2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What is your golf ambition?

kirkj01

Any club champions out there??
Hi,

I was interested in hearing about any golf related ambitions / goals of the members here??

My ambition in golf is to win the club championships at the club I am a member at in Australia! Unfortunately for the few years that I have been a member I have not been able to enter the club champs as I have been working overseas. But this year I will be back in town:)

It is probably a completely unrealistic goal as I have never been able to get my game to a consistent enough level. I believe the club champs is based on 36 holes to qualify and then the top 16 go into Match Play playoffs off the stick... So obvioulsy you need to play consistently well. In my best form i know that I could win...

But I guess that is the beauty of it...

This last year the club champs was won by a gentleman in his 60's! Needless to say he is a very good golfer and his short game is tour standard!

But that is my ambition - and I have another 30 odd years to achieve it!!

How about you guys??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very ambitious. Played professional soccer in Thailand when I was 18, had an injury that set me back 2 years - during that time I picked up golf.

Have wanted to go pro ever since. Within two years, I was a 5 handicap. Somewhere in between I lost my swing - focused more on video analysis than feel - and plummeted to a 15hcp.

My goal is to be on tour (any tour) by the time I'm in my 30s, 22 now.

This is the first time I've ever put down my ambition in writing . . .

I want to shoot a 65 or better this year.

Now that I have fixed some serious equipment issues that have been holding back my game I am feeling confident.

I have always fought a hook and finally realized that it wasnt my swing, i was changing my swing to fit the standard stiff shafts. I would play the ball way back in my stance and smother the shot to keep it from going left, and when i hit a fade it was purely accidental.

I have now gone to x-stiff this year and my ball control and trajectory has greatly improved, i have even gained some additional yardage throughout all of my clubs due to less upshoot.

I am now working out all of my old bad tendencies that tend to creep in every now and then.

I can usually keep it together for the front nine but then the old bad stuff tends to creep in during the back nine.

I have always checked my lie and lofts but never gave thought to the stiffness of the shafts, I guess i didnt think i could handle x-stiff, maybe i was being too humble or maybe i should of sought some professional help earlier, probably the latter.

At the moment, sitting with a poorly back and awaiting an operation, my ambition is to be back hitting some balls again by the time the Masters has clicked round.

For 2008 I did set myself the goal of playing more and getting some structured practice in with the aim of knocking a shot or two off my handicap and perhaps getting back into county golf for 2009. It's a while since I've played any team golf (or really set out to take the game seriously) and I miss the competition.

A poorly back and the impending arrival of urchins has stalled me a bit though.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Well, I've had more than my "15 minutes" playing the game..........enough to pretty much satisfy me......I guess I'd like to "compete" in the Senior Open once or twice when I get to 50......not much desire to attempt the Sr. Tour really.......I guess my "dream" would be to see a coupla' of the kid's I've had a lot of influence upon battling down the stretch to win a PGA Tour event oneday......major would be even better.......that would be a LOT more satisfying to me than winning another golf tournament myself.......probably sounds weird, but, that's how I feel......I guess the last remnants of myself as a "player" are now all gone and I'm 100% "teacher"...... :drinks:

I love talking about ambitions and hearing about others, such a great topic. I've been playing golf since I was 7 and competitively since 13. And I think I'm starting to get into my prime years, I'm 24 now. My major goals this year would be to keep improving my ball striking and being able to work the ball more on command. I plan on defending my club match-play championship and winning the club stroke play championship. I've got tournaments like the Michigan Amateur and stuff to play in, so performing well in them would be a definate goal and possibility. Most importantly, getting my swing to the point where I can manage it better on days where I am not striking the ball all that well. Turn a bad 78 into a bad 72.

I have two goals. First, I would like to get to scratch. I think it is possible this year, but it will be tough because I have a busy summer. But if I could half way there, which would be like a 3 or 4, that will be great.

Second, I want to keep learning about the swing and the game in general so I could pass my knowledge on to my friends, and my kids (when I have some). I have friends now who ask me questions and when I am able to help them out it is a good feeling (so long as they dont get too good and take my money!)

I picked golf back up ~3 years ago at which point I was happy when I shot in the mid 90's. Needless to say, after the last 2 years of consistent practice and weekly tee times, I now play to a conservative, legitimate 10 hdcp (never took a lesson).

I dont like to just throw out random numbers about where I want to see my hdcp at the end of the season. I think you need to pick certain shortcomings of your game and focus on improving those. With that being said, I like to set my goals to a reasonable level at the beginning of each season. For this year, I would like to see my putts/round drop 2 or 3, be more consistent 100 yrds in, and slow my pace of play by talking myself through each shot. I think if I can achieve these goals, it will definitely result in a lower handicap.

although some would still consider me a newbie, my real ambition is to become a pro, in the traditional sense. I'd really love to eventually start a golf academy, with an emphasis on working with kids. although I really want to become as good a player as I can, and after getting the handicap so far down so relatively quickly, who knows?

I want to hit more greens in regulation. To do that, I need to work on my irons.

The end result will hopefully be lowering my handicap by 8 shots, to 9. Why 9? My 68 year old father plays off ten, and I want to beat him! :drinks:

Titleist TSi3 9*          | Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Titleist 2021 T200 2 iron | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 100X

Titleist 2021 T200 3 iron | KBS Tour 130X

Titleist 2021 T100S 4-PW  | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 50.08F          | KBS Tour 130X

Vokey SM9 56.08M, 62.08M  | Dynamic Gold S400

LAB Golf DF 2.1 Custom    | Accra x LAB

been my club champion for 18 straight years (over two clubs).....normally takes 3-5 under for 3 rounds

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I play in a lot of the Arizona Amateur events and USGA qualifying events. I want to first make the cut in any of these events. I just enjoy the competition. I am realistic about how far I can go with limited practice/play time. I just want to make a cut so I can get a 4 round tournament in - that sounds like fun. Maybe someday get good enough to challenge for a qualifying spot in a USGA event like the Mid AM - that will be VERY tough but a fun goal to have.

My goal this year is to qualify for the Arizona Stroke Play and Arizona Amatuer and make the cut in both. I have come close the last 2 years and did qualify for the Stroke Play this past September but did not make the cut. Should be a fun year. I like the fact that these tournaments are held at great golf courses and you get multiple rounds for a pretty fair price (under $200 for 4 rounds if you make the cut).

This is a great game and something you can always have goals for throughout your life. Competitive golf is so much fun!!!

Great thread and posts!

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

I will always be a DAD first so for me to compete at the level I desire may never happen but I still like to play competive golf. I guess a win for me will be to qualify for some decent tournaments have some fun while I am out in the dog fight.

I may get out to play more this year because my daughter wants to play.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

Anxious to get my amatuer status back so I can compete in some tournies again. I would love to play in the San Francisco City Championships, US AM, and US mid AM. These are all possible after the later part of the year when I get my AM status back. Up until that time, I can say that I have accomplished what I have attempted in professional golf, aside for a major championship.

So hopefully some day I will take my game to the mid am and show them what a former under achieved pro is capable of.

Dan

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Two goals for the course this year: One is to remain one of the top 5 captains in the daily dog fights (not the Michael Vick kind). Two, to finish in the top 3 in the club championship. Two years ago I lost in a one hole playoff and took 2nd (I choked). Last year had a terrible final round and ended up taking 8th place....