Golf pants for bigger thighs

maeby

Bumping this cause as much as I hate to admit it fall is going to be approaching really fast and I need pants that fit. Just so happened caught an online flash sale on the Golf Town (Canada) website and saw some pants heavily discounted. Here is what I have coming to try: 

Original Penguin - The Performance Pant - If similar to my Callaway pants should be a solid fit. 

Travis Matthew - Open to Close - Been on my radar a while, cannot reject 30% off. 

RLX - Classic 5 Pocket, might be an older model, not sure on material but taking a chance since I should be able to return them but quite cheap. 

Will see what stays and what is returned, unfortunately they're all Khaki-ish color and I don't need 3 pairs of the same color but man it's hard finding my size in stock at times at stores. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Bill's Khakis.  Classic fit. Made in USA.  Heavy or lightweight material made to order.  Men’s Khakis – Khaki Pants – Bills Khakis

Epic Flash Driver 12deg Project X Even Flow 40

Epic Flash 3 wood 15deg Project X Even Flow 60

Epic Flash 5 wood 18deg Project X Even Flow 55

Epic Flash 7 wood 21deg Project X Even Flow 65

Epic Flash 5 hybrid 24 deg Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver

2019 Big Bertha OS irons 5-9 UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 460|F2

Callaway Jaws Raw 48deg Project X Catalyst Wedge

Equalizer II 52deg UST Recoil 760-F2/A-Flex

Sure Out 2 56deg UST Mamiya Wedge 65

Meridian Okatie putter

Alright the pants all arrived, tried on my initial thoughts on them. 

RLX Classic - A lot thinner and way more stretch than I expected them to have. Would honestly be nice for a really sunny day if you want to protect your legs. The one downfall is how thin they were, not trying to be TMI but you could see my black boxers kinda through the pants. These in black would probably be ideal, not writing off RLX just have to try different models the cut was nice. These will be returned I think.

Travis Matthew Open to Close - These I had the highest hopes for and I'm kinda disappointed in them. Nothing awful the waist size is snug like maybe 1/2 down than what's listed, the rise I also found them to be low and just didn't fit all that well for me, thighs were ok-ish a bit snug but it's what I deal with. Material is really nice, not a fan of the button on the waist, I might return these cause of the cost. 

Original Penguin Performance Pant - I was expecting these to be similar to my Callaway pants but was even more surprised. Material isn't too thick or thin, isn't "whoosy", a bit of stretch to them, fit was really nice, sat well, nice pockets. These are the clear winners for me, 1 minor knock is a permanent crease but I have to get them hemmed so may see if they can remove that. 

I think I'm going to try the Dunning pants after returning the RLX and TM pants, but will look into some more RLX pants as well.  

Lefty - WITB Thread

25 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Original Penguin Performance Pant - I was expecting these to be similar to my Callaway pants but was even more surprised. Material isn't too thick or thin, isn't "whoosy", a bit of stretch to them, fit was really nice, sat well, nice pockets. These are the clear winners for me, 1 minor knock is a permanent crease but I have to get them hemmed so may see if they can remove that. 

Are you talking about their Performance Golf Pant here?

https://www.originalpenguin.com/collections/golf-pants/products/performance-golf-pant-blue-ogbsc023su-417?nosto_source=cmp&nosto=264612316

23 minutes ago, MU Mike said:

Looks like it, I didn't buy it direct from them I got it from a golf shop but the material blend matches. Sucks they have like no sizes on their site. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 2 weeks later...

The Dunning fit!!! 

Got the Player Fit Woven that are on sale on their site. 

Material is light but not paper thin, stretches enough but doesn't hug the legs like tights so I can line up a putt without everyone seeing what I'm wearing underneath. 

Waist I'm between sizes now so just ordered up to match my shorts from Dunning. I might order the 5 pocket to try and for another color. Then what I have should last until next season when I'm hopefully another 2 sizes down. 

Funny enough Dunning their pants/shorts are awesome for me and the shirts awful. Where like Stitch is the complete opposite. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

• 5 weeks later...

It's officially fall tomorrow so pant season is either here or approaching for many of us. I had mined hemmed and have been wearing/playing in them this week, I kinda hate how when I sit the pant rides up my ankles but big thigh issue I guess. 

The Dunning are really, really comfortable pants like seriously guys look at these they're often on sale or had cheap. They do have a pleat which I know is an issue for some. The other pair Original Penguin are nice as well, a touch more stretch but a touch smaller on the thighs for me but I'm both very happy with both of these pants.

With that said I have a good amount of space in the waistband of both pants so I'm looking for pants the next size down, my issue like many others here are the thighs so I'm just scouring eBay for cheap pants ideally with returns accepted. But now being down 3-4 pant sizes many more brands are hopefully in play for me.

What I have headed my way: 

* Greyson Montauk

* Vineyard Vines On-The-Go Pants

* Another pair of Dunnings

What I'm on the look for:

* Peter Millar EB66

* Johnnie-O Cross Country 

Not sure what else to be on the lookout for. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Eb66 are too hot for me in summer.  Love PM but can’t do those pants.  

I do love the Vinyatd Vines pants.  They are my go-to.  Outlets have good prices on them too. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Tryed some pants a size down cause I'm in between sizes today. 

Adidas 360 in current size: fit nice on waisted, thighs be tight. 

Adidas 360 in size down: Quad sweep for days wouldn't be able to sit in them. 

PM EB66 in size down: lol no chance was painted on my claves and quads. Waist had no hope in these. 

Shame I guess the EB66 quality felt amazing. I wish they made pants with the same material of their Shackleford shorts. 

Will update on the others but will have to see if I fit right now. Maybe in a few weeks/month. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

DO NOT try Dunning.  Possibly some of the tightest thighs (I tried shorts) that I've every put on.  

Titleist TSR3 9 - Diamana GT 60 tx

Titleist TSi3 15 - Ventus Black 7x

Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 tx

Mizuno Pro 223 $ Taper HT 130x

Vokey SM7 50F, 55S KBS Hi Rev 2.0 135x

Vokey SM9 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125x

Ping PLD Kushin 4/TP Mills Dale/TP Mills Nellie

Pro V1

18 hours ago, hwwong said:

DO NOT try Dunning.  Possibly some of the tightest thighs (I tried shorts) that I've every put on.  

Seriously? Dunning are probably my favorite pants/shorts at the moment, played 18 in them yesterday, have no issues with thigh space.

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Seriously? Dunning are probably my favorite pants/shorts at the moment, played 18 in them yesterday, have no issues with thigh space.

Maybe their shorts are cut different than the pants?  They were basically biking shorts for me. 

• Haha 1

Pro V1

47 minutes ago, hwwong said:

Maybe their shorts are cut different than the pants?  They were basically biking shorts for me. 

Maybe older version? I'm wearing a pair as I type this and they're fine on the thighs. 

I find shorts are a good foreshadowing for the pants on how they fit. 

Edit: actually last line is a lie considering how Adidas and PM pants fit vs the shorts. 

Edited by MattM97

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Maybe older version? I'm wearing a pair as I type this and they're fine on the thighs. 

I find shorts are a good foreshadowing for the pants on how they fit. 

Edit: actually last line is a lie considering how Adidas and PM pants fit vs the shorts. 

Just tried them last month.  I have a smaller waist, so maybe my measurements were too far outside their patterns.

Pro V1

The PM Bingham pants are the best for me. They fit slim but are so damn stretchy they don’t feel tight.   Just hate paying for them at $185.  Not enough colors either.  

1 hour ago, hwwong said:

Just tried them last month.  I have a smaller waist, so maybe my measurements were too far outside their patterns.

That's fair the leg opening definitely changes with waist size. I'm still on the bigger end but will definitely have a ton of trouble in a year or so. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Some new pants showed up today: 

- Vineyard Vines OTG. These are a no go for me, the calves were snug and the thighs were worse. Shame cause usual VV quality and if you want a cotton blend these would be a good option. It's OK I'll rock the shirts and shorts and maybe sweaters if I can find one. 

- Greyson Montauk. These surprised me honestly cause they actually fit on the waist for being a size down than what I'm currently wearing and they were not overly snug. Material is interesting but stretchy but potentially see through if stretched enough. Honestly for what I paid I'll just keep them and just see how they fit as I continue to drop weight. I could see myself buying more if the price is right. 

Yeah so will see what I try next. Nice that ebay sellers are taking returns on almost everything these days. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Wow.  Now I’m having a hard time imagining….lol.  I love the VV OTG pants.  Some of my fave.  Don’t feel like cotton at all as I hate cotton. Good stretch and love their fit.  

1 hour ago, Minarets said:

Wow.  Now I’m having a hard time imagining….lol.  I love the VV OTG pants.  Some of my fave.  Don’t feel like cotton at all as I hate cotton. Good stretch and love their fit.  

Not sure if blend changed but ones u grabbed were like 65% cotton and 35% Elastine so won't really feel cotton like with that much Elastine in it. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Not sure if blend changed but ones u grabbed were like 65% cotton and 35% Elastine so won't really feel cotton like with that much Elastine in it. 

Yeah they are.  Was shocked they were cotton when I first bought them.   They feel like true performance pants.  Love them 

4 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Yeah they are.  Was shocked they were cotton when I first bought them.   They feel like true performance pants.  Love them 

These blends today are great honestly having full cotton or polyester is almost pointless unless the pants have other features. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I just received a pair of Bad Birdie's Quintero Golf pant. 8/8/10 the fit is amazing especially around the thighs, more room than any other golf pants I own. The pockets are lined with a stretchy mesh which allows for easier pocket access. Material of the pant's itself look to be durable in the long run, pant length is ideal for me as well but runs a bit longer. 

Definitely annoying to not fit standard sizes because of having a small waist with bigger thighs from lifting...

DIY tailoring with a sewing machine is the skill to have!  Just posted in a shirt thread about it.  Most of my pants and shorts I sized up to fit the thighs, then darted the waist to fit because scrunching it with a belt just doesn't work.  Opens up the clothes picking options without having to find specific brands or lines.  Lots of tutorials out there like this guy:

And yeah stretch is great.  Where was it in guy's jeans/dress/chino pants back in the day?

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

• 3 months later...

I am finding the Puma 5 pocket Dealer pants are working well for me (make sure to get the 5 pocket dealer ... not just the dealer, as the 5 pocket are more relaxed). I HAVE put on a little bit of weight but have always had a thicker butt, thighs and calves and these seem to work best for me so far. I keep returning to them.

Thanks all for the rest of the suggestions! I was wondering about the higher end pants but most of those seem to end up tapered or slim fitting, so this helps. Anything tapered tends to squeeze my calves too much (they are big even when I'm not carrying too much weight).

• 2 months later...
On 2/21/2023 at 9:31 AM, MU Mike said:

Great topic, and something I struggle with in all pant categories whether it be athletic, dress, or casual.

I have a slim waist but big a** and quads.  The struggle is real, especially when I want a slim fit and tapered leg.  It usually means buying a much bigger waist which then bunches up unfortunately because it's too big.

I have tried the Bonobos athletic fit and they're not bad, but would prefer a slightly more tapered leg.  I have a few Adidas 365 pants and I like the cut, but again had to buy a slightly bigger waist to make it work.

Appreciate the suggestions in this thread so far.

Did you find anything, by chance? I'm in the same boat -- muscular calves too.

Just ordered and received the True Links Chino and Hybrid Joggers. The fit through the thighs was too damn close to the skin. The pants were otherwise good, and was hopeful I could find something with a thigh pocket for my phone. But this is a no go.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X