Wishon 719/919 Drivers

TKS

A few close up, in hand pictures.  Quite a bit shallower face than maybe I expected.  Shape at address looks fantastic and it's a clean looking design for sure.

20230525_142212.jpg

20230525_142146.jpg

20230525_142153.jpg

20230525_142158.jpg

I'm a little surprised at the 2g weight.  It's basically a hollow rubber structure instead of aluminum which makes it impossible to fully tighten the screw down.  The tighter you turn the screw, the weight just get squished down which I don't quite understand why they did it this way.  It feels like the screw would come loose unless you glue it in place....odd.  🧐

Edited by 03trdblack
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

A few close up, in hand pictures.  Quite a bit shallower face than maybe I expected.  Shape at address looks fantastic and it's a clean looking design for sure.

I'm a little surprised at the 2g weight.  It's basically a hollow rubber structure instead of aluminum which makes it impossible to fully tighten the screw down.  The tighter you turn the screw, the weight just get squished down which I don't quite understand why they did it this way.  It feels like the screw would come loose unless you glue it in place....odd.  🧐

Ooof! I didn't notice that in the specs, and I'm surprised the head it's so low-spinning with such a shallow face. I just measured my 2 regular gamers and they have face heights of 53mm & 58mm, so 50mm is going to look like a pancake compared to those. Interesting groove design as well; I wonder if there is any reason for that or if it's just to look unique? 

As for the screw not staying tight on that weight, put a bit of blue Loctite (NOT red) on the threads and it'll stay put without having to tighten it down too much. 

Edited by AZGolfNut2

45 minutes ago, AZGolfNut2 said:

As for the screw not staying tight on that weight, put a bit of blue Loctite (NOT red) on the threads and it'll stay put without having to tighten it down too much. 

Yeah it's easy enough to get it to stay BUT I was thinking more of wanting to make adjustments out on the course.  If I'm feeling off one day and want my driver to be adjusted, I don't want to have the screws glued in place.

3 hours ago, AZGolfNut2 said:

Loctite doesn't "glue" it in place, it just holds it in place. You can still easily remove it with the tool, it'll just prevent the weight from rattling loose if you aren't able to torque it down as tight as you'd like. 

Yes as long as you use the blue loctite the screw will easily be removed. The red loctite needs a little heat applied to it for release and the green loctite……is even firmer holding then the red. 

9 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

20230525_142212.jpg

20230525_142146.jpg

20230525_142153.jpg

20230525_142158.jpg

The screw will snap into place though. I already stripped the hex head in one weight, how to get it out?

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

What's the talk of loctite? The weight screws snap into place like the adapters do.

Bunch of limp-wristed ....🧚‍♂️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♂️🧚‍♀️

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!

7 hours ago, TKS said:

What's the talk of loctite? The weight screws snap into place like the adapters do.

Bunch of limp-wristed ....🧚‍♂️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♂️🧚‍♀️

Not sure if you read my post or not but the 2g weight is made of hollow rubber and when you tighten down the screw, it compresses down the weight and deforms it. Nothing snaps into place as you described.  The tighter you turn the screw, the more the rubber weight gets squished down. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 10:33 PM, TKS said:

The screw will snap into place though. I already stripped the hex head in one weight, how to get it out?

I did the same thing, ordered a cheap set of ez-outs from Amazon to try and get it out, we’ll see how that goes. I’ve also stripped threads on weight screws trying to torque. So I am no longer torquing the sole weights. Tightening them hand tight, but not torqued with the wrench, if they loosen, just tighten again. Might go to Home Depot and get some higher quality screws or go the loctite blue route.

Aside from assembly issues, how are people feeling about the acoustics? The 719 is pretty loud and high pitched compared to stuff on the market today. I have a TM SIM2, Cobra Speedzone, and Callaway Maverick, and the 719 is rather unappealing in the acoustics department compared to them.

7 minutes ago, laxwax said:

Aside from assembly issues, how are people feeling about the acoustics? The 719 is pretty loud and high pitched compared to stuff on the market today. I have a TM SIM2, Cobra Speedzone, and Callaway Maverick, and the 719 is rather unappealing in the acoustics department compared to them.

I had the 20g weight in the back, 6g up front, 4g in heel and 2g in the toe and the sound was a great muted carbon thwack sound.  I swapped out the 20g up to the front and moved the 6g to the back and the sound changed completely into a hollow, tinny sound that wasn't very pleasant at all.  I was really surprised and disappointed at the drastic difference in sound.  Guess I'm going to have to add some hot melt to keep it toned down regardless of where the weights are positioned.  

Sound is changing with weight positions. So far I've liked, 20 back, 8 front, 2 toe and heel carbony tink. Also best yet is 10 back, 8 front, 6 in toe and heel very solid thwack.

• Like 2

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!

Any feedback on the new 919?  I loved the original but never liked the v2 version but this new one looks really good at address.  Something about the long hosel and setup suits my eye.

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

On 5/25/2023 at 5:39 PM, 03trdblack said:

Another shot at address. Fantastic looking head and head shape. I also will report that if you use All Fit adapters, the "YY-FIT: ALL YONEX DRIVER" adapter will work on this head (it also works on the BALDO Competizione 568 adjustable driver head too)!

20230525_183350.jpg

Looks good.....previous pic it looked tiny to my eye, but not in this pic!

Good info re All fit.....I demo'd the new KE4 Max and the newer Ping collar worked.  Two component All Fit hacks🙃

1 minute ago, ode said:

Looks good.....previous pic it looked tiny to my eye, but not in this pic!

Good info re All fit.....I demo'd the new KE4 Max and the newer Ping collar worked.  Two component All Fit hacks🙃

I also found the new ping adapter worked and all-fit also now has a Maltby adapter collar. 

• Like 1

Public service announcement: 😬

"719MW Drivers - Weight Issue

Dear Wishon Customer,

As a customer who has recently purchased our new 719MW Driver and components, we wanted to inform you of a minor manufacturing issue that has arisen with two of the weights used in the sole cavities of the driver heads, specifically the 4 gram and 8 gram weights.

As you will already know each weight is provided with a screw for fixing the weight into the weight cavity. Furthermore, you will know by now that the weight of the screw is included for the total of each weight. It transpires that the 4g and 8g weights have been incorrectly configured with a very light aluminum screw, which is also the same screw used for the 2g rubber placement weight. For the 2g weight there is no option but to use the aluminum screw, as this is the only screw possible to use to get the combined weight low enough. As no torque pressure is required against the 2g rubber weight to keep it in place, the aluminum screw works perfectly fine. We strongly advise you do not overtighten the 2g rubber weight. Only turn the screw until it is sufficiently held in place.

However, the configuration of the 4g and 8g weights with an aluminum screw is not sufficient, as these screws are too soft to resist a strong torque resistance and can become damaged too easily when tightened.

During our several test phases for the 719MW driver and components, we did not encounter any such issue and can only assume that this is a minor manufacturing error which has occurred with our first batch of stock. We are now in the process of rectifying this with the foundry and providing a new solution as fast as possible. 

This issue only affects the 4g and 8g weights – if you have purchased the 4g and 8g weights then please do not use/affix inside the 719MW weight cavities. The rest of the weights (2g, 6g, 10g, 20g, 30g) are fine to use. 

We will advise in due course how we intend to deal with the 4g and 8g weights that you may have already purchased. Please rest assured we will either give a full refund or replacement for any 4g and 8g weights already purchased. We are working with the foundry to find a satisfactory solution to get the correct weights manufactured as soon as possible and will be in touch regarding their availability when the time comes.

If you have already experienced a problem with the screws for the 4g and 8g weights, or if you have already fitted a driver with either 4g or 8g weights, which has subsequently been sold on to a customer, then please contact us either by phone or email.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this may cause. We will endeavour to solve  the problem as soon as we can."

Yeah I was an early adopter of stripping the 8 gram weights😆.  I just like the snap of the wrench too much. They'll get it solved.

BTW this thing is really performing for me  - can't wait to take it through its paces with a stronger swing speed this weekend with a number of 💪guys wanting to look at it.

• Like 2

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!

On 5/31/2023 at 11:25 AM, achappy said:

Any feedback on the new 919?  I loved the original but never liked the v2 version but this new one looks really good at address.  Something about the long hosel and setup suits my eye.

The 919 has been almost exactly the same in terms of design, construction, and performance ever since 2011. The only significant change they made during that time was in 2015 when they changed the face material from SP700 to 6-4 titanium. They have made changes to the cosmetics to keep up with a modern appearance, but the design hasn't changed at all (other than the face material). Tom himself said on his forum "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Maybe what you don't like about the new model compared to the original is the difference in face material? I certainly prefer an SP700 face; having hit the 2nd gen in both SP700 and 6-4 I can definitely tell a difference in feel & sound and the SP700 is far superior IMHO. The 6-4 just sounds and feels tinny/cheap in comparison, even though performance is about the same. 

• Like 1

On the new 919THI, there is a slight shape difference, at least in the high launch model, the weight contour is closer to the heel. But it is just a tough head to beat regardless.

On the 719MW the shallower face is not an issue to me, at all. I'm noticing that the 719MW gives my hosel rockets added length. 

Edited by TKS

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!

1 hour ago, AZGolfNut2 said:

The 919 has been almost exactly the same in terms of design, construction, and performance ever since 2011. The only significant change they made during that time was in 2015 when they changed the face material from SP700 to 6-4 titanium. They have made changes to the cosmetics to keep up with a modern appearance, but the design hasn't changed at all (other than the face material). Tom himself said on his forum "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Maybe what you don't like about the new model compared to the original is the difference in face material? I certainly prefer an SP700 face; having hit the 2nd gen in both SP700 and 6-4 I can definitely tell a difference in feel & sound and the SP700 is far superior IMHO. The 6-4 just sounds and feels tinny/cheap in comparison, even though performance is about the same. 

I also preferred the feel/sound of the SP700 face.  He also changed the hosel and made it very long in order to allow it to be bent to spec.  This increased the BBGM measurement to 2" which makes shafts play just a little bit softer unless you tip them 1/2" to make up the difference.  From a pure physics perspective, I have to think that when he added the super long hosel, it had to raise the CG of the head slightly and towards the heel since there is now so much more weight added than before.

I had read somewhere that SP700 supply was running out and wonder if it was a supply chain and cost decision when the switch to 6/4 was made?

6 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

I had read somewhere that SP700 supply was running out and wonder if it was a supply chain and cost decision when the switch to 6/4 was made?

His explanation behind the change is two-fold. 1) The rising cost of SP700, and the fact that there are very few foundries who are able to properly manufacture the SP700 faces and attach them to the body, and 2) Wishon apparently did extensive robot & player testing and found zero difference in the performance of an SP700 face compared to 6-4, though some players did prefer the sound/feel of the SP700. So they basically sacrificed feel & sound, for the sake of cost and ease of manufacturing. 

3 hours ago, 03trdblack said:

He also changed the hosel and made it very long in order to allow it to be bent to spec.  This increased the BBGM measurement to 2" which makes shafts play just a little bit softer unless you tip them 1/2" to make up the difference.  From a pure physics perspective, I have to think that when he added the super long hosel, it had to raise the CG of the head slightly and towards the heel since there is now so much more weight added than before.

Ah, good point on the bendable hosel, I totally forgot about that! It looks like that was added in the 2014 (Gen 2.5) update when the face material & color options were changed. Not to get too off-topic, since this thread is about the 719 rather than the 919, but it appears the design progression is this:

2007: Original 919THI w/SP700 face

2011: Gen 2: New body design w/SP700 face & short hosel

2014: Gen 2.5: New plasma-welding dies were created, longer hosel was added, face material was changed to 6-4

2023: Gen 3: Same body design with cosmetic changes to the sole & crown

So basically, if you have a 2014-2023 model there is no reason to upgrade unless you just want the new look. And if you want the SP700 face, you'll need an older 2011-2014 model with the shorter hosel. 

Edited by AZGolfNut2
  • Like 1

Officially reporting the 719MW is a beast with 115mph swing speeds. My boy spun it open a few clicks and sent it down range all day this weekend at We-Ko-Pa. 9°

• Like 2

797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
20+ wedges!