2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping PLD vs Scotty Super Select

mrmikeac

I have an Anser and a Newport. The Newport is the first new Scotty I’ve bought in close to 10 years. I have a ton of the classics, but the new Supers are the first that made me want a new one in a long time. It just feels so stable, there may really be something to the heavier heel-toe weighting, even if it’s only a 5 gram increase on each side. 

That being said I’ve loved the PLD too. Beautiful classic shape and the all black look is awesome. It’s maybe a touch softer if I had to compare the 2. 

The 2 best retail options this year IMO, can’t go wrong with either! 

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

I went back & forth between these two before settling on the PLD. Agree with Schwagin on the PLD feeling marginally softer, & with a ProV1 sounded slightly more dense and muted off the face than the Super Scotty. But they were awfully close, could have gone with either based on feel alone.

Ultimately went PLD because I preferred the matte black contrast against the ball & the green vs. satin stainless. Also liked the shape of the Anser D vs. the Newport 2+ and the Squareback--don't know if it actually is more compact or if it just appears so, but it suited my eye better. I think the Anser D also had slightly less toe hang, but not positive on that either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've owned a SUPER Select Newport 2+ and a PLD Tyne 4. The PLD was way softer, almost in a dead sort of way. Newport felt nice too, a bit livelier. The PLD worked better for me, but could have been head shape. The newport was nice enough, it just felt...more of the same? Just kinda pedestrian.

I bought a Super 2+ and the Anser D. Feel was very very similar to me. I ended up selling the Newport and keeping the Anser D because it won me over on looks. But I will say the Newport did feel just a touch more stable. I think the aluminum sole with the weight pushed out to the corners did make a difference. 

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

As @Shwagin1066said, these are both great putters and and can’t really go wrong with either. They both felt/sounded/performed great. (Feel/Sound/Performance = Push)

The main reasons (all personal preferences) I chose the Anser D

• One piece milled (no sole plate or removable weights). I just really like the clean look of the 1 solid piece of Anser D
  • Less branding:  I really think the Cameron would look much better/cleaner with a few less “Scotty Cameron” markings/branding. 
  • Overall looks of Anser D

Cosmetic preferences were basically the reasons I chose the Anser D over the Newport+, but they’re both awesome putters. 

Edited by Grouchykona
  • Like 1

I preferred the shape of the Scotty over the Ping at address. They feel almost identical since the milling is about the same. I think the PLD Anser 2D would be my choice if it comes to retail. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | G430 3 Hybrid |  ZX7 MKII 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

These are so close I think it will come down to looks at address.  They both feel great.  With customization these days, its easy to get swing weights and balance pretty spot on.

• Like 1

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

21 minutes ago, CoolBreeze said:

I haven't seen the Anser D - but to my eye, the wider you get, the less heal to toe length I want. Extending the width may mess with overall look at address.

This^

I love the look of the PLD. The blade length is perfect in my eye

The blade length on the Scotty is too long imo, it could also be that I haven’t gamed a Scotty putter in 5 years so I’m just not used to the look. 

The biggest reason I’m looking at the Scotty is for the stability, at the price point I feel like I’m getting more for my money out of the Scotty, at the same time I like the look of the PLD more so I guess my question is, is the stability of the Scotty that much better than the PLD or is it all just a bunch of hocus pocus? 

10 minutes ago, mrmikeac said:

This^

I love the look of the PLD. The blade length is perfect in my eye

The blade length on the Scotty is too long imo, it could also be that I haven’t gamed a Scotty putter in 5 years so I’m just not used to the look. 

The biggest reason I’m looking at the Scotty is for the stability, at the price point I feel like I’m getting more for my money out of the Scotty, at the same time I like the look of the PLD more so I guess my question is, is the stability of the Scotty that much better than the PLD or is it all just a bunch of hocus pocus? 

I'm not sure if this theory is true but here goes...when you talk about stability I am assuming that you mean the higher gram heal/toe weights. However, if the total putter head is the same weight (as the previous generation (2018), where did he get the weight from so that its all matchy matchy?  My theory is that most of the weight came from the scalloping the shoulders (the middle bump before the bumper). If that is the case, he is literally taking weight out of the heal and toe to just add it back to the heal and toe. In other words, I am not sure how much more stable the actual putter is than a similar design putter with the same head weight. This is especially so in the Newport and any of the + models that have a normal topline. With the NP2 - the topline is considerably thinner so maybe some weight came from there too. Just a theory.

ETA - I just realized the plus models don't have higher gram weights. In that case, I would say the heel and toe are actually less stable than the Ping because the drilled out weight holes are hollow compared to solid steel. You could always add heavier weight though if you wanted.

Edited by CoolBreeze
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PLD for me. I have had a Cameron classic in the bag for years, and nothing after the studio stainless (2012?) has felt great. Seems so much rehash and not impressed with any changes personally. 

The PLD on the other hand, feels great and looks great. Love the deep mill and many options if you go custom. I have been eyeing an anser PLD to add to the putter room for a while now, but has been hard to bite with how well I have been putting. 😂 

• Thanks 1

I would go with the PLD because it's a cleaner looking head, and I really like the feel.  I normally don't care about stamping and what the back of a putter looks like, but the Super Select has too much going on. 

I also like the black Anser head with no site line on it because I could go back and get a site line added to the topline if I wanted. 

They're both good putters, but I just like how good of a job Ping did with that entire line of putters.    

• Like 2

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

41 minutes ago, jah7838 said:

I would go with the PLD because it's a cleaner looking head, and I really like the feel.  I normally don't care about stamping and what the back of a putter looks like, but the Super Select has too much going on. 

I also like the black Anser head with no site line on it because I could go back and get a site line added to the topline if I wanted. 

They're both good putters, but I just like how good of a job Ping did with that entire line of putters.    

Agree 100%.  PING has a clean design like Scotty used to before deep cavity cherry bomb madness. 

• Like 3

I have swung both and also prefer the PLD. I like the finish, shape, and feel better overall. Admittedly I'm not the biggest Scotty fan, but you can get a retail Scotty Newport from various years and performance/feel will be pretty similar.  

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Just Bought a PLD Anser D after spending a lot of time at the store with the new squareback, Newport +, Newport 2 +, and Evnroll er2. The Evnroll didn’t sit right for me with the two dots on the top line. Beautiful putter, just not for me. Newport + was the best of the Scotty’s for me. Just preferred the more compact look heel to toe and black finish of the PLD. They both felt great. You can’t really go wrong either way.

Driver Ping G430 (9*)

5w Ping G430 max 

4h  Ping G425max (22*)

5-G Titleist t300 (2022)

54* Vokey SM9 S grind

58* Vokey SM9 M grind

Cameron Newport 2 plus

On 4/24/2023 at 5:01 PM, mrmikeac said:

Has anyone compared these two lines? I’m torn between the two.

In particular:

Ping PLD Anser D

Scotty Newport 2.0 Plus 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, seriously I need some help lol 

Anser D would be more similar to the Newport Plus with the more rounded edges/bumpers and shorter in length (from heel-to-toe), while the Anser 2D (which isn’t a retail PLD option) is more similar to the Newport 2 Plus

The PLD Anser D comes in at 365grams, regardless of length. 365g is a bit heavy for lengths > 34” in my personal opinion. The Newport 2 Plus has different weights for each length - I’m not sure what the exact specs are this year, but generally it’s (roughly) 340g-350g-360g for 35”-34”-33” Newports

Both have deepish milling, so both are relatively soft

Technically the Scottys have a higher MOI, especially the new Plus models, but MOI shouldn’t be a main factor in your decision unless all else is equal. You really ought to see them both in person and see which suits your eye.

If it were the Anser2D instead of the AnserD, it’d be a much tougher decision IMO. But I’d personally opt for the Newport 2 Plus over the AnserD - that’s just my personal preference, can’t go wrong with either

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

I play a heel shafted flowneck mid-mallet  (Odyssey #9, Scotty Cameron Del Mar style) so the PLD is not an option for me.  I will say this...if Ping made a PLD in that shape, no question I would play it.  Ping (Solheim) is the originator of the Anser style. Nobody has done it better.  Ping has much better customer service than Scotty Cameron  (I have dealt with both).   Ultimately it is up to you.   I love the feel of my Scotty Cameron Del Mar.  Putters are such a personal thing, try to go somewhere (if possible) to try both before purchasing. 

9 hours ago, Anser3 said:

I play a heel shafted flowneck mid-mallet  (Odyssey #9, Scotty Cameron Del Mar style) so the PLD is not an option for me.  I will say this...if Ping made a PLD in that shape, no question I would play it.  Ping (Solheim) is the originator of the Anser style. Nobody has done it better.  Ping has much better customer service than Scotty Cameron  (I have dealt with both).   Ultimately it is up to you.   I love the feel of my Scotty Cameron Del Mar.  Putters are such a personal thing, try to go somewhere (if possible) to try both before purchasing. 

Appreciate it! So, I probably should have mentioned this earlier but I’ve been going almost every day for the past week trying both out 😂

That’s how torn I am between the two, I came here to see what everyone’s experience is on course with both 

On 4/28/2023 at 8:43 PM, mjo23 said:

Anser D would be more similar to the Newport Plus with the more rounded edges/bumpers and shorter in length (from heel-to-toe), while the Anser 2D (which isn’t a retail PLD option) is more similar to the Newport 2 Plus

The PLD Anser D comes in at 365grams, regardless of length. 365g is a bit heavy for lengths > 34” in my personal opinion. The Newport 2 Plus has different weights for each length - I’m not sure what the exact specs are this year, but generally it’s (roughly) 340g-350g-360g for 35”-34”-33” Newports

Both have deepish milling, so both are relatively soft

Technically the Scottys have a higher MOI, especially the new Plus models, but MOI shouldn’t be a main factor in your decision unless all else is equal. You really ought to see them both in person and see which suits your eye.

If it were the Anser2D instead of the AnserD, it’d be a much tougher decision IMO. But I’d personally opt for the Newport 2 Plus over the AnserD - that’s just my personal preference, can’t go wrong with either

Have you tried the new Super Select Heavy putters yet?? I currently got the Special Select fastback 1.5 and enjoy it. Going to get a Super Fastback. On the fence if I want to stay with the standard weight or get the Heavy “plus” version. 

54 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

Have you tried the new Super Select Heavy putters yet?? I currently got the Special Select fastback 1.5 and enjoy it. Going to get a Super Fastback. On the fence if I want to stay with the standard weight or get the Heavy “plus” version. 

I haven’t, and I’m not actually sure if the Plus versions are heavier. They could be, but I think the idea was to re-arrange the weighting more towards the heel and toe (by taking weight away from the sole) to increase moi. Not sure if the total weight is different.

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

32 minutes ago, mjo23 said:

I haven’t, and I’m not actually sure if the Plus versions are heavier. They could be, but I think the idea was to re-arrange the weighting more towards the heel and toe (by taking weight away from the sole) to increase moi. Not sure if the total weight is different.

Yes the heavy version has 5 extra grams in each sole weight adding a total of 10grams to each head.

1 hour ago, NZ315 said:

Yes the heavy version has 5 extra grams in each sole weight adding a total of 10grams to each head.

Oh ok, I understand the heavier heel and toe weights. But it’s possible 10grams was removed from the sole (hence the sole plate) and then transferred to the heel-toe weights. Resulting in a higher MOI but same or similar overall head-weight

A sole plate (which the regular Newport and Newport 2 don’t have, just the Plus versions) generally means weight was removed from the middle of the sole, so it can then be transferred to the heel and toe weights in order to raise MOI

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

Pretty sure they just add weight to the sole weights. It is in their product description. 

1 hour ago, mjo23 said:

Oh ok, I understand the heavier heel and toe weights. But it’s possible 10grams was removed from the sole (hence the sole plate) and then transferred to the heel-toe weights. Resulting in a higher MOI but same or similar overall head-weight

A sole plate (which the regular Newport and Newport 2 don’t have, just the Plus versions) generally means weight was removed from the middle of the sole, so it can then be transferred to the heel and toe weights in order to raise MOI

44 minutes ago, NZ315 said:

Pretty sure they just add weight to the sole weights. It is in their product description. 

I think you’re confusing the sole plate with sole weights. The sole **plate** is a light-weight aluminum cover, it covers the middle section of the sole which has been milled out to transfer more weight elsewhere: to the sole **weights**, which are the actual weights located at the heel and toe82896B52-8734-4842-A93B-ACC0634F33EC.jpeg.d2e223f2693e149d6b012fac3701a47a.jpeg1F3ADF63-B50B-4631-93A7-67BB07D5C76A.jpeg.1ff042358cfdb16e3c80e9a2d7a2e935.jpeg

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X