2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Gap wedge- CBX Zip vs RTX6

9ironiscash

currently gaming zx5 with a 50 deg cbx zipcore as a gap wedge. I only use the gap for full swings. Have the stock dg115 spinner shaft. Not really getting along with it and I’m pretty sure it’s more to do with the shaft than anything. 

i will be selling the cbx and either getting another one with the shaft I have in my irons, or going RTX 6 (as per my 54) with iron shaft matching. 

for those of you using the 50 deg rtx6, how are you finding it for full swings? Is it more logical to stick with a cbx?

my fitter also suggested possibly bending whatever I get 1 deg strong for proper gapping. That will take a mid bounce 10 deg RTX to 9 or an 11 deg zip to 10. Can i expect any negative effect from losing 1 deg of bounce? 

23 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

What irons and shafts are you currently gaming?

This 100%.  i play the same irons as the OP. I find the Zipcores to flow naturally into my ZX5s.  But I play the Modus 105, so it plays slightly heavier.  (I had a Modus wedge shaft in my CBX2 50*, but didn't like it as much as the DGS.)

The CBX Zipcore is such a natural blend to the ZX5s for full swings, I'd consider a reshaft before a totally different wedge. But that's just me.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 2

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

1 minute ago, mantan said:

This 100%.  i play the same irons as the OP. I find the Zipcores to flow naturally into my ZX5s.  But I play the Modus 105, so it plays slightly heavier.  (I had a Modus wedge shaft in my CBX2 50*, but didn't like it as much as the DGS.)

The CBX Zipcore is such a natural blend to the ZX5s for full swings, I'd consider a reshaft before a totally different wedge. But that's just me.

I agree with most of this.  If it is a distance issue, the OP might need to tweak the lofts.  If it is feel, a shaft change and tweaking the swing weight would be the best option.  I don't think changing to an RTX 6 is the answer.  Agree CBX makes for a nice gap wedge with this set.

• Like 1

I play a CBX 52 as my gap and a RTX zipcore in 56. I did not get along at all with the 115 spinner shaft. I play KBS stiff shafts in my irons and changed wedges to KBS hi rev 2.0 in regular to get more feel. The wedge shaft is heavier and softer. It works great. I really like the combo of the CBX and RTX because it gives me some different options. 

CBX Zips are soooo good. Best launch, spin, and carry dispersion of any wedge I’ve ever played. Plus they have a great soft feel and perfect sole grind.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 5/25/2023 at 9:12 PM, hammergolf said:

CBX Zips are soooo good. Best launch, spin, and carry dispersion of any wedge I’ve ever played. Plus they have a great soft feel and perfect sole grind.

Do you find any issues using the cbx for medium range pitch shots (ie- 40-60 yards)? I have always used a bladed wedge, and I don’t know if the bigger sole and slightly higher bounce doesn’t agree with me, or if the face is just a bit hotter than a bladed wedge. 
i will likely keep the cbx 50 and reshaft or sell and order with my iron shaft, then get an rtx6 In the 54 for all other non full shots. 

I have tried a 60-degree CBX Zipcore and really liked it out of bunkers and for pitch shots out of rough or off iffy lies. Compared to my usual Vokeys, no great loss of touch or control on those shots 40 yards and in.

But I use my wedges as full swing clubs, as well, and that's where the CBX Zipcore disappointed. Just never could get into a groove where I knew how far or how high the ball would go when trying to hit a 60-yard shot with the 60-degree. I think that had as much to do with the lightweight spinner shaft as with the size or shape of the clubhead. I think my wedge-swing timing over the years has been based on hitting Vokeys with full weight Dynamic Gold shafts. I was probably flipping a bit with the Zipcore.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

31 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I have tried a 60-degree CBX Zipcore and really liked it out of bunkers and for pitch shots out of rough or off iffy lies. Compared to my usual Vokeys, no great loss of touch or control on those shots 40 yards and in.

But I use my wedges as full swing clubs, as well, and that's where the CBX Zipcore disappointed. Just never could get into a groove where I knew how far or how high the ball would go when trying to hit a 60-yard shot with the 60-degree. I think that had as much to do with the lightweight spinner shaft as with the size or shape of the clubhead. I think my wedge-swing timing over the years has been based on hitting Vokeys with full weight Dynamic Gold shafts. I was probably flipping a bit with the Zipcore.

I agree- I definitely know the majority of the reason why I don’t get along with my cbx is the 115 spinner. The regular RTX shaft is much better for my quicker tempo. 

1 hour ago, 9ironiscash said:

Do you find any issues using the cbx for medium range pitch shots (ie- 40-60 yards)? I have always used a bladed wedge, and I don’t know if the bigger sole and slightly higher bounce doesn’t agree with me, or if the face is just a bit hotter than a bladed wedge. 
i will likely keep the cbx 50 and reshaft or sell and order with my iron shaft, then get an rtx6 In the 54 for all other non full shots. 

I haven’t had any issues at all. If you look at the way the sole is designed, it doesn’t play like a wide sole wedge at all. There’s not a lie my 50* or 56* can’t handle. They have the same amount of bounce as the RTX wedges, but the way the sole is ground it just gives you help through the rough, sand, or if you get a bit steep. I went to the CBX Zips from RTX5 wedges, and my yardages numbers, trajectory, and feel are all the same. Only thing I notice between the two is just how much more consistent and tighter the dispersion is with the CBX Zips. If I had any complaint, it’s that the 60* grind would have just a touch more ground off the heel to make it a little better with open face shots on tighter lies. I’m a good wedge player, so I didn’t go to these because I needed help. I just saw how consistent they were in terms of launch, spin, and carry distance with center and toe strikes. Besides that one little thing on the grind of the 60*, these wedges are great!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 3 months later...

I moved from the original CBX 54* to the RTX6 54*.  Same 12* bounce.

I think the original CBX had a much wider sole which was great for me when I returned to golf from a long layoff, but I grew not to care for more recently.  I also have had much less confidence with distance control on more finesse shots inside 60 yards and chip shots around the green.  That's probably more about me than anything though.

Now that I'm playing more often, I really do like the feel and look again of a bladed wedge.  Use whatever you feel most confident standing over and you'll likely get the best results.  I don't think technology wise they are that much different if you put a good swing on both clubs.