Attending AJGA events

mitchnpat1

Is the general public allowed to attend most of these events? I want to go to one next year in my area but there's no information available 

its all boys, spieth, ghim and rickie are past winners. its an invitational 

Edited by mitchnpat1
people are are insinuating bad things

Callaway Epic Max LS Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist Tsi2 3 Wood Tensei Raw White 75 S

Mizuno HMB 2 Iron Tour AD DI-95 Hybrid S

Mizuno 921 Forged 4-P DG S300

SM6 50, Project X Rifle 6.0

SM8 54, DG S200 Wedge Flex

SM7 58, DG S200 Wedge Flex

Bettinardi STUDIO STOCK 28 ARMLOCK PUTTER 41"

As the previous posted said, yes, they are free and open to the public. Although I can't say that I ever remember seeing anyone who wasn't a coach, parent, or other relative/friend at one of these.

Not sure if you plan on taking your own kids, but please just be aware of the situation if you do decide go alone (as an adult watching teenage boys/girls). Most groups won't have more than a few parents following them so you might get some questions from curious parents on why you're there.

ok. literally the same thing as going to a high school baseball game to watch a kid throw in the mid-90s. thanks 

7 minutes ago, mitchnpat1 said:

ok. literally the same thing as going to a high school baseball game to watch a kid throw in the mid-90s. thanks 

Not quite... I'm not trying to discourage you from going. In fact, I'm sure the kids would really appreciate having spectators watching. I'm just saying don't expect this to be an event where people actually go watch kids compete.

In my junior days I played in the final group of multiple AJGA events, and I don't think our "gallery" ever exceeded more than a dozen or so people (most of whom were either relatives of the players or college coaches).

• Like 3

My old club in Alabama hosted AJGA events. I'd go walk a few holes here and there to watch the kids. It was always interesting - but I'm sure I was one of the few out there not related to a competitor.

If you were a ball hawk, going out right after or the day after those tournaments was like Xmas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

2 hours ago, mitchnpat1 said:

Yes, but you will be the only one doing it, but I have definitely attended HS events (including golf) when I didn't have anyone I knew playing. I have gone to lots of HS football and basketball games when I didn't know any players. I just like sports.

I watched part of a HS golf match in AZ one day at The 500 Club. I was on vacation in the area and had just finished a round. I just wandered around and watched kids play, I was the only spectator with a beer which got me a couple looks. I talked to some parents and had a good time.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:48 PM, leezer99 said:

Yes but it's super weird. You seriously don't have anything better to do? 

i have a little motivation to go because it's a very private course that i want to experience, whose sister course is hosting the Chevron LPGA next year...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mitchnpat1 said:

i have a little motivation to go because it's a very private course that i want to experience, whose sister course is hosting the Chevron LPGA next year...

Interested in ladies golf and wants to go watch junior girls play? You’re not making this sound any less weird. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

9 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

Interested in ladies golf and wants to go watch junior girls play? You’re not making this sound any less weird. 

thank you for gaslighting me xir. i think the majority of boys (not junior girls) in the tournament are seniors in HS. i think me and my wife (of 4 weeks!) will go

• Like 2

On 11/18/2022 at 3:11 PM, RmoorePE said:

Yes, but you will be the only one doing it, but I have definitely attended HS events (including golf) when I didn't have anyone I knew playing. I have gone to lots of HS football and basketball games when I didn't know any players. I just like sports.

I watched part of a HS golf match in AZ one day at The 500 Club. I was on vacation in the area and had just finished a round. I just wandered around and watched kids play, I was the only spectator with a beer which got me a couple looks. I talked to some parents and had a good time.

that's cool. appreciate the positive feedback

On 11/22/2022 at 12:49 PM, mitchnpat1 said:

thank you for gaslighting me xir. i think the majority of boys (not junior girls) in the tournament are seniors in HS. i think me and my wife (of 4 weeks!) will go

Find something else to do with your time instead of going out and watching other people's children play golf. You have absolutely no valid reason to be there.  

So yes, going to a junior golf tournament that you have absolutely no business going to with MINORS playing is super creepy.

Edited by leezer99
added content

I’ve been to numerous AJGA events.  There are usually people from the community watching.  It’s not a ton of people obviously but a lot are proud to host an AJGA event.   Yeah, it may be weird to follow a certain group all the way around but I’ve seen plenty of people just put a portable chair down and watch a par 3 for instance.   

• Like 1

Leezer is taking this to a bit of an extreme...

I'll circle back to what I said originally. If you want to go watch then go watch. Just keep in mind that typically these are not the type of events the public attends.

If you do chose to go please just be aware of the situation and how it might be viewed by others. That situation being an adult (with no affiliation to any of the kids) watching 13 - 17 year old boys and girls play golf. Although you don't have any sort of nefarious intentions, some people (including parents of the participants) might find your presence at the event unusual. 

• Like 3

Sitting off in the distance recording kids with your phone is weird. I had to confront a guy who was filming my daughter 2 Thanksgiving's ago. It was awkward, but necessary.

Walking around a golf course watching random kids hit shots or parking on a par 3 and just watching is just a pleasant way to spend some time. I have been to youth tournaments where there were a few random spectators. They were just wandering around watching different holes (like I did at T5C) and there was nothing creepy about it. It is probably weirdest if there is no other spectators but an AJGA at a nice course or country club will probably have a few around, so no big deal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

Leezer is taking this to a bit of an extreme...

I'll circle back to what I said originally. If you want to go watch then go watch. Just keep in mind that typically these are not the type of events the public attends.

If you do chose to go please just be aware of the situation and how it might be viewed by others. That situation being an adult (with no affiliation to any of the kids) watching 13 - 17 year old boys and girls play golf. Although you don't have any sort of nefarious intentions, some people (including parents of the participants) might find your presence at the event unusual. 

I would ask you to leave if I found out you had no reason to be there. And I’m sure all those other people I mentioned wouldn’t define themselves as nefarious either. You have no idea what goes on in the lives of many future lpga juniors and how they are groomed by “well intentioned” adults. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leezer99 said:

I would ask you to leave if I found out you had no reason to be there. And I’m sure all those other people I mentioned wouldn’t define themselves as nefarious either. You have no idea what goes on in the lives of many future lpga juniors and how they are groomed by “well intentioned” adults. 

At an AJGA event the parents are spectators just like anyone else.

You have no right to ask anyone to leave.  Not everyone is weirdo out there some people just want to see kids play good golf.

Random people are always watching junior tournaments seen many people do this who are members of the course or just stumble on the course. 

what your saying is not the norm for parents at all.  If some is acting inappropriate the pro shop and staff woukd most likely step in.

you got to get out more or something.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rpawly said:

I know the AJGA invitational this past weekend (although hampered by 40-50 degree weather, had plenty of spectators. Quite a few college coaches were there as well as locals.

I walked some of the holes at the Rolex the other day as my son was playing a practice round for the other AJGA invitational down the road. Watched my friends son play his last 5-6 holes and then walked the last 4-5 holes on the back seeing some shots along the way. 

I would say either stay at one hole and watch multiple groups or walk the course and watch different groups along the way. 

I thought it was only parents and immediate families allowed to watch (aside from coaches) but then couldn’t find any reference that was the case. 

• Like 1

one more time for the people in the back: 

this is an all boys invitational at a prestigious course. most are seniors/juniors in HS. i was simply asking a question because i enjoy watching good golf. 

15 hours ago, leezer99 said:

leezer, not all of us are 60 y/o boomers. i'm in my 20s. appreciate your concern though.

also, i'd love to see you ask someone to leave a golf tournament. laughable 

• Like 4

On 11/22/2022 at 11:24 AM, mitchnpat1 said:

I have had members of courses and local residents tag a long in my son's groups in the past.  I don't see anything wrong with it.  

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I would just check the AJGA site to see if spectators are allowed - if there isn't any info, email or call them prior to event.  Recent AJGA invitational said only parents/guardians/coaches but I don't remember policy for other AJGA events.  Usually, hosting clubs if private have members volunteering and spectating as well.  There's enough AJGA staff at events to prevent most issues with disruptive spectators - going to top junior/amateur/college golf events are an amazing way to see great golf up close for free - even better if it's a course you play at where you can see how much better they really are...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mitchnpat1 said:

one more time for the people in the back: 

this is an all boys invitational at a prestigious course. most are seniors/juniors in HS. i was simply asking a question because i enjoy watching good golf. 

leezer, not all of us are 60 y/o boomers. i'm in my 20s. appreciate your concern though.

also, i'd love to see you ask someone to leave a golf tournament. laughable 

Your combativeness is a perfect example of why you shouldn't be there and the disregard of a parents wishes shows that you don't value others feelings. 

You are selfish, clueless and naive. Very typical of an entitled 20 year old child with no life experience.

From the AJGA site:

image.png.05ed57211f0f7d04ed15c449bce437b1.png

• Confused 1

On 11/24/2022 at 6:26 AM, leezer99 said:

Your combativeness is a perfect example of why you shouldn't be there and the disregard of a parents wishes shows that you don't value others feelings. 

You are selfish, clueless and naive. Very typical of an entitled 20 year old child with no life experience.

From the AJGA site:

Your quoting old covid policies.  Like I said see spectators all the time at tournaments. I don't care if they are with someone or not.   Any issue you have is no different than going to the mall.   

The only parents who get mad at spectators are the ones dropping balls out there for kids and are the worst kind of parents.     Some the best memories out there are playing at resorts with hotels over looking the golf course and random people who are watching kids yelling and clapping at good shots. It fires the kids up.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2022 at 5:26 AM, leezer99 said:

From the AJGA site:

thank you again. my wife tells me the same thing

Edited by mitchnpat1