2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2023 Solheim Cup (Sep 22-24)

18majors

21 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

OK, what championship did they win?  Just because they hand out a trophy at the end does not make it a championship.  This is like the Laver Cup in tennis.  You take a randomly sequestered group of players and pit them against another randomly sequestered group of players.  There is no qualifying to get a team into this event, and the home team has a lot of say in how the competition will play out.  While you have a decent idea of who will play for the championship in other sports, they have to win their way there.  The US plays against Europe in this event no matter what happens.  If it were a championship, the Koreans or Thais would have an opportunity to compete.  

The President's Cup is the same thing.  People like to say "it exists to give people from outside of Europe a chance to play in a Ryder Cup type event."  No, it was created so the PGA Tour could cash in on the Ryder Cup interest before someone else did, and if segregating teams by righties vs lefties instead of US vs Internationals would bring in more money, the format would change in a heartbeat.    

And by group of people I was referring to the suits behind the scenes, not the players.    But it's not a championship, it's an event organized by US LPGA people and European LET people.   Nothing more, nothing less.

We can agree to disagree I guess. The bottom line to me is that a championship is any contest which determines the best in a particular sport or competition, or a competition that decides who is the best. In my book and in this case this is an international contest between Europe and the USA. You can call it what you want but I think you are just arguing semantics at that point.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

OK, what championship did they win?  Just because they hand out a trophy at the end does not make it a championship.  This is like the Laver Cup in tennis.  You take a randomly sequestered group of players and pit them against another randomly sequestered group of players.  There is no qualifying to get a team into this event, and the home team has a lot of say in how the competition will play out.  While you have a decent idea of who will play for the championship in other sports, they have to win their way there.  The US plays against Europe in this event no matter what happens.  If it were a championship, the Koreans or Thais would have an opportunity to compete.  

A nicer way of putting it is this is like when florida plays georgia in college football. yeah some years florida sucks coming in and some years georgia is rebuilding but in general a good time is had even though some fans take it way to seriously.

Edited by jimecherry
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

We can agree to disagree I guess. The bottom line to me is that a championship is any contest which determines the best in a particular sport or competition, or a competition that decides who is the best. In my book and in this case this is an international contest between Europe and the USA. You can call it what you want but I think you are just arguing semantics at that point.

do you consider the nba allstar game a championship?

Edited by jimecherry

49 minutes ago, jimecherry said:

A nicer way of putting it is this is like when florida plays georgia in college football. yeah some years florida sucks coming in and some years georgia is rebuilding but in general a good time is had even though some fans take it way to seriously.

But at least Florida playing Georgia is part of a bigger picture, ie. the SEC.   This is more like Florida scheduling a game against Western University in Canada, and they are going to play each year and hand out a trophy.   

On 9/25/2023 at 10:27 AM, heynow said:

Solheim Cup is great, but I feel that it's gotten a bit antiquated. 

When it started over 30 years ago,  it was safe to assume that with the top women golfers from the US and Europe, that people would be watching pretty much all the best female players in the world (of course with a few exceptions).

In the past 10-15 or so years,  the huge rise in the quality of many many many players from the rest of the world especially the continent of Asia,  it seems that this format needs to change.  

Perhaps if there's enough interest,  maybe the the winning team from the Solheim should then play an international team (like the President's Cup team). 

Men's golf has the President's Cup.   For the ladies, an international team like the President's cup is a scary good team.   Maybe somehow this can get incorporated for the women.

This year's winning European team is great,  but I think we all know that a ladies team even just from the continent of Asia (we know the names) would be favored over the European or US teams.

Agree, I asked in an earlier post wondering if it’s feasible to have a 3 team Solheim Cup competition. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 11:27 PM, heynow said:

Solheim Cup is great, but I feel that it's gotten a bit antiquated. 

When it started over 30 years ago,  it was safe to assume that with the top women golfers from the US and Europe, that people would be watching pretty much all the best female players in the world (of course with a few exceptions).

In the past 10-15 or so years,  the huge rise in the quality of many many many players from the rest of the world especially the continent of Asia,  it seems that this format needs to change.  

Perhaps if there's enough interest,  maybe the the winning team from the Solheim should then play an international team (like the President's Cup team). 

Men's golf has the President's Cup.   For the ladies, an international team like the President's cup is a scary good team.   Maybe somehow this can get incorporated for the women.

This year's winning European team is great,  but I think we all know that a ladies team even just from the continent of Asia (we know the names) would be favored over the European or US teams.

17 minutes ago, Donovan84 said:

Agree, I asked in an earlier post wondering if it’s feasible to have a 3 team Solheim Cup competition. 

i think that USA vs "Rest of the world" competition = fulfilled via the International Crown biennial event? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Crown 

LPGA-Hanwha-International-Crown_Thailand-Champions-ceremony_AdobeExpress.gif.420fce5dac3cf856fca89f0f12b75529.gif

Edited by JungleJimbo

2 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

i think that USA vs "Rest of the world" competition = fulfilled via the International Crown biennial event? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Crown 

LPGA-Hanwha-International-Crown_Thailand-Champions-ceremony_AdobeExpress.gif.420fce5dac3cf856fca89f0f12b75529.gif

International Crown is fine, but 4 player teams is so much different. Imagine three 12 member teams. Again not sure if a 3 team tournament is feasible. Originally I was going to include Australia with Asia. However, it would make that team too strong. Solely based on world rankings, here is an example:

Team America’s:

Lilia Vu

Nelly Korda

Allisen Korpuz

Brooke Henderson

Megan Khang

Lexi Thompson

Jennifer Kupcho

Ally Ewing

Rose Zhang

Angel Yin

Danielle Kang

Andrea Lee

Team Europe/Middle East/Africa/Australia 

Celine Boutier

Minjee Lee

Lydia Ko

Charley Hull

Linn Grant

Georgia Hall

Leona Maguire

Ashleigh Buhai 

Hannah Green

Carlotta Ciganda

Anna Nordqvist

Maja Stark

Team Asia

Rouning Yin

Jin Young Ko

Hyo-Joo Kim

Atthaya Thitikul 

Xiyu Lin

Ji Yai Shin

Nasa Hataoka

Ayaka Furue

Miyu Yamashita

Yuma Saso

Ingee Chun

Minji Park

Edited by Donovan84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Donovan84 said:

International Crown is fine, but 4 player teams is so much different. Imagine three 12 member teams. Again not sure if a 3 team tournament is feasible. Solely based on world rankings, here is an example:

Team America’s:

Lilia Vu

Nelly Korda

Allisen Korpuz

Brooke Henderson

Megan Khang

Lexi Thompson

Jennifer Kupcho

Ally Ewing

Rose Zhang

Angel Yin

Danielle Kang

Andrea Lee

Team Europe/Middle East/Africa/Australia 

Celine Boutier

Minjee Lee

Lydia Ko

Charley Hull

Linn Grant

Georgia Hall

Leona Maguire

Ashleigh Buhai 

Hannah Green

Carlotta Ciganda

Anna Nordqvist

Maja Stark

Team Asia

Rouning Yin

Jin Young Ko

Hyo-Joo Kim

Atthaya Thitikul 

Xiyu Lin

Ji Yai Shin

Nasa Hataoka

Ayaka Furue

Miyu Yamashita

Yuma Saso

Ingee Chun

Minji Park

@Donovan84 cool... appreciate your effort w.r.t. enabling this discussion, with the example.

FWIW... i'd put Australia together with Asia... but agree with you w.r.t. "Team Americas"

(albeit the name reminded me of this terrible movie from circa 2004).

Team America: World Police (2004) - IMDb

• Like 1

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

5 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Seems like there's still some back-and-forth amongst the twitterati.

image.png

I have blocked Handicap 54 since he kept insisting on Hideki moving to LIV and it was a certainty based on his sources blah blah blah, after Hideki said he was staying put, this same person insisted that it was still not final and that his sources said blah blah blah... net, waste of my time so blocked.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Seems like there's still some back-and-forth amongst the twitterati.

image.png

I choose to look at this in this way (based on the limited knowledge I have): 

If I recall correctly, Celine wasn't satisfied with her own play in the 2021 cup. Europe just lost the session 4-0, if Celine wanted to shake things up and switch patners from a competitive standpoint (a golf related standpoint) , I have no problem with it.

I also recall the alleged Brooks/DJ dust up being reported as non golf related. 

Georgia and Celine are both ADP Ambassadors and they were smiling and friendly a month ago in an interview. There's no indication of anything negative between Celine and Leona. 

So if this was a competitive fire situation with a slight panic, needing to be reassured by the team captain, then to me it's perfectly fine.

• Like 2

Mollie is right, it's time to be aggressive; sitting around to wait for sponsor's money is just part of it:

LPGA Tour actively seeking investment following Ryder Cup and Solheim Cup drama

"As such, the LPGA is keen to take advantage of the growth in popularity the sport is enjoying, with the FT further reporting the organisation’s commissioner, Mollie Marcoux Samaan, confirming that a “strategic planning partner” would soon be appointed to oversee opportunities around external investment. That comes on the back of a commercial partnership agreed two months ago with the owners of Liverpool FC and the Boston Red Sox, Fenway Sports Group."

• 3 weeks later...