6i 160

7i 150

8i 140

9i 130

PW 120

48° 105

54° 90

58° 75

I knows these distances are not bad I'm (50yrs old) have back and heart issues. I play to a 6hdcp. But what can I do to pick up a few yards if nothing but my Driver? I'd love to pick up a few yards with every club but definitely would like some more with Driver.

I play Srixon ZX5 MKii LS driver and Srixon ZX5 irons. Cleveland zipcore wedges. Any help would be appreciated!

4 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Lots you can do. It kind of leads to what have you done? For most players swing improvements are the key. But for some it is going to be stretching and working on their body a bit. 

Well I've never worked on my Swing because I'm a pretty good ball striker all ready, and I always have that if it's not broken leave it alone mentality. As for as stretching I don't do much of that, definitely could do more

2 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

Well I've never worked on my Swing because I'm a pretty good ball striker all ready, and I always have that if it's not broken leave it alone mentality. As for as stretching I don't do much of that, definitely could do more

Three hours of yoga a week should help allot then. 

• Like 2

Get in the gym.  Do strength training, cardio and dynamic and/or static stretching first.  When you've been accustomed to a routine, add in Olympic lifts and plyometrics.  Work on speed training as well either at home or at the range.  Use a light stick and heavy stick.  Also, hit 30-50 balls as hard as you can at the range.  Don't worry about where it goes.  I pretty much have my clients who golf from your weekend hacker to tour pro go through this program.  You'll thank me later. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

18 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Get in the gym.  Do strength training, cardio and dynamic and/or static stretching first.  When you've been accustomed to a routine, add in Olympic lifts and plyometrics.  Work on speed training as well either at home or at the range.  Use a light stick and heavy stick.  Also, hit 30-50 balls as hard as you can at the range.  Don't worry about where it goes.  I pretty much have my clients who golf from your weekend hacker to tour pro go through this program.  You'll thank me later. 

I have a cable machine gym at home. Do you have any particular exercises I can do on it? I don't have the room to do like full swing pulls and that sort of thing. Is the speed stick trainer worth the money?

Edited by Bsudgolf

TRX bands, Rip Trainer, GolfForever…all relatively inexpensive and don’t require a lot of space to use.  Get the core going, and get used to moving fast with certain exercises.  Speed sticks are fine, but you have to be careful.  MyTPI will help you get more creative with you cable machine.  YouTube is your friend here.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Hit 20 drivers 2-3 times a week all out as fast as you can. Best to do it with some sort of feedback device to let you know when you're actually swinging faster. Your body will adapt quickly and I'd imagine you could gain 10mph in a month doing it 2-3 times a week. Don't waste your time with "training aids", just do the real thing over and over again and let your body figure out how to go faster.

source: Did the same last winter although higher reps went from 119 to 131 max in a month of doing it. Have stopped during this season and lost most of the gains but still a hair faster at 122ish now.

Edited by CSagan
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, CSagan said:

Hit 20 drivers 2-3 times a week all out as fast as you can. Best to do it with some sort of feedback device to let you know when you're actually swinging faster. Your body will adapt quickly and I'd imagine you could gain 10mph in a month doing it 2-3 times a week. Don't waste your time with "training aids", just do the real thing over and over again and let your body figure out how to go faster.

source: Did the same last winter although higher reps went from 119 to 131 max in a month of doing it. Have stopped during this season and lost most of the gains but still a hair faster at 122ish now.

I do have a PRGR, do i have to actually hit balls or can i just swing the driver I use?

31 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

I have a cable machine gym at home. Do you have any particular exercises I can do on it? I don't have the room to do like full swing pulls and that sort of thing. Is the speed stick trainer worth the money?

You can actually do a lot with just a cable setup.  Start with the basics like chest press, cable flyes, shoulder press, cable pull down, cable rows, cable squats, back extensions, cable curls, cable tricep extensions, front, side and bent over raises for shoulders.  You can do crunches with the cables if you get a yoga ball.  Leg raises on a flat surface.  If you have an ankle attachment strap you can even do exercises that work the adductor and abductor. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

The gym will help a lot, just be careful since you have back issues. Lift for repetition instead of weight and especially focus on rotational exercises and stretching before and after workouts. Maybe look to youtube for golf specific exercises, plenty of resources out there if you have the time to dig.

Stealth 2 Plus 8º

Stealth 2 Plus 3W 14º

Apex UW 19º

ZX7 MkII 4i, Z-Forged MkII 5-9i 

RTX 6 Raw 46º 52º 56º 60º

Yes Abbie Tour Forged

Z-Star Diamond

10 minutes ago, jdizzy12 said:

The gym will help a lot, just be careful since you have back issues. Lift for repetition instead of weight and especially focus on rotational exercises and stretching before and after workouts. Maybe look to youtube for golf specific exercises, plenty of resources out there if you have the time to dig.

That's why I'm just wondering if Bands and some kind of speed training would be the better route 

9 minutes ago, Bsudgolf said:

That's why I'm just wondering if Bands and some kind of speed training would be the better route 

At a minimum I would do the bands, resistance training and stretching will help in the short term significantly. However, building up a short but effective routine with weights would be really beneficial in the long term if the back and heart problems still linger. I'm not saying it has to be two hours in the gym everyday, but 30 minutes with weights 3-4 times a week would work wonders. As for speed specific training, some speed will come with this kind of training, but consistency and speed won't come without a foundation. That's why I would try to start at least a little bit in the gym.

• Like 2

Stealth 2 Plus 8º

Stealth 2 Plus 3W 14º

Apex UW 19º

ZX7 MkII 4i, Z-Forged MkII 5-9i 

RTX 6 Raw 46º 52º 56º 60º

Yes Abbie Tour Forged

Z-Star Diamond

8 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Three hours of yoga a week should help allot then. 

This. Yoga translates very well to golf. At 50ish, your mobility is getting ready to start fading exponentially, unless you start doing something about it. Yoga helps you gain control of your body at end ranges of motion which is where aging people start losing their strength first. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Fuscinator said:

This. Yoga translates very well to golf. At 50ish, your mobility is getting ready to start fading exponentially, unless you start doing something about it. Yoga helps you gain control of your body at end ranges of motion which is where aging people start losing their strength first. 

Well at 270lbs I've got to figure out how the hell I'm gonna do Yoga 🤣

25 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

240 yds @ 93 mph is pretty good. At 270 lbs you're no ballerina but all the exercise posts could help. Are you sure your shaft is maximizing your swing ?

I just changed driver for the first time in four years and picked up 10-15 yds on the shaft change after much testing this spring.

When I say 240 that's total not carry, but that's still pretty much in line with distance charts and SS. And as far as shaft I'm not sure about it but again I'd say I'm pretty much in line for Distance/SS

Edited by Bsudgolf

As already stated, it's more working on speed and flow rather than swing changes, hitting 20 balls 3 times a week at full speed is great, you can do the dry swings without a ball to warm up, almost like a swing speed protocol, then hit the 20, doesn't matter where they do, or where you hit them on the face, it's all about getting the body to go faster and control that speed better over time.

It is an issue i suffer from where i just guide the club through the swing, swinging at 70%, but the more you practice speed with the driver, the more you get for that 70%, it'll take a while to translate on the course but stick with it.