CaddyTalk Cube Rangefinder

Anyone see this at the PGA Show this year?  Seems like it could be a game changer, it allows you to shoot a distance between your ball and target from a third location (some type of triangulation? that doesn't require you to be at your ball to use it).  Also claims new slope and distance factoring technology.  Certainly looks interesting.  So new, there aren't even any product reviews that I can find. 

Srixon Zx5 MKII 9.5* Ventus Blue 6 or Lin-Q Gunmetal 6

Tour Edge Exotics E723 15* Ventus Blue 6

Tour Edge Exotics E722 18* Ventus Blue 6

Cobra King Tec 4 Utility MMT 80
PXG 0311P Gen2 5-PW MMT 80

Ping Glide 4.0 50* SS, 54* WS KBS Tour
Callaway MD PM Grind Raw 58* KBS Tour
Toulon Garage Le Mans 
Titleist AVX/ProVI

i just placed an order for one also on Amazon says arriving April 5-7

WITB
 Ping G425 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TSR2+  Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Titleist TS3  18* set to C1 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 stiff
Callaway UW 21* Oban Kiyoshi white 75 stiff
Ping I210 5-UW Veylix arcane copper mod 1010
Edel SMS V grind  54* Accra SP Wedge 
Edel SMS V grind 58* Accra Hybrex Wedge
SiK DW 2.0 slant neck LA Golf Soho Green or Argolf Merlin Accra FX200 shaft
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

• Thanks 1

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone actually received their rangefinder and used it yet. The ads had suggested "early April" deliveries and we're already past that now. I thought about ordering but wanted to see more comprehensive reviews. Does it show yardage through the viewfinder? Or do you have to get all the data from the digital screen on the side? Does it vibrate or flash when locked on?

20 hours ago, RagnarD said:

So has anyone actually received their rangefinder and used it yet. The ads had suggested "early April" deliveries and we're already past that now. I thought about ordering but wanted to see more comprehensive reviews. Does it show yardage through the viewfinder? Or do you have to get all the data from the digital screen on the side? Does it vibrate or flash when locked on?

Mine is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I'll answer your questions as soon as I get a chance to test it.

Mine just arrived. Haven't had a chance to test it on course yet, only in the back yard.

It vibrates and flashes when you lock on. You can either press the button once to get a measurement, or hold it while you scan back and forth and it will pick up the closest item you scan. Both modes work really well (while scanning random things in the yard, at least). 

The viewfinder display has 3 brightness settings. The brightest one is super bright. The side LED shows your slope mode and the yardage scanned- it disappears after about 15 seconds. It does not recall the last measurement if you turn it back on after, which I think would have been a nice addition.

Caddy mode is easy to use, and seems quite accurate in my testing.

Picture comparing it to a Precision Pro NX9

PXL_20230419_182402258 (2023-04-19T18_25_42.106).jpg

Shows standard and slope in the view finder. Slope only on the side. Side brightness is a little underwhelming.  

Took it out twice already, other than using your hand to hide the sun to see the side screen it’s really good.  Compared it to a Garmin watch and a Nikon rf, Seemed accurate. caddy mode is really useful, my home course has 4 holes that are consistently CPO. I can narrow down my club choice go without carrying three clubs over to the ball and I found it only 0-3 yards off but I blame my shakey hands not the finder.

063CE552-708D-4B3C-B7E9-A9D5D9756935.jpeg

Agreed that the side screen's brightness is not the best. The brightness inside the viewfinder is very good though.

Inside the viewfinder it will also show the degree of slope - it alternates between slope% and actual yardage below the adjusted yardage. My course has a couple of blind shots over/around big mounds, which caddy mode will be super useful for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RagnarD said:

Thanks guys. I'm surprised they bothered with the side screen at all. To help people who forget the distance within 10 seconds? How does it perform at flag acquisition? I have one rangefinder that routinely ignores the flag for the trees behind it.

Honestly,  I thought the same thing about the 10 second display, and though I would like it to remember once you wake it back up I routinely take the rangefinder away from my eye and forget the number so the side screen does its job.  Pin lock has be flawless so far.

Only complain is that the pouch has a belt loop and not a clip.  I like to toss it on my belt on Occassion but not the entire round.  Bought a cheap holster clip and solved my problem.

IMG_9345.HEIC

IMG_9344.HEIC

On 4/17/2023 at 5:03 PM, RagnarD said:

I received mine earlier this week. I havent used it on the course yet, but shot some stuff down the street and around the house. From my readings, it seems like "E Slope" is the best to use because it uses M slope but also temperature, humidity and altitude. Super easy to use and the quality is high end. Looking forward to seeing how many different uses I can find while actually playing. ,

Taylormade Stealth+ 9.0* | GD Tour ADHD 6X

Taylormade Stealth+ 15* | GD Tour ADHD 7X

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 19* | Ventus Blue 9TX

Miura TC-201  4-PW  | MMT 105 S

Miura 50* Raw  | BGT ZNE 115g

National Custom Works  Jeff McCoy 54 | DG TI S400

Taylormade MG Hi-Toe Raw 58  | KBS Hi Rev 115

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 STR | Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2021

Taylormade TP5X 2021

19 hours ago, ToughasNails said:

Honestly,  I thought the same thing about the 10 second display, and though I would like it to remember once you wake it back up I routinely take the rangefinder away from my eye and forget the number so the side screen does its job.  Pin lock has be flawless so far.

Only complain is that the pouch has a belt loop and not a clip.  I like to toss it on my belt on Occassion but not the entire round.  Bought a cheap holster clip and solved my problem.

IMG_9345.HEIC 1.32 MB · 8 downloads

IMG_9344.HEIC 1.28 MB · 4 downloads

Mine actually came with a clip to attach to my bag just like my other rangefinder...

Double check your box. It was down with the small clean cloth. 

Taylormade Stealth+ 9.0* | GD Tour ADHD 6X

Taylormade Stealth+ 15* | GD Tour ADHD 7X

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 19* | Ventus Blue 9TX

Miura TC-201  4-PW  | MMT 105 S

Miura 50* Raw  | BGT ZNE 115g

National Custom Works  Jeff McCoy 54 | DG TI S400

Taylormade MG Hi-Toe Raw 58  | KBS Hi Rev 115

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 STR | Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2021

Taylormade TP5X 2021

I received mine on Wednesday. Played my first round with it yesterday. I am impressed so far with it. On 4 seperate occasions I tried the caddy feature and 3 times it was the exact same yardage as standing directly behind the ball. The other time it was 1 yard off. I even tried it once where the cart was parked about 30 yards ahead of my ball about 40 yards away across the fairway. In other word shooting backwards towards my ball and then forward to the green and it was exactly the same 132 yards. This is a game changer in my mind on days when its cart path only. I still verify yardage when I get to my ball but instead of taking 3-4 clubs with me I bring 1 or 2. The viewfinder is crystal clear the crosshair has 4 brightness settings. I found using it on 2 was best for me 4 being the brightest setting. Read the manual before using so you fully understand the setup mode for the different features. I also like the fact that it defaults back from caddy mode automatically to whatever setting you plan on using. So I have mine set to use the Mslope feature. When you first press the button on the top it turns on then the second press on top will read the yardage. 

If I want to use the caddy feature I press top button first to power on then tap the bottom button (mode button) which turns on the caddy feature. Once I use this feature and the unit turns itself off after about 10 seconds the next time I pick up it up to use it it is back on Mslope so just point and shoot. I like the fact that you have to press the mode button each time to go to the caddy mode. So the mode you are going to use the most is the default everytime you turn the unit on. The furthest distance i tried with it was 289 yards. I find it picks up the flag very fast. So far very impressed with the Cube. Mine also came with the black silicone cover in the box so no need to order extra unless you want a different color. I also would like to see the pouch come with more of a belt clip versus a belt loop. 

• Like 1

WITB
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

I had an abbreviated use with it this past weekend, I got rained out after 11 holes. 

The caddy mode is legit, I was able to lock onto my ball with ease and the yardage it gave was spot on compared to shooting standing over the ball. This also comes in handy on par 3 tee boxes, I shoot the tee marker and then the flag and I am good to go.

The slope modes seem extreme compared to my Bushnell pro 1M, but I was stuck comparing the two, will have to take the leap and just go with it one of these days to see how I really feel about it. It might actually be accurate, the slope features were giving me yardages much shorter than I would try to hit and I disregarded and was long on every hole. This is a work in progress and I will need to monitor moving forward.

Accuracy I am inclined to believe that it is more accurate than my Bushnell Pro 1M don't know if it is losing its precision as it is pretty old at this point. CaddyTalk was consistently 3 yds shorter than what my Bushnell was stating. Didn't have a tape measure to see which was right, but when I got home I pulled out my surveyers tape and at 51 feet (17yds) the CaddyTalk shot 17 yds while the Bushnell alternated between 15 and 16. Cleaned the mirror/lenses with microfiber on the bushnell and it steadied at 16 yds. 

On 4/23/2023 at 9:12 AM, VA golfer said:

I received mine on Wednesday. Played my first round with it yesterday. I am impressed so far with it. On 4 seperate occasions I tried the caddy feature and 3 times it was the exact same yardage as standing directly behind the ball. The other time it was 1 yard off. I even tried it once where the cart was parked about 30 yards ahead of my ball about 40 yards away across the fairway. In other word shooting backwards towards my ball and then forward to the green and it was exactly the same 132 yards. This is a game changer in my mind on days when its cart path only. I still verify yardage when I get to my ball but instead of taking 3-4 clubs with me I bring 1 or 2. The viewfinder is crystal clear the crosshair has 4 brightness settings. I found using it on 2 was best for me 4 being the brightest setting. Read the manual before using so you fully understand the setup mode for the different features. I also like the fact that it defaults back from caddy mode automatically to whatever setting you plan on using. So I have mine set to use the Mslope feature. When you first press the button on the top it turns on then the second press on top will read the yardage. 

If I want to use the caddy feature I press top button first to power on then tap the bottom button (mode button) which turns on the caddy feature. Once I use this feature and the unit turns itself off after about 10 seconds the next time I pick up it up to use it it is back on Mslope so just point and shoot. I like the fact that you have to press the mode button each time to go to the caddy mode. So the mode you are going to use the most is the default everytime you turn the unit on. The furthest distance i tried with it was 289 yards. I find it picks up the flag very fast. So far very impressed with the Cube. Mine also came with the black silicone cover in the box so no need to order extra unless you want a different color. I also would like to see the pouch come with more of a belt clip versus a belt loop. 

So yours by default came with the black silicon case that's also advertised as selling separately? If it came with it did you order the cube through their official US site or through a third party? Just trying to figure out if I need to search on third party sites for the official silicon case since as of today all three colors are sold out on the US website.

i purchased mine on amazon and the black silicone cover was in the box.

WITB
Titleist ProV1 Yellow

FYI, for anyone interested, I just picked up a silicone sleeve for my Cube on Amazon japan, they had blue/green in stock.  I had been (and plan to over the sleeve) using a blue tees magnetic strap also to mount my Cube.

Titleist T150 Irons

Titleist U505 4 Utility
Titleist Tsi2 Driver
Ping G425 5 Wood
Ping G425 7 Wood
Titleist SM9 48, 54, 58 Wedges
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11

Any more user reports? Was compelled to purchase this to try out the caddy feature, but I’m auditioning a Used Garmin z82, as well, which is inbound. I got a Coolshot II for the stabilization when I got back into the game about two or three years ago I think, but I don’t really use it and will be selling it to purchase the next one. 

I rely on my phone and watch a great deal instead of my yardage book and rangefinder. I hope flipping that some will get me more in tune with the round and less distracted. The z82 might be the best of both worlds for my use case, but the Cube’s feature is so unique I just have to try it. 

On 4/30/2023 at 4:24 AM, Pexeter said:

FYI, for anyone interested, I just picked up a silicone sleeve for my Cube on Amazon japan, they had blue/green in stock.  I had been (and plan to over the sleeve) using a blue tees magnetic strap also to mount my Cube.

Which bluetees strap are you using? 

I bought this but it was too big so I returned it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFS78F7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This one just barely fits, but it is still slightly loose: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B76FGRRX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

3 hours ago, kramerica said:

I bought this but it was too big so I returned it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WFS78F7?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This one just barely fits, but it is still slightly loose: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B76FGRRX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This One   I did open it up and shorten the strap because there was excess once tightened, but it was easy.  

Titleist T150 Irons

Titleist U505 4 Utility
Titleist Tsi2 Driver
Ping G425 5 Wood
Ping G425 7 Wood
Titleist SM9 48, 54, 58 Wedges
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11

15 hours ago, Pexeter said:

This One   I did open it up and shorten the strap because there was excess once tightened, but it was easy.  

In reading the amazon reviews of the adjustable blue tees magnetic strap some have reported that hard cart bumps or shakes can loosen the magnetic grip making their rangefinder completely fall off. Quite of few of those comments have prompted me to purchase another one which looks to have more magnets (this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B76FGRRX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&th=1

Edited by Imslimjim

19 hours ago, kramerica said:

Do you have the silicon case for your cube? If not then perhaps that would make the strap that barely fits a little bit more snug? Reason why I ask is that my cube thats in transit will be coming with the silicon case which I would imagine would provide a little bit more girth for the new strap that you bought (which Im currently eying as well)

have used my cube for a few rounds now, and sometimes it will give wildly inaccurate distances. For example, yesterday at TPC Scottsdale, I was 145 yards from the pin based on the cart, but the cube was measuring over 300 yards. There was also a hill directly behind the green so I know it wasn't measuring something in the distance.

Other times, it would measure 10-15 yards longer than what the GPS in the cart and my friends range finder would measure.

I've reset the device a few times by holding down the two buttons for three seconds and then setting it down on a table, but no luck.

19 minutes ago, Imslimjim said:

Do you have the silicon case for your cube? If not then perhaps that would make the strap that barely fits a little bit more snug? Reason why I ask is that my cube thats in transit will be coming with the silicon case which I would imagine would provide a little bit more girth for the new strap that you bought (which Im currently eying as well)

I'm thinking the same thing. I will let you know.