feels great.

My only complaint is I do like a more muted sound...and I would say this driver sounds tingy like some...but it does have a very loud "CRACK" sound. I actually had people looking over at the range..lol.

a question for the owners for the R, how does the R look at address in terms of open, closed, neutral? thanks

Looks perfectly neutral to me.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• 1 month later...

here it is a year later and i read this post. i bought the 905r with a aldila 105x shaft. it hit the ball high, good carry, hardly any roll. i had my swing speed measured one time and it was in the 118 range. i have swung those speed sticks and they all end up about the 120 range. i was told by the titliest rep at my club's demo day that this club was made to hit fairways with. i sold it on ebay and bought the hs9 from cobra. same parent company as we all know. i have played x shafts since 1986. in everything that i own. i have pics of me with my hands down to the address position and the head still at shoulder height. i think this is called delayed wrist **** or something like that. of course it helps that i am built like a lineman in the NFL. at age 46 soon to be 47 I can still bench over 350 and i dont even lift weights. i totally agree with u on the aldila shaft. i have heard that most all shaft oem's made there shafts one flex weaker over the decade of the 90's. i do know that i bought 10 complete dgx100 taper tip shafts for one iron thru sw back in 93. i have bought dgx100 since to repair clubs or to try something i didnt have a shaft for. they are not as stiff as the ones that i bought in 92. i have found that fujikura double xx shafts work the best for me. i have even purchased one of the new rombax xx 90 gram shaft from japan. still havent decided what club to put it in. the 2007 models are really ugly. i dont mind a club head being big. but i want it to look like my cleveland persimmon driver that i played with for a while back in the 80's. just my two cents worth. oh and PS. clubs and balls dont play like they used to. i have played with old clubs. and with the new ones. i like the way the old ones flighted the ball and the way u got run with a driver. but the new carry is great too. just not so good on a windy day. lol

One of the best all around drivers I've ever owned. Very easy to launch with a high level of workability. I'm currently selling one in the "for sale" forum (tour issue 9.5*/Axis X) cheap and I'm hoping I'm not making a huge mistake!

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I just bought a 905R with a Diamana Whiteboard a week ago and got a chance to play it today for the first time and all I can say it WOW! Up until now I've played TaylorMade drivers. For the last 4 years I've played a 510TP and a 425TP. the 510TP had a 757 stiff and the 425TP had a Rombax 75 stiff. The 905R is longer than both of these drivers by 10 to 15 yards. The feel of the 905R is what really impressed me. To me, there's no doubt that the 905R is the best feeling driver that I've hit yet, with the exception of the 510TP. The 905R feels just as good but not better than the 510TP IMO. I was also playing the new TopFlite D2 Feel as well and was really impressed with that ball. but you'll have to read that review in the "ball section"! ;)

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

• 1 month later...

OK let me give you some back ground, I'm a 7.2 hcp and really have not been hitting my driver very well this season. I decided to try the 907D1 i hit it OK not really that much longer than my gamer Cobra HS9 10°/ Grafalloy Pro Launch stiff. Well i canned the 907 D1 wasn't really happy with the look or performance i was getting. Went back to my Cobra, well yesterday yesterday i went to dicks with my 7 year old to get him some Hockey equipment and i saw a couple of 905R's on sale at dicks sporting goods. They where $199.00 so i said F*** it purchased a 10.5° with a Graphite Design YS6+ Stiff. I played 18 today with my brother in-law and hit some of the longest drives of my life with this driver. Don't ask me why i by passed this model when it came out (I'm a idiot) but i think now I'm good to go.

mcca

• 4 weeks later...