Something about old school Ping

5 hours ago, teeithigh33 said:

Oddly enough have seen a few setups like this at the course lately. Each raved about how they would never change. Great setup and nice looking bag!

Thx. Nostalgia is a powerful thing and this bag brings me back to the days of my best golf. Great memories of endless loops and playing until it was too dark to see without a care in the world. 

• Like 2

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

3 hours ago, CDLgolf said:

Great looking bag. A long time ago I had a white hoofer full of Ping i3+ irons. Wish I never sold that set up.

I always wanted i3+. Went from Zing2 to i5. Always in a white Hoffer. 

• Like 1

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

13 minutes ago, PARETO said:

I always wanted i3+. Went from Zing2 to i5. Always in a white Hoffer. 

I played the I3 blade for a yeat and my dad has played the i3+ for about 4 ears now great clubs, still like the eye 2's better but slightly. I have a set of the zing 2's and can not hit them, not sure why they look a little funky to me

2 minutes ago, Wham49 said:

I played the I3 blade for a yeat and my dad has played the i3+ for about 4 ears now great clubs, still like the eye 2's better but slightly. I have a set of the zing 2's and can not hit them, not sure why they look a little funky to me

Zing2 definitely have a look about them. Not everyone’s cup of tea. But hey- I always loved them. 

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

On 7/2/2022 at 12:29 AM, PARETO said:

Zing2 definitely have a look about them. Not everyone’s cup of tea. But hey- I always loved them. 

I think I would like the OG zings a little more, I have the 3i and the lw in the zing

I made my daughter a gold dot set of the isi's and they seem like something I would like too, not sure with the 2's

• 5 months later...

Love the retro Ping setup!!!  When I started playing golf as a kid in the mid 90's, these were my dream clubs.  I have since acquired a set of BeCu Eye 2+ (Black) and I enjoy taking them out every now and then for sh!ts and giggles.  Still great irons but I do prefer my main gamers in the long run.

• Like 1

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

On 7/1/2022 at 8:06 PM, CDLgolf said:

Great looking bag. A long time ago I had a white hoofer full of Ping i3+ irons. Wish I never sold that set up.

Me too. They were the 2nd best PING irons I've ever bagged (S55).

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 7/2/2022 at 6:29 AM, PARETO said:

I'm finding I'm loving everything about the Zing 2's.

I shot my best ever score for the front 9 at my local course the other day using them. I desperately wanted to carry on and play the back 9 but was running out of daylight.

I play off 4 with terrible putting stats so my ball striking is more than decent enough to not need much help but Zings just feel so good for some reason.

I can shape the ball when needed although not as much or as easy as with the Hogans.

I'm seriously thinking about gaming these in my full set up come March / April....I only have 5 - SW and I prefer longer irons over hybrids so I'm on the lookout for a 3 and 4 iron and maybe a 1 iron too. Will also look for a more lofted wedge as the SW is only 52°....I've read the Zing 2 also had wedges in 57° and 61°. My eye 2 stainless is 57.5° so I guess that would do in the meantime.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StillPlayingHoganApex99 said:

I'm finding I'm loving everything about the Zing 2's.

I shot my best ever score for the front 9 at my local course the other day using them. I desperately wanted to carry on and play the back 9 but was running out of daylight.

I play off 4 with terrible putting stats so my ball striking is more than decent enough to not need much help but Zings just feel so good for some reason.

I can shape the ball when needed although not as much or as easy as with the Hogans.

I'm seriously thinking about gaming these in my full set up come March / April....I only have 5 - SW and I prefer longer irons over hybrids so I'm on the lookout for a 3 and 4 iron and maybe a 1 iron too. Will also look for a more lofted wedge as the SW is only 52°....I've read the Zing 2 also had wedges in 57° and 61°. My eye 2 stainless is 57.5° so I guess that would do in the meantime.

Those longer irons are still out there and can be found relatively cheap, if you have the patience . . .

Zing 2 LW  is 57. Only the OG EYE 2 LW is 61, and also can still be found pretty easily.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

3 hours ago, nitram said:

Those longer irons are still out there and can be found relatively cheap, if you have the patience . . .

Zing 2 LW  is 57. Only the OG EYE 2 LW is 61, and also can still be found pretty easily.

I've definitely read on here that the Zing 2 wedges came in multiple lofts....in fact, here in the UK, golfclubs4cash had one listed just last week as 61°....I should have pulled the trigger

Great Ping hoofer bag and lovely Ping irons.

Driver: TM M-3 Tensei CK Blue 65 S

3-wood: Tour Edge CB2 15deg

Hybrids: Tour Edge 3-hybrid (18deg), TM Rbz 4-hybrid (22deg)

Irons: Titleist forged 804 with NSPro steel shafts

Wedges: 50deg Sub 70 forged, 54deg Cleveland RTX6, 58deg Cleveland 9deg bounce

Putter: Odyssey #4 with SS grip

Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour 

First real set I played with were ISI Ks that my dad gave me when he bought a new set. This was probably 15 years a go or so, and they were fairly old at that point already.  Had some great shots with them, but at that time I definitely needed something a little bit easier to hit.

Have heard great things about the Eye2s though.

Driver: Titleist TSR3, 9* @8.25*

3-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash, 15*

5-Wood: Callaway Epic Flash, 18*

Irons: Taylormade P790s, 4-AW

Wedges: Vokey SM9, 54*, 58*

Putter: Ping PLD DS72

Ok so as I have said, I've started using the Zing 2's and love them. I've got the chance to pick up a set of the original Zings, 3 -SW with stiff JZ shafts. I've read comments about the Zing 2 are preferred over the original Zings but why so?

I've read comments about the Zing 2's not looking quite as odd as the original but I've never seen them side by side in person and looking online, they look very similar, almost identical?

I'm turning into some sort of old school Ping collector here. I also have the chance of some ISI K but after hating the ISI, I think I will pass them up.

• Like 1

So I went ahead and got the original Zings because I couldn't pass them up on the price.

They came yesterday and apart from the sole being slightly different, they look exactly the same as the Zing 2 at address.

I read online that the toe wing on the zing 2 is smaller and less prominent than on the zings but they look the same to me.

Will hopefully get to swing them on Friday or / and Christmas eve.

Also going to pick up the ISI K because again, the price is just too good to pass up.

Like the OP said, there's just something about old school Pings with no badges etc

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 6:12 PM, PARETO said:

I’ve always said that if Ping re-launched the Eye2 with retro style but more modern specs, the cool factor alone would sell them like crazy. 

I would buy them instantly. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 10.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 60 6.0

3 Wood: Ping G410 LST 14.5 degrees HZRDUS Smoke Green Small Batch 70 6.0

5 wood: Ping G430 MAX 18 degrees Diamana GT 70S

4-PW: Ping i230 Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 (52, 56), Ping Glide 2.0 (60) Nippon Pro Modus 120S

Putter: Piretti 801R Tour Only 303SS Prototype

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 months later...

For the last month or so I've been playing the Ping G series irons in my gamer stand bag so the minimalist half set bag has been retired until the winter months again.....or so I thought.

I bumped into an old work colleague 2 weeks ago at a local course and we got talking old irons and it turns out that he plays 9 holes on an evening that I'm free and uses an old half set.

We agreed to play a weekly match using no more than 7 clubs and the irons can't be from this century. Driver and putter can be anything.

My Sunday pencil bag came back out of storage and my odd numbered Ping zing 2 irons went straight in the bag.

First match we played, I had the best 9 holes of my life and my irons were amazing....I just took one extra club for distance compared to the G irons. I was 3 under par and still lost. He plays off scratch and I hover around a 5 handicap at the moment but we threw the handicap out the window.

I played twice more with the G's and didn't play anywhere near as well then had my new weekly 9 hole evening match, out came the Zing 2's and back came my iron play.

I'm seriously considering just putting the Zings in as my main gamers but my longest iron in the Zings is a 5 iron so I would need to address that.

For anyone interested, my friend used a set of 99 Hogan Apex blades the first time and the sound when he struck one was amazing.

The second game he used some Mizuno blades from the 80s but I can't remember the model.

He says when it gets warmer here in the UK he will get the hickory shafts out.....he says his garage is full of old clubs and never ever trades anything in. He keeps everything.

Oh and if I start using the Zing 2's as my main gamers, I need to use something different for our retro matches which is what we agreed on before we played.....my ping eye 2 Becu's should fit the bill nicely.

I've just gave the old girls a clean. According to Ping, the irons are from 1994.....hard to believe they are almost 30 years old. I might get them refurbed too.

IMG20230430131514.jpg

Edited by StillPlayingHoganApex99
Typo
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 12:41 PM, PARETO said:

I’m such a sucker for old school Ping. Irons without inserts, BeCu wedge, white bag, black logo. It all just makes sense to me. Simpler times. 

7893DD8B-569F-4183-B62D-F777E365C435.jpeg

A3AB2A5C-76A5-4E0F-ADB6-FEE1B32A4B54.jpeg

B6814F38-5557-4A50-927E-48B73A06BD3E.jpeg

I'd posted these (my Zing 2s) here awhile back. After shoulder surgery and COVID are now done, seriously considering what I'll use. I have a set of blades and the Zing 2s which I held onto. I'll play a couple of rounds with both iron sets and see which I prefer. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ok so been gaming a full set of Ping G series irons and Ping Eye 2 BeCu wedges as I tend to carry a full set in the summer months. Playing ok with them, no dramas etc.

Had the chance of a quick 9 holes before sunset and grabbed my pencil bag which had the odd numbered Ping Zing 2 irons in. I chucked in my driver and putter and off I went.

I hit every green on the front 9 in regulation....every time I play the Zing 2's they flat out perform and I ask myself why they aren't in the bag full time.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of the few iron sets I have (apart from my Ping eye 2 BeCus) and sticking with the Zing 2's

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the first time I ever picked up a Ping Zing.     They looked to me like a "Bad hook" waiting to happen.

I was playing MacGregor Tourney irons at the time but they could really sting my hands in colder weather. A buddy of mine told me to hit his Zing's while we were playing a late 9 holes on a pretty brisk December day and I fell in love with them.  To my surprise, I found that I could fade/cut/slice/punch them every bit as well as my Tourneys.  I bought a set of blue dot Zing's a week later and played them on and off for many years. 

I still have the SW from that set.

Edited by Port and Starboard
Content
  • Like 1

In my quest to get to a 3 hcp before the snow flies this year (now at 5), I threw in my ISI BeNi’s recently. While not as forgiving as Z2’s, they play soooooo great. I found my Zing2’s to get a bit “hot” from time to time whereas the BeNi’s could be the most consistent irons yardage wise I’ve ever played. Threw in some S300’s and am thrilled with my iron game. 

50364338-E611-4CFE-B210-E96630467FAD.jpeg

• Like 1

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

On 8/13/2023 at 8:41 AM, StillPlayingHoganApex99 said:

Ok so been gaming a full set of Ping G series irons and Ping Eye 2 BeCu wedges as I tend to carry a full set in the summer months. Playing ok with them, no dramas etc.

Had the chance of a quick 9 holes before sunset and grabbed my pencil bag which had the odd numbered Ping Zing 2 irons in. I chucked in my driver and putter and off I went.

I hit every green on the front 9 in regulation....every time I play the Zing 2's they flat out perform and I ask myself why they aren't in the bag full time.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of the few iron sets I have (apart from my Ping eye 2 BeCus) and sticking with the Zing 2's

Do it. Karsten knew what he was doing with any of his single cast designs. Golf’s hard so when you find something that “clicks”, go for it. 

• Like 1

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e.