Nike platinum ball

Golfchicago

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played it this weekend for the first time, but did not play well. My driving game was off, so I can't comment on distance, but I can comment on wind play and short game.

Wind performance: GREAT. One of the few dolid drives I had was DEAD into a light wind/strong breeze. The ball held the line, and carried the full distance. I did not notice any loss into the wind.

Short Game: From 100 yards and in this ball is ON. GREAT on 1/2 and 3/4 shots, the ball stopped DEAD. No hop and stop, it just sat down and stayed. Really great for those tough 50 and 60 yard shots into the green.

Durability: GREAT. No marks, no scuffs, no cuts, even from wedges. Full shots left the ball still looking new. Could have played a ball for an entire round, if I didn't lose them!!

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

Durability:  GREAT.  No marks, no scuffs, no cuts, even from wedges.  Full shots left the ball still looking new.  Could have played a ball for an entire round, if I didn't lose them!!

5401[/snapback]

ive heard nike balls are durable, im sick of changing balls every 2/3 holes after hitting a wedge, even as low an iron as a 7irons will cut my ball if i punch it, but after wedge shots my prov1x is destroy'd. even though i'm getting balls for nothing i too wish i could play the same ball for the entire round instead of the cover peeling off like dry skin. maybe during my practice rounds ill drop a rock flight at 130 in!

𝗦ᴜɴ𝗧ʀᴜsᴛ 𝗧ᴀᴍᴘᴀ 𝗕ᴀʏ 𝗣ʀᴏ/𝗔ᴍ 𝗣ʀᴏғᴇssɪᴏɴᴀʟ 𝗖ʜᴀᴍᴘɪᴏɴ (-𝟭𝟮/𝟮𝟬𝟭)

68A7239E-AAC2-4873-AAB4-79AB07381822.png.1162e21eb149e0d7ca8526c3ec552f4c.png

DRIVER: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ 𝗤𝗶𝟭𝟬 𝗟𝗦 𝟴° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗚𝗞 𝗫𝗫

3 WOOD: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ 𝗤𝗶𝟭𝟬 𝟭𝟰.𝟱° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗙𝗪 𝗦ᴇᴠᴇɴ 𝗫

5 WOOD: 𝗖ᴏʙʀᴀ 𝗥ᴀᴅ𝗦ᴘᴇᴇᴅ 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝟭𝟵° 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗙𝗪 𝗦ᴇᴠᴇɴ 𝗫

IRONS: 𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ ᴘ𝟳𝟱𝟬 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏ 𝟯ɪ 𝗟ᴏᴏᴘ 𝗛ʏʙʀɪᴅ 𝟭𝟬𝟬 𝗫,𝗧ᴀʏʟᴏʀ𝗠ᴀᴅᴇ ᴘ𝟳𝟱𝟬 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏ 𝟰ɪ/ᴘ𝟳ᴛᴡ 𝟱ɪ-𝗣𝗪 𝗡ɪᴘᴘᴏɴ 𝗡.𝗦. 𝗣ʀᴏ 𝗠ᴏᴅᴜs 𝟭𝟬𝟱 𝗫

WEDGES: 𝗧ɪᴛʟᴇɪsᴛ 𝗩ᴏᴋᴇʏ 𝗦𝗠𝟭𝟬 𝟱𝟰°𝗙 𝗥ᴀᴡ/𝗧ɪᴛʟᴇɪsᴛ 𝗩ᴏᴋᴇʏ 𝗦𝗠𝟵 𝟱𝟴°𝗩 𝗥ᴀᴡ 𝗡ɪᴘᴘᴏɴ 𝗡.𝗦. 𝗣ʀᴏ 𝗠ᴏᴅᴜs 𝟭𝟮𝟬 𝗫

PUTTER: 𝗕ʏʀᴏɴ 𝗠ᴏʀɢᴀɴ 𝗗𝗛𝟴𝟵 𝗧ᴏᴜʀ 𝗣ʀᴏᴛᴏᴛʏᴘᴇ 𝗪ᴇʟᴅᴇᴅ 𝗙ʟᴏᴡ 𝗡ᴇᴄᴋ 𝟯𝘅 𝗕ʟᴀᴄᴋ

Basically just like nunee said in a nut shell but need to add one thing. This ball is deep of the tee with the woods. Didn't notice much distance gain off the irons but the woods is another story. I've been longer than my playing partners by about 15 yards or so. Now I'm another 15 yards longer with it. The combination of the ball and my new Diamana shaft's has really added some length to my tee shots.

ive heard nike balls are durable, im sick of changing balls every 2/3 holes after hitting a wedge, even as low an iron as a 7irons will cut my ball if i punch it, but after wedge shots my prov1x is destroy'd.

5728[/snapback]

I took a Platinum through a tree this weekend....Shhhh!!! Has bark scuffs and all. Took it to the ball washer, it looked like new.

I have NO IDEA what some people are playing if they complain about durability issues with the One Black or One Platinum. :busted_cop:

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130

I took a Platinum through a tree this weekend....Shhhh!!! Has bark scuffs and all.  Took it to the ball washer, it looked like new. 

I have NO IDEA what some people are playing if they complain about durability issues with the One Black or One Platinum. :busted_cop:

6473[/snapback]

havent had any duribility issues with the Black but the Gold seems to cut pretty easy, at least for me

I played the platinum this past weekend, I have always really like the gold and black. For some reason I found the platinum harder than the other balls. I noticed mostly on chipping, the ball seemed to hop off the face, I personally had a hard time chipping/pitching around the greens. Just a different feel, and maybe takes time to get used to... this along will probably keep me from playing this ball again however... that is combined with the price tag...

Very durable, I actually finished the round with the same ball, although I probably wouldn't use it on a nice course again, it was certainly still good enough for a round at the muni.

Distance, at least as long as the black, possibly as long as the hx tour. With the driver this ball was great. very consistant, long, trajectory nice and high, I carried at least as long as I have with other drivers, and found myself in the same positions when playing the longer balls like the hx tour and black.

Irons, for some reason my ball seemed to me like they were dropping out of the sky. I came up short on multple occassions from places I KNOW which club to pull and KNOW the distances. I don't know if I'm not spinning it enough, or spinning it too much, but all I can say is that it sure seemed like the ball would just fall out of the sky. Very dissappointing.

I think I'll stick to the gold....

... i was practicing in the middle of a scramble the other day, as they had a 3 hole gap in a shotgun start. so i got to hit a ton of shots for 12 holes. did a bunch of side by side with the platinum, b330, prov1x and the tl-tour. performance was pretty much identical. they all hold hard one hop and stop pitches well, the platinum a hair better than the other 3. the b330 is the worst for durability and i don't care for the crisp feel. the new prov1x also does everything well, except it is less durable than the other two. the tl-tour is the surprise. for $29 it does everything the b330 and prov1x does for a lot less and it's more durable.

... the plaitinum may have been the longest off the tee by a few yards. granted i may have been a little off with each swing, but the platinum was consistantly the longest or 2nd longest. pitches, chips and putting were outstanding, and it was the most durable of the group. kinda surprised me. i would not play the b330 or the prov1x at $45, but could easily play the tl-tour. imo, the $39 platinum was the best all around ball. not by a large margin for sure, but the durability puts it on top of my list...

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

I played the platinum this past weekend, I have always really like the gold and black.  For some reason I found the platinum harder than the other balls.  I noticed mostly on chipping, the ball seemed to hop off the face, I personally had a hard time chipping/pitching around the greens.  Just a different feel, and maybe takes time to get used to...  this along will probably keep me from playing this ball again however...  that is combined with the price tag...

Very durable, I actually finished the round with the same ball, although I probably wouldn't use it on a nice course again, it was certainly still good enough for a round at the muni. 

Distance, at least as long as the black, possibly as long as the hx tour.  With the driver this ball was great.  very consistant, long, trajectory nice and high, I carried at least as long as I have with other drivers, and found myself in the same positions when playing the longer balls like the hx tour and black. 

Irons, for some reason my ball seemed to me like they were dropping out of the sky.  I came up short on multple occassions from places I KNOW which club to pull and KNOW the distances.  I don't know if I'm not spinning it enough, or spinning it too much, but all I can say is that it sure seemed like the ball would just fall out of the sky.  Very dissappointing.

I think I'll stick to the gold....

6536[/snapback]

What is your swing speed? Maybe you aren't swinging hard enough to get the most out of this ball. I think it is the best ball for my game based on feel, distance, performance around the greens and durability.

I don't know what my SS is with my irons, but with my driver I'm pretty sure I'm in the 115 range. I hit my drive about 290 avg mostly carry. My 5 iron about 195 yards, 8 iron 150 pw 120. It's weird, I noticed especially on my approach shots, the ball was just short. Everytime I wanted hit a nice finesse shot in there I'd make great contact, but the ball just seemed to fall out of the sky about 15y short. And I was playing a course that I KNOW my distances on. With the driver it was just as long as the hx tour and the nike one gold and black. I don't really notice much of a difference, between these 3 balls distance wise off the tee. The HX tour might still be a little longer, I'm not sure...

I really liked the feel and I really liked the trajectory on full shots. Very consistant in both categories. On chips I thought they just popped off, very crisp, I'm still not sure if I like that or not.

It's a good ball don't get me wrong, but maybe I'm just not swinging hard enough, point is I don't want to swing that hard...

I just picked up a couple dozen of my pro's secret stash.....I'll test it tomorrow against the old Pro V1x, the new Pro V1x, the HX Tour and the Black.

We'll see. I've been using the old Pro V1x's and am about out from last years stock. I hate the new Pro V1x's. I'm told the new ones are a new design and a different ball but that the old Pro V1x's are actually the new Pro V1's. I'll start another thread to discuss this new bit of info.

Jim

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I will post a complete review and comparison in the "balls" section but in short......I hit it today. The V1x was 10-12 yards longer on every drive. With the irons...the NOP falls out of the sky 5 yards short, consistently. It was very odd but very consistent and shorter than the V1x with every club.

Quick decision....tne NOP is NOT for me.

I just picked up a couple dozen of my pro's secret stash.....I'll test it tomorrow against the old Pro V1x, the new Pro V1x, the HX Tour and the Black.

We'll see. I've been using the old Pro V1x's and am about out from last years stock. I hate the new Pro V1x's. I'm told the new ones are a new design and a different ball but that the old Pro V1x's are actually the new Pro V1's. I'll start another thread to discuss this new bit of info.

Jim

7391[/snapback]

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X