2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Average driving distance by handicap

According to Arccos, total distance including rollout. We all know about distance being a big helper for the scorecard, so is that just chicken and egg?

Or is there more to it, since these numbers are averages off all drives it’s probably not only related to swing speed but also strike consistency. If half your drives are topped, completely sliced with huge spin numbers and/or result in a 180 yds shot because a tree got in the way - are those numbers saying more about speed and/or accuracy and/or ‘not missing it badly often’ ?

IMG_0055.jpeg

These numbers are interesting. At a modestly difficult club course from the big boy tees, I would think it would require an incredible short game and long irons to average 240 off the tee and maintain a scratch or plus handicap. 

However, you bring up a good point about the ones that catch a tree branch and get knocked down playing a role in the average. When we are discussing average drive, it’s always “average good drive”. Never the 220 yard low heel spinner into the wind. I’m not sure how many of those are needed to really bring down the average significantly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

These numbers are interesting. At a modestly difficult club course from the big boy tees, I would think it would require an incredible short game and long irons to average 240 off the tee and maintain a scratch or plus handicap. 

However, you bring up a good point about the ones that catch a tree branch and get knocked down playing a role in the average. When we are discussing average drive, it’s always “average good drive”. Never the 220 yard low heel spinner into the wind. I’m not sure how many of those are needed to really bring down the average significantly. 

There are several tees at the course I play where you hit an iron or a hybrid off several par fours (and a 3W off a few par fives).

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 minute ago, iacas said:

There are several tees at the course I play where you hit an iron or a hybrid off several par fours (and a 3W off a few par fives).

Does Arccos count other clubs besides driver for this? I have no idea, never used it. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Pro Platinum Newport 2

Just now, iacas said:

Ya same. There are 2 holes at my course where if you carry driver more than about 220, you have to hit an iron off the tee. But how does that change the conversation? 

Yeah, so, I goofed. I was in the mental space of another app and its data which is "average tee shot distance," but this one is clearly labeled "driver distance." The one I was thinking of tells you the average distance of every tee shot distance on par fours and fives. Mine is over 30 yards less than my average driver distance.

Sorry for the waste of time and bits. I apologize.

• Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

5 minutes ago, JetSpeed79 said:

At first I thought this was the wrxer avg 7i distance chart. 

Well ..... maybe 5i.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver - Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

20 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

That’s why I was wondering since, if you drive it 260 on 12 of your drives but the 13th is a cold top 120yds and the last one hits a tree and drops at 120yds also - then you average 240yds for that round… 

So, are scratch guys more of the 270ish and occasional 160er… or consistent 240ish ‘bunters’… probably a mix of both with the former representing the majority

Now, if we look at the higher caps groups…

25 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

I don’t think it takes into account the tee box one is using or the course rating/slope. So some of those

low handicaps could be from shorter tees and/or easier courses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Varry_Hardon said:

That’s why I was wondering since, if you drive it 260 on 12 of your drives but the 13th is a cold top 120yds and the last one hits a tree and drops at 120yds also - then you average 240yds for that round… 

So, are scratch guys more of the 270ish and occasional 160er… or consistent 240ish ‘bunters’… probably a mix of both with the former representing the majority

Now, if we look at the higher caps groups…

Scratch guys aren't rolling their drives... Maybe once a month. 

• Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

1 minute ago, GoGoErky said:

I don’t think it takes into account the tee box one is using or the course rating/slope. So some of those

low handicaps could be from shorter tees and/or easier courses.

That's not how handicaps work ... You don't get a low handicap playing short/easy courses ... Unless you go stupid low regularly.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 minute ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Fair statement - I was just trying to find a way to state that 12x 260 + 2x 120 would give a 240 round average… let’s say both this hit trees close to the aim point (or dogleg or else)… maybe those guys don’t exist and it’s just that scratch guys truly hit it 240 including rollout (?)

2 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

It would be interesting to see the median drive as opposed to the average drive to get a feel for the "normal" driving distance, not an average distance skewed by the occasional horror shot.

Agreed, as a 3ish cap, my median is 258 but average it drops to 246 (coming from those horror drives) - why I plan rounds with that median number in mind when mapping it and not my average distance 

7 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

This ... You think a plus is topping a 110 drive once a round? I'm a 3, and I think I've hit 1 truly gnarly drive my last 15 rounds. And I average about 240 with my driver.

Edited by tatertot

3 minutes ago, Varry_Hardon said:

Fair statement - I was just trying to find a way to state that 12x 260 + 2x 120 would give a 240 round average… let’s say both this hit trees close to the aim point (or dogleg or else)… maybe those guys don’t exist and it’s just that scratch guys truly hit it 240 including rollout (?)

USGA figures that a scratch golfer drives the ball 250  total.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

1 minute ago, tatertot said:

This ... You think a plus is topping a 110 drive once a round? I'm a 3, and I think I've hit 1 truly Word not allowed drive my last 15 rounds. And I average about 240 with my driver.

We’re in the same boat, so I’m guessing we can toss out the ‘crew’ that would be ‘wild bomber scratch dudes’… thus, that average speaks more to consistency and accuracy than pure speed (?)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Varry_Hardon said:

We’re in the same boat, so I’m guessing we can toss out the ‘crew’ that would be ‘wild bomber scratch dudes’… thus, that average speaks more to consistency and accuracy than pure speed (?)

Distance gives you a better potential. Still gotta figure out how to keep it on the planet. And learn how to hit a half wedge. Play with a lot of my fellow long knockers and they just don't know how to take distance off a club. 

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

The bad drive distance will be influenced a lot by where you play.

I play a tight tree-lined course where any low offline shot will clank a tree and usually go straight down or even backwards.

E.g. a low hook that might roll out to 250 on an open course could go 100 on my course when it dings a tree and comes backwards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe my perceptions are skewed because when I play with scratch golfers, it’s in AGA tournaments that regularly play over 7000 yards. 

It’s possible those attract the longer hitters, but 240 average with driver is just something I don’t see. 

• Like 1

Pro Platinum Newport 2

I will go anecdotal on this question

I think much of this depends on course length. 

I’ll speak in terms of “average good drive”

All of the plus caps at my club are at least 270-280 total and many are over 300 total on their good drives. I don’t personally know any plus cap 230-240 players. Definitely some in the low single digit realm. 

One example… 15 time club champion and traveling plus index at my club is now 72 years old, in fantastic shape but says he has lost 40-50 yards on his driver over the last 2 decades. His good drives are now about 240-250 total. Because my club employs the 85 rule (your handicap plus your age), and he is still a low single digit, he is not eligible to play the up tees in competition. He has as good of a long iron and short game as anyone but has gone from breaking par to shooting 75-78. He says that the sole reason is the loss in distance. I will say that it’s certainly not for lack of short game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sean124 said:

Maybe my perceptions are skewed because when I play with scratch golfers, it’s in AGA tournaments that regularly play over 7000 yards. 

It’s possible those attract the longer hitters, but 240 average with driver is just something I don’t see. 

As the OP I’m trying to figure out this one also, maybe those are are pluses and ‘not only scratch’ - as I’m a decent stick (nothing to write home about though) and can ‘easily’ send it over 250 (especially total rollout) and I don’t think off the tee is a definite skill of mine, so I’m trying to figure out that 239 total drives average for scratch guys

As the OP I’m trying to figure out this one also, maybe those are are pluses and ‘not only scratch’ - as I’m a decent stick (nothing to write home about though) and can ‘easily’ send it over 250 (especially total rollout) and I don’t think off the tee is a definite skill of mine, so I’m trying to figure out that 239 total drives average for scratch guys

Maybe only short hitters use Arccos?

5 minutes ago, Varry_Hardon said:

The average range in my groups seems to be 2 to +2. I like to look up their caps. 

Almost every one of them hits 3 wood longer than 240. 

Pro Platinum Newport 2

Who cares what some chart says? I prefer to utilize the evidence on the course.

Every now and again I come across a golfer that loves to talk about his longest drives and I'm always waiting for him to take his second shot......

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Something about this just seems off, because according to this I'm a plus cap off the tee, and while that is probably the strength of my game, it's not plus cap. 

Looking at the graph there's no distance unit labeling on the y axis, so if it's meant to be read as meters that makes a lot more sense. 

Edited by Roejye
Typo

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft