2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

PXG Irons - 0317 CB vs 0311 P

Mikey_HACKilroy

I’ll give you a tip on trade in stuff here.  Dont bother trading in for money back.  Take your clubs to a golf galaxy or PGA superstore, see if they can give you store credit on the trade of your clubs.  Much better in my opinion and you can use the credit on good clothing or balls at those stores especially with fall clothing coming out now.  I recently did that and my wife is very happy now buying all the new fall Q zips and fall clothing that’s coming out.  Happy wife….

Edited by mtnbiker5

10 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

I’ll give you a tip on trade in stuff here.  Dont bother trading in for money back.  Take your clubs to a golf galaxy or PGA superstore, see if they can give you store credit on the trade of your clubs.  Much better in my opinion and you can use the credit on good clothing or balls at those stores especially with fall clothing coming out now.  I recently did that and my wife is very happy now buying all the new fall Q zips and fall clothing that’s coming out.  Happy wife….

Problem is those places routinely give you terrible trade in value

• Like 4

15 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

I’ve done both. When I don’t feel like dealing with the hassle of a sale and shipping, I’ll go to GG or another local place. BUT, you get anywhere from 30-50% more when you sell for cash. It’s not an insignificant amount. 

• Like 1

I figure if I got a golf shirt or two for my adams clubs, I'd be pretty happy LOL.

Be that as it may, I probably will keep them for a while. Regardless of what I buy, I intend to game them on the range first so I can acclimate. I'll be going from DG Lite Stiff to DG 120 X100, so that alone will require an acclimation period. That way, when I go play a round I won't be seeing much poorer performance.

I honestly feel like you've gotta phase it in when you're still in the improvement phase (i.e. getting better, but not yet a low capper).

After that, I'll probably keep the Adams Irons. They were the first set I actually bought myself.

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

1 hour ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

I figure if I got a golf shirt or two for my adams clubs, I'd be pretty happy LOL.

Be that as it may, I probably will keep them for a while. Regardless of what I buy, I intend to game them on the range first so I can acclimate. I'll be going from DG Lite Stiff to DG 120 X100, so that alone will require an acclimation period. That way, when I go play a round I won't be seeing much poorer performance.

I honestly feel like you've gotta phase it in when you're still in the improvement phase (i.e. getting better, but not yet a low capper).

After that, I'll probably keep the Adams Irons. They were the first set I actually bought myself.

So you went to a heavier and stiffer shaft and a more demanding head and trying to lower your cap?! Let us know how it goes 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mobert19 said:

So you went to a heavier and stiffer shaft and a more demanding head and trying to lower your cap?! Let us know how it goes 

In all fairness it wasn't my idea to go to the 120s with the X100 profile. Yet, the fitter did recommend a full set of CBs or at least starting the STs at the 7-Iron. So I'm just evaluating whether I buy two 5s and 6s to work out the "best combo" as I play.

So ya, I'll come back and let you all know how I like the set-up once I receive them and play a bit. (probably next week to buy one I clear out the storage unit for good).

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

Just thinking; what sort of wait time do folks see with PXG? I figure it wouldn't be as drastic as the biggest manufacturers. I may (or may not 😄 ) call in to order this weekend but it fully depends on the situation with my storage unit (if I can get it cleared out). Saving that $$ will enable me to buy the clubs.

22 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Just thinking; what sort of wait time do folks see with PXG? I figure it wouldn't be as drastic as the biggest manufacturers. I may (or may not 😄 ) call in to order this weekend but it fully depends on the situation with my storage unit (if I can get it cleared out). Saving that $$ will enable me to buy the clubs.

2 weeks for mine. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Nice and fast, huh? 😄 At least that means I don't have to rush to get in an order to have them before the good season ends.

13 minutes ago, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Nice and fast, huh? 😄 At least that means I don't have to rush to get in an order to have them before the good season ends.

As long as your shafts are in stock yeah. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I believe they are given what he fit me. I also noted online the wood shafts I was going to add are also in stock. (Decided to throw in a hybrid and a Strong 3 Wood)

Will they put literally whatever grip I want on there? Or do they have limited choices as their website suggests?

On 8/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, realmfg said:

I have 6-W CB and 5-4i in Gen5 T.  Wish I went all CB.  They are really forgiving and look Fantastic down by the ball.  I had the Gen3 Ps and they were great, but just too big at address.  When I got the Ps, I compared them to my Zx7s and Zx7s won out.  Now the CBs took the bag.

When you say the CBs are really forgiving, can you elaborate?  What is your handicap? 

I am about a 12 handicap, and coming from p790s, hit the ball too low, and would love more spin and higher launch.  Solely based on the CB 7i numbers on the trackman, i loved them

Went to a PXG fitting, and the 0317 CBs won out, but this is inside and only hitting a 7i

The numbers were great, and better launch/spin vs the gen 5/6 P model- my only concern is my ability to hit the longer irons in the 0317 CBs

Thank you!

5 minutes ago, want2bpro said:

When you say the CBs are really forgiving, can you elaborate?  What is your handicap? 

I am about a 12 handicap, and coming from p790s, hit the ball too low, and would love more spin and higher launch.  Solely based on the CB 7i numbers on the trackman, i loved them

Went to a PXG fitting, and the 0317 CBs won out, but this is inside and only hitting a 7i

The numbers were great, and better launch/spin vs the gen 5/6 P model- my only concern is my ability to hit the longer irons in the 0317 CBs

Thank you!

I fluctuate from a 10-12 hcp.  My miss is thin, The CBs are super forgiving for me on thin misses.  I am getting a higher ball flight and more spin with the CBs.  Probably from going to a more traditional type loft.  The CBs also fly pretty far for me.  I have a set of SGI irons here as well and my best scores are coming from the CBs.   I was also concerned about the longer irons of the CBs, so only ordered up to 6i.  Well, I've hit the 6i so well, I have the 4i/5i being delivered next week.  If you had a good fitting, trust it.  You also have 30 day return policy (you won't need it).  An added bonus is they look incredible down at the ball and look Fantastic in the bag.  I play better when I love the look of my clubs.

3 hours ago, realmfg said:

I fluctuate from a 10-12 hcp.  My miss is thin, The CBs are super forgiving for me on thin misses.  I am getting a higher ball flight and more spin with the CBs.  Probably from going to a more traditional type loft.  The CBs also fly pretty far for me.  I have a set of SGI irons here as well and my best scores are coming from the CBs.   I was also concerned about the longer irons of the CBs, so only ordered up to 6i.  Well, I've hit the 6i so well, I have the 4i/5i being delivered next week.  If you had a good fitting, trust it.  You also have 30 day return policy (you won't need it).  An added bonus is they look incredible down at the ball and look Fantastic in the bag.  I play better when I love the look of my clubs.

I think you just helped put me over the top

My numbers were great, and noticeably better than gen 5/6 P---i tend to hit the ball low too, and the peak height and spin were all better w the CBs

also did not lose any carry whatsoever w the more traditional lofts---thank you!  

• Like 1

Well, there's no going back now. 😄  😄  😄

1 hour ago, want2bpro said:

I think you just helped put me over the top

My numbers were great, and noticeably better than gen 5/6 P---i tend to hit the ball low too, and the peak height and spin were all better w the CBs

also did not lose any carry whatsoever w the more traditional lofts---thank you!  

I’ve got a set of cbs.  They fly as far as anything in the players cb category with the exception of the p770s and zx7’.  Both of those carry more due to loft and or spin reduction.

I just put in a purchase for the 0317STs + a Gen5 Hybrid @ 17° and a 2 Wood @ 13°.

Ended up going with 3-PW (3-4 are CB Heads) and Smoke Yellow 70 for the Wood, and Riptide 80 for the Hybrid.

Now.... uh.... to go tell the wife.... (I told her I was gonna set up to buy tomorrow but I couldn't wait LOL)

Is it normal to check order status every hour? LOL

image.jpeg.b3c850c0a72bd06ab98d397e59844972.jpeg

• Haha 2

Shipping! 😄

image.jpeg.b7bf66cdd6005c3d4a4e18901457a458.jpeg

!!!

image.png.29af667b9d3c4a225640b7d341ff58a4.png

Happy Birthday GIF

On 8/15/2023 at 9:05 PM, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

Just placed order on Aug 8th for the 0317st...Clubs were on the Fedex truck for delivery on the 18th.  Delivered on 22nd, because Fedex sucks.  Scottsdale to Chicago. 

Placed previous order for the cbs in Chicago to pick up at Scottsdale store 30 days ago.  They were ready for pick up in 2 days from order being received.

Did not care for the 0317CBs.  They felt dead coming off the face compared to the way they felt in fitting.  They also came in D6.7 SW, supposed to be D3.  They were ordered std length i thought.  However, we decided to match same length as the previous Gen5T order/fitting that I thought was std pxg length, but they were 1/2" longer.

I take the blame here.  Even got the spec email and still didn't catch it with both sets.  Then again, I didn't educate myself on what pxg std length #s are for a 7i vs industry standard, vs my old 2004 mizuno mp32 irons.  So, I'm an idiot and poor listener for the most part. Paying the restocking fee and redoing order for the 6-9i st and cb in the 4&5i...🤞

Not giving up on PXG just yet, but to answer OP, I would go for what fits your eye best, then what feels best to you.  The shaft options should allow you to hit whatever #s your looking for regardless of model IMO.

I felt the 7-Iron did feel a little dull with the PX LZ when I tried that combo, but with the DG 120 it was a lot better. So maybe that might have had something to do with it. Standard length should be industry standard, though. So +1/2 must have been noted on there.

I did check the spec chart, and also emailed PXG to make sure the note to leave the grips in the box was on there since I have trust issues. So everything did check out there 😄

I will say this, I was really bummed that they didn't have midsized grips. Before getting back into golf my hands were fine. Then I started feeling a lot of joint and what felt like bone pain and it still persists (probably because I won't give it a rest LOL). My fingers mash into my lower palm on both hands with standard grips; they're too small. The grip would slip and I'd have to make a conscious effort to stabilize. I could do that, but the cost was more pain.

The same thing was happening in the fitting, so I didn't get a full read on everything, and I couldn't settle in and got fatigued a bit early. I really think they ought to have more than just standard grip sizes in a fitting. Yet, it was still effective for what I needed. I just felt I would have gotten a better read on the ST club, but the trajectory was not all that bad; I was just missing left in the way I do with my current clubs when I get out of control. There's a big difference between a Standard Grip and MCC+4. Midsize.

Funny thing is, Monday is my Birthday, so it has worked out on delivery time, LOL.

I hate waiting.....

On 8/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, BirdieBob said:

Entirely different irons with the 0311P being a Player-Distance iron while the 0317CB is a Players iron.

The P will provide more distance with its 30* 7 iron compared to the 33* CB. Also if you are not a great ball striker then the P will provide better results on offcenter strikes.  The CB is a soft feeling CB when the strike is in the center of the face and offcenter strikes also fare well due to the design of the iron.  The soles of the two are different with the CB being narrower for better turf interaction by comparsion to the P.  The P is a larger size head vs the CB.

Spin goes to the CB with more loft, so with firm greens that will help vs the P.  The height of the launch of the P is pretty good so that will help some.

I have had both irons and choose to stay with the CB as that is the iron that meets my needs better.

Good luck on your decision and picking the iron that works best for your needs!

I fully agree with this. I’m in the process of switching to the CB. What I will give up in distance will be made up in spin, control and consistency. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:41 PM, Soccerrick10 said:

I fully agree with this. I’m in the process of switching to the CB. What I will give up in distance will be made up in spin, control and consistency. 

Honestly, I didn't find any real distance loss according to the sim; but we'll see today as I hopefully am able to get out to the range with the new clubs. 😄

I feel like I should bring the old 7-Iron and one of the Hybrids for comparison just to see what the difference is in each club. I don't expect much distance change. The Adams clubs were GI Irons, but in the 7+ they're solid and more like cavity backs. They're also similar lofts as compared to the new clubs. I expect a somewhat seamless transition with the irons.

I think the Hybrid/Wood transition will be more difficult. Heavier Shafts and Heads are likely to throw me off. The old ones are light weight in comparison.

All I can say is HOLY s***! Why didn't I buy these in January?

STs are hot of the face compared to the old irons. 3 and 4 CBs are not at all as hard to hit as I thought they would be.

The blades ROCK!

This! Is! Awesome!

Soldiers Falling GIF

On 8/31/2023 at 5:59 PM, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

All I can say is HOLY s***! Why didn't I buy these in January?

STs are hot of the face compared to the old irons. 3 and 4 CBs are not at all as hard to hit as I thought they would be.

The blades ROCK!

This! Is! Awesome!

Soldiers Falling GIF

Funny I sent my 0311P 4-PW back today. Really didn't like the feel of them and my dispersion both left to right and front to back was really bad. Probably more the KBS Tour Lite shaft's fault. Going back to ZX5/ZX7 combo w/ Modus 120

15 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

Funny I sent my 0311P 4-PW back today. Really didn't like the feel of them and my dispersion both left to right and front to back was really bad. Probably more the KBS Tour Lite shaft's fault. Going back to ZX5/ZX7 combo w/ Modus 120

I also sent the Ps back this year to stay with my Zx7s.  But, I got the CBs and they kicked the Zs right out the bag.