Suffering from mirroritis, going to the gym

platgof

18 minutes ago, againstthegrain said:

^^^That's hardcore.    

I know it seems like it but the truth is that it’s not a hard thing for me to do. It’s not something that requires discipline from me. I have zero desire/cravings for plant-based foods and actually have VERY strong cravings for meat and eggs, like I never had before.

Granted, it took some time. It wasn’t until I got down to <20% of my nutrition from carbs (and that was primarily green veggies, nuts, and the carbs in my protein shakes) that I lost the cravings and desire for them. Up until that point, it did take some will power for me to resist the temptations - the insulin effect can be quite strong.

Now, however, I’m actually quite surprised by how much I crave meat and eggs (and how totally uninterested in plant-based foods I am) and how much I look forward to my meals, even though I know it sounds like the same thing every time. I can only attribute it to how satiating and nutritious it is - must be my body telling me how much it enjoys the food that fuels it best??

15 hours ago, platgof said:

After reading all the comments, I need to go to the store and pick up some ice cream. I am finding I like the gym way more than golf. The gym is cheaper, even the deluxe plans, and the returns are way better. My body feels a lot better after the gym than it does after golf. 

How's the eating going?  (other than the ice cream)

On 3/8/2023 at 8:01 AM, againstthegrain said:

How's the eating going?  (other than the ice cream)

I eat whatever I want to. I figure that working out will take care of the rest. I actually have gained a few pounds, oops. I really enjoy going to the gym and working out. I have gone twice on a few days including today. Trying to hit the weights harder every now and then. I am heading to Sarasota next week, so need to go as much as possible.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Still going and usually twice a day. I noticed when I take my creatine/glucosamine mixed with Powerade, that I do not have the usual muscle aches later on. It really helps a lot. They have a back stretcher that I have been working hard at, like 120 lbs. and 100 reps. I still have the nagging right shoulder injury, like a high muscle sprain. This just showed up like 6 months ago. Being retired I have no excuse for not hitting the gym. I never realized how weak I was until I hit the machines. I hit the abs a lot, trying to get the gut to suck in. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

23 hours ago, platgof said:

Still going and usually twice a day. I noticed when I take my creatine/glucosamine mixed with Powerade, that I do not have the usual muscle aches later on. It really helps a lot. They have a back stretcher that I have been working hard at, like 120 lbs. and 100 reps. I still have the nagging right shoulder injury, like a high muscle sprain. This just showed up like 6 months ago. Being retired I have no excuse for not hitting the gym. I never realized how weak I was until I hit the machines. I hit the abs a lot, trying to get the gut to suck in. 

I am a couple years ahead of you so pls let me add a few suggestions based on my experience.  First thing is go get a physical, including a coronary calcium test, and  get clearance from doc to train.  Get a referral to a shoulder doc for an exam and get to the bottom of that issue.  Perhaps it's a muscle spasm, sprain, or even a torn rotator cuff (really common by age 60.)  Get the PT or operation as necessary.  ASAP hire a trainer perhaps 1x week for a 8-12 sessions to get you off the ground on the correct trajectory before you burn yourself out and give up.  Last is going to be your diet.  That will never change until your heart and mind WANT it to happen.  It can be worth seeing a dietician, but really won't be valuable until you're absolutely ready for it.

I'm retired for about 3 1/2 years now and about your age.  I spent 30 years on the rock pile and it took a huge toll on my body.  The damage doesn't/won't correct itself w out a lot of varied input, effort of all kinds, and it must be sustained.  To get anywhere near the most out of it will require more than the time in the gym.  

• Like 2

Being a retired aircraft structures mechanic, the toll from operating a rivet gun and bucking bars really had an "impact" on my shoulders, hands, and fingers; more especially. I enjoyed my work, but the fingers have all kinds of popping noise and a difficult time moving, stiff. Sitting on the couch and watching tv all day was getting old fast, that is when I visited Planet Fitness. I have 14 different exercises I am doing when I go, mainly high reps and low weight. My shoulders have gotten larger in just the two months I have been going. Starting to meet other retirees doing the same thing as myself, but not golf. One has been going for two years and you can tell. The diet will come soon enough as I get back to the green stuff. I find beans are great for the muscles, really helps for some reason. 

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another case of senioritis dumbass. I went to the gym and decided to leave the glucosamine and creatine at the house that I usually mix with the protein drink, and just bring water, dumb move. The second dumb move was to increase the weights and go for it!! This morning my neck and right shoulder was stiff as it could be!! I was getting a little ancy about getting stronger, and by increasing the weight too much was a big no no. Now I am nursing a sore neck and shoulder, going backwards instead of forward. I had no idea how much the protein drinks mixed with creatine and glucosamine were helping me. This will probably take a week to fix. Update; my game two-three weeks ago took a huge dive to the mid nineties, then a week ago shot down to 76, then 83. The power difference is finally showing up. So going to the gym is finally paying off huge! The biggest difference has been the fairway woods and I am also hitting the driver long and straight. Another bonus is my wedge game. This gym move is paying off huge dividends for me. Gotta thank Planet fitness for the great price.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

14 hours ago, platgof said:

Another case of senioritis dumbass. I went to the gym and decided to leave the glucosamine and creatine at the house that I usually mix with the protein drink, and just bring water, dumb move. The second dumb move was to increase the weights and go for it!! This morning my neck and right shoulder was stiff as it could be!! I was getting a little ancy about getting stronger, and by increasing the weight too much was a big no no. Now I am nursing a sore neck and shoulder, going backwards instead of forward. I had no idea how much the protein drinks mixed with creatine and glucosamine were helping me. This will probably take a week to fix. Update; my game two-three weeks ago took a huge dive to the mid nineties, then a week ago shot down to 76, then 83. The power difference is finally showing up. So going to the gym is finally paying off huge! The biggest difference has been the fairway woods and I am also hitting the driver long and straight. Another bonus is my wedge game. This gym move is paying off huge dividends for me. Gotta thank Planet fitness for the great price.

You'll be ok, the soreness is likely more from overdoing it than from not having the protein and supplements. Glucosamine and creatine are more cumulative supplements rather than ones that have an instant impact. So as long as you're consistently taking them every day they'll be working. Awesome you're seeing the positive effects of working out!

I reinjured some old injuries from a motorcycle crash years ago, and it has been rough. I am now slowing down but not stopping, as I went yesterday and today as well. I really enjoy going but will chill on pushing it hard for now. I think it is fun going and working out. Eventually I will overcome the injuries but need to be patient with it.

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 5 weeks later...

Feeling better, but the shoulder is still a mess, just not as bad. I am going to the gym when not playing golf. Had a fluke drive on hole # 11 and drove the green uphill. First time for that. I tried to push the weights at the gym, but they push back harder at my age, so I will chill on that and stay with light weights and more reps for now. It seems easier lately and may go to more reps.

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 3/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, johnrobison said:

I know it seems like it but the truth is that it’s not a hard thing for me to do. It’s not something that requires discipline from me. I have zero desire/cravings for plant-based foods and actually have VERY strong cravings for meat and eggs, like I never had before.

Granted, it took some time. It wasn’t until I got down to <20% of my nutrition from carbs (and that was primarily green veggies, nuts, and the carbs in my protein shakes) that I lost the cravings and desire for them. Up until that point, it did take some will power for me to resist the temptations - the insulin effect can be quite strong.

Now, however, I’m actually quite surprised by how much I crave meat and eggs (and how totally uninterested in plant-based foods I am) and how much I look forward to my meals, even though I know it sounds like the same thing every time. I can only attribute it to how satiating and nutritious it is - must be my body telling me how much it enjoys the food that fuels it best??

I'm going for a burger after reading this.

• Haha 1

Bag is in overhaul mode