12u build questions ans ideas.

Decibel

I have a boy 12 5'2 120. It's an interesting spot trying to find gear. I was think about try to find a set of AP2 light heads I think about 2/3grams lighter. I play clubs .5 over and try to keep weight at D3ish. I've even had hosles cut down to adjust weight before, without issues. Are most people finding the lighter heads to build? Has anyone tried TaylorMade DHY 5/6 and cut down a regular or senior flex saft for long irons?

Suggestions?

My son picked up adult heads also at 12.  I used Recoil shafts, which I think are some of the lightest around. 

I did drill out this 3 wedges, 50, 54, 58° to lighten them.  They were too heavy at the time.  I probably removed about 15-20g from them.  Didn't do anything to the 5-PW clubs.

I think most iron clubheads are pretty similar in weight, and unfortunately there isn't a lot of information out there about what the weights are for them.

Good luck

On 9/11/2022 at 12:54 PM, mrshinsa said:

Our son went adult clubs at age 12.  We did not mess with head weights or swing weight and he was fine.  

No need to overthink.  Just play golf, not golf equipment.

Boys at that age will need new clubs every year so whatever he gets "fit" into them will no longer "fit" in 6 month.

yup

• 2 months later...

Don't overthink it. Here is Taylormade's Junior Spec:

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/en_US/v1669225773359/docs/productspecs/2022_JuniorSpec.pdf

For irons, find a head that he gets along with (doesn't have to be TM) and then find a shaft (which may be more important than the head).  TM specs the Ventus Red, KBS Max Graphite and Recoils for their choices. Probably hard to go wrong with Recoils.

If they grow quick on you, but have not outgrown the flex on the shaft, just put 2" shaft extenders in.

• Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

If you want to make it really simple.   Buy some used P790 heads and recoil shafts.  At your son's height, I would think they only need to be cut down about an inch to inch and a half.  Put some grips on them are swing away.  You will not be able to dial in Swing weight unless you alter the head by boring them out to reduce weight.  Wedges are a little more complicated.  

• Like 1

Something I wish people told me years ago is your looking at clubs ask yourself what you trying accomplish with a set for a 12 year old.

You first have to understand there is going to never a perfect set for a 12 year old unless you willing to spend a stupid amount on clubs every few months. 

To me the biggest thing for a 12 year old is a clubs that will get the ball up in the air and they know if they mishit it and is the correct length for them. Doesn't matter the brand of clubs your buying there all the same or offer something similar in their lineup.  If you were at the point where your worried about weight of club and certain shafts you wouldn't be asking the question you are.   You however should be looking at adult clubs for a 12 year old. 

From there they need to develop their game and you will need to replace clubs to fit that game ever year within your budget.  

On 12/1/2022 at 8:43 AM, tiger1873 said:

Something I wish people told me years ago is your looking at clubs ask yourself what you trying accomplish with a set for a 12 year old.

You first have to understand there is going to never a perfect set for a 12 year old unless you willing to spend a stupid amount on clubs every few months. 

To me the biggest thing for a 12 year old is a clubs that will get the ball up in the air and they know if they mishit it and is the correct length for them. Doesn't matter the brand of clubs your buying there all the same or offer something similar in their lineup.  If you were at the point where your worried about weight of club and certain shafts you wouldn't be asking the question you are.   You however should be looking at adult clubs for a 12 year old. 

From there they need to develop their game and you will need to replace clubs to fit that game ever year within your budget.  

The longest and best 12yo girl on our local USKG tour uses TS3 irons (steel) and I couldn’t have been more surprised.  This girl’s driver swing has to be 90 mph, which she uses a Rogue ST to drive par 4 greens like it’s no big deal.  The big caveat—she rarely had to use her irons when we played with her because it was either a hybrid to the green on Par 5 or wedge to Par 4 greens she didn’t drive.  

For longer tracks, it would be interesting to see how she hit her those TS3 irons. 

6 hours ago, MB19 said:

The longest and best 12yo girl on our local USKG tour uses TS3 irons (steel) and I couldn’t have been more surprised.  This girl’s driver swing has to be 90 mph, which she uses a Rogue ST to drive par 4 greens like it’s no big deal.  The big caveat—she rarely had to use her irons when we played with her because it was either a hybrid to the green on Par 5 or wedge to Par 4 greens she didn’t drive.  

For longer tracks, it would be interesting to see how she hit her those TS3 irons. 

she would  be better off with adult irons.   If she is driving greens someone needs to move up to longer courses.

The big debate is do you use harder to hit irons  so they become better balls strikers or stick with easy to hit irons but can’t feel the center but score better

kind a fine line with this but you want them to know where they hit the ball and that adult clubs offer much better feedback.

I have seen kids drop in leaderboard from bad iron play because they only play wedges and driver when young. No one is driving greens once they get older.

Edited by tiger1873

3 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

she would  be better off with adult irons.   If she is driving greens someone needs to move up to longer courses.

The big debate is do you use harder to hit irons  so they become better balls strikers or stick with easy to hit irons but can’t feel the center but score better

kind a fine line with this but you want them to know where they hit the ball and that adult clubs offer much better feedback.

I have seen kids drop in leaderboard from bad iron play because they only play wedges and driver when young. No one is driving greens once they get older.

I’m sure she hit her irons plenty when she went to the national NBG event last month and won a medal. 

USKG locals for 11-12 girls isn’t supposed to be longer than like 4200-4400 yards, so if a kid is driving 240+ of course they will drive greens on the some par 4s.

Good stuff on this chat as this is a hard age for club selection.    Just something to think about here..... Kid who won UA Worlds recently Boys 12-14 plays Stealth woods and US kids TS irons.  I believe he is 13 yr old.(you can see on you tube)  I'm sure he has access at that level to many other options but still chose USK. Another example of how everyone kid is different and what works for one might not work for anyone else.

That's very interesting about the kid you mentioned above that is still playing US Kids TS Irons.  I'm in a similar situation, just turned 12 playing US kids TS and been thinking about switching to adult clubs.  Do you think it's very uncommon for high level kids to still be playing US Kids TS at that age?  I have nowhere near the knowledge of others on this forum.  My son hits his TS great, but feel the internal push to transition for the lack of knowledge and thinking they are inferior (Less quality / don't go as far etc.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated from others with more experience.  

I don't claim to be the expert by any means and I've learned a ton on these forums from everyone else.  The number one thing I've heard from a few top fitters is to "not rush" it into adult irons.  Nothing wrong at 11, 12 and even 13 to play Flynn, USK, Ping Prodi G IF its best for the kid.   Again I'm quoting 2 top fitters that work out of Florida here with some of the top juniors and I'm sure some will disagree.  My son is relatively small for his age 11 1/2.  We played with a top 10 kid at a regional who was twice his size and hit p790's with ease and same age.  

I think the best thing to do is get next size up in USK or whatever clubs you have, along with an adult iron and shaft of your choice and test on simulator and outdoors if possible.  I just think it boils down to the individual kid and his/her strength to compress the ball and get it in the air.  I know I'm guilty of thinking if he has OEM irons that the quality of shot would immediately improve, but I'm not sure thats the case anymore until he gets stronger.  Thanks all for the continued input!

• Like 1