Wedge shafts to match with Modus3 Tour 105s

Potatohead

Looking to purchase some new wedges, probably a set of Jaws Raw. Callaway offers both the normal Modus Tour shafts as well as the wedge version. I currently have a set of Vokeys with S200's which fly ok on course, but still high. Off a mat with a range ball the launch angle is comically high. 

I would actually be really interested in trying the 8 iron 105x soft-stepped trick, but I highly doubt Callaway would build them that way. So I am trying to choose between the forementioned Modus shafts. Maybe modern wedge shafts make this trick redundant? I am not sure. 

My GW I really only use for full shots, and little pitches around the green where there is some green to work with. My SW I do use full shots, but also for 3/4 and 1/2 shots, and obviously around the green. LW I really only use inside 60 yards.

Thinking of the following combinations:

1 - GW - Tour 105s, SW - Wedge 105, LW - Wedge 115

2 - GW - Tour 105s, SW - Wedge 115, LW - Wedge 115

3 - GW - Tour 115s, SW - Wedge 115, LW - Wedge 115

Any thoughts?

I'd definitely check into whether Calloway would build them with X flex 8-iron shafts.  That doesn't seem like that "special" a request, but I build my own stuff, so I don't have any experience with trying to make such an order from an OEM.  And actually, the Modus 105's have a dedicated PW shaft, so you would probably want the X-flex 9-iron shaft in the gap wedge, and the X-flex PW shaft in the sand and lob wedges.  Howards (pinned) thread on the 8-iron spinner trick spells it out...  

Otherwise, I'd probably go with your option #2, since you use your GW for full swings mostly.  Ideally, you could "Tiger step" the PW shaft into the GW (basically, tip the PW shaft ~ 1/4" so it is not soft-stepped into the GW).  That's not going to radically bring down "comically high" launch angles, but it should help a bit.    

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

Thanks guys

I am leaning to just going into the wedge 115 shaft instead of the 8 iron (or as was mentioned, 9 iron for this shaft set) spinner thing. It's more simple and I watched a couple review vids last night with some pretty good data and the difference is somewhat minimal compared to a modern wedge shaft. Maybe a few hundred RPM and 1° launch at best. It seems that was a great thing before the wedge specific shafts came out though. 

I am 90% sold on option two. Part of me wants to do wedge 115 in the GW also but I think with mainly full swings it makes more sense to stick with what is in my irons. 

1 hour ago, Potatohead said:

I am 90% sold on option two. Part of me wants to do wedge 115 in the GW also but I think with mainly full swings it makes more sense to stick with what is in my irons. 

Both can work, you will just have to experiment.  FWIW, I use the 115 Wedge in my 52, and have used it in a 50 in the past.  Both worked just fine for me when I had Modus 105s in my irons.  For me, I like the "ascending mass" concept for iron shafts (AMT, AWT, etc.), so slightly heavier wedge shafts makes sense.  You just have to figure out for yourself what works for you for the shots you hit with each wedge.   If the gap wedge goes too high with the 105 PW shaft, then you could try the 115 wedge.  

• Like 1
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I just found this thread after chatting with a Titleist rep online. I asked them for a recommendation for shaft a new Vokey sand wedge (54*). I play Modus 105 stiff in my irons. The person on the other end of the chat said I should match the sand wedge with my iron shafts (105s). When I asked if I should go with a heavier shaft, she said, "Traditionally, we went a little heavier, but the more modern approach is to match them!"

Not sure what the hell to do now. LOL

2 hours ago, flubberlange said:

Unfortunately, it's a "feel" thing with wedges.  You will have to experiment yourself. Whatever helps you to put the middle of the club face on the ball is "right."   One reason folks often go heavier in wedges is that the longer hosels means you are cutting the shafts shorter, which takes a few grams off.   

• Like 1
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

13 hours ago, flubberlange said:

I just found this thread after chatting with a Titleist rep online. I asked them for a recommendation for shaft a new Vokey sand wedge (54*). I play Modus 105 stiff in my irons. The person on the other end of the chat said I should match the sand wedge with my iron shafts (105s). When I asked if I should go with a heavier shaft, she said, "Traditionally, we went a little heavier, but the more modern approach is to match them!"

It's personal preference.  The safe approach is to match your irons, assuming you like the Modus 105 in your irons.  Some players prefer heavier in their wedges for a little more feedback/awareness on partial or finesse swings.  An easy experiment is to take your shortest iron with the 105, PW or GW, and hit some partial shots.  If you're comfortable hitting those 75%, 50% and shorter pitch shots, that's a good sign that the 105 will work well for you in the wedges.  If you struggle to feel where the club is on partial shots, or struggle to maintain a good tempo, a shaft with a little extra weight could be in order.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2023 at 5:56 AM, RobS said:

It's personal preference.  The safe approach is to match your irons, assuming you like the Modus 105 in your irons.  Some players prefer heavier in their wedges for a little more feedback/awareness on partial or finesse swings.  An easy experiment is to take your shortest iron with the 105, PW or GW, and hit some partial shots.  If you're comfortable hitting those 75%, 50% and shorter pitch shots, that's a good sign that the 105 will work well for you in the wedges.  If you struggle to feel where the club is on partial shots, or struggle to maintain a good tempo, a shaft with a little extra weight could be in order.

Thanks so much for your comment. It’s fantastic. Never considered hitting partial shots with the shorter Modus 105 shafted irons for hints on wedge shafts. Really awesome.

• Like 1

I wanted to try lighter than a generic 130gm wedge flex shaft in my vokeys also. Seems reasonable. I was at my local shop and someone had special ordered a set of sm9s with Nippon NS PRO 105T stuff wedge shafts from titleist with golf pride tour velvet black out grips(lol but grips are sweet all black🤦🏻‍♂️) I play 105s steel fibers in my irons and have always loved the feel of Nippon shafts. Not a lot of info on them (ns pro 105t wedge shafts)online…bought them without knowing. So far so good. Really like them. Anyone know anything about these shafts?

1 hour ago, SofaKingPure said:

I wanted to try lighter than a generic 130gm wedge flex shaft in my vokeys also. Seems reasonable. I was at my local shop and someone had special ordered a set of sm9s with Nippon NS PRO 105T stuff wedge shafts from titleist with golf pride tour velvet black out grips(lol but grips are sweet all black🤦🏻‍♂️) I play 105s steel fibers in my irons and have always loved the feel of Nippon shafts. Not a lot of info on them (ns pro 105t wedge shafts)online…bought them without knowing. So far so good. Really like them. Anyone know anything about these shafts?

I've been playing these for a few years in my ap1 718 irons.  They're a special version of the 1050 gh; a little heavier but similar feel to the 950/1050 nippon shafts.  I don't have them in my wedges, but they should be fine if you like a lighter wedge shaft.

On 6/29/2023 at 10:39 AM, Potatohead said:

Looking to purchase some new wedges, probably a set of Jaws Raw. Callaway offers both the normal Modus Tour shafts as well as the wedge version. I currently have a set of Vokeys with S200's which fly ok on course, but still high. Off a mat with a range ball the launch angle is comically high. 

I would actually be really interested in trying the 8 iron 105x soft-stepped trick, but I highly doubt Callaway would build them that way. So I am trying to choose between the forementioned Modus shafts. Maybe modern wedge shafts make this trick redundant? I am not sure. 

My GW I really only use for full shots, and little pitches around the green where there is some green to work with. My SW I do use full shots, but also for 3/4 and 1/2 shots, and obviously around the green. LW I really only use inside 60 yards.

Thinking of the following combinations:

1 - GW - Tour 105s, SW - Wedge 105, LW - Wedge 115

2 - GW - Tour 105s, SW - Wedge 115, LW - Wedge 115

3 - GW - Tour 115s, SW - Wedge 115, LW - Wedge 115

Any thoughts?

Defintely Modus 105X 8 iron shafts straight in.

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I am a feel player and match swing weight as opposed of shaft profile.  Wedges are all about feel for me, so my SM9 48', 52' & 58' Vokey's have DG S200, at D3 – D5, SW.  My set 620 MB & CBs have MMT 105s at D2 SW. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Since I ordered a set of irons with Modus 105’s I am wondering the same thing as OP now. What did you end up going with last year, and how did it work out?

My first thought was the same as OP’s option #2, 105S in the gap wedge and then 115 wedge shafts in the SW/LW. But I have no idea how the 115 wedge shaft plays, just going off weight.

I have always played S200’s in my wedges, and have always disliked the feel of the TT spinner shaft.

5 hours ago, mikes919 said:

Since I ordered a set of irons with Modus 105’s I am wondering the same thing as OP now. What did you end up going with last year, and how did it work out?

My first thought was the same as OP’s option #2, 105S in the gap wedge and then 115 wedge shafts in the SW/LW. But I have no idea how the 115 wedge shaft plays, just going off weight.

I have always played S200’s in my wedges, and have always disliked the feel of the TT spinner shaft.

I have just gone back to the modus 105 and have been searching for alternatives also. I play my set gap wedge so I stick with the 105 there.

I have tried the 115 wedge shaft and I liked it around the greens but did not like it for anything over a half swing. It’s a little counterbalanced and feels a little light to me. Also felt quite soft.

I ended up trying the Modus 125 37” shaft but not the wedge specific. I noticed that the 125 played quite a bit firmer to flex than the 105 so I went down to the reg flex and liked it. 

I thinking of trying the 37” modus 115 this year as it isn’t quite as big of a jump in weight as the 125.  

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB