Ireland 2023 filling in the blanks

WRX’ers,

Making me first golf trip to Ireland in August 2023 and looking to fill in a couple days. Appreciate any insight.

We are a group of 6 - 3 younger guys including myself and 3 older - arriving in Dublin early Saturday and flying out 8 days later on Sunday. We have locked in 6 rounds for everyone, but the younger guys are looking for additional rounds on the arrival day and an off day. We are playing:

Saturday-arriving 9 AM and overnight Galway

Sunday- Connemara 

Monday- Galway golf club

Tuesday-Lahinch Old

Wednesday- Carne

Thursday- Enniscrone

Friday- off day (overnight in Westport)

Saturday - Rosses Point

Sunday - Dub to IAD

For the arrival day, Galway is about a 2.5 hour drive. Would Corballis and then drive be a good option? Or drive to Galway area and play Bearna? Looks like a pretty cool moorland course. Other ideas along the way? We went to Scotland a few years ago and did not play the first day (walked the old course), so I don’t know whether it’s better to play then drive or drive then play. 

We play Lahinch around 730am on Tuesday. Would it be worth driving down to Spanish Point to play 9 before heading up to Westport? Or am I asking for trouble trying to walk 27 at Carne the next day?

On Friday, I’ve read good things about Strandhill but Mulranny and Achill Island are much closer options. Is Strandhill worth the drive? Mulranny looks like an otherworldly experience a la Brora, Southerndown, Yelverton, RND (would love to see these someday).

Thanks for your insight. Think we have a great mix of courses lined up. 

Great trip! Corballis is a great option for the first round, however, after the red eye flight and playing there that 2hr drive to Galway will be tough. There are many great courses on the outskirts of Dublin that would be on your way:

Carton House

Luttrelstown Castle

Hermatige

Moyvalley

Any of these would be great courses and since they are on the way would cut a little time off the trip to Galway. On the off day for Friday you could add Ballinrobe, but chances are you’ll want to play either Carne or Enniscrone again then drive to Westport. The way your itinerary is set up, you’ll be doing lots of driving back and forth. Strandhill is ok, but after you play Carne and Enniscrone there is no doubt you’ll want to play them again. Carne is a hell of a walk, so I would skip Spanish Point. Not to mention you guys are going to be doing a ton of driving. Get your rest and enjoy trip. Don’t push it too much.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Let me preface this by saying I almost always take a red-eye  when I travel from the east coast of the U.S to GB or I. I take a benadryl, have a whiskey, put on some soft music and sleep most of the way. Upon arrival I go straight to a course, have a meal, play a round and go to bed early evening. It's a great way to get acclimated to the time difference. If all six of your group  were playing the day of arrival, I'd go for Corballis, The Island or Portmarnock. They are all close  (15-20 minutes) to Dublin airport, so really don't add a significant additional amount of driving to your trip. Corballis is one of the best bargains in Ireland. Portmarnock and The Island are two of the best links in Ireland and show how links in close proximity can be really different but still great. Portmarnock is pretty flat and doesn't have much eye candy, so is often not appreciated by visitors. However, it's a really good strategic course with great bunkering and greens. The Island has more photo ops and some very big Dunes. Those would be my top three in Dublin  The issue with playing one of these courses near Dublin airport, is what would the other three guys who are not playing do while you're playing?  Since only three of you are playing It's probably preferable to  drive to Galway, drop them off where you are staying and then the three others play near there. Bearna is a good choice. You can also look into Galway Bay.

On your open Friday I'd play Mulranny. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. We will have two vehicles, so that’s helpful for the guys who just want to get to Galway and relax. I looked at The Island and Portmarnock, but no times are available. I’ll check out the other places on the outskirts of Dublin, as well. I like the idea of Corballis, but I wouldn’t mind heading west first. 

It’s hard to beat the price, charm, and proximity of Mulranny on Friday. I know carne is booked solid for an event. Didn’t think about playing enniscrone twice but maybe their tee sheet will free up a bit closer to the date and we can keep our options open. Could we just leave the date open and walk onto Mulranny/Achill or will we need a time in advance?

thanks!

36 minutes ago, NOVAlars said:

Thank you for the thoughtful responses. We will have two vehicles, so that’s helpful for the guys who just want to get to Galway and relax. I looked at The Island and Portmarnock, but no times are available. I’ll check out the other places on the outskirts of Dublin, as well. I like the idea of Corballis, but I wouldn’t mind heading west first. 

It’s hard to beat the price, charm, and proximity of Mulranny on Friday. I know carne is booked solid for an event. Didn’t think about playing enniscrone twice but maybe their tee sheet will free up a bit closer to the date and we can keep our options open. Could we just leave the date open and walk onto Mulranny/Achill or will we need a time in advance?

thanks!

Baltray (County Louth) is right there near the airport and a great course.

If not, Carton House is 15-20 min from the airport and an easy jump back onto the motorway to head west after.  There is a great inland links the Monty course, or if you want to play a super parkland course with one of the best 3 hole stretches in Ire, then play the O'Meara course.

Edited by puttnforthe8
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, NOVAlars said:

thanks!

Corballis is so much fun to play and can’t be beat for value. Only thing to keep in mind is you’ll be exhausted after the red eye flight AND playing on not much sleep. It will make that 2.5 hour drive LONG. As much as I love Corballis, I would either make the drive over to Galway and play Galway Bay, or maybe stop halfway and play. Athlone is about half way, and a good parkland course right on Lough Ree. At €35 it’s also a great value as it’s in top condition. Then it’s just a little under an hour to Galway.

https://galwaybaygolfresort.ie/

https://www.athlonegolfclub.ie/

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 1/23/2023 at 9:59 AM, NOVAlars said:

thanks!

I was there in July and walked on to Mulranny no problem. Achill looked totally deserted when I drove past and I regret not playing it.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

We arrived home on Sunday. Thanks to everyone for their input. Here’s a quick trip debrief. 

Flight arrived in Dublin a bit later due to mechanical issues and rental car line was much longer than expected. Rather than play on the first day, we drove straight to Galway and arrived around 6pm. Hit some putts at Salthill and chatted up the pro before dinner. 

Sunday we played Connemara at noon. It was extremely windy according to the members. Front nine was a good introduction to links golf for some players and back nine was a level above due to elevation changes and natural features. Stretch from 13 home was particularly challenging and enjoyable. I played the extra 9 with my buddy while the other four headed back to Galway. 7-9 were a cut above and worked their way through the best land of the big course. Guinness 0 and seafood chowder were well-earned and devoured. 

Played Galway (Salthill) on Monday. Wind was up again and made the elevation changes and slick greens even more challenging. So

much for a parkland break from the links. Overall loved the course. Another solid chowder and Guinness 0. 

Tuesday was Lahinch at 730am. Wind up again. Absolutely loved the blend of quirky (dell, Klondyke) and championship (3, 7, 14) holes, and holes that did both well (6, 9, 13). Only complaint was penal rough just a yard or two off the fairway devoured tee shots. 

Three of us took advantage of glorious weather and went down to Spanish point for 9. Not consistently excellent but 1, 3, 7, 8, 9 were incredible, especially the views on the closing stretch. The lad behind the bar made us coffees and served up some pieces of pie on the house before we made the drive to Westport. Great spot!

Wednesday was lunar Carne. Met Tom Coyne on the first tee, as he was teeing off in the group behind. We played the wild Atlantic dunes 18. Wind was up again and it was a bit overwhelming, if stunning. Shot 50 on the opening 9, followed by 40 when I found my lunar legs. Played the other Hackett 9 in 40 with a triple on 8! A theme on this trip was the failure to avoid doubles and triples. Loved the Hackett 9’s rolling landscape and smaller scale after the WAD. 

Wednesday was Enniscrone Dunes. The group loved it. Even the flat holes had interesting features, whether it be a crumpled fairway, perched green. So

many memorable holes. Loved the variety of par 3s. 12 and 13 were class short 4s. The green on 14 was bonkers in a good way. And 15 was one of my favorite holes of the trip, although it sat lower in the dunes. What a green!

Thursday was the no tee time day. We all went to Mulranny and played 9. My buddy and I went around again in a pelting rain and wind, while the others had lunch on Achill. It was a tremendous, raw experience. Just had to golf your ball and figure out a way to get it in the hole. Loved every minute of it. Getting up and down after a driver and 3-iron into a hurricane on 7 (our 16th) was a highlight of the trip. After quick stops at the distillery and a crepe food truck on Keel beach, three of us played 9 at Achill. Not as strong as Mulranny but still an awesome experience in some gusty conditions. The turf was tight and greens undulating at both courses. 

Final round was Rosses Point. To me, although probably not the group, it was the pinnacle of the trip. It blended the best elements of the other courses. Tight turf, elevation changes, true greens, confounding green sites. Slight misses off the tee weren’t punished, except in pot bunkers, and misses into greens were summarily rejected. I loved this track, especially 4, 5, 7, 8, 11-17. 12!!  Of all the courses, I hope to make it back here, possibly the southernmost stop on a Portsalon, Rosapenna, gweedore, cruit, N&P, Murvagh itinerary. 

What a week! 162 holes walked, many miles driven, countless memories made

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, NOVAlars said:

We arrived home on Sunday. Thanks to everyone for their input. Here’s a quick trip debrief. 

Flight arrived in Dublin a bit later due to mechanical issues and rental car line was much longer than expected. Rather than play on the first day, we drove straight to Galway and arrived around 6pm. Hit some putts at Salthill and chatted up the pro before dinner. 

Sunday we played Connemara at noon. It was extremely windy according to the members. Front nine was a good introduction to links golf for some players and back nine was a level above due to elevation changes and natural features. Stretch from 13 home was particularly challenging and enjoyable. I played the extra 9 with my buddy while the other four headed back to Galway. 7-9 were a cut above and worked their way through the best land of the big course. Guinness 0 and seafood chowder were well-earned and devoured. 

Played Galway (Salthill) on Monday. Wind was up again and made the elevation changes and slick greens even more challenging. So

much for a parkland break from the links. Overall loved the course. Another solid chowder and Guinness 0. 

Tuesday was Lahinch at 730am. Wind up again. Absolutely loved the blend of quirky (dell, Klondyke) and championship (3, 7, 14) holes, and holes that did both well (6, 9, 13). Only complaint was penal rough just a yard or two off the fairway devoured tee shots. 

Three of us took advantage of glorious weather and went down to Spanish point for 9. Not consistently excellent but 1, 3, 7, 8, 9 were incredible, especially the views on the closing stretch. The lad behind the bar made us coffees and served up some pieces of pie on the house before we made the drive to Westport. Great spot!

Wednesday was lunar Carne. Met Tom Coyne on the first tee, as he was teeing off in the group behind. We played the wild Atlantic dunes 18. Wind was up again and it was a bit overwhelming, if stunning. Shot 50 on the opening 9, followed by 40 when I found my lunar legs. Played the other Hackett 9 in 40 with a triple on 8! A theme on this trip was the failure to avoid doubles and triples. Loved the Hackett 9’s rolling landscape and smaller scale after the WAD. 

Wednesday was Enniscrone Dunes. The group loved it. Even the flat holes had interesting features, whether it be a crumpled fairway, perched green. So

many memorable holes. Loved the variety of par 3s. 12 and 13 were class short 4s. The green on 14 was bonkers in a good way. And 15 was one of my favorite holes of the trip, although it sat lower in the dunes. What a green!

Thursday was the no tee time day. We all went to Mulranny and played 9. My buddy and I went around again in a pelting rain and wind, while the others had lunch on Achill. It was a tremendous, raw experience. Just had to golf your ball and figure out a way to get it in the hole. Loved every minute of it. Getting up and down after a driver and 3-iron into a hurricane on 7 (our 16th) was a highlight of the trip. After quick stops at the distillery and a crepe food truck on Keel beach, three of us played 9 at Achill. Not as strong as Mulranny but still an awesome experience in some gusty conditions. The turf was tight and greens undulating at both courses. 

Final round was Rosses Point. To me, although probably not the group, it was the pinnacle of the trip. It blended the best elements of the other courses. Tight turf, elevation changes, true greens, confounding green sites. Slight misses off the tee weren’t punished, except in pot bunkers, and misses into greens were summarily rejected. I loved this track, especially 4, 5, 7, 8, 11-17. 12!!  Of all the courses, I hope to make it back here, possibly the southernmost stop on a Portsalon, Rosapenna, gweedore, cruit, N&P, Murvagh itinerary. 

What a week! 162 holes walked, many miles driven, countless memories made

Thank you for that superb trip summary. You improvised very well and I can identify with so much of what you said.
Connemara - so windy but awesome. Lahinch just brilliant.

Carne other worldly.
Mulranny bleak and basic.

Achill - flat and remote 

Enniscrone - big dunes

Sligo - top class links

Well done - you will be back. Ireland gets to your soul. See you there!!

• Like 1