Travis Mathew Ringer spiked shoe?

Z1ggy16

Didn't find any threads on this shoe, at least not recently. Rahm wears these and they have piqued my interest as this year I'm looking for a more comfortable shoe that still performs. Currently wear the all leather Tour 360.

Great reviews from what I've seen but I'm looking for something that has a bit more outsole/middle support but can still be used to walk 18.

I think I can get 20% off my first order so grabbing these for $160 seems like a decent deal if they fit right. 

So I ended up with a pair of these one day when I showed up for a round with my shoes sitting at home and these

were the ones the pro shop had in my size. I have probably a dozen pairs of shoes at this point and I would say these are the most unremarkable, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I have no real issues with any aspect of the shoes, but they also aren’t standout in any major way - when it’s wet and I want grip I’m usually grabbing my Adidas Tour360s, when I have a tough walk it’s Ecco, for hot days I love True… you get the idea…

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, jgallant415 said:

So I ended up with a pair of these one day when I showed up for a round with my shoes sitting at home and these

were the ones the pro shop had in my size. I have probably a dozen pairs of shoes at this point and I would say these are the most unremarkable, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I have no real issues with any aspect of the shoes, but they also aren’t standout in any major way - when it’s wet and I want grip I’m usually grabbing my Adidas Tour360s, when I have a tough walk it’s Ecco, for hot days I love True… you get the idea…

Yeah I don't think any one shoe is going to do everything perfect. I think comfort is pretty key because I'm walking most of my rounds but I can't walk in a floppy tennis shoe.

Is the shoe able to be twisted and folded a bunch in your hand? I've been advised to not use minimalist style shoes or shoes that twist and turn easily by hand. Need something relatively stiff. I'm generally not playing in super wet slippery conditions so I am willing to give up a touch of grip.

4 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Yeah I don't think any one shoe is going to do everything perfect. I think comfort is pretty key because I'm walking most of my rounds but I can't walk in a floppy tennis shoe.

Is the shoe able to be twisted and folded a bunch in your hand? I've been advised to not use minimalist style shoes or shoes that twist and turn easily by hand. Need something relatively stiff. I'm generally not playing in super wet slippery conditions so I am willing to give up a touch of grip.

It’s fairly flexible in the toe box, but doesn’t twist. It’s definitely not a minimalist shoe.

On a scale of Footjoy Premier to Nike Free TW '13, I'd put them in between but slightly closer to the Premier. Definitely a more athletic design than the ultra stiff/stable Premier, but not nearly as flexible/flopppy as the Free TW '13. I've had a white and black pair in my rotation for about 18 months and they've aged quite well.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

How are they for width? They do look potentially narrow in a few spots.

It's a weird shoe I don't know why I want to try even if they may kill my feet but I do. Probably should just buy a different brand on my end. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

29 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

It's a weird shoe I don't know why I want to try even if they may kill my feet but I do. Probably should just buy a different brand on my end. 

I don't think I even have a wide foot but I think my toe box area is wide compared to my heel. I've tried dozens of shoes over the years and I've never "loved" any shoes. Right now the winner this year is the FJ Fuel so far in terms of comfort and stability. No clue about traction though. They look kind of cheesey though and one of the courses I play is hilly, so I do worry about spikeless. 

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

They’re more narrow than my footjoy drytour tours and also my footjoy hyperflexes. The most narrow shoe for me so far has been the spikeless puma RS-G. So far the cuater ringer on the toe box is a bit more snug than the footjoys but no where close to the pumas. Traction is really good.

14 minutes ago, Skrimpdelite said:

They’re more narrow than my footjoy drytour tours and also my footjoy hyperflexes. The most narrow shoe for me so far has been the spikeless puma RS-G. So far the cuater ringer on the toe box is a bit more snug than the footjoys but no where close to the pumas. Traction is really good.

Exactly what I wanted to hear, won't work for me, well won't be comfortable to wear.

47 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I don't think I even have a wide foot but I think my toe box area is wide compared to my heel. I've tried dozens of shoes over the years and I've never "loved" any shoes. Right now the winner this year is the FJ Fuel so far in terms of comfort and stability. No clue about traction though. They look kind of cheesey though and one of the courses I play is hilly, so I do worry about spikeless. 

Sounds like True Linkwear may be good for your foot with the wide toe box. For me just a really wide and flat foot so not many options, seems like the best option for me is find a leather shoe that's just a hair too snug and just stretch them out so it fits like a sock.

Lefty - WITB Thread

16 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Exactly what I wanted to hear, won't work for me, well won't be comfortable to wear.

Sounds like True Linkwear may be good for your foot with the wide toe box. For me just a really wide and flat foot so not many options, seems like the best option for me is find a leather shoe that's just a hair too snug and just stretch them out so it fits like a sock.

the OG 2.1 fit great but I can't do minimalist footwear at this point in general and overall, I don't think it would help golf performance. The Lux Pro was shockingly tight for me in the toebox, not in a width sense but in a volume/height sense... it was a bit odd. I'm shocked to hear these fit more narrow than a FJ because in my experience, FJ (other than these Fuels) fit relatively narrow,  near the toes.

As long as I can get free returns, it's no risk to at least try these, but I'm about 10 seconds away from ordering some friggin Squarz.

10 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

the OG 2.1 fit great but I can't do minimalist footwear at this point in general and overall, I don't think it would help golf performance. The Lux Pro was shockingly tight for me in the toebox, not in a width sense but in a volume/height sense... it was a bit odd. I'm shocked to hear these fit more narrow than a FJ because in my experience, FJ (other than these Fuels) fit relatively narrow,  near the toes.

As long as I can get free returns, it's no risk to at least try these, but I'm about 10 seconds away from ordering some friggin Squarz.

Gotcha yeah I like/need the stability.

What about Payntr shoes? Those are also something I've wanted to try.

Lefty - WITB Thread

8 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

Gotcha yeah I like/need the stability.

What about Payntr shoes? Those are also something I've wanted to try.

Same but I can't find the ones MGS recommended anywhere.

This "perfect shoe" journey has reeeeallllyy made me consider seeing if it would be worth starting a golf shoe company because there's no way the mass population fits really well into these pointy toe shoes.

My hockey skates are "anatomical" fit and were done with a 3D scan. Expensive. Could skate in them all day long though. Easton skates were like this before Bauer bought them and it shocks me that any athletic shoe, etc would be shaped like a dress shoe at this point. I know Ecco  are more anatomical but they still didn't fit me well.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Same but I can't find the ones MGS recommended anywhere.

This "perfect shoe" journey has reeeeallllyy made me consider seeing if it would be worth starting a golf shoe company because there's no way the mass population fits really well into these pointy toe shoes.

My hockey skates are "anatomical" fit and were done with a 3D scan. Expensive. Could skate in them all day long though. Easton skates were like this before Bauer bought them and it shocks me that any athletic shoe, etc would be shaped like a dress shoe at this point. I know Ecco  are more anatomical but they still didn't fit me well.

I'm in the same boat, I've thought about making shoes and clothing for people not built like PGA golfers. Clothing is easier, shoes could be a bit of a challenge depending on tech and process. Until then like you just buying and trying so many, the FJ Tour X were perfect for me but now it's the Alpha which I need to try.

As for the Payntr's ever email them and ask?

I know the hockey skate issue, I should have bought Reebok way back before they got bought out by CCM. I haven't been on ice in forever but I know for sure I cannot lace up my old Bauer's without my feet being in utter agony, I'm also too fat but that's another issue lol.

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 2/23/2023 at 12:41 AM, bunta said:

i tried on the TM Moneymaker other day. Man they were comfortable. But the width was what stopped me from walking out with them. I wanted to love it. Does TM have a narrow fit in general ??

Welp, I tried a pair of Ringers today and LOL these are one of the most narrow shoes I've EVER tried on. These rival my old Roshe Tour G shoes in terms of how stuffed my feet were in these things. And I DON'T qualify as a wide foot person - years of hockey have told me I had a relatively normal width foot... I have never ever once fit into the "wide" fit hockey skates (Nexus from Bauer, if anyone here reads this and knows Hockey gear, I've always used the Vapor line up until recently).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread despite writing off these shoes, I've been on a shoe hunt this year, I'm on my 6th different shoe model. I've been hunting for something that does everything comfortably or at least doesn't tear my feet up or make them go numb after a round. 

Despite my hesitation with Cuater shoes lacking wide options they are wider than I expected and they actually have a very wide toe box, not like True Linkswear OG wide but way, way wider than FJ options. The other thing with Cuater shoes is that their inserts are thicker than any insert I've ever seen. They keep talking cushion but they do it with the insert which kills the fit for many. 

I saw the Ringer at a local golf shop, tried my normal 11.5 and 12 with their normal insert and definitely no on the 11.5 and the 12 is snug, yanked the inserts and a ton more room in both but wasn't sure if going true to size would be better or size up a bit for extra width but the price was stopping me. But lo and behold the golf gods were looking at me cause the next day a pair in size 12 popped up on a local golf page cheap so bought them to try. 

They arrived last night, threw in an extra pair of insoles that were much smaller and decided to cut the grass in them (yes had to clean grass stains off them after) and no real issues that I saw walking in them for 20min. But I'll put them to the test tonight walking 18 holes in them. 

Will they be a good fit or just another notch in my belt this year? 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Walked 18 in The Ringer's last night, not a long walk but still in them almost 4 hours moving around. I think the size I got (size 12) is the right size but was fiddling a bit to get the tightness I like when lacing them up. I didn't have any slippage so that's a bonus, may just have to get used to a slightly loose feel, I don't know if an 11.5 would be better for me or be too tight. I did lace them up a bit tighter on the last 9 holes but may have been too much, I'll find that Goldilocks range soon. 

I didn't have any rubbing or at least felt it, no hot spots, plenty of space after putting in a pair of SuperFeet Flex Thin in them, no heel rub that was locked in pretty well. I don't have the ankle rub on my right ankle like I do with the Cuater Legend's so that's a bonus for me. Overall I enjoyed them, not perfect for me but my toes were not crushed like in FJ Premiers, width was actually fine, no hot spots or blisters and my feet are not sore after walking 18 holes. That's really all I can ask for right now as it's crazy how many shoes I've tried this year.

I'm not going to say these are the best shoes ever but I'm definitely going to wear them more, maybe keep an eye out for a cheap 11.5 but if not keep using these until I wear them down, don't like them or find something better for me. I wished these were a bit cheaper but whatever they have sales often can grab more then. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

OK I'm 3-4 rounds in and 1 range session with these shoes. All of which have been a bit damper than normal. 

Up to this point I have no major issues or complaints with these shoes. I have walked 2 rounds and I am not a small person. My feet were not sore which is good cause I can walk more rounds and be less large. 

I did mention I felt the 12s were a touch big but no hot spots or blisters from them. If I did tighten them got a bit of squeezing up top by my ankle but minor issue. I'll try an 11.5 to combat this. 

The biggest plus I have with these is the toe box, it's wide, I can wiggle my toes. Not like True Linkswear OG wide but way more space than most shoes and my toes love it. 

Waterproof wise no issues, traction is good on softer ground especially with me moving in the swing. 

Construction will see how they hold up over time but I think they'll last. 

My one negative is I got the white ones and they stain a bit, not too hard to clean but that's all white shoes that are not full grain leather. 

With that said will grab an 11.5 to try. Going to sell my FJ shoes as they crush my toes despite my love for their stability. I'll pretty much wear Cuater shoes until they suck. 

I am also not affiliated Cuater or Travis Matthew. I have reviewed this shoe and The Legend a bunch but just because they lack reviews. I've also been on a shoe hunt the past 2 years that allow me to play more golf. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 7/7/2023 at 6:44 PM, MattM97 said:

OK I'm 3-4 rounds in and 1 range session with these shoes. All of which have been a bit damper than normal. 

Up to this point I have no major issues or complaints with these shoes. I have walked 2 rounds and I am not a small person. My feet were not sore which is good cause I can walk more rounds and be less large. 

I did mention I felt the 12s were a touch big but no hot spots or blisters from them. If I did tighten them got a bit of squeezing up top by my ankle but minor issue. I'll try an 11.5 to combat this. 

The biggest plus I have with these is the toe box, it's wide, I can wiggle my toes. Not like True Linkswear OG wide but way more space than most shoes and my toes love it. 

Waterproof wise no issues, traction is good on softer ground especially with me moving in the swing. 

My one negative is I got the white ones and they stain a bit, not too hard to clean but that's all white shoes that are not full grain leather. 

With that said will grab an 11.5 to try. Going to sell my FJ shoes as they crush my toes despite my love for their stability. I'll pretty much wear Cuater shoes until they suck. 

I am also not affiliated Cuater or Travis Matthew. I have reviewed this shoe and The Legend a bunch but just because they lack reviews. I've also been on a shoe hunt the past 2 years that allow me to play more golf. 

I’ve tried these and didn’t mind them but ultimately the heel cushion ripped and returned them after two months of intense use.  I have been on a similar hunt for the perfect walkers shoe - I have sensitive flat feet on the wider side and prone to Achilles blisters. 

so far I’ve tried puma ignite, premiers , hyper flex carbons, cuater, alpha tour, Payntr and none of them worked.  The zg23 from adidas has been delightful to walk in and checks every box for me.  I don’t need a wide but would advise trying wide as they are slightly narrow. I have the Nike zoom victory tour 3 coming today so excited to try them on the course this weekend

TM 2024 BRNR Mini 11.5 Kai'li

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degree, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degree 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degree

T100 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Vokey SM10 50(f), 55(s), 60(m)

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

11 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

I’ve tried these and didn’t mind them but ultimately the heel cushion ripped and returned them after two months of intense use.  I have been on a similar hunt for the perfect walkers shoe - I have sensitive flat feet on the wider side and prone to Achilles blisters. 

so far I’ve tried puma ignite, premiers , hyper flex carbons, cuater, alpha tour, Payntr and none of them worked.  The zg23 from adidas has been delightful to walk in and checks every box for me.  I don’t need a wide but would advise trying wide as they are slightly narrow. I have the Nike zoom victory tour 3 coming today so excited to try them on the course this weekend

You're talking like inside the shoe? I'll be sure to keep an eye on that myself but so far no issues I've seen. 

Yeah it's getting annoying how hard it is to find a comfortable golf shoe these days with how many brands are out there. I should start my own at this point to get what I want. 

As for Adidas I was looking at the ZG23 a bit but I've had bad luck with Adidas recently, they changed the heel and it just tears my Achilles up. I used to wear Adidas a ton in other sports but don't bother with them anymore. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

You're talking like inside the shoe? I'll be sure to keep an eye on that myself but so far no issues I've seen. 

Yeah it's getting annoying how hard it is to find a comfortable golf shoe these days with how many brands are out there. I should start my own at this point to get what I want. 

As for Adidas I was looking at the ZG23 a bit but I've had bad luck with Adidas recently, they changed the heel and it just tears my Achilles up. I used to wear Adidas a ton in other sports but don't bother with them anymore. 

Yes the cushioning inside the heel ripped from friction.  This same thing happened to me with the zg21 from adidas too which sucks because it was otherwise a perfect shoes.  The zg23 seems to have solved this issue with improved cushioning(I read other reviews on the zg21 and this happened to a bunch of people).  I can’t recommend the 23s enough man try them out, they recently went on sale too.  The Nike zvt3 just arrived and first try on is promising, I’ll report back!

• Like 1

TM 2024 BRNR Mini 11.5 Kai'li

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degree, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degree 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degree

T100 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Vokey SM10 50(f), 55(s), 60(m)

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

3 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

Yes the cushioning inside the heel ripped from friction.  This same thing happened to me with the zg21 from adidas too which sucks because it was otherwise a perfect shoes.  The zg23 seems to have solved this issue with improved cushioning(I read other reviews on the zg21 and this happened to a bunch of people).  I can’t recommend the 23s enough man try them out, they recently went on sale too.  The Nike zvt3 just arrived and first try on is promising, I’ll report back!

Good to know I may keep an eye out on the Adidas Canada site, our local golf chain here dropped the price on the ZG23 by $100 for a sale but they don't carry the wide fit so SOL but have spent too much on shoes lately. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 7/7/2023 at 5:44 PM, MattM97 said:

I’ve been wearing these this season as well and I like them. 
I get a ton of compliments on them 

they don’t have the most cushion compared to other shoes I’ve owned but I noticed that I don’t really think about my feet when wearing them. And that’s a good thing 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Unteachable said:

I’ve been wearing these this season as well and I like them. 
I get a ton of compliments on them 

they don’t have the most cushion compared to other shoes I’ve owned but I noticed that I don’t really think about my feet when wearing them. And that’s a good thing 

No compliments yet but I don't mind them having not as much cushion. They are firm but supportive and my feet have yet to be tired or sore in them. 

I found an 11.5 on sale locally and grabbed them. Threw in an insole and walked 9 today with them and zero issues so quite happy, I've found my shoe. 

Now their Legend shoe has a bit more cushion and now I'm curious to try them in an 11.5 instead of 12 so will be looking for a cheap used pair cause I really like the look of those. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

I was gifted these and I really wanted to like these as they seemed like a nice blend of casual looks with performance, but they were just too narrow. I have wider feet but not a wide in any other shoe brand.

When I went to return them I noticed the glue connecting the shoe to the sole had melted and turned the bottom of the shoe yellowish. Quality control issue as well.

The search continues.