2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Current iteration Pro v1 vs TP5x

Lord Helmet

I wasnt able to find anything here- if there is a thread pls point me in that direction.

Ive been a TP5x player for a bit - but something about the current iteration doesnt agree with me and my swing.

Been thinking about trying out a pro v1.  I have only ever hit the 1x for any amount of time.

What will I see, experience, expect from these 2 offerings.

Driver launch/spin, speed

Iron - same

Wedges - spin around greens

Putter - feel

Thanks so much!

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

No idea what's going on but I went to the beach last winter with hardly any golf balls in my bag and bought a box of the current TP5X. It has to be one of the worst-performing balls (for my game) I've experienced in the modern era. No idea why but iron shots were low and short, driver shots would look good in the air but somehow end up 10-15 yards shorter than normal and over 2-1/2 rounds I couldn't get any sense of touch of distance control chipping and putting. 

I know that sounds totally mental and it may be. But I used the last couple sleeves of them for a couple rounds when I got back home and it was the same experience. Just crazy poor performance. 

I'm a short-hitting low-teens handicapper who struggles with driver distance (200 yards is pretty typical) and iron trajectory (I have trouble holding firm greens with anything shorter than a 9i or maybe 8i on a good day. So not really in the TP5X demographic. But Pro V1 and especially Pro V1x work great for me, always have. And I have a vague recollection of using either TP5 or TP5X for a short while maybe five years ago and not having any trouble with it. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 4:25 PM, North Butte said:

No idea what's going on but I went to the beach last winter with hardly any golf balls in my bag and bought a box of the current TP5X. It has to be one of the worst-performing balls (for my game) I've experienced in the modern era. No idea why but iron shots were low and short, driver shots would look good in the air but somehow end up 10-15 yards shorter than normal and over 2-1/2 rounds I couldn't get any sense of touch of distance control chipping and putting. 

I know that sounds totally mental and it may be. But I used the last couple sleeves of them for a couple rounds when I got back home and it was the same experience. Just crazy poor performance. 

I'm a short-hitting low-teens handicapper who struggles with driver distance (200 yards is pretty typical) and iron trajectory (I have trouble holding firm greens with anything shorter than a 9i or maybe 8i on a good day. So not really in the TP5X demographic. But Pro V1 and especially Pro V1x work great for me, always have. And I have a vague recollection of using either TP5 or TP5X for a short while maybe five years ago and not having any trouble with it. 

Hey, thanks for the post - waited until I had 9 holes in to reply.  I used pro v1 on 3, 1x on 3, and tp5x on 3.  Pro v1 felt and performed the worst.  TP5x was the winner for me with 1x real close.  Could play either ball really.  Another round Sunday to try again.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

On 8/7/2023 at 4:25 PM, North Butte said:

18 hours ago, j.b.newton said:

@Lord Helmet

Mind telling us a little about your game?  

Swing Speed/Spin/Flight/etc?

When you say performed best/worst - is that simply related to score or what metrics?

Thanks!

Hi.  Im a regular guy.  Driver SS around 105.  Quick transition.  Can impart loads of spin on shots.  The pro v flew shorter and had more backspin on shots.  Im a high ball hitter.  It just didnt feel right to me. Dull feeling, which is subjective I know.  This is all vague I know, best I can offer.  Ive decided on Sunday when I play to use 1x for 9 and TP5x for 9.

Sorry if I havent given you a real amount of information.

Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

The New 2023 ProV1x might just be a TP5x with a Titleist logo on it. I have always played a Titleist and used the Left Dash for the longest tenure of 3 seasons. One of my playing partners gave me a sleeve of TP5x balls to try for a few rounds and I really liked the feel and flight. 23 ProV1s hasLow spin like the left dash off the driver and probably the best short game ball out of any ball out there. Its very linear with spin control where you can ZIp it into a tight flag or dead hands it and let it release. 2023 ProV1x just feels good off all of my clubs and gives a nice high pitch "tink" noise off the putter on pure rolls. I personally hate the new ProV1 and the feel off of my T100's and Vokeys. It has this "CLACK' feel off my irons even though the ball flight and distance looks good. TP5X and 23 ProV1x has a nice powerful click sound and seems more like a match for T100's with PX shafts. 

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 1:25 PM, North Butte said:

It has to be one of the worst-performing balls (for my game) I've experienced in the modern era. 

This is exactly how I felt... the covers were wildly inconsistent too, with a lot of bumps and specks. Was very disappointed in the quality of the balls.

Taylormade Sim Max - Dr, 3W, 3H
Nike Forged Blades - 3-PW

Titleist Vokey SM9 - 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 - P

1 hour ago, kwonye said:

This is exactly how I felt... the covers were wildly inconsistent too, with a lot of bumps and specks. Was very disappointed in the quality of the balls.

That’s the biggest difference I found with the current Taylormade balls and titleist, the taylormades just shred. I’m not a high spin or high swing speed player but a tp5 will do well to last a round without cutting. The current pro v1 however I routinely get 4/5 rounds out of a ball providing it doesn’t get lost or hit a tree really hard. 

My other issue with Taylormade balls is consistency. Every ball out the sleeve seemed to be different in terms of flight, spin, etc. Again I’ve never had that issue with titleist golf balls (or Bridgestone).

These are just my experiences, but Taylormades quality control with their balls matches their clubs from my experiences of both. I used to be a die hard Taylormade fan but won’t game their stuff now due to lots of bad experiences with their QC.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

On 8/14/2023 at 5:03 AM, Hondabuff said:

The New 2023 ProV1x might just be a TP5x with a Titleist logo on it. I have always played a Titleist and used the Left Dash for the longest tenure of 3 seasons. One of my playing partners gave me a sleeve of TP5x balls to try for a few rounds and I really liked the feel and flight. 23 ProV1s hasLow spin like the left dash off the driver and probably the best short game ball out of any ball out there. Its very linear with spin control where you can ZIp it into a tight flag or dead hands it and let it release. 2023 ProV1x just feels good off all of my clubs and gives a nice high pitch "tink" noise off the putter on pure rolls. I personally hate the new ProV1 and the feel off of my T100's and Vokeys. It has this "CLACK' feel off my irons even though the ball flight and distance looks good. TP5X and 23 ProV1x has a nice powerful click sound and seems more like a match for T100's with PX shafts. 

Couldn't agree more about the sound and feel of the ProV1x. I love the control I have with the ProV1x. I felt there was a similar feel and sound with the TP5x and that I had a similar ability to stick the ball close to the pin. BUT, the durability of the ball was questionable and I felt like I was losing about 5-10 yards off a drive and my distances on my irons was just a touch off. 

On 9/11/2023 at 9:10 PM, philly2kuk said:

That’s the biggest difference I found with the current Taylormade balls and titleist, the taylormades just shred. I’m not a high spin or high swing speed player but a tp5 will do well to last a round without cutting. The current pro v1 however I routinely get 4/5 rounds out of a ball providing it doesn’t get lost or hit a tree really hard. 

My other issue with Taylormade balls is consistency. Every ball out the sleeve seemed to be different in terms of flight, spin, etc. Again I’ve never had that issue with titleist golf balls (or Bridgestone).

These are just my experiences, but Taylormades quality control with their balls matches their clubs from my experiences of both. I used to be a die hard Taylormade fan but won’t game their stuff now due to lots of bad experiences with their QC.

Oh wow, their clubs being inconsistent is news to me...

Taylormade Sim Max - Dr, 3W, 3H
Nike Forged Blades - 3-PW

Titleist Vokey SM9 - 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2 - P

22 minutes ago, kwonye said:

Oh wow, their clubs being inconsistent is news to me...

I never said the clubs were inconsistent, I said bad quality control. I’ve had multiple Taylormade putters from the spider blade, spider tour, spider x, etc. all of them had paint flaking issues. Even to this day they haven’t fixed their paint.

I also had an M3 crack, an M5 crack and I’ve got a couple of friends that have had the removable faces on both stealth and stealth 2. Yet I’ve never heard of any issues with other manufacturers. My club pro has returned four stealth twos in the last two months alone for faces coming off. The golf balls are known for poor durability.

I played mainly Taylormade clubs from about 1999 until this year when I just got sick of their poor quality. I’ve got an 18 year old Taylormade rescue dual that’s still fine, multiple v steel fairways that are in great condition for their age and use and never had an issue with their drivers before the m3. It just seems like they’ve saved money on quality since then from my experience. Im sure yours will differ.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]