2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

True aim ball marker

Z1ggy16

52 minutes ago, bakere said:

Used my marked from @SE Gamer and it was very nice on course. That in combo with the distance chart posted earlier in this thread helped me quantify the break I wanted to play. For instance, I had 8 footer that I guessed (I don't use aimpoint yet) to be about a cup worth of break. Used the chart and identified that I needed one full hash of break. Lined up my putt, hit putt, and viola it went in. Definitely a powerful tool for us who have aiming issues. Thanks!

So great to hear all the success folks are having with the marker! And that even if you don't use aimpoint, you can still use it to your advantage. Still requires you to read the putts. But at least removes the variable of wondering whether the alignment is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Agreed. @sociojeje is that a Vice ball? I've got a dozen Pro Plus I plan to test this year. And playing around at home, the alignment line on them really seems to pair well with the marker.

Yes it is a vice ball that I found in the ob zone a year ago lol. I liked the line and am still using it for my indoor putting practice. My typical ball is srixon z star but am thinking about buying vice pro balls for the new season!

• Like 1

On 3/24/2023 at 4:07 PM, sociojeje said:

Yes it is a vice ball that I found in the ob zone a year ago lol. I liked the line and am still using it for my indoor putting practice. My typical ball is srixon z star but am thinking about buying vice pro balls for the new season!

Yeah. I'd tried vice balls back when they were new to the market. Solid performers, but they weren't durable.

Currently gaming Maxfli Tour X. Also bought some of the Tour and S models to try this season. Was gifted some Vice Pro Plus as well. So they'll also be in the mix.

Really like the simple black line on the new Vice balls. Pairs so well with the marker. At the same time, I really love the Maxfli Tour X. So the Vice would have to be comparable. 

Otherwise, I've (unsurprisingly) designed and 3d printed custom ball marking "clips". One of which is a simple line. 

On 3/9/2023 at 7:12 PM, sheppick.dan said:

Here is my chart that I created. It is set up with margins so it should fit in a regular yardage book

Green Slope Calculations.docx 18.32 kB · 36 downloads

Thanks for this but could you explain it to me?  The numbers are they from edge or middle?  For instance at 1 foot when you are on half of hash 1 and it says 1.75"in green what does that mean?  Also just for sake of correctness your hash 4 you typed hash 3 a second time

On 3/22/2023 at 11:40 AM, SE Gamer said:

Hey @Z1ggy16 - can you update the PPT file in the OP? Looks like the one you have there is missing the table for the longer range putts.

Diagram 2ft Increments.pptx 1006.1 kB · 6 downloads

Silly question.  For the 1 and 2 putt distance you have no numbers.  Is the implication that you don't need them? It seems in the picture that hash 2-4 is outside the hole but not measurements as to how much.

1 minute ago, mitchdoc said:

Silly question.  For the 1 and 2 putt distance you have no numbers.  Is the implication that you don't need them? It seems in the picture that hash 2-4 is outside the hole but not measurements as to how much.

It's a good question and point of clarity for folks who maybe haven't followed along since the beginning. And you're assumption is correct that the idea is they weren't necessary (and omitting the numbers made it look a little cleaner). The balls and hole are to scale. And I figured most at that type of distance could easily visualize based on the diagram. If you do want numbers, there's a table in the thread as well that has those values at short distances. 

1 hour ago, mitchdoc said:

OK got it. Just seemed that going to hash 3 or 4 that one was aiming outside the hole enough that maybe a number or saying 1 or 3 balls out would help us who are visually challenged. 

Also are the ball colors on the chart now coded to the hash colors?

Yeah some will be slightly outside the hole. But I figured since the balls are to scale, you can pretty easily figure, that it's X number of balls outside the hole. 

And yes, the ball colors on the chart directly correspond to the hash colors on the marker. 

• Thanks 2

Well looks like I'm committing to this full for. In addition to ordering one of these markers from SEgamer I am also ordering a digital level so that I could practice calibrating slopes with my AimPoint type stance straddling the line. I am going to try to find a way to calibrate the marker hashes and my stance and hopefully improve my green reading skills.

• Like 3

On 3/30/2023 at 10:29 PM, mitchdoc said:

Well looks like I'm committing to this full for. In addition to ordering one of these markers from SEgamer I am also ordering a digital level so that I could practice calibrating slopes with my AimPoint type stance straddling the line. I am going to try to find a way to calibrate the marker hashes and my stance and hopefully improve my green reading skills.

Nice! I picked up a digital level (with slope readings) a while back. But never got around to using it. Have been messing with it recently. setting up known values on my stance mat at home to see if I can learn to feel the slopes. 

Keep us posted with how it goes for you!

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:29 PM, mitchdoc said:

I have been using Aimpont, a green book and the marker and my green reading skills have improved dramatically. Use the marker in your practice everytime. It makes a difference when you get on the course and have to play with purpose. @SE Gamer marker is a difference maker!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s

TM Stealth2 15* TM Ventus TR 6-S 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 4/2/2023 at 12:21 PM, OspreyCI said:

I have been using Aimpont, a green book and the marker and my green reading skills have improved dramatically. Use the marker in your practice everytime. It makes a difference when you get on the course and have to play with purpose. @SE Gamer marker is a difference maker!

I was thinking at my home course there are a few typical pin placement and maybe would do practice round with the level and learn the Slope and how to read it with the marker.

Edited by mitchdoc
  • Like 1

I have 4 rounds using the marker and the results aren’t any different from what I normally play - might be a tad worse because I have not played the speed of the greens as well. It’s not the marker It is the user haha.

One tip or thing I did notice on my last three greens yesterday as far as aiming is ; Once you line the ball mark with the marker be sure to be directly over or situated for good alignment. I noticed late in my round yesterday by checking alignment with my putter shaft that my alignment was off from my read and noticed that I was aligning the ball with marker from slightly off to the side. A little bit makes a lot of difference.

Another update from a lousy putter leaning heavily on this for help:

Mid range to short putts (15ft and under I'd say) this device has really helped me. Using it plus the table for quantifying break I am way more confident in my alignment. After lining up, I just worry about my speed. Not only have I made more than usual (which wasn't very often before), my misses skirt the edges where I used to regularly miss by multiple cups.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:21 AM, OspreyCI said:

Another great round because of the marker and using Aimpont and the chart. It’s just a system that works! Turned me into a very good green reader…. And I was the worst! 

Edited by OspreyCI
  • Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Since practicing with aimpoint this marker and using the chart my putting has been so much better. It was a little slow at first and my playing partners were giving me so much crap but the more you use it and get used to it the faster it becomes. I don’t even use the chart anymore. This has been a great tool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

11 hours ago, Doaner84 said:

Since practicing with aimpoint this marker and using the chart my putting has been so much better. It was a little slow at first and my playing partners were giving me so much crap but the more you use it and get used to it the faster it becomes. I don’t even use the chart anymore. This has been a great tool

Same exact experience as you. Was getting a little weird looks and comments from my buddies until I just started putting lights out. Agree, slow process at first, but yesterday was getting much faster. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Late to the party, but this marker is an interesting tool. What degrees are the lines separated by?

Srixon ZX5 9* driver: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Ping G410 2h, 3h, 4h: Tensei CK Pro Blue
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW: Modus 105x (SS) or Recoil Prototype 110
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58: Recoil Prototype 125
Odyssey O-Works 1Ws
Srixon Z-Star Diamond

@SE Gamer I should PayPal this man some money. The marker and chart helped me get 5 birdies and an Eagle today. PB at my home course. Line up the marker straight, get your Aimpont, back it up with the chart, line up the ball with the marker lines, and then just take that skin! 

Edited by OspreyCI
Spelling

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 4/16/2023 at 3:48 PM, OspreyCI said:

@SE Gamer I should PayPal this man some money. The marker and chart helped me get 5 birdies and an Eagle today. PB at my home course. Line up the marker straight, get your Aimpont, back it up with the chart, line up the ball with the marker lines, and then just take that skin! 

Must have been some moon alignment with these markers - Sunday was my best day with it also - Not like your day only 3 birdies and some really close putts - 

I have been using Aimpoint and the marker - Only on the longer putts (15ft+) -shorter putts still using feel and putter alignment 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 9:55 PM, sheppick.dan said:

Round one today with the marker and. Strakaline green book. What great results there was. 

I struggled with just the marker as I’m not a great reader of the % but adding the book made a huge difference. Lag putting was spot on and within inches!

Good stuff. Have you seen @SE Gamer Chart? That is the most helpful for me along with the marker. The % is still a guess. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, sheppick.dan said:

I have the chart, isn’t it used to confirm your original thought for slope? Maybe I am misunderstanding the use of the chart!

You are exactly right. I use the chart to confirm my Aimpont read. Normally just confirms what I feel and see. For example, if I think it’s 2% or two fingers from a certain distance the charts confirms the inches outside the cup. My putting has been lights out since I use these tools together. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

You are exactly right. I use the chart to confirm my Aimpont read. Normally just confirms what I feel and see. For example, if I think it’s 2% or two fingers from a certain distance the charts confirms the inches outside the cup. My putting has been lights out since I use these tools together. 

I am a horrendous green reader! Even with the straka line book I was still second guessing the break a few times. 

once I learn to trust it then I think I’ll be good. They just punched the greens so they are pretty In consistent speed wise. Shot 73 yesterday with 3 3-putt bogeys!