2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

1, 1 golf shot. 2, 2 golf shots…

SollyinGA

One of my regulars doesn’t seem to be able to count much less know basic penalties procedures and how to score them.

I used to play in tournaments against him, but I’ve let him know that I know he’s cheating and that I won’t be associated with him during an actual tournament.

The guy insists that he doesn’t do it on purpose, but he flat out guesses his score on each hole based on how others do on the same hole.

Several in the group including myself have tried to limit playing with him, but outside of golf he is a good guy and refuses to play with people he doesn’t know if he can help it.

I try to tune him out, but he’s always chirping about his score and seems to take some pride in it somehow. Honestly, I’m not sure how he could take pride in a bogus score, but I don’t understand why he doesn’t realize he’s cheating. We don’t play for money. 

He does invite several in the group to play in scramble tournaments which is nice, but he cheats in those too. We are always concerned that we will be grouped in with him during those tournaments, but we are always mid pack so far so no real damage done.

Anyone ran into this type of situation before? Anyone have any advice on how to handle it?

Again, I’ve called him out on it. He gave me the standard, ‘How dare you accuse me of cheating!’. I then remind him that I’m in the cart with him when he fishes his ball out of the water and claims that he’s still dry or the countless foot wedges back into play from out of bounds.

I play with a guy who plays loose with the rules and keeps score.  He once took a 7 on a par 4 where his first 3 balls off the tee went into the woods (and no, he didn't hole out his fourth tee shot).  I said something to him a time or two, but it just annoyed him and made him very defensive, so I stopped.  Now we (me and others in the group) just chuckle when he announces his score at the end of a round.  I have no idea how anyone gets satisfaction out of a bogus score, but as long as there is no money involved, whatever floats your boat...

• Like 1

Years ago, played with a friend who was new to the game. We noticed his announced score was usually a stroke lower than it actually was. I called him on it. He replied, "But you gave me that putt!?"

He didn't realize you have to count it, just don't have to putt it.

Too funny.

• Haha 1

I try to ignore people like this, and fortunately I have yet to play with someone who brags about fantasy scores. I basically let it be known if we are not playing for anything, do whatever you want and I don't care what your "score" is.

But if we are playing for money or otherwise any real competition, then I will call them on it. Again, I've been lucky in that I've never had to deal with a chronic cheater in this scenario. I'd have to say it would probably not end well in the situation as described by the OP. If buddy kept bragging about bull scores I'd call him out and probably ask what was wrong with him. Probably would result in me not playing with that person anymore, especially if money was on the line.

• Like 1

Why is it, when stuff like this is posted, the tag line is always "he's a good guy off the course".  If he's cheating at something as trivial as golf, then he's probably doing other unsavory crap in life to get an advantage or get ahead.   If that's what you're showing the world, then what you are doing behind closed doors....  

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

21 hours ago, SollyinGA said:

The guy insists that he doesn’t do it on purpose, but he flat out guesses his score on each hole based on how others do on the same hole.

FrenchWarpedHatchetfish-size_restricted.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Former teammate played loose with his score. Both in qualifying and during tournaments. He would shoot 40-42 over 9 holes for quali, then magically shoot 75 or better during the tournament. We knew he was cheating but no solid way to do anything about it. 

Unlike OPs playing partner he was not good off the course lol. He assaulted a girl and got removed from the college. Much better without him. 

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Kai’li White 60 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Why is it, when stuff like this is posted, the tag line is always "he's a good guy off the course".  If he's cheating at something as trivial as golf, then he's probably doing other unsavory crap in life to get an advantage or get ahead.   If that's what you're showing the world, then what you are doing behind closed doors....  

true, you never really know someone, but he does come off as a good person.

I will say that there are a lot of people that have mentioned his cheating to me to see if I had noticed it. I’ve had one flat out say that he would never play for money with him in the group.

I've played with people who can't count, take very generous drop locations, or just plain don't know the rules.  If they are interested in learning what they should be doing in terms of rules, or how they should be scoring, I'll offer my opinion on the situation.  But if we aren't playing for anything...then really I don't give a rip how they play or score themselves so long as they don't play slow.  I generally play golf for fun, and I'm not out there to lecture anyone on play unless it's actually impacting others or being rude.  At the end of the day, if someone who should have shot 110 says they shot a 95...I couldn't care less.  If they want to brag about it...cool story bro.  If they want to play for money the next time...nah...no thanks.

If this guy honestly refuses to keep a correct score in a tournament he invited me to...I'd just decline.  Honestly, if you know he's cheating in a tournament while you're in the group, you have a responsibility to report it, and DQ your own team if necessary.  Letting it go is just as bad a reflection on you as it is on him in a tournament.  So I'd just decline the invitation as not to have to put myself in that situation.  

• Like 1

He’s only cheating himself. I know someone who routinely uses “should-scoring”, I.e. “I should’ve made par there since I was distracted on that short missed putt…”

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

On 6/29/2023 at 9:45 PM, SollyinGA said:

One of my regulars doesn’t seem to be able to count much less know basic penalties procedures and how to score them.

I used to play in tournaments against him, but I’ve let him know that I know he’s cheating and that I won’t be associated with him during an actual tournament.

Several in the group including myself have tried to limit playing with him, but outside of golf he is a good guy and refuses to play with people he doesn’t know if he can help it.

I try to tune him out, but he’s always chirping about his score and seems to take some pride in it somehow. Honestly, I’m not sure how he could take pride in a bogus score, but I don’t understand why he doesn’t realize he’s cheating. We don’t play for money. 

He does invite several in the group to play in scramble tournaments which is nice, but he cheats in those too. We are always concerned that we will be grouped in with him during those tournaments, but we are always mid pack so far so no real damage done.

Anyone ran into this type of situation before? Anyone have any advice on how to handle it?

Again, I’ve called him out on it. He gave me the standard, ‘How dare you accuse me of cheating!’. I then remind him that I’m in the cart with him when he fishes his ball out of the water and claims that he’s still dry or the countless foot wedges back into play from out of bounds.

It has been mentioned more than once, but if you don't play for anything, just let it be. If it really annoys you, our group solution was to come up with a little $, playing a twosome best ball match play. Big advantage is that everyone gets to play their own game, but if you want to win the hole and our team went par-bogey, then you better believe that we know that you're putting for par (with that previous drop) and not birdie - and we call you on it : 'great change to tie the hole here!'

• Like 1

95% of the time I don’t care how someone keeps their score as it’s just a causal round. They can play their game and I’ll play mine and I’m not worried what they’re putting on their card. Now those times when it’s a money game all those lie improvements and relief you’re giving yourself that’s not happening. 

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

Some time, when it does not matter, do the same thing to them.  It is eye opening.  Card a 64 with his rules.

Know a guy who will hit putts from 1-10 feet with the toe of his putter as he walks up to the ball.  If he misses, then he counts them like it was a gimmie.  I did it one round... walked right up to a 8 footer, did not read or mark it and hit it with the toe... putt missed by a foot and I told everybody that I got a birdie.  I did it a few more times that day - made a few, missed a few but counted them all out loud.  Dude did not even say anything.  I wanted him to say something so that I could tell him that I just wanted to try his type of game out... just this once.

I had to play with him once in a pretty big event.  He only did the toe putt once and he made it, but I was going to give him every stroke.

If something is at stake, it is best to just nicely tell them other people might not be as cool about the antics and to play it straight-up today.  No judgement.  Just a good friend tying to help.

IMO, you can always help with scoring of wired situations, rules, etc. and feel fine.

In a casual round don’t care what others do. If it’s some kind of tourney I would definitely call them out.

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

• 2 months later...