2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pebble Beach Rankings

G_MANG

I just got back from playing Spanish Bay, and I've played Pebble and Spyglass previously. Other than the history of PB, can someone explain to me why it's held in such higher esteem than the others? I feel like all three are really special in their own ways (Spyglass brutally challenging with the amazing opening holes; Spanish Bay not right on the water but with amazing views/breeze throughout the entire round; and PB has probably the best 7 holes even though the middle turn is a bit of a come down). This isn't a complaint or anything like that -- I'm just surprised the sentiment is so overwhelmingly PB>Spyglass>SB when it feels like reasonable minds can honestly differ. 

Okay, here's my take although I'm not sure how well this will explain it. 

If I plan a trip to the Monterrey area to play golf, I am going to make sure that I play Pebble Beach. I can't say that for either Spyglass or Spanish Bay. They are both good courses and I have played them both. But neither of them struck me as special and/or a must play. In fact, while on our last trip out there we played Pebble, Carmel Valley Ranch, and Pasatiempo and enjoyed it just as much, if not more, than than our first trip out there when we played Pebble, Spyglass, and Spanish Bay. 

For me, I don't understand at all putting Spyglass or Spanish Bay anywhere near the level of Pebble Beach. And that doesn't surprise me at all. 

• Like 1

I think North Texas explains it well.

I'm a Californian and I have been fortunate to play Pebble Beach many times.  It never gets old.  To me it is special in a way that neither Spanish Bay nor Spyglass Hill approach.  See I don't think one can put aside the history.  The course just oozes it.  On 17, who doesn't want to try to replicate Nicklaus' 1 iron, Watson's chip from off the green, Woodland's chip from on the green?  Not that one really can.. but one can see where each happened... and to me that takes what might be a relatively ordinary hole and makes it special.  People also call the first 3 holes and 12-16 blah but man if those are blah, what is great in one's world?  Each has something to say.  They do pale a bit compared to the other holes but none are awful.

I also love the flow of the course.... the incredible views....

I could go on and on.  SB and SH are good golf courses.  They are just not special... not like PB.

• Like 4

I enjoy Pebble Beach and Spyglass. Spanish Bay is ok, but as stated above, would rather go play Pasatiempo, but then again I would rather play Pasa over all of them...

• Thanks 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

I enjoy the mental aspect I have to endure at Spyglass. I’m not a long hitter and for me to succeed there I have to hang on and have a game good enough to do so most days. I will always play pb, sh, and pasa and skip sb. Haven’t played sb in over 10 years. Have multiple rounds on the other 3 in that span 

• Like 2

Hmmmmmm

I have had this argument many times with many people.  It seems to be a normal take to denigrate Spanish Bay.

Could more have been made of that property?  Maybe.  But the regulatory restrictions imposed were onerous to say the least.

Is it as great as the others near it?  No.

But is it a bad golf course?

Jeez if it is, I need to be in a world where a golf course like that is considered bad.

Think about it on relative terms.  I grew up playing Balboa, Encino and Hansen Dam munis in SoCal.. then as an adult, Santa Teresa in San Jose.  Each are perfectly fine golf courses.... fun in their own way.

And due to the linksy holes, a few wild greens, some awesome ocean views.... Spanish Bay absolutely blows each of those away.

I enjoy Spanish Bay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Hmmmmmm

I have had this argument many times with many people.  It seems to be a normal take to denigrate Spanish Bay.

Could more have been made of that property?  Maybe.  But the regulatory restrictions imposed were onerous to say the least.

Jeez if it is, I need to be in a world where a golf course like that is considered bad.

Think about it on relative terms.  I grew up playing Balboa, Encino and Hansen Dam munis in SoCal.. then as an adult, Santa Teresa in San Jose.  Each are perfectly fine golf courses.... fun in their own way.

And due to the linksy holes, a few wild greens, some awesome ocean views.... Spanish Bay absolutely blows each of those away.

I enjoy Spanish Bay.

Couldn’t have said it any better.  I grew up on Sunnyvale Muni, Deep Cliff and Sunken Gardens.  Then moved to SoCal and had a steady diet of El Rivino, El Rancho Verde, Palm Meadows and Shandin Hills. All of those SoCal courses closed down except for Shandin. All I hear when Spanish Bay comes up is how unauthentic it is for a links course. Yet every time I play it, it gives me an amazing, awesome experience. I love playing SB. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Hmmmmmm

I enjoy Spanish Bay.

Nothing wrong with it at all.  I’m just not paying more than $100 for it. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, So_Cal said:

Nothing wrong with it at all.  I’m just not paying more than $100 for it. 

Hmmmmmm again 😉

Most decent public courses in the greater Bay Area cost close to or more than $100.

But that is a fair point.  Perhaps Spanish Bay isn't worth top dollar.  I never pay such... there are very often specials one can get.

The point is more against those who say it generally sucks.  And many do.

On 4/26/2023 at 8:22 AM, Mullenboy said:

Hmmmmmm again 😉

Most decent public courses in the greater Bay Area cost close to or more than $100.

But that is a fair point.  Perhaps Spanish Bay isn't worth top dollar.  I never pay such... there are very often specials one can get.

The point is more against those who say it generally sucks.  And many do.

I don't think it's a bad course, just not worth $335.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

On 4/25/2023 at 7:49 AM, Mullenboy said:

Hmmmmmm

I enjoy Spanish Bay.

If I'm going to pay top dollar in the Pebble Beach area I'm not paying for Spanish Bay (never said it was bad just said I wouldn't play it with the other choices available), I'm not sure what Poppy cost is now but I'd much rather play it over Spanish.

I've played muni's all my life too, but, I was a private club member in the Bay Area for 20+ years. I don't feel where I've played golf most of my life has any impact on my feeling of the course I'm giving my opinion on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2023 at 1:56 PM, jjr said:

If I'm going to pay top dollar in the Pebble Beach area I'm not paying for Spanish Bay (never said it was bad just said I wouldn't play it with the other choices available), I'm not sure what Poppy cost is now but I'd much rather play it over Spanish.

I've played muni's all my life too, but, I was a private club member in the Bay Area for 20+ years. I don't feel where I've played golf most of my life has any impact on my feeling of the course I'm giving my opinion on.

OK, understood.  Just the threshold was seemingly set before at $100.  And that's the going rate for any decent public golf in the greater Bay Area, as you know.   I too would not pay "top dollar" to play Spanish Bay... and I also prefer Poppy.... as for where one has played his golf having impact on one's current opinions, it just gives perspective, that's all.

And my argument remains not with you and others here who prefer other nearby courses to SB and/or would not pay top dollar to play it... that's fine with me... I agree.

My argument is against those who say the course SUCKS, hated it, would never play it ever, etc.  And many do say that.  Though I guess not in this thread!  🙂

• Like 1

I haven't played Spanish Bay yet but will be playing there along with Spyglass next month. I've played Spyglass twice before and haven't had the best success so hoping to do better this go around! Looking forward to it! 

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9*

Fairways: TaylorMade M1 (2017) Aldila Black; Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood

Irons: Cobra KING Forged Tec Irons Steelfiber i110cw

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 54*; Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58*

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour 

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

On 4/25/2023 at 3:49 PM, sharkiesj said:

Couldn’t have said it any better.  I grew up on Sunnyvale Muni, Deep Cliff and Sunken Gardens.  Then moved to SoCal and had a steady diet of El Rivino, El Rancho Verde, Palm Meadows and Shandin Hills. All of those SoCal courses closed down except for Shandin. All I hear when Spanish Bay comes up is how unauthentic it is for a links course. Yet every time I play it, it gives me an amazing, awesome experience. I love playing SB. 

Throwing out some old school so cal courses.  Worked at Shandin for a year in college. Decent course surprised it lasted over places like El Rivino.  That course was a blast to play when I was getting into golf mid 90’s. Par 6 staring hole. Great memories of Number 9 tight and short. Stop in for a sandwich at the turn, 7-11 quality from the old guy who worked there maybe the owner if I remember correctly. No joke, dude looked like he could have been a mortician.  Then number 10 elevated tee OB left? Back was better than the front if I remember correct.  Thanks for a flashback to the past.  

46 minutes ago, Mnalette said:

Throwing out some old school so cal courses.  Worked at Shandin for a year in college. Decent course surprised it lasted over places like El Rivino.  That course was a blast to play when I was getting into golf mid 90’s. Par 6 staring hole. Great memories of Number 9 tight and short. Stop in for a sandwich at the turn, 7-11 quality from the old guy who worked there maybe the owner if I remember correctly. No joke, dude looked like he could have been a mortician.  Then number 10 elevated tee OB left? Back was better than the front if I remember correct.  Thanks for a flashback to the past.  

I know going waaaaaaaaaay back in the day!!! I’ll always remember being on the 4th hole when the marshal coming screaming up to everyone shouting “Get off the course, there’s a sniper shooting at people!!!”  We all start running and we made it to the car completely gassed and bewildered.  Jumped in the car and peeled out of there so fast I realized later that 2 headcovers fell off my woods as we were running to the car. Haha!

talking about El Rivino 

Edited by sharkiesj

4 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

I know going waaaaaaaaaay back in the day!!! I’ll always remember being on the 4th hole when the marshal coming screaming up to everyone shouting “Get off the course, there’s a sniper shooting at people!!!”  We all start running and we made it to the car completely gassed and bewildered.  Jumped in the car and peeled out of there so fast I realized later that 2 headcovers fell off my woods as we were running to the car. Haha!

talking about El Rivino 

s***, sounds like you had a way better time then I did hitting it in the water on all those holes on the back with the ponds in front of the greens. Sounds like a little good mixed with GTA. I think I remember hearing about a small plane landing on the fairway at Shandin back in the day.

I played Spyglass about a month ago and thought it was fantastic. It was certainly challenging, but wasn’t the brutal test that I had anticipated based on everything i’ve read. Good shots were rewarded, bad shots could get you in some trouble. The views on the first 5 hole are incredible, and the remaining holes running through the pines are certainly no slouches.

But as much as I enjoyed it, I agree with others sentiments that the history and scenery at Pebble are what put it in such high regard. I’ve been out for the pro am and walked it several times. The views from 5-10 and 17/18 are just breathtaking. Hearing the waves crashing below you, the sun shining on that beautiful bay and knowing some of the greatest to ever play have strolled those same fairways is tough to beat. 

2807D501-C5ED-4F4C-8C5F-12A1C79512D2.jpeg.d618be8892a6d34bbe3122d7ee708485.jpegB96F2A0E-5E52-4F16-A10D-353998FF7AF1.jpeg.c8c1f8dc139b9650f0211b7e4650cba1.jpeg

4 at Spyglass on the top and the 18th at Pebble from The Bench. Just heaven

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 7:49 AM, Mullenboy said:

Hmmmmmm

I enjoy Spanish Bay.

I enjoy SB too!

On 5/9/2023 at 2:49 AM, Mullenboy said:

OK, understood.  Just the threshold was seemingly set before at $100.  And that's the going rate for any decent public golf in the greater Bay Area, as you know.   I too would not pay "top dollar" to play Spanish Bay... and I also prefer Poppy.... as for where one has played his golf having impact on one's current opinions, it just gives perspective, that's all.

And my argument remains not with you and others here who prefer other nearby courses to SB and/or would not pay top dollar to play it... that's fine with me... I agree.

My argument is against those who say the course SUCKS, hated it, would never play it ever, etc.  And many do say that.  Though I guess not in this thread!  🙂

I agree with your argument for those who say that SB sucks! I never had to pay full price because as a Duke's Club member we got a big discount and I got to bring 3 friends with me and they got to play for the same price as me but we always had a great time.