2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Caddy at Ballyliffin, Portsalon, Rosapenna?

No need for a caddy at Glashedy or Portsalon. I'd only use one at those courses if I was close to being exhausted from playing too much golf. I haven't played St Patrick's, but I've played the other courses at Rosapenna and there's no need for a caddy on Old Tom or Sandy Hills. 

PS I was in my 60's when I walked those courses

On 8/3/2023 at 11:40 AM, Chug_in_OC said:

Do I need/want a caddy for Ireland?

I’m playing Glashedy at Ballyliffin, Portsalon, and St. Patrick’s at Rosapenna.

I’ve read that it’s a good idea for St. Patrick’s but can’t find much on the others.

Any advice would be appreciated.

St. Pats is a long walk, so a caddie there might be good. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to for Sabram the great advice.  I'm the same vintage and here was my experience on my visit to Ireland.

We played Glashedy Links at Ballyliffin and got a nice yardage book with a sweet cover from the pro shop upon arrival. Unfortunately I had plenty of time to study the distances as the round took almost 5½ hours to play. No need for a caddy as the course is pretty straightforward and not a difficult walk with a push cart.

Portsalon was the kind of local’s course I was hoping to play. We enjoyed the experience despite the winds that were a steady 20 mph and gusting up to 40. The course was empty but picked up as we were leaving as the Friday afternoon game commenced. We warmed up with a really nice bowl of seafood chowder and cheese toastie after a 3½ hour round and a half dozen lost balls.

We were given yardage books upon check in at St. Patrick’s Links at Rosapenna. We really never used them as we hired caddies which was a good decision. They really did enhance the experience starting on the first hole and where to aim our initial tee shots. After that they helped with distances in some windy conditions - “It’s 200 yards - hit your 150 club” or “It’s 140, hit your 180 club” - and were spot on. They were also able to negotiate to play through 3 slower groups and we finished in 3½ hours, where 5 hours is typical. They certainly saved me a least 5 strokes and I earned a little caddy respect by not losing a ball.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chug_in_OC said:

Thanks to for Sabram the great advice.  I'm the same vintage and here was my experience on my visit to Ireland.

We played Glashedy Links at Ballyliffin and got a nice yardage book with a sweet cover from the pro shop upon arrival. Unfortunately I had plenty of time to study the distances as the round took almost 5½ hours to play. No need for a caddy as the course is pretty straightforward and not a difficult walk with a push cart.

Portsalon was the kind of local’s course I was hoping to play. We enjoyed the experience despite the winds that were a steady 20 mph and gusting up to 40. The course was empty but picked up as we were leaving as the Friday afternoon game commenced. We warmed up with a really nice bowl of seafood chowder and cheese toastie after a 3½ hour round and a half dozen lost balls.

We were given yardage books upon check in at St. Patrick’s Links at Rosapenna. We really never used them as we hired caddies which was a good decision. They really did enhance the experience starting on the first hole and where to aim our initial tee shots. After that they helped with distances in some windy conditions - “It’s 200 yards - hit your 150 club” or “It’s 140, hit your 180 club” - and were spot on. They were also able to negotiate to play through 3 slower groups and we finished in 3½ hours, where 5 hours is typical. They certainly saved me a least 5 strokes and I earned a little caddy respect by not losing a ball.

How was the condition at St. Pats? Had heard they were having some issues with the fwys.

This begs the question of how many consecutive days of 18 holes of golf can you play without exhaustion.

I realize its age related. I am about to play 20 rounds in 21 days in England which I think will be the absolute limit for me, age 73. I did the same in Ireland about 5 years ago at age 68 and it was very close to the max.

This would be walking. Carts and caddies can lighten the load. Maybe those in their 40s and 50s can tell us their limits.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chanceman said:

This begs the question of how many consecutive days of 18 holes of golf can you play without exhaustion.

I realize its age related. I am about to play 20 rounds in 21 days in England which I think will be the absolute limit for me, age 73. I did the same in Ireland about 5 years ago at age 68 and it was very close to the max.

This would be walking. Carts and caddies can lighten the load. Maybe those in their 40s and 50s can tell us their limits.

As you said, I think it depends on if you’re walking or in carts. I played 13 consecutive rounds in Ireland walking and it was a battle the last couple days. However, I’ve played almost every day for the 6 weeks with a cart and I’m fine. 

At 71 I played 15 games in 11 days in Ireland this past June.  4 of those on a buggy (cart). No problem walking, with caddie handling the bag.  I do work out 2x a week though, but mostly ride at home, even with a cart there’s a fair amount of walking on my hilly home course.  I’m not overweight, or have any health issues.  YMMV, pun intended.  

On 8/27/2023 at 12:54 AM, hammergolf said:

How was the condition at St. Pats? Had heard they were having some issues with the fwys.

In July it was horrible. Greens were almost worse. Cool layout but conditions from the heat are bad. Which really sucks as the other 2 courses where in pretty solid shape on property 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just got back and played the 3 courses you asked about. St Patrick's is the only one I would take a caddy on. It's a long walk and quite hilly. Conditions were fair at best, grass in the fairways was thin and the forecaddie and starter told us to play ball in hand and move it to grass if we wanted. St Patricks was also a 5 hour round and they told us it would be before we teed off. The other 2 were in great condition and a blast to play. The week we were there it was sunny and 75 every day. Very comfortable coming from south carolina but unseasonably hot for NW Ireland.

• Like 1

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

On 9/16/2023 at 7:59 PM, CDLgolf said:

I just got back and played the 3 courses you asked about. St Patrick's is the only one I would take a caddy on. It's a long walk and quite hilly. Conditions were fair at best, grass in the fairways was thin and the forecaddie and starter told us to play ball in hand and move it to grass if we wanted. St Patricks was also a 5 hour round and they told us it would be before we teed off. The other 2 were in great condition and a blast to play. The week we were there it was sunny and 75 every day. Very comfortable coming from south carolina but unseasonably hot for NW Ireland.

Where else did you play? I’ve heard that from many guys about the conditions at St. Pats. Sone were saying it was just baked out from the hot/dry summer, but this confirms that it’s much more serious than that. Hope it grows on over the winter, but heard they may have to replant.

Edited by hammergolf

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Where else did you play? I’ve heard that from many guys about the conditions at St. Pats. Sone were saying it was just baked out from the hot/dry summer, but this confirms that it’s much more serious than that. Hope it grows on over the winter, but heard they may have to replant.

We played Strandhill, Enniscrone, Narin and Portnoo, St Patrick's, Portsalon, and Ballyliffin Glashedy links. It was my first trip to Ireland and it was fantastic.  Enniscrone and Ballyliffin were my favorite courses. The others were also good courses with fantastic views. St Patrick's is a great layout it's just in poor condition right now. When they can get the grass to fill in it will be a great course.

• Like 1

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Ping i200 6 - UW

Odyssey #7 putter

3 hours ago, CDLgolf said:

We played Strandhill, Enniscrone, Narin and Portnoo, St Patrick's, Portsalon, and Ballyliffin Glashedy links. It was my first trip to Ireland and it was fantastic.  Enniscrone and Ballyliffin were my favorite courses. The others were also good courses with fantastic views. St Patrick's is a great layout it's just in poor condition right now. When they can get the grass to fill in it will be a great course.

Great trip! Enniscrone and Narin & Portnoo are very underrated in my opinion and I’ve played pretty much all the links in Ireland. Carne however is my favorite. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Great trip! Enniscrone and Narin & Portnoo are very underrated in my opinion and I’ve played pretty much all the links in Ireland. Carne however is my favorite. 

Thanks, I hope to get back to Ireland again. Our trip organizer has been several times, all over the country and he said this was one of his favorite trips. I'm not sure if he's played Carne but I'll tell him to look into it. He said he's going to plan another trip for next fall.

• Like 1

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Ping i200 6 - UW

Odyssey #7 putter

3 hours ago, CDLgolf said:

Thanks, I hope to get back to Ireland again. Our trip organizer has been several times, all over the country and he said this was one of his favorite trips. I'm not sure if he's played Carne but I'll tell him to look into it. He said he's going to plan another trip for next fall.

Don’t get me wrong, Lahinch, Ballybunion, Tralee, Waterville, Dooks, Doonbeg, and Old Head are great. However, the courses in the West are every bit as good as the more famous ones and half the price. There’s so many great courses to play in Ireland. They are truly blessed with an abundance of incredible courses. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1