2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

PXG Irons - 0317 CB vs 0311 P

Mikey_HACKilroy

1 hour ago, JetSpeed79 said:

Went in today to talk to the PXG guys about doing a blended bag and was saddened to learn that they no longer carry the shafts I have on my 311 Ps: modus 105s. Looks like I’m going to have to do a new fitting for the 317 CBs to see what will work. Was really hoping to keep it consistent across the bag shaft wise. 

Did  they give you any reason, the 105 is an extremely popular shaft ?

10 minutes ago, slalomdude said:

Did  they give you any reason, the 105 is an extremely popular shaft ?

I asked, but they just kind of mumbled something about a contract expiring (possibly). No one seemed very sure. I also asked if they had anything comparable or similar we could try. They did not. 

This is not to knock the people there. They are always great and generally pretty knowledgeable, but there weren’t many answers to be had in this case. 

52 minutes ago, JetSpeed79 said:

I asked, but they just kind of mumbled something about a contract expiring (possibly). No one seemed very sure. I also asked if they had anything comparable or similar we could try. They did not. 

This is not to knock the people there. They are always great and generally pretty knowledgeable, but there weren’t many answers to be had in this case. 

Interesting as I thought they may have directed you to KBS Lite 

8 minutes ago, slalomdude said:

Interesting as I thought they may have directed you to KBS Lite 

They are having a breakage issue with KBS Lite shafts.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

3 hours ago, JetSpeed79 said:

Went in today to talk to the PXG guys about doing a blended bag and was saddened to learn that they no longer carry the shafts I have on my 311 Ps: modus 105s. Looks like I’m going to have to do a new fitting for the 317 CBs to see what will work. Was really hoping to keep it consistent across the bag shaft wise. 

weird. I was in for a fitting 3 weeks ago and that was one of the shafts I tried

PXG fitters would know.   I have also gamed for over a month now a combo of G60311P in my longer irons (5-6) and 0317 CB in my shorter (7-PW).   PXG had my CB’s bent 2% strong to blend perfectly with my 0311’s.  I swear it’s the best of both worlds in my bag now.   I can’t speak for everyone, depends on your game, what you’re looking to get.  I’m a 6 hcp now and play often so for me, shaping, attacking greens with spin and holding the greens was important.  I just found the 0311’s for me in the 7-PW was almost too much club.  Yeah the thin face filled with goo was hot but I kept flying many of my approach shots to the greens.  We all want more distance, I get it.  For me, I just figured out what was right for my game.   I didn’t need super hot clubs all throughout my bag.  For me it’s not needed.   When the CB’s first came out and I tried them I just knew that was the club for me.  The feel and performance are  amazing.  My entire set just feels perfect now.  So dialed in.  The entire PXG lineup is just so scary good you really can’t go wrong either way.   

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

still don't under stand if this a KBS issue or an PXG issue with KBS

If I remember correctly, I think KBS had the same issue when they first released the Tour 90. Hit a knock on KBS, as I played Tour 90 shafts for a long time.

2 hours ago, slalomdude said:

At the tip ? 

Yes

Pending an actual fitting, this is the at least a preliminary idea of what I think would flow nicely. Not that I necessarily have my heart set on this exact set-up but I've been considering putting a 3-Iron back in my bag. Not reason other than it being a nice option for a "driving iron" and I think my current hybrid setup proves I don't really need two of them. As a result, one of the hybrids has to go, and so I figured replacing the two hybrids with a single adjustable Gen 6 would be a nice touch.

Then of course, if I did that, why not replace the 3 Wood that I have. 😄 😄

Gen 6 works out for me because the 13 Degree Loft available. I like the lower range for the woods, but with the adjustable hosels these days, I feel like the 3W and hybrid would cover a pretty wide range that I could adjust for different needs. (I'd figure course to course, not necessarily every shot; that's not practical unless the course is deserted and I'm playing alone.... LOL)

I feel like the gapping is reasonable given the bends. Retains a 3 degree change for the longer irons, steps up to 4 and then 5 for the mids and shorts.

Subject to change of course.... LOL

Club Loft Club Model Bend Adjustable / New Loft
3W 13 Gen 6 N/A 11.5 - 14.5
HB 17 Gen 6 N/A 15.5 - 18.5
3 21 CB -2 19
4 20.5 P 1.5 22
5 23 P 2 25
6 26 P 2 28
7 33 ST -1 32
8 37 ST -1 36
9 42 ST -1 41
W 46 ST 0 46

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

15 hours ago, JetSpeed79 said:

As of Spring 2022, they had a huge order in with Nippon, however they were only given 10% due to Supply Chain constraints and told it would be a while before the full order would be fulfilled...You can source the 105 from Golfworks or through their various eBay names when in stock, they're all shipped from their warehouses...

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Pending an actual fitting, this is the at least a preliminary idea of what I think would flow nicely. Not that I necessarily have my heart set on this exact set-up but I've been considering putting a 3-Iron back in my bag. Not reason other than it being a nice option for a "driving iron" and I think my current hybrid setup proves I don't really need two of them. As a result, one of the hybrids has to go, and so I figured replacing the two hybrids with a single adjustable Gen 6 would be a nice touch.

Gen 6 works out for me because the 13 Degree Loft available. I like the lower range for the woods, but with the adjustable hosels these days, I feel like the 3W and hybrid would cover a pretty wide range that I could adjust for different needs. (I'd figure course to course, not necessarily every shot; that's not practical unless the course is deserted and I'm playing alone.... LOL)

I feel like the gapping is reasonable given the bends. Retains a 3 degree change for the longer irons, steps up to 4 and then 5 for the mids and shorts.

3 21 CB -2 19
4 20.5 P 1.5 22
5 23 P 2 25
6 26 P 2 28
7 33 ST -1 32
8 37 ST -1 36
9 42 ST -1 41
W 46 ST 0 46

I would suspect you going to have a large gap in yardage between the st 7 iron and p 6 iron.  I would think it’s going to be 20+ yards?

7 degree gap plus you going to get a much hotter, lower spin ball flight from the p series given your going from a slim low tech players iron to a hollow body distance iron.

Yeah, it's a work in process really; I'd have to test it out to see just what the gap would really be all things considered.  I could adjust the bent to be 2 degrees strong to get that variance down between the 6 & 7.

So I think you're right about that. I could probably live with the gap between the 9 and Wedge being 6 degrees, but that would tighten up the gap between the P and the ST.

In the end, I'll try all of them once I'm ready. I simply don't feel like I'll be going in for a fitting until I'm consistently striking my irons on the course as well as I do on the range.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

On 8/5/2023 at 10:09 PM, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

3 21 CB -2 19
4 20.5 P 1.5 22
5 23 P 2 25
6 26 P 2 28
7 33 ST -1 32
8 37 ST -1 36
9 42 ST -1 41
W 46 ST 0 46

If you have the game to play the ST’s then you’ll be just fine playing the CB’s in the longer irons. 

I'm actually steering in that direction. Although, I feel the definition of "significantly" can be subjective based on the golfer.

I believe the Irons I'm currently hitting are similarly lofted to the CB/STs. Given the design of both the PXG lines, I even think a center strike will add significant distance as it is. So if I'm striking my current 33 Degree 7 Iron - say 170 yards on a good strike (I'm still compiling distances so I don't yet have a reliable average), I should probably add yardage with the new blades versus the old clubs on a good strike.

A big part of me wants the accomplishment of learning to strike blades..... So, if anything this exercise has proven to me that I'm hell bent on doing that. So, I think it is time to schedule a fitting. 😄 😄 😄

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

I'm actually steering in that direction. Although, I feel the definition of "significantly" can be subjective based on the golfer.

I believe the Irons I'm currently hitting are similarly lofted to the CB/STs. Given the design of both the PXG lines, I even think a center strike will add significant distance as it is. So if I'm striking my current 33 Degree 7 Iron - say 170 yards on a good strike (I'm still compiling distances so I don't yet have a reliable average), I should probably add yardage with the new blades versus the old clubs on a good strike.

A big part of me wants the accomplishment of learning to strike blades..... So, if anything this exercise has proven to me that I'm hell bent on doing that. So, I think it is time to schedule a fitting. 😄 😄 😄

I suspect you will see the difference st/cbs to be around 170 for the 7 iron, maybe 175.  

Assuming your are at sea level or there abouts, If you hitting the your current 7 iron 170 you have have some club head speed.  I would assume the p series 8 iron would fly around 170-180.  

Gapping wise, playing two 7 irons might be perfect.

drop 3 cb -will most likely be shorter than p 5.

4=p

5=p

6=p

7=p

7=st

Edited by Pnwpingi210
  • Like 1

In all likelihood I'm stopping at the 4-Iron. I just think having 3 wedges is better than having a 3 iron. The double 7 iron is an interesting suggestion. I hadn't thought of that.

Finally scheduled a fitting today. For 12.50 I couldn't pass it up. 😄 😄 😄

Hopefully I get to try both sets.

3 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Finally scheduled a fitting today. For 12.50 I couldn't pass it up. 😄 😄 😄

Hopefully I get to try both sets.

Looking at their site, it says they only have 120 g and 95 g stiff shafts available and nothing in between…that can’t be right. 

No Modus 105, DG 105, or KBS Tour Lite. 

Their stock of shafts seems to change quite a bit so that might be different in a month or so. When I was oogling 6 months ago I saw a bigger selection that has since gone down.

I'm not sure I want the Tour Elevate, for example. Yet, I don't know that I want 130g KBS shafts either....

37 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Their stock of shafts seems to change quite a bit so that might be different in a month or so. When I was oogling 6 months ago I saw a bigger selection that has since gone down.

I'm not sure I want the Tour Elevate, for example. Yet, I don't know that I want 130g KBS shafts either....

Exactly. I also wonder if they offer a different selection in fittings than they do online. I can’t imagine going into a fitting and they say they only have 2 shafts that for your profile. 

Edited by Lefty87

That makes sense, actually. It would encourage folks to come in rather than ordering straight off the website. In doing so, you'd limit bad reviews from people that aren't happy with your clubs when really it could have been their off the shelf pickings....

1 hour ago, Lefty87 said:

Exactly. I also wonder if they offer a different selection in fittings than they do online. I can’t imagine going into a fitting and they say they only have 2 shafts that for your profile. 

When they get lower in stock, they tend to take off website until replenished...They've done this for years...Plus, people are claiming the KBS lights are having tip breakage issues...First I heard of it, but if that's the case, they may have pulled them like they did the chipping black putter shafts from a couple years ago...Best thing to do is call them or go to a store if you're looking for a specific set-up...

Well, I'm ready to go for my fitting tomorrow. Did some iron practice today to determine the best irons to bring for warm-up and to base the fitting off of (to some degree).

I figure 7-9 for warm-up. Those ones seem to help me naturally establish rhythm. Kind of stoked. 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Well, I'm ready to go for my fitting tomorrow. Did some iron practice today to determine the best irons to bring for warm-up and to base the fitting off of (to some degree).

I figure 7-9 for warm-up. Those ones seem to help me naturally establish rhythm. Kind of stoked. 😄

Keep us in the loop 

14 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

Keep us in the loop 

I had a fitting Thursday and the DG 105 was easily the best shaft for me in terms of trajectory and dispersion. I currently play DG 105 S300. R300 gave me higher launch. Blend of P’s and XP’s Black Label Elite. 

Edited by Lefty87

Well, the fitting went well, but strangely I seemed to be terrible with the 0311P. I think I was just tired. I also was struggling with the Standard Sized Grips; I asked if they had any Mid-size, but they did not.

That said, I got plenty of good shots. Ended up with DG120 X100 shafts and maximum weight in the heads. I guess Hercules here needed more weight... LOL.

Recommended Club: 0317CB for 3-6 and STs for 7-W if at all. (Mishits were a bit more punishing obviously)

I've got some things to think about. I'm considering actually buying a full ST set and then a 5 & 6 CB so I can try both in the long run and see. I could sell the STs if it doesn't work out. More clubs to buy, but I'm not convinced those strikes today were my best strikes.

The MCC+4 Midsize grips on my clubs give me a lot more control than the Standard PXG grips. My hands were struggling with those, unfortunately.

That said, I would not be unhappy going with the fitters recommendation. I kind of wanted to get a proper match for weight and shaft stiffness more than anything. I'm stubborn, so I probably will do what I already said.... 🤣

Club Loft Club Model Bend New Loft
FW 13 Gen 6 N/A 11.5 - 14.5
3 21 CB(Same in ST Set) 0 21
4 24 CB(Same in ST Set) 0 24
5 27 CB/ST 0 27
6 30 CB/ST 0 30
7 33 ST 0 33
8 37 ST 0 37
9 42 ST 0 42
W 46 ST 0 46