Shotscope X5

On 4/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, Retrop1 said:

I guess this is a double circle back? Anyway, 

I am thinking of retracting this statement as my X5 is currently not even picking up sattelite connection. The last 2 rounds it has “timed out” after looking for the connection for up to 10 minutes. I live on a totally different golf course and tried it in my yard as well and nothing. I have done the whole power down, power up drill. It is fully charged when trying, and the firmware is up to date. Shotscope support hopefully can give me a fix, but very frustrated with it.

It is a real shame because I think (when it works), the system is great. The online portal gives me an easy look at my stats how I want to see them, and I have gotten used to editing rounds pretty quickly.

Latest firmware seems to fix the problem for now. Going to test again today. I really hope we are near the end of the constant firmware updates in order to keep the system working. The time I have spent so far updating and frustrated trying to get it to work is worth more than I paid for the X5, but I am choosing to remain hopeful. 

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 AltaCB 55 stiff, flat setting

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, Tensei Blue 65 stiff, C1 setting

Titleist TSR3 21*, HZRDUS Black 6.0, D1 setting

Titleist TSR3 24* HZRDUS Black 6.0, C1 setting

Titleist T150 5-9, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T
TM Spider Tour for now.......

Ball ProV1x

On 5/2/2023 at 6:57 PM, chris1967 said:
I've tapped out and asked for a working replacement (which I'm not sure Shot Scope can provide) or a refund. We'll see what happens.

Today, after updating to firmware v. 2.0.9.0, I went out for a 9 hole league match. Very similar results to my second round -- the watch worked as intended for four holes, then stopped displaying the club selection, although the GPS kept displaying yardages. I was able to download the round data afterwards, and it was bizarre -- either skipping shots completely or recording clubs I never used.

For instance, on the last par 5, I played driver/3wd/PW, and it recorded driver/8i/3hybrid. WTF? The 8 iron and 3 hybrid never even came out of the bag.

The crown (again) stopped working, and (again) when I tried to power it off after the round, I couldn't -- I got the haptic "buzz" for 20 sec. or so, then it reverted to the menu -- so I guess I just have to wait for the battery to die before I can restart it.

I'm out of patience.

I'm not at the point of quitting, but I too am experiencing these issues (missed clubs, phantom shots.)  Contacted support and did some testing for them on tags, they have been responsive. Given the amount of effort they put in to fix GPS issues, I assume they will fix this as well, but the roll out has definitely been shaky.

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

On 5/2/2023 at 8:57 PM, chris1967 said:

Very similar results to my second round -- the watch worked as intended for four holes, then stopped displaying the club selection, although the GPS kept displaying yardages. I was able to download the round data afterwards, and it was bizarre -- either skipping shots completely or recording clubs I never used.

Very similar experience today. Worked great through 15, then on 16 I wanted to check how far I hit my drive and Last Shot showed "0". From that point on, missed shots, shots placed in strange locations, different clubs than what I used, including clubs not even in My Bag. I got home and wanted to swap wedges and tried to use the Read Tags function, and it would not read any tags, new or old, no matter the club. I did a hard reset and then the Tag reading function worked like it should, displaying each tag found.

3 hours ago, phil75070 said:

Very similar experience today. Worked great through 15, then on 16 I wanted to check how far I hit my drive and Last Shot showed "0". From that point on, missed shots, shots placed in strange locations, different clubs than what I used, including clubs not even in My Bag. I got home and wanted to swap wedges and tried to use the Read Tags function, and it would not read any tags, new or old, no matter the club. I did a hard reset and then the Tag reading function worked like it should, displaying each tag found.

The consistency in malfunctions is troubling, particularly given the merry-go-round of firmware updates. Makes me wonder whether the device itself is flawed, and they're desperately trying to find a firmware patch to keep it at least partially functional and avoid a wholesale recall. From a brand perspective, seems like they're taking some huge reputational risks.  

Anyway, after reporting the latest issues to Customer Support, they apologized, essentially asked for proof of purchase, and promised to ship me a replacement. No timeline offered, so we'll see what happens. 

I think I am am going back to my V3. When I first got the watch I had some sketchy rounds with it, then some firmware updates and I had about three trouble free rounds. Before my round today I updated to another latest firmware. I use manual putting. Front 9 was fine but back 9 always said ‘2’ for putts before I even entered the putts. There was only the ‘plus’ sign to add putts. There was no ‘minus’ to subtract them. The only thing I could do was Pin Collect. I looked after syncing the round and back 9 had two 1ft putts for every hole, which was not accurate at all. 

I do have hope for X5 but I feel like they were behind schedule on release for 2023 season and just rushed it out. I never once had any issues with the V3. I’m going to set the X5 aside until the 2024 season. Maybe the bugs will be worked out by then. 

14 hours ago, Sp4zRX said:

I think I am am going back to my V3. When I first got the watch I had some sketchy rounds with it, then some firmware updates and I had about three trouble free rounds. Before my round today I updated to another latest firmware. I use manual putting. Front 9 was fine but back 9 always said ‘2’ for putts before I even entered the putts. There was only the ‘plus’ sign to add putts. There was no ‘minus’ to subtract them. The only thing I could do was Pin Collect. I looked after syncing the round and back 9 had two 1ft putts for every hole, which was not accurate at all. 

I do have hope for X5 but I feel like they were behind schedule on release for 2023 season and just rushed it out. I never once had any issues with the V3. I’m going to set the X5 aside until the 2024 season. Maybe the bugs will be worked out by then. 

Mine had the issue between the 2 x 9 holes and it turned out that I had only selected 9 holes to start with (not the full 18). When I finished hole #9, it moved to #10 and asked if I wanted to continue. I think it stops tracking correctly for some reason if you only do 9 & 9 instead of 18 (if that makes sense?!)

5 hours ago, phil75070 said:

After my experience with the X5 yesterday, I went back to my old reliable V3 for my round today and will stick with it until the X5 issues get totally worked out.

I’m with you. I used the V3 today and didn’t think about the watch once. I wasn’t fiddling with it at all which is what I like. It tracked all my shots. No issues.  V3 for me until next season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Teebs said:

Mine had the issue between the 2 x 9 holes and it turned out that I had only selected 9 holes to start with (not the full 18). When I finished hole #9, it moved to #10 and asked if I wanted to continue. I think it stops tracking correctly for some reason if you only do 9 & 9 instead of 18 (if that makes sense?!)

yes, that makes since because the course I played is a 27 hole course and the only way to use the watch is select which 9 is the front 9, then at the end of the front, it asks you if you are playing another 9, then you select which 9 is the back. So yes, same scenario. 

On 4/24/2023 at 2:40 PM, KBAZ said:

I really want to like this gps watch but it's not off to a good start. My very first time using it today and the top button just fell off on the putting green while warming up. Fortunately I noticed it and was able to pick it up and not lose it. It looks to be held in place by two rubber o-rings on the post of the button, which doesn't seem like a very robust solution. I won't be surprised to see more reports of this button coming off when worn.

With the latest firmware (.84), it spontaneously quit tracking shots mid round and went into watch mode. Had to restart the tracking but that split the results into two partial rounds in the dashboard.

Here’s my update. Shotscope support responded promptly and sent me out a replacement that arrived this morning. Upon unboxing the new watch I plugged it in to charge it up. The watch displayed 0% charge and showed the animated bar to indicate it was charging. After three hours I checked and the charge was still 0%. Just to be sure I reattached the cable securely and used a different wall outlet. Still no charging progress. At several points the display would briefly show 93% or 94% but quickly flash back to 0%.

I can’t update the firmware because the app requires at least 25% charge to do so. I now have to go back to the support team for another defective watch. Return shipping comes out of my own pocket so that initial discount is disappearing very quickly.

9 hours ago, Sp4zRX said:

yes, that makes since because the course I played is a 27 hole course and the only way to use the watch is select which 9 is the front 9, then at the end of the front, it asks you if you are playing another 9, then you select which 9 is the back. So yes, same scenario. 

Email support and ask them to loop some of the 9 holes together to make 18. They did it with my course within a few days 

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2023 at 8:09 PM, Dave2golf2 said:

I've played a few rounds with the X5 now and actually am quite impressed.  I like the ease of use, does a decent job of shot tracking without me having to do much of anything. It has missed a few shots around the green, but I really don't care, it's good enough for analyzing your round in the app. Unless you're relying on the watch completely for keeping your score 100% accurate it's fine, I'll always write it down on the card anyways. 

Yardage numbers are matching up with my rangefinder so that's good. Having yardages clearly and quickly available to both hazards and doglegs is a great feature. The pin collect screen is easy and intuitive. No build quality issues.

I did have to restart the watch last time out before the round because it wasn't finding the GPS, but it found it quickly after the restart. Just upgraded to the latest .90 firmware so maybe that'll help that, first time out it found the GPS quickly the first time with no issues. 

After uploading the round at end, viewing all the data in the app is very cool! Texting a screenshot from a nice shot in your round to a buddy is easy and a nice touch.

All things considered,  I gotta say this watch does a lot of things very well without a lot of fuss, which has always been my gripe with golf watches, they get in the way and distract me from golf -this one stays out of the way.

So far I'm liking it a lot. My previous watch was the X3.

Update - after upgrading the firmware to 2.0.90 the watch now sucks. Lost the GPS on the 5th hole, had to start the round over. Failed to pickup the club I was using half the time. What's the return policy for those of us that bought this in April? 

Got mine on the course for the first time today. First hole worked awesome no issues. At the second it stopped displaying which club I was hitting. Watch still worked for GPS and keeping score but had trouble post round uploading as well as turning watch off. Hoping will be fixed soon.

Ping G400Max 11*

Taylormade M4 3wood

Callaway Tour Issue Superhybrid 23*

Ping I230 4-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy 52/56/60

Scotty Cameron Newport+ Jet Set

Just got my X5 and have a question for those of you who have the same.  Is there a reason the watch band is the way that it is?  Every other watch I've owned has the clasp on the top band (usually the shorter of the two) and this one has it on the bottom band.  This is my first fitness/golf watch of any kind so I apologize if there is a reason for this that I'm not aware of.  If it isn't required to be this way, is there anything stopping me from just swapping the top and bottom bands?  They appear to have the same mounting location.

Edited by USCHawks31

12 hours ago, USCHawks31 said:

Just got my X5 and have a question for those of you who have the same.  Is there a reason the watch band is the way that it is?  Every other watch I've owned has the clasp on the top band (usually the shorter of the two) and this one has it on the bottom band.  This is my first fitness/golf watch of any kind so I apologize if there is a reason for this that I'm not aware of.  If it isn't required to be this way, is there anything stopping me from just swapping the top and bottom bands?  They appear to have the same mounting location.

The band that comes out of the top of the watch has an "antenna" that senses the tag and must be on top of the other band when worn. That is why the buckle is reversed from what is typical. They can NOT be reversed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, USCHawks31 said:

yeah I just unknowingly unscrewed the bands because of that fact only to find that the one of the buckles had sensors that connect to the watch so it’s a no go unfortunately 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, phil75070 said:

The band that comes out of the top of the watch has an "antenna" that senses the tag and must be on top of the other band when worn. That is why the buckle is reversed from what is typical. They can NOT be reversed.

Thank you, excited to try it out this weekend nonetheless.  I will just accept the fact that I will look like an idiot while I attempt to relearn how to put on a watch.

Edited by USCHawks31

They offered me a £50 partial refund against the "hot spot" on the screen.  Apparently a known cosmetic issue on some devices so check yours.

I'm taking a replacement unit.

Driver - SIM2 Max

5W / 4H / 5H - G410

3i - SIM

Irons - ZX5/ZX7 

Wedges - MD5

Bettinardi QB8/Stability Shaft/P2 grip

On 5/4/2023 at 6:54 PM, chris1967 said:

The consistency in malfunctions is troubling, particularly given the merry-go-round of firmware updates. Makes me wonder whether the device itself is flawed, and they're desperately trying to find a firmware patch to keep it at least partially functional and avoid a wholesale recall. From a brand perspective, seems like they're taking some huge reputational risks.  

Anyway, after reporting the latest issues to Customer Support, they apologized, essentially asked for proof of purchase, and promised to ship me a replacement. No timeline offered, so we'll see what happens. 

Just searched for the X5 to see if anyone else has had the issues I went through, and apparently the answer is 'yes', even though shotscope support indicated to me that this was not a widespread issue. 

Got one of the first rounds of watches, and then subsequently replaced it with another one last week.  Both had the same issue: the watch stops detecting any tags, and the crown dial will not scroll.  The only 'fix' is a hard reboot which dumps your round, and you have to start over.  Way to distracting to futz with during a round.  So both watching on the latest and greatest firmware had the same exact issue.

Sent the 2nd watch back yesterday and got a full refund.  I really wanted this product to live up to the potential it has, but I can't trust it on the course.

Edit to add that Shotscope support, while a little slow, was great at getting back to me and trying to resolve the issue.  I really like the company and I hope they can get this figured out.  They didn't give me any hassle about the return, or hesitate when it seemed a replacement watch might fix the issue.

Edited by stevestrike

I had issue with the watch reverting to the watch face, and the last round I played before going back to the V3, the watch stopped reading tags. I did a simple reset when I got home and the tag reading function returned. However, I did not trust the watch enough to take it back out on the course.

Then someone elsewhere posted how to do a "factory reset", which I did, and the watch performed exceptionally well with no issues other than the steps count (which I don't care about). It synched with the satellites and found the course quickly, and the shots missed or added (a total of 2) were user error. 

How to do this factory reset:

To reset your watch hold down the crown button top right, you will see firstly the screen going blank, after that you will see the X5 logo appear on screen, finally you will then see a screen with options. You can let go of the crown button now.

Press the crown button twice until 'Factory Reset' is selected. Then press the bottom right button to confirm this selection. Your watch will now reboot with the factory firmware.

Please connect the watch to the app and sync the latest firmware onto the watch before playing again."
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, phil75070 said:

I had issue with the watch reverting to the watch face, and the last round I played before going back to the V3, the watch stopped reading tags. I did a simple reset when I got home and the tag reading function returned. However, I did not trust the watch enough to take it back out on the course.

Then someone elsewhere posted how to do a "factory reset", which I did, and the watch performed exceptionally well with no issues other than the steps count (which I don't care about). It synched with the satellites and found the course quickly, and the shots missed or added (a total of 2) were user error. 

How to do this factory reset:

To reset your watch hold down the crown button top right, you will see firstly the screen going blank, after that you will see the X5 logo appear on screen, finally you will then see a screen with options. You can let go of the crown button now.

Press the crown button twice until 'Factory Reset' is selected. Then press the bottom right button to confirm this selection. Your watch will now reboot with the factory firmware.

Please connect the watch to the app and sync the latest firmware onto the watch before playing again."

It should be noted that to do the factory reset procedure described above you must start with the watch powered off, then hold the crown button down. If you do it with the watch already powered on, then it just reboots the watch with a hard reset, but does not give you the option to do the factory reset.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave2golf2 said:

It should be noted that to do the factory reset procedure described above you must start with the watch powered off, then hold the crown button down. If you do it with the watch already powered on, then it just reboots the watch with a hard reset, but does not give you the option to do the factory reset.

I actually do not recall if the watch was on or off when I initiated the procedure. You may be right.