2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Freshening...

Swingingk

6 hours ago, Swingingk said:

I picked up this well loved set of Mizuno MP-9's this summer and loved the feel.  The S300U shafts had been extended 1/2" some time in the past which suits me fine but the grips were in need of replacement and the boring stock ferrules didn't speak to me so...  I yanked the shafts, threw on some juicy old Cell Parts ferrules I had laying around, and re-gripped them with Lamkin Crossline Blacks.  I did a bit of paint fill too.  Yes they're worn and yes they have quite a bit of bag chatter but they play great and I really love how they turned out.  I think the long ferrules really make them pop. 
My wife and I are taking the family down to Puerto Vallarta next week and these babies are coming with.  Oh man I just can't wait to swing them!

20221228_224842.jpg

20221228_224913.jpg

20221228_225550.jpg

20221228_230354.jpg

20221228_230428.jpg

20221228_230701.jpg

Very sweet and nice job on the refresh.

Did you sandblast the faces or is that paint? Either way thay look great.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Very sweet and nice job on the refresh.

Did you sandblast the faces or is that paint? Either way thay look great.

Thanks.  I didn't do anything with the faces other than fill the bottom groove with white paint.  The factory frosting still looks pretty good so I didn't mess with it.  

9 hours ago, Swingingk said:

I picked up this well loved set of Mizuno MP-9's this summer and loved the feel.  The S300U shafts had been extended 1/2" some time in the past which suits me fine but the grips were in need of replacement and the boring stock ferrules didn't speak to me so...  I yanked the shafts, threw on some juicy old Cell Parts ferrules I had laying around, and re-gripped them with Lamkin Crossline Blacks.  I did a bit of paint fill too.  Yes they're worn and yes they have quite a bit of bag chatter but they play great and I really love how they turned out.  I think the long ferrules really make them pop. 
My wife and I are taking the family down to Puerto Vallarta next week and these babies are coming with.  Oh man I just can't wait to swing them!

20221228_224842.jpg

20221228_224913.jpg

20221228_225550.jpg

20221228_230354.jpg

20221228_230428.jpg

20221228_230701.jpg

You got 2i to PW? I just got a set from 3i to SW. Slightly envious of the 2i....

I would have loved to get TP-11s, but they usually command a higher price here (about double the MS-9s), so I went for the MS-9s instead. Apart from stampings, I'm pretty sure they're the same club.

I don't believe either the TP-11s or the MS-9s were released in Japan, so I'm just happy to find a set at a decent price.

The 5i is 37.75" long, which means a "massive" 0.25" longer than Mizuno's standard Japanese specs from that timeframe.

There's quite a bit of offset, isn't there?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

You got 2i to PW? I just got a set from 3i to SW. Slightly envious of the 2i....

I would have loved to get TP-11s, but they usually command a higher price here (about double the MS-9s), so I went for the MS-9s instead. Apart from stampings, I'm pretty sure they're the same club.

I don't believe either the TP-11s or the MS-9s were released in Japan, so I'm just happy to find a set at a decent price.

The 5i is 37.75" long, which means a "massive" 0.25" longer than Mizuno's standard Japanese specs from that timeframe.

There's quite a bit of offset, isn't there?

Yes I was quite pleased to get the 2-iron with the set.  I doubt I'll play it in any serious way but I do like to have it just the same.  I haven't measured or manipulated them yet but I think the 2 is around 18 degrees of loft which is beyond my normal limit.  I wonder if they made a 1-iron for this set?

And yes - there is quite a bit of offset.  More in the short irons than the long which seems weird to me.  Actually any offset seems weird to me and I don't like seeing it.  I hit these irons well so it doesn't seem to affect me much but the look bugs me.  I was thinking of bending them a few degrees weaker to try to lessen the look of the offset but I'm going to play them for a while first.

1 hour ago, elwhippy said:

Best of luck finding the sweet spots. These were seriously unforgiving. 

I've heard that about them.  Just looking at them is intimidating but I found them to be alright.  No worse than any of my other blade sets and better than some of them.  I've got some Haig's that are pretty hard to get along with and my Power-Bilt Grand Slams are downright unruly by comparison.  😁

God I love longer ferrule's on irons like those!  Those are great looking.  Modern irons have gotten so boring looking with short, stubby, all-black ferrules.

• Like 2

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

4 hours ago, Swingingk said:

Yes I was quite pleased to get the 2-iron with the set.  I doubt I'll play it in any serious way but I do like to have it just the same.  I haven't measured or manipulated them yet but I think the 2 is around 18 degrees of loft which is beyond my normal limit.  I wonder if they made a 1-iron for this set?

And yes - there is quite a bit of offset.  More in the short irons than the long which seems weird to me.  Actually any offset seems weird to me and I don't like seeing it.  I hit these irons well so it doesn't seem to affect me much but the look bugs me.  I was thinking of bending them a few degrees weaker to try to lessen the look of the offset but I'm going to play them for a while first.

I understand exactly what you mean about the 2i. I rarely bag one, but I like to have it.

I'm probably going to bend mine a degree or two weak as well, just to take out a little of the offset.

There was a 1-iron, and it had 17* of loft. The 2i should be 19*.

You can find specs for the TP-11 here. If you click on the blue stripe with TP-11 written on it, the specs will appear. I assume the specs were the same for the US model.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigarch said:

God I love longer ferrule's on irons like those!  Those are great looking.  Modern irons have gotten so boring looking with short, stubby, all-black ferrules.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I've got a set of Wilson Fg59's and they're absolutely beautiful heads but they put these stubby little ferrules on them which really just looks silly.  I'm thinking pretty seriously about getting some long BB&F ferrules like their 1958's on them.  

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I understand exactly what you mean about the 2i. I rarely bag one, but I like to have it.

I'm probably going to bend mine a degree or two weak as well, just to take out a little of the offset.

You can find specs for the TP-11 here. If you click on the blue stripe with TP-11 written on it, the specs will appear. I assume the specs were the same for the US model.

Well I guess I'll have to keep a lookout for the 1-iron.  The only thing I love more than a 1-iron is an entire 1-pw set.  😆

So you figure the TP-11 would have the same specs as the MP-9?  They sure do look similar.  If that's the case then bending them 2 degrees weaker would give me a 51 degree PW which I think would make a nice vintagey loft progression, less offset, and a bit more bounce - all of which sounds delicious.  That combined with the 1/2" over standard lengths should give me an overall 3/4" to 1" over length condition, considering that the PW would then essentially be a modern GW.  I'm really liking the sound of this!  I think I'll head out to the shop and bend an iron or two and see what things look like...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bigarch said:

Cell-Parts, Inc. here in beautiful Huntley, IL makes some gorgeous ferrules, don't they???

It was a very balmy 55° F today which  was 58° degrees warmer than the high of -3 last Friday, December 23rd.

• Like 3
CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

So I measured the specs on these irons and found them already bent about 2 degrees strong in the short irons, 1 degree strong in the mid irons, and basically stock in the long irons.  I went at them and changed the lot to 2 degrees weak over the whole set from factory TP-11 specs.  I went with the following numbers:

Pw - 51

9 - 47

8 - 43

7 - 39

6 - 35

5 - 31

4 - 27

3 - 24

2 - 21

As expected the offset looks better (less), the bounce increased (better for me as a "digger"), and the lofts are more traditional.  I'm very pleased with the results and am very excited to try them on green grass.  The only bummer is that I just received news that due to the current airline madness that's been happening my vacation has been canceled and I won't be going south with the family.  I guess I'll have to wait until spring to see the real results.  Oh well...  

The pictures show the 5-iron before and after as well as a shot out the front window of my house.  Winter for four more months.  Rats!

20221229_230414.jpg

20221229_230900.jpg

20221229_212621.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swingingk said:

Well I guess I'll have to keep a lookout for the 1-iron.  The only thing I love more than a 1-iron is an entire 1-pw set.  😆

So you figure the TP-11 would have the same specs as the MP-9?  They sure do look similar.  If that's the case then bending them 2 degrees weaker would give me a 51 degree PW which I think would make a nice vintagey loft progression, less offset, and a bit more bounce - all of which sounds delicious.  That combined with the 1/2" over standard lengths should give me an overall 3/4" to 1" over length condition, considering that the PW would then essentially be a modern GW.  I'm really liking the sound of this!  I think I'll head out to the shop and bend an iron or two and see what things look like...

Yep, MS/MP-9s were the US release of the TP-11s, and I'm pretty sure they have the same lie/lofts. I think Wayne Grady bagged the MS or MP-9s for his PGA Championship in 1990.

• Like 1

Great irons. Played them for years.  Very nice job on re-condition. They also made a 52 degree wedge and sand wedge that went with the set.

IMG-1338.jpg

IMG-1339.jpg

• Like 2

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

15 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

It's interesting how specs can be slightly different for different markets.  The specs I've seen for the MP-9/MS-9 sets showed an 18* 2i, and either a 47* or 48* PW (honestly don't remember).

It's the same with the specs you've found for the MS11/MP11 that you and I both own.  The specs you've found are different than those that Mizuno USA sent to me almost 20 years ago.

Side note:  I also bent my MS11s weaker, going 21-49 for 3-PW, but am toying with refitting them with graphite, and they'll probably get the 22-50 treatment.  <shrug>

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

For fun, I'll share what I got via email from Mizuno USA for the MS11 / MP11 set.  Brother Catchy has shared official specs that he'd acquired, which are slightly different.  It's something I find fairly interesting.  🙂

Also, I love the ASCII specs they sent me.  It *was* 2004, after all.   I changed the font to Courier New for the specs below, they seem to line up in columns a bit better.

Note the bounce.  It's something I've always liked about this set.

Thank you for contacting Mizuno USA.  Here are the MS-11 specs.
|------------+--------+-------------------------+--------+--------+-------|
|  RH only  | SW-D1  |Dynamic Gold - .355 taper|        |        |      |
|            |        |          tip          |        |        |      |
|MP 1990-1993|        |  Dynamic Gold  - .370  |        |        |      |
|            |        |      parallel tip      |        |        |      |
|MS 1989-1990|        |                        |        |        |  V  |
|            |        |                        |        |        |groove |
|  MS/P-11  | Length |          Loft          |  Lie  | Bounce |Offset |
|    1      |        |          15°          |  55°  |  1°  | .18"  |
|            |39.375" |                        |        |        |      |
|    2      | 38.875"|          18°          |  56°  |  4°  | .17"  |
|    3      | 38.375"|          21°          |  57°  |  5°  | .17"  |
|    4      |        |          24°          |  58°  |  5°  | .17"  |
|            |37.875" |                        |        |        |      |
|    5      |        |          27°          |  59°  |  5.5°  | .17"  |
|            |37.375" |                        |        |        |      |
|    6      |        |          31°          |  60°  |  5.5°  | .15"  |
|            |36.875" |                        |        |        |      |
|    7      |36.375" |          35°          | 60.5°  |  6°  | .15"  |
|    8      | 35.875"|          39°          |  61°  |  6°  | .15"  |
|    9      |        |          43°          | 61.5°  |  6°  | .15"  |
|            |35.625" |                        |        |        |      |
|    PW    |        |          48°          |  62°  |  7°  | .19"  |
|            |35.375" |                        |        |        |      |
|    FW    |35.125" |          52°          |  63°  |  9.5°  | .19"  |
|    SW    |35.125" |          56°          |  63°  |  11°  | .19"  |

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

6 hours ago, Woodridge said:

Say... that's really neat!  I've seen the sand wedge before but not the 52.  It has a nice clean look.

Can you imagine the whole 12 club 1-sw set in the bag with just a driver and putter?  How boss would that be?!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

For fun, I'll share what I got via email from Mizuno USA for the MS11 / MP11 set.  Brother Catchy has shared official specs that he'd acquired, which are slightly different.  It's something I find fairly interesting.  🙂

Also, I love the ASCII specs they sent me.  It *was* 2004, after all.   I changed the font to Courier New for the specs below, they seem to line up in columns a bit better.

Thanks for posting this - it IS interesting.  I wonder if they just bent them strong for the North American market or actually made different heads?  Also interesting are the bounce specs.  Mine are pretty bouncey now that I've weakened the lofts. 

I've always been confused by offset measurements.  Different manufacturers measure this spec differently it seems.  Funny that these specs are kind of all over the place offset-wise.

Edited by Swingingk

10 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Hang on, they're for the MS-11, right? The specs I listed are for the TP-11s, which were MS/MP-9s in the US market.

It's confusing. The TP-9s are MS-7s in the US, the TP-11s are MS/MP-9s, then at some point the numbers converged.

The MS/MP-11s appear to be slightly stronger lofted than the TP-11s (MS/MP-9s), with a 48* PW compared to a 49* PW.

For the record, I do not know for sure if the specs for the MS/MP-9s were the same as the TP-11s, but I think it is highly likely that they are.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Hang on, they're for the MS-11, right? The specs I listed are for the TP-11s, which were MS/MP-9s in the US market.

It's confusing. The TP-9s are MS-7s in the US, the TP-11s are MS/MP-9s, then at some point the numbers converged.

The MS/MP-11s appear to be slightly stronger lofted than the TP-11s (MS/MP-9s), with a 48* PW compared to a 49* PW.

For the record, I do not know for sure if the specs for the MS/MP-9s were the same as the TP-11s, but I think it is highly likely that they are.

I think I only created confusion there....

When I mention you having shared specs, I wasn't referring to this thread.  I'm remembering you and I posting about MS-11s or MP-11s at some point in the past few years, where the relative specs were slightly different.

I also freely admit I my memory could be misfiring.  🙂

21 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I think I only created confusion there....

When I mention you having shared specs, I wasn't referring to this thread.  I'm remembering you and I posting about MS-11s or MP-11s at some point in the past few years, where the relative specs were slightly different.

I also freely admit I my memory could be misfiring.  🙂

Ah, got it. Your memoryis at least better than mine, because I have no memory of posting about different MS-11 specs.

However....shaft lengths might be different on US and Japanese models. Most of my old Japanese Mizunos have a 37.5" 5-iron, whereas US models seem to have a 37.75" 5-iron, or thereabouts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Ah, got it. Your memoryis at least better than mine, because I have no memory of posting about different MS-11 specs.

However....shaft lengths might be different on US and Japanese models. Most of my old Japanese Mizunos have a 37.5" 5-iron, whereas US models seem to have a 37.75" 5-iron, or thereabouts.

FYI my 5-iron measures 38-1/2" now but was extended.  I didn't measure exactly how long the extension was before I put the new grip on but it was at least 1/2" so it seems to work out pretty close to a 37-3/4" original length.  The lofts I measured before I changed them were very close to what NRJyzr posted as USA specs.  Very close.  The 3 was 22 and the pw was 47. 

Edited by Swingingk

27 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

FYI my 5-iron measures 38-1/2" now but was extended.  I didn't measure exactly how long the extension was before I put the new grip on but it was at least 1/2" so it seems to work out pretty close to a 37-3/4" original length.  The lofts I measured before I changed them were very close to what NRJyzr posted as USA specs.  Very close.  The 3 was 22 and the pw was 47. 

I'll check the specs of my MS-9s when I get the chance. It'll probably be on the 3rd or 4th though, as New Year is a busy time here.

I have to say, the more I look at them, the more they grow on me. They have R300 shafts, and I'm not sure whether to reshaft them with longer, stiffer shafts (S300), extend them slightly, or just put on new grips and play them as they are.

Veering towards the last choice.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So we managed to re-book our canceled winter getaway and we made it down to Mexico but our baggage didn't arrive and my clubs are lost in transit.  I've been trying to locate them for two days but so far no dice.  I'm happy to be on the beach with my family but I'm bummed about my sticks.  First-world problems I know but still...  ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

So we managed to re-book our canceled winter getaway and we made it down to Mexico but our baggage didn't arrive and my clubs are lost in transit.  I've been trying to locate them for two days but so far no dice.  I'm happy to be on the beach with my family but I'm bummed about my sticks.  First-world problems I know but still...  ☹️

Ugh!  Don't give up hope!

• Thanks 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

Sorry to hear about the luggage thing, one of my worst fears about flying.  

Rent a set.  Guaranteed yours will be at the hotel after your round.  

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball