Wishon 719/919 Drivers

TKS

On 6/5/2023 at 12:50 PM, AZGolfNut2 said:

The 919 has been almost exactly the same in terms of design, construction, and performance ever since 2011. The only significant change they made during that time was in 2015 when they changed the face material from SP700 to 6-4 titanium. They have made changes to the cosmetics to keep up with a modern appearance, but the design hasn't changed at all (other than the face material). Tom himself said on his forum "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Maybe what you don't like about the new model compared to the original is the difference in face material? I certainly prefer an SP700 face; having hit the 2nd gen in both SP700 and 6-4 I can definitely tell a difference in feel & sound and the SP700 is far superior IMHO. The 6-4 just sounds and feels tinny/cheap in comparison, even though performance is about the same. 

Sorry I should’ve been more clear. I didn’t like the look of the mainly black version with the red outline top and bottom on the crown. The top portion extended all the way almost to the face and was an alignment distraction. Performance was fine. 

The original long hosel version was a beast.  

• Like 1

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

I'm having a tough time deciding between the new Maltby KE4 TC Max, KE4 TC Adjustable, or the new Wishon 719.  Has anyone hit either of the Maltby drivers and can you compare it/them to the Wishon?

I'm 66 years old with about an 87- 90 mph driver head speed and losing speed and distance in the last year or two.  Have been playing a older Maltby KE4 ST2A adjustable with Kuro Kage S shaft but ready to drop to an R shaft in a new head.  ST2A rings like a bell.  I shoot in the upper 80s to low 90s.

Of course the final cost of either Maltby will be quite a bit less than Tom's 719, but whatever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had to get the weight situation worked out with Diamond Golf but now I've been able to get a few rounds under my belt with the 719MW driver.  I have to say I've been seriously impressed with it so far and it seems to have a ton of pop off of the face.  I thought the shallow face would cause me issues but I just teed the ball down about 1/4" of an inch lower than I normally would and it was fine.  I'm using 10g weights in the front and back weight ports and two 6g weights in the toe/heel ports.  I haven't had the chance to get on a launch monitor yet but the flight for me has been mid/low and what looks to be VERY low spin.  I hit a few on the toe and could see the ball sort of fall out of the sky a bit.  I also had the ball roll forever with tells me the spin is staying low.

I've tried two shafts so far, the Wishon S2S Red stiff and the Ventus Blue 6S (non TR) tipped 1".  The Wishon Red shaft is really good on it's own but I think the Ventus gave me the most consistent results and a little bit more spin which I think I need in this head.  The Wishon S2S Red shaft has a very stiff handle which I like the feel of but the feel is just a little boardy feeling compared the Fujikura.  

With the weight set up, the sound isn't too bad although still just a little bit hollow compared to what I'd prefer.  I will probably add a few grams of hot melt just to get the sound where I like it and it should be perfect.

Edited by 03trdblack
  • Like 2

Good report. I had 115mph guy play 9 with me the other day to test it with a noted high trajectory, balloon-hitting flat belly. We were able to bring the spin/trajectory down by opening the face on the 9*. I would have moved some weight around but he loved the sound at impact and didnt want to change a thing.

The face/front weight port governs the sound, I believe we had a 4g or maybe the 2gr. Great sound at that speed. 

I'll be testing a 20 back, 4 front, toe and heel with a few twists of the adapter. My 90 mph swings could use a little more hangtime.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

• 2 weeks later...

This 719MW driver is beautiful!!

I just assembled one and look forward to getting it to the range. I’m going to start with it in the neutral position, but suspect it’ll end up open/neutral. I’ve been playing with 2-3* flat lie and 2* open, so at first it looks a bit closed to my eye, but I’ve had so much success with Wishon drivers for 15 years or so. 

Really looking forward to seeing the ball flight and shape. 

• Like 3

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Put the 719MW in the bag for a scramble yesterday. After a pretty good session in the range, I was pleased with the performance of this driver. I’m still adjusting to the shallower face. I was striking the ball a bit low on the face and  still getting good results. Strong but not spectacular. 

I fight a hook and have been playing a driver 3* flat and open. I had the 719 set to square. On 15, I changed the 719 to the open position and immediately felt more comfortable looking down at the club behind the ball. 

Followed up with a very nice baby draw and my next drive was the best of the day! Short park 4 playing 290. I was relaxed and focused on a full turn back then through. The ball flew straight and landed about 270 and rolled up to about 3 yards off the green. Absolutely the best drive I’ve hit in months!! Easiest distance I’ve enjoyed. I didn’t feel like I “went after” the shot at all. 

I think many factors contribute to my comfort with this club. I have played the 919’s since they came out and have only twice tried other drivers since.  The combination of the Wishon head with the S2S Black stiff shaft is just so familiar and comfortable for me. The clubs balance is great. I know it’s early, but I’m really looking forward to this staying in the bag for a very long time. 

I may make very subtle tweaks with weight distribution and even test the S2S red shaft again, but that’s just the WRX’er in me. LOL

Oh, for what it’s worth, the sound was very solid and not “tinny” at all as others have described. Im currently set up with 6g front, back and heel, with a 10g in the toe.

• Like 2

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

• 3 weeks later...

The 719 is really performing.  I have 9-10 players in this head  to date - 4-5 more scheduled to give it a look as well. The guys that play a stiff tip shaft with 100+mph swingspeeds are using the hosel to get the flight in the pocket they need mostly. The most forgiving setup in the weights, is showing to be the 10gr in the toe, heel, and back positions with a 2 or 4 gr in the face/front position depending on sound satisfaction.  Only a few guys including me have needed to use the 20gr to get the backspin (or shape) where they need with their sub 100mph speeds, because this thing has a great penetration - low spin bias. Really fun to hit and fit this with all the other fitting factors coming together.

• Like 2

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls