2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

CUTTING IN ON COURSE

Pastit

My pal had a serious issue the other day whilst playing a course I know well down in Yorks.

Playing on his own from an allocated time on the formal starting-sheet and a 3-hole gap in front of him, he arrived upon the 7th tee to find a guy teeing off. There is a small lay-by where a few cars can be parked just outside the course at that point.

My pal awaited the intervener teeing off and then stated 2 things:

Q: “ Have you cut in “ ? ANS: “ yes “. STATEMENT FROM PAL: “ You’d be better elsewhere .” ACTION: Intervener ( I ) walked off at a tangent to the hole as if to pick up his ball ( it turned out he’d played 3 balls ).

So pal played up the hole only to see the I return to the hole and play to the green, who then picked up his ball, went to the next tee ( 8th ) and drove off. 

My pal then completed hole 7 only to find the I blocking his progress down hole 8.

The I was then asked to move out of the way but objected vehemently, seemingly not appreciating what had been said to him or that interveners have no rights. He could have assessed, quite easily, before intervening, that there was no gap on the course at the point he selected.  

I stated to my pal that I think he did enough and politely. VIEWS PLEASE.

Edited by Pastit

I think in most cases, things like this are best left to the management of the course.  I don't know whether the Intervener was a member of the course, and so had a right to be playing, but he certainly had no right to jump in where he did.  After the initial conversation, I'd probably have contacted the clubhouse or pro shop to let them know what was happening, and ask them to take care of it appropriately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, davep043 said:

I think in most cases, things like this are best left to the management of the course.  I don't know whether the Intervener was a member of the course, and so had a right to be playing, but he certainly had no right to jump in where he did.  After the initial conversation, I'd probably have contacted the clubhouse or pro shop to let them know what was happening, and ask them to take care of it appropriately.

Thanks, the intervener is a member but the problem of letting him go forward is that it risks a build up of slow play when there is no gap for him. He has to stand aside and take his chance in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, Pastit said:

My pal had a serious issue the other day whilst playing a course I know well down in Yorks.

Playing on his own from an allocated time on the formal starting-sheet and a 3-hole gap in front of him, he arrived upon the 7th tee to find a guy teeing off. There is a small lay-by where a few cars can be parked just outside the course at that point.

My pal awaited the intervener teeing off and then stated 2 things:

Q: “ Have you cut in “ ? ANS: “ yes “. STATEMENT FROM PAL: “ You’d be better elsewhere .” ACTION: Intervener ( I ) walked off at a tangent to the hole as if to pick up his ball ( it turned out he’d played 3 balls ).

So pal played up the hole only to see the I return to the hole and play to the green, who then picked up his ball, went to the next tee ( 8th ) and drove off. 

My pal then completed hole 7 only to find the I blocking his progress down hole 8.

The I was then asked to move out of the way but objected vehemently, seemingly not appreciating what had been said to him or that interveners have no rights. He could have assessed, quite easily, before intervening, that there was no gap on the course at the point he selected.  

I stated to my pal that I think he did enough and politely. VIEWS PLEASE.

I don't follow.

This person X (letter "I" is too difficult to spot)

- picked up his ball on the 7th

- your pal teed off

- X returned to 7th hole and played onto the green, did not finish the hole but picked up his ball and headed towards 8th tee

- only then 'pal' reached the green and played out

- X drove from the 8th tee

- 'pal' arrived to the 8th tee and could not drive off as X was somewhere within driving distance

Is that it?

What took X so long to drive off from the 8th? From the OP story there was a gap in front of him so what kept him from advancing?

This needs some clarification.

Oh, and I do not accept such intervening, people start at the 1st tee or from a tee appointed by the course management. Apparently 7th tee is neither of those.

19 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I don't follow.

This person X (letter "I" is too difficult to spot)

- picked up his ball on the 7th

- your pal teed off

- X returned to 7th hole and played onto the green, did not finish the hole but picked up his ball and headed towards 8th tee

- only then 'pal' reached the green and played out

- X drove from the 8th tee

- 'pal' arrived to the 8th tee and could not drive off as X was somewhere within driving distance

Is that it?

What took X so long to drive off from the 8th? From the OP story there was a gap in front of him so what kept him from advancing?

This needs some clarification.

Oh, and I do not accept such intervening, people start at the 1st tee or from a tee appointed by the course management. Apparently 7th tee is neither of those.

It’s a fair description really. Pal wouldn’t have known X had played 2 more balls than the one he witnessed; otherwise pal would have intervened. Clearly X was practising oblivious to etiquette. 

So it appears X wandering off at a tangent to find balls from these extra 2 hits took the time you query. During this long time period my pal had played up to the right hand side of the hole assuming X had disappeared having acted upon the kind advice given to him, only for him to reappear as if nothing had been said to him and following his acceptance that he’d cut in. Thanks, hope it helps. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Newby said:

There is a small lay-by where a few cars can be parked just outside the course at that point.

2 hours ago, Pastit said:

Yes but I’d rather keep the club out of it. 

I certainly won't mention it but your description was familiar.

But there very few from the UK on this board and even fewer who would have ever heard of it. 

But they do have a problem with it.

Edited by Newby

26 minutes ago, Newby said:

I certainly won't mention it but your description was familiar.

But there very few from the UK on this board and even fewer who would have ever heard of it. 

But they do have a problem with it.

Yes, I’m sure all clubs have those who won’t respect rules made for the good of all. When I played serious golf there we called them a menace. 

I tired doing my best British accent in my head while reading your post, but I still had a hard time following what exactly happened 🤣.

All jokes aside I think the best thing would be to mention what happened to someone in the pro shop. Preferably someone with some sort of authority.

If there isn't some sort of repercussion for this person's actions (even if it's just a friendly warning) then he's going to keep doing it...

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Abh159 said:

I tired doing my best British accent in my head while reading your post, but I still had a hard time following what exactly happened 🤣.

All jokes aside I think the best thing would be to mention what happened to someone in the pro shop. Preferably someone with some sort of authority.

If there isn't some sort of repercussion for this person's actions (even if it's just a friendly warning) then he's going to keep doing it...

Thanks kindly for trying. You’re spot on in your last para.

But my and my pal’s main concern here is that folk who do this can jam up the field and an innocent person can look responsible. Usually, where locations on courses lend themselves to folks regularly cutting in there should be clear notices, if it’s to be allowed, as follows: “ players commencing play at point X must ensure there is no-one playing hole X-1 and be aware that they have no standing on the course and must give way to those playing a full round without being asked . “

3 hours ago, Pastit said:

But my and my pal’s main concern here is that folk who do this can jam up the field and an innocent person can look responsible. Usually, where locations on courses lend themselves to folks regularly cutting in there should be clear notices, if it’s to be allowed, as follows: “ players commencing play at point X must ensure there is no-one playing hole X-1 and be aware that they have no standing on the course and must give way to those playing a full round without being asked . “

Exactly why you should tell the course what happened. If they have no idea this is going on then how would they know it is a potential issue?

You can't expect the issue to resolve itself if you don't make the appropriate people aware it is a problem.

6 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Exactly why you should tell the course what happened. If they have no idea this is going on then how would they know it is a potential issue?

You can't expect the issue to resolve itself if you don't make the appropriate people aware it is a problem.

What you suggest was done of course as I understand it. 

On 10/11/2022 at 10:39 AM, davep043 said:

This was a long time ago and related to this story. At that point in time I would occasionally go out a couple hours before dusk and play by myself (on my home course). At that time the club 'managed' these tee times, but pretty loosely - I was booked as a player but the tee time itself was first come, first served. IIRC, this was referred to as "the walking club" (typically no carts went out at that time). 

I was on the 14th hole and I was not going to be able to finish the round (darkness) This hole was a uphill par 3 and the next hole was on the other side of a public road. I saw a whole bunch of activity around the next tee and wondered what kind of maintenance activity was going on that late (after 8:00 pm). Then a car drove away and 3 people were left on the tee which seemed odd. When I got to that tee box I saw 3 people in the fairway ahead of me and one golf bag. They had just been dropped off to play a few holes. 

There was not much daylight left and the configuration of the course allowed me to move ahead of them on the next hole, so I did (and I told the head pro about it by email that evening). That one was interesting. 

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC

9 hours ago, Schulzmc said:

Calling the clubhouse adds delay? How?

Rather than confronting another golfer on the course, let the pro shop handle it. 

Because my pal had a match behind him. The position was obvious, anyone cutting in has no standing and must give way without being asked. 

You’ve not appreciated that the intervener was asked politely whether he’d cut-in to confirm the obvious fact he had. He was then helped out by the suggestion he went elsewhere. 

It’s up to those with experience to solve issues on the course as and when they happen. So I don’t go with your ideas at all. My pal and I have played representative golf for years.  Nothing new about bad behaviour like this. 

Edited by Pastit