2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Odyssey Putters - Do they adjust weights based on putter length?

stuman74

I'm curious if Odyssey putters (as-sold) with Stroke Lab shafts have different weights in their heads or in the butt end to account for different putter lengths.

For example, does a 33" have heavier head weight vs a 35" of the same model?  Or do they just try to maintain the ~550g total putter weight?  I'm only aware of Odyssey using a 30g butt end weight with the pistol grips and the 40g butt end weight with the lighter oversize grips.  Thanks!

I think just the shafts.

I was told by Odyssey not to butt trim the SL shafts as the weight is very specific to the length of the putter.

I do know that the heads have different weight for the SL shafts vs. non SL ( steel ), At least with the Toulon's anyway.

• Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

9 minutes ago, RainShadow said:

I think just the shafts.

I was told by Odyssey not to butt trim the SL shafts as the weight is very specific to the length of the putter.

I do know that the heads have different weight for the SL shafts vs. non SL ( steel ), At least with the Toulon's anyway.

Thanks.  Yeah, I've seen for example last year's White hot OG putters that if they had the steel shaft, the head was spec'd at 5g less than the Stroke Lab shafts.

Putters are different animals than drivers and irons of course, but shortening 1" or adding a counterweight or head weight also affects the swingweight and to me it's maybe more sensitive in a putter.  Thought maybe they would adjust weight somewhere since a 33" would swing feel a ton lighter than a 35".  Scotty's have that per their site (33" has 2x40g wts, 34" has 2x35g wts, 35" has 2x30g wts)

Edited by stuman74

26 minutes ago, stuman74 said:

Thanks.  Yeah, I've seen for example last year's White hot OG putters that if they had the steel shaft, the head was spec'd at 5g less than the Stroke Lab shafts.

Putters are different animals than drivers and irons of course, but shortening 1" or adding a counterweight or head weight also affects the swingweight and to me it's maybe more sensitive in a putter.  Thought maybe they would adjust weight somewhere since a 33" would swing feel a ton lighter than a 35".  Scotty's have that per their site (33" has 2x40g wts, 34" has 2x35g wts, 35" has 2x30g wts)

According to the website they do not. Non-Stroke Lab putters are 350g head at 33-35” and Stroke Lab heads are 360g. 

49991466-8BAC-4950-BD54-5487EEDA3729.png

E9747799-3CC2-459F-9617-A757632480FD.jpeg

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

10 minutes ago, MCCA said:

I believe the head weights are all the same unless you purchase the weight kit that has different weights regardless of length?. I pulled the weight from my OG #7 34" it's 10gm i did the same to my in-laws double wide that's 33"  his is also 10gm.

Thanks for comparing those.  Probably all depends on which head shape/model too.  In my 2-Ball Ten and 2020 Ten, they both have a pair of marked 15g weights (in actual they are 14.1g each).

I just cut down that 2020 SL Ten from 35" to 34" (saving grip and leaving butt end and head weights as-is) and while the total club weight only dropped 2g, it feels noticeably lighter on initial putts with the measured swingweight dropping from E1.1 to D2.3.

I wonder if there's enough gap to just jam a little lead tape between each head weight and head to bring that sw back up?  Alternately, I'd have to get a lighter grip.  Or chop the butt weight a bit.  I prefer not to plunk down for a pair of 20g weights.  $40 is ridiculous for that IMO.

• Like 1

I just stuffed some folded up lead tape between the putter head and each 15g weight (not sure how I jammed it in there really).  It may go against the Stroke Lab weight goals since the total weight of the putter increased, but I absolutely like the feel of the heavier head much more now.  Much closer to what it felt like when it was an inch longer at 35". 

Agree with the prior post and some others listed above. Here is my experience.  I have 4 Toulon’s with SL’s.  3 of them have been cut down 1 inch. I did a ton of research before cutting them down. I felt 1 inch was the max that I felt comfortable with. There are some great forum links for this topic with pics of the disassembled parts/cut graphite pieces on scales. Also, there was a lot of back and forth on the forum about cutting these shafts as well. Some people remove the weight all together and others remove the shaft weight then install the Super Stroke grip with those shaft weights. 

The only thing I noticed when weighing items was the shaft plug weight was heavier with the oversized grip vs the pistol. I prefer the oversized grip. 2 putters I bought had pistols. The 3rd putter was just cut 1 inch with the original plug reinstalled with a brand new Odyessy oversized grip of the same weight. For the other 2 putters (pistol to oversized) I bought a heavier Odyssey shaft plug weight off the Bay to keep the same balance. 

I play all of my putters regularly and I do not feel any noticeable difference between my stock and cut down putters.  Again, I tried to keep the original integrity of the shaft weight as uniform as possible to not upset the SL intent. 

Head weights are sold for all models so there has to be some tolerance in the design as well.  

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym Std 10.5*-Tour AD XC 6s

Apex UW’s: 17*-Tour AD IZ 8s, 19* & 21*-Tour AD UB 7x

UT Iron: Callaway X Forged UT 21*-Tour AD DI Hybrid 85x

Irons: Callaway Epic (2017)-UST Recoil ES 780 F4 (6-PW)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 48*S, Jaws MD4 52*S and Jaws Raw Full Toe 58/10

Putter: Toulon Garage Atlanta DB Stroke Lab 34"

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond

Honorable Mention: Paradym Std 3HL (16.5*) - GD Tour AD IZ 7s

Here's just a few data points for the stock configurations of some of the Odyssey putters, listed with head wt / total wt / swingweight:

34" Length Putters

• 2020 Stroke Lab Black Ten Putter (34"): 365g / 553g / D3
  • 2021 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined (34"): 365g / 548g / D6
  • 2021 White Hot OG 2-Ball Steel Shaft (34"): 355g / 543g / D7
  • 2021 White Hot OG Rossie Steel Shaft (34"): 355g / 544.2g / D7.7
  • 2021 White Hot OG #1WS Stroke Lab Red Shaft (34"): 360g / 540g / D2
  • 2022 White Hot OG Double Wide Stroke Lab Red Shaft (34"): 360g / 551g / D6
  • 2021 White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Red Shaft (34"): 360g / 545.5g / D0.8
  • 2021 White Hot OG #1 Steel Stepped Shaft (34"): 350g / 535.2g / D2.9

35" Length Putters

• 2020 Stroke Lab Black Ten Putter (35"): 365g / 557g / E1
  • 2020 Stroke Lab Black Double Wide (35"): 360g / 552g / E3
  • 2021 2-Ball Ten Tour Authentic White Hot  (35"): 365g / 550g / E2
  • 2021 White Hot OG Rossie Steel Shaft (35"): 355g / 546.2g / E6.5 (oddly heavy sw)
  • 2021 White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Red Shaft (35"): 360g / 546.5g / D8.9

It seems like their 34" putters with Stroke Lab shafts hover from D2-D6 and then the longer 35" putters are E1-E3.  Total weights are basically in the 550g-555g ballpark for Stroke Lab mallet putters.

The big question then is: should weight be added to the heads of the shorter 34" versions?  Or remove the grip and butt-weight?  Or trust Odyssey just knows best and leave them all as-is?

Edited by stuman74

Question-  I have a 36" Tank #7 (400g head & 40g counterweight) and want to try something new/a touch lighter.

I like the 36" length & want to try White Hot OG #7 with maybe a 20g counterweight- Should I...

Lengthen a stock 35" SL or steel and add weight (counter & head)?

Order 36" from the factory??

Thanks so much!

On 5/30/2022 at 8:01 PM, WidespreadPanic said:

It’s fine to butt trim the stroke lab shafts. I just wouldn’t do it more than an inch. I cut a 35 to 34, changed the 15g weights in the head to 10g weights and use a 20g counterweight and the swing weight is just fine. I actually putt much better with it like this than when I first bought it.

Curious- what did you use for the 20g counterweight?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 8:01 PM, WidespreadPanic said:

It’s fine to butt trim the stroke lab shafts. I just wouldn’t do it more than an inch. I cut a 35 to 34, changed the 15g weights in the head to 10g weights and use a 20g counterweight and the swing weight is just fine. I actually putt much better with it like this than when I first bought it.

How come not more than an inch? Are the retail shafts not cut down from the same originally manufactured length?

For example, when you buy a KBS, or basically and putter shaft, they come in one length length (38” for kbs i think) that you cut down from.

Just genuinely curious if I’m misunderstanding how Odyssey and other manufacturers shaft their putters, because I always hear people say not to cut down more than an inch or so

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

On 6/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, stuman74 said:

Here's just a few data points for the stock configurations of some of the Odyssey putters, listed with head wt / total wt / swingweight:

It seems like their 34" putters with Stroke Lab shafts hover from D2-D6 and then the longer 35" putters are E1-E3.  Total weights are basically in the 550g-555g ballpark for Stroke Lab mallet putters.

The big question then is: should weight be added to the heads of the shorter 34" versions?  Or remove the grip and butt-weight?  Or trust Odyssey just knows best and leave them all as-is?

I think this disproves what ‘Callaway’ said below about the shafts being specifically weighted to each length, right? I think cutting down is fine, it will just have a lower swing-weight as shown above

On 5/29/2022 at 11:23 AM, RainShadow said:

I think just the shafts.

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread

I cut down my Rossie OG stroke lab last night & discovered there was a weight in the butt end 🤦‍♂️ wish I would have come here sooner lol

Anyway, I'm not sure what the original SW was but from here it seems like to come up with the 550g total weight, the component parts of the Rossie were: 

• Grey DFX rubber grip - 80g
  • Brass counter weight in butt end - 30g
  • Stroke Lab shaft @ 34" - ~80g
  • Rossie head w/ stock weights - 360g

I cut stroke lab shaft down 1" - left brass counter weight out - replaced the DFX grip with a GP blue star cord (88g) - and will replace the stock 15g head weights with 20g weights, putting the total weight at ~538g. We'll see if the swing weight feels similar after the replacement weights go in, but I may add some lead tape (or order 25g weights instead) to restore the total weight to the original 550g.

My question is: how does leaving the brass counterweight out affect things? Right now, the putter head definitely feels lighter but my goal is that the slightly heavier grip + additional weight in the head will restore the "original" feeling of stability to it. Am I thinking of that in the right way?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 9:03 AM, njmack said:

Reviving this thread

I cut down my Rossie OG stroke lab last night & discovered there was a weight in the butt end 🤦‍♂️ wish I would have come here sooner lol

Anyway, I'm not sure what the original SW was but from here it seems like to come up with the 550g total weight, the component parts of the Rossie were: 

• Grey DFX rubber grip - 80g
  • Brass counter weight in butt end - 30g
  • Stroke Lab shaft @ 34" - ~80g
  • Rossie head w/ stock weights - 360g

I cut stroke lab shaft down 1" - left brass counter weight out - replaced the DFX grip with a GP blue star cord (88g) - and will replace the stock 15g head weights with 20g weights, putting the total weight at ~538g. We'll see if the swing weight feels similar after the replacement weights go in, but I may add some lead tape (or order 25g weights instead) to restore the total weight to the original 550g.

My question is: how does leaving the brass counterweight out affect things? Right now, the putter head definitely feels lighter but my goal is that the slightly heavier grip + additional weight in the head will restore the "original" feeling of stability to it. Am I thinking of that in the right way?

Based on the sw metrics posted earlier it seems that a 1” reduction of the 2021 SL shaft results in -5 or 6 sw points. Your 20g reduction in grip weight should result in about +5 points, and the 10grams in the head is another +5. This puts you at an even heavier swing-weight than the original putter before you cut it down. Assuming you cut down from 35”, you’re going to playing at very heavy swing-weight (guesstimate E5-7) after the adjustments you made. I think it’s totally fine that it weighs 12g less after the adjustments, but if you do anything i’d probably recommend adding weight to the butt end or buying a heavier grip. Adding lead tape, or heavier weights, to the head at this point will result in an absurdly high swing weight which probably isn’t a great idea

Edited by mjo23

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

• 3 months later...

Time to bump this thread with yet another data point. This one is strange. I recently ordered the new White Hot Versa #1, custom ordered at 33.75" with the Odyssey Tour Authentic 56 Pistol grip. That's the Pingman equivalent grip.

I felt like the swingweight was pretty light, so I got to measuring. The putter clocks in at about 548 grams. Using some rudimentary measurements, I get a swingweight of about C5. That seems awfully light, and the total weight weirdly high.

I don't want to take the trip off, but I know that the head weighs 360 grams, the shaft about 75, and the grip about 58. That must mean that the counterweight installed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 grams.

I didn't even realize Odyssey made counterweights that heavy, and it must be the reason the SW is so light. Anyone else see anything like this? I'm probably going to change the grip out to one in the 75 gram range and the counterweight to a more normal 30 grams (thank you BST!).

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

14 hours ago, MaineMariner said:

Time to bump this thread with yet another data point. This one is strange. I recently ordered the new White Hot Versa #1, custom ordered at 33.75" with the Odyssey Tour Authentic 56 Pistol grip. That's the Pingman equivalent grip.

I felt like the swingweight was pretty light, so I got to measuring. The putter clocks in at about 548 grams. Using some rudimentary measurements, I get a swingweight of about C5. That seems awfully light, and the total weight weirdly high.

I don't want to take the trip off, but I know that the head weighs 360 grams, the shaft about 75, and the grip about 58. That must mean that the counterweight installed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 grams.

I didn't even realize Odyssey made counterweights that heavy, and it must be the reason the SW is so light. Anyone else see anything like this? I'm probably going to change the grip out to one in the 75 gram range and the counterweight to a more normal 30 grams (thank you BST!).

60g counterweight seems high, but perhaps it is.  On other recent gen stroke lab putters, they put a 30g butt weight with the ~78g pistol grips and 40g butt weight with the ~68g oversize grips.  Is it possible that your pistol grip is actually heavier?

For comparison, this weekend I pulled the stock gray DFX grip from my 35" White Hot OG #1 stroke lab putter (I plan to cut it to 34").  Not as nice as yours, but similar.  Stats on that one were:

Prior to grip pull: 546.5g total weight (supposedly 360g head) and D8.9 swingweight

Post grip pull: 78.1g grip, 2.0g tape, 30.4g butt weight.  That would make shaft 76.0g if head was truly 360.0g. 

33 minutes ago, stuman74 said:

60g counterweight seems high, but perhaps it is.  On other recent gen stroke lab putters, they put a 30g butt weight with the ~78g pistol grips and 40g butt weight with the ~68g oversize grips.  Is it possible that your pistol grip is actually heavier?

For comparison, this weekend I pulled the stock gray DFX grip from my 35" White Hot OG #1 stroke lab putter (I plan to cut it to 34").  Not as nice as yours, but similar.  Stats on that one were:

Prior to grip pull: 546.5g total weight (supposedly 360g head) and D8.9 swingweight

Post grip pull: 78.1g grip, 2.0g tape, 30.4g butt weight.  That would make shaft 76.0g if head was truly 360.0g. 

It's possible the grip is heavier - I assumed that the 56 in the name was referring to its weight, and that it was around the same weight as the Pingman. I have a feeling that Odyssey targets a total weight of around 545 grams, plus or minus about 5-10 grams based on length.

I'll send them a message to find out because I'm very curious.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

And just to answer my own question on this one... I ended up pulling the grip and Odyssey had installed a 50 gram weight plug. The grip weighed 67 grams, surprisingly. So this meant that the butt end weighed a total of 117 grams, which is pretty beefy. I swapped out a 30 gram weight plug and a 78 gram grip, saving me a couple swingweight points. It's still fairly light, swingweight-wise, though I do know that that's kind of the point of the Stroke Lab shaft.

Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

41 minutes ago, MaineMariner said:

And just to answer my own question on this one... I ended up pulling the grip and Odyssey had installed a 50 gram weight plug. The grip weighed 67 grams, surprisingly. So this meant that the butt end weighed a total of 117 grams, which is pretty beefy. I swapped out a 30 gram weight plug and a 78 gram grip, saving me a couple swingweight points. It's still fairly light, swingweight-wise, though I do know that that's kind of the point of the Stroke Lab shaft.

Thanks for the info on that.  Wow, 50g!  Definitely explains most of the weight in that grip.

I pulled the grip off my WHOG #1 to cut it down from 35" to 34".  Reinstalled the same grip and 30g weight bullet that was in it.  Definitely feels lighter now.  My swing weight fell by 8 points down to D0.8.

Maybe I'll pull the grip again and just take out the bullet.

On 6/5/2022 at 5:20 PM, stuman74 said:

34" Length Putters

• 2021 White Hot OG Rossie Steel Shaft (34"): 355g / 544.2g / D7.7
  • 2022 White Hot OG Double Wide Stroke Lab Red Shaft (34"): 360g / 551g / D6

35" Length Putters

• 2021 White Hot OG Rossie Steel Shaft (35"): 355g / 546.2g / E6.5 (oddly heavy sw)
  • 2021 White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Red Shaft (35"): 360g / 546.5g / D8.9

This is fascinating. I’d love to see some more real measurements. This list isn’t inspiring confidence in Odyssey’s Quality Control. 

Here is one more data point:

My red Oworks 1Ws was supposed to be a 350g head. When it swing-weighted at E6 (yup!), I took the head off and it was 376g with the stock weights. The grip was stock weight. Measured 34.5”. 568g total weight assembled with what appears to be the stock shaft, but no counterweight so perhaps it was cut down from 35” and if a counterweight existed, it was removed. I don’t know, but a counterweight would make the total weight super high. 

E6!! Lol

Edited by Godfather

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW: MMT 105
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58: Recoil Prototype 125
Odyssey O-Works 1Ws
Srixon Z-Star Diamond