Ancala Country Club ... anyone with experience or members there? Looking for info.

Qwiklap

I have been looking for a golf home since I got here to North Scottsdale in 2021.  I am on the wait list for DC Ranch, and my kids are already involved in Tennis activities there and we are pending a clubhouse membership.  I want a full golf membership - but with the equity memberships transferring above $280K and about $2K/month dues on top -- it's just too pricey right now.

I "randomly" got an ad from Ancala in my social feed, and responded - and got an almost immediate call back.  They don't have a wait list and are looking for new members (she told me a bunch of Canadians that joined in the pandemic left).

I am scheduled to visit the club on Friday.  I was told initiation and dues are much more affordable.  What I have read online re the course is mostly that it's a very tight course, perhaps built on too little land, and very much target golf (with several less-than-driver holes).

The main reason I want to join a club, beyond just loving golf, is that I want to be able to play with my kids, and allow my kids to enjoy the game.  My oldest boy (10yo) is getting pretty decent, and loves to play -- but hates to practice.  I want to allow him to get more playing reps, and I know that private clubs really open that up for juniors (if they are junior friendly).

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evo II 661 X (with 20g weight in butt)

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Taylormade MG4 56* and 60*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

I don't have any direct experience with Ancala, but keep in mind that it is owned and operated by Arcis, a golf management corporation that doesn't have the greatest reputation around metro Phoenix. Arcis is usually more interested in packing in as many people as possible and padding their bottom line than providing a top notch membership experience. It's not the same experience you would get at a member-owned club.  I had a brief but awful experience with another Arcis club in metro Phoenix back in 2018 and I heard that club got even worse after I left. I'd probably want to get an idea of how many members they have with golf privileges, how often the course is closed for outside events, and what the tee sheet looks like in peak season. The Ancala reviews pasted below from Google reviews seems to echo this; the italicized words below are pasted from those reviews and are not my words:

1:

Review from a newer member (joined in 2019).

Overall: Looking at reviews on Google, the majority of 5 star reviews are related to guests playing the course and weddings, and the majority of 1-2 star reviews are coming from current members. The majority of the problems noted seem to come from new ownership and tee time policies. If I was considering joining today, I would not join, this club has the feel of a mid-tier public course. I personally would get a Troon Card or look at another club if you play frequently.

The Good:
- The food & beverage staff inside the bar are outstanding. Very friendly / fast service in the bar. The food is good too. Great place to have a drink after the round.
-The head pro is awesome. I have seen multiple members take lessons with him and show dramatic improvements. Can't wait to personally get a lesson from him.
-The course: This is a club you join to play golf, not get spa treatments. The course is difficult and typically in great shape. If you hit a bad shot, you will be penalized.
-Course is perfect for walking. No cart needed.

The Bad:
- If you are joining a private club to have the flexibility to walk onto a course and get a quick 9/18 DO NOT JOIN HERE. The course is packed similar to a public course, and seems to have gotten worse.
- Tee Times: These are a joke. If you want to play Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday mornings. You need to plan 7 days in advance. For example the date of this review is Monday, and there is currently an opening to join a 3 some as a single at 1:48PM, a two-some at 2:15 PM and the first 4 some available is 2:51PM.
- Tee times #2: There is a 48 hour notice required to cancel your tee time or there is a $50 penalty. If members could cancel within 48 hours this might also free up last minute tee times.
-Due Increases: I joined in 2019 and my dues have gone up 21% since joining. Factor this in before committing the down payment. The only changes that I've noticed is an uncompleted gym (soon opening) and tee times harder to obtain.
- The bar should stay open for those that play later on Sundays and when they open the course up on Monday due to holidays. Think I speak for most golfers when they look forward to the 19th hole the most.

Stepping back and it seems the new owners are trying to push out older members in order to bring in initiation fees. I would caution anyone before joining.

2:

I have been a member since 2003, while I still enjoy the course and play with my friends, the situation is the worst it has been since I joined. Most of the folks I play with, share my frustration and disappointment. It is impossible to get a t time. We have a Tus. group comprised of 20-22 members who used to play as a group since 2006, after golf we used to enjoy a beer and/lunch. Not any more, (can't get the t times). On Thur. we had 12 members (different players). same fate. on Sat. we use to have 12 players, same fate . This past Thu. just our of curiosity, I checked four tees, at 6:01 am, first available t time was at 3:45PM, (lucky if you play 9 holes). The various "fixes" implemented by Arcis, are useless. No one in mgmt seems to understand the real issue. TOO MANY MEMBERS!!
There are currently upwards of 425 members plus playing spouses. An 18 holes course can not support over 600 golfers. My club back east, is capped at 325 members and has been since I have been a member in 1999. It appears that upper mgmt., is totally out of touch with the situation here at Ancala, Mgmt, doesn't care, or is insolated by the local Mgmt. The head Pro. is trying his best, but it appears his hands are tied. This used to be such a great club, members were proud to be here, now we have a reputation of a club that is expensive and the inability to get a t time, and no one seems to care. What a shame!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I don't have any direct experience with Ancala, but keep in mind that it is owned and operated by Arcis, a golf management corporation that doesn't have the greatest reputation around metro Phoenix. Arcis is usually more interested in packing in as many people as possible and padding their bottom line than providing a top notch membership experience. It's not the same experience you would get at a member-owned club.  I had a brief but awful experience with another Arcis club in metro Phoenix back in 2018 and I heard that club got even worse after I left. I'd probably want to get an idea of how many members they have with golf privileges, how often the course is closed for outside events, and what the tee sheet looks like in peak season. The Ancala reviews pasted below from Google reviews seems to echo this; the italicized words below are pasted from those reviews and are not my words:

Thank you for the info -- I have heard Arcis is not great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, kiddoc said:

And both last month sold, for $300k

Wow ...

• 4 weeks later...

It's been more than 20 years since I worked there so take my opinion FWIW. But from what I've heard on forums like this over the years, I don't think much has changed.

• Ancala is like the muni of North Scottsdale clubs. Just feels cheap, relatively speaking. Like others said, it's managed by Arcis, so there's your first idea of how things are.
  • The course is tight and tough. I wouldn't enjoy playing there every day, but I suppose it's a personal preference.
  • Not sure how junior-friendly it is. They had junior camps in the summer, but I recall those kids being even younger than 10. It was rare to see many kids playing with their parents back then but I don't know if the demographics have changed.

• 7 months later...